Photo

Death Penalty

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Poll: Is death penalty right?

Is death penalty right?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 31 August 2003 - 09:35 PM

What do you think of this?

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 10:56 PM

I think that's an easy question ... there becomes a point where keeping a person alive just ain't worth it no mo ... in other words, keeping them alive costs more than their life is worth. Notice I am not talking about just criminals.

#3 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:33 PM

I don't believe that this issue worth to be discussed. Only totally dehumanized Paleozoic minds can insist on keeping up with capital punishment.

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:40 PM

I demand to speak to an attorney on this topic. :starwars:

;)

#5 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:47 PM

Iaba -daba- du who is calling me? :)

#6 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 11:50 PM

Iaba -daba- du who is calling me? :)

Tell that other Gamavor up there, if you would please, why we have capital punishment in our legal system in the US (especially in Texas). Thank you :)

#7 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:19 AM

Because Texans' dollars worth more than the rest in circulation all over the country. :)

#8 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:05 AM

I don't believe that this issue worth to be discussed. Only totally dehumanized Paleozoic minds can insist on keeping up with capital punishment.

Agree 1000000000000%

#9 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:29 AM

You guys suck. :P But the pole is 2-2 :ph34r:

#10 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:30 AM

Because you voted twice... :)

#11 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:32 AM

You guys suck

Ya, you guys should be shot ;)

#12 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:39 AM

Yeah, not really much to talk about. It's interesting to know how the forumers look at it.

#13 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 10:47 AM

This question is too black and white. If someone arbitrarily goes out and kills someone then the death penalty is justified. There is always the chance, however, that the WRONG person is convicted. The death penalty has been shown not to be a deterrent to future murders, yet wanton killing must be punished severely. Even though I have a position on almost everything, on this subject I am in a dilemma.

#14 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 11:20 AM

I am firmly against death penality. It is one of the greatest contradiction, that ones sentence will be the same as for what he has been sentenced.

And, I believe that it is the greatest crime, the most premedited killing of all. There is nothing more cold blooded than the execution of someone for a soc-alled justice that it is NOT. How can anyone understand, or if there is anything to understand, on the killing of someone that is so premedited, or if there is any worst crime that a state could commit.

Anyone that is for death penality, does not realise, that every killing has its reason, that could be understood... but not in this case, because in this case, there is no understanding, the reason why the person has been killed, no one can understand, because the individual like I said, would be killed for a justice that it is not.

Another note: Punishment exist to punish someone, in order to change him, in order to make him a better person, in order that he does not do the same mistake. For that reason, death penality can not be a punishment, it is rather a vengence... because there is no real reason to kill the person. Think about that, a serial killer will kill because of his illness, because of his sociopathic psycopathy, again there is reasons. A raper that kill his victim, the killing is done for a reason again, he don't want to leave traces that would lead to him. So again, in every cases, we can TRY to understand. But what is there to TRY to understand, in the killing of a person, because he was sentenced to death? It is simply called "justice" and there is no way to understand why it is justice to kill someone.

In those extrem cases, of serial killers, dangerious individuals... still there is no reason to kill him.

Those people are like other species that are not part of or evolved civilisation as humans. If after everything we realise that they can never live in society, we isolate them, and they live with their kinds.

We know that letting lions live with humans,m it is dangerious for humans... because the lions will eat them. Is that a reason to kill lions? Those serial killers, psycopathics... are just like that, they can not live with us humans, like lions can not... we must just isolate them so that they can live with their kinds.

#15 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:12 PM

Notice I am not talking about just criminals.

You mean kids right, Sip? :)

Sasun, you posted this under "theology", does that mean "death penalty from a theological perspective", or in general? Theologically I have no idea, but generally, I don't know. I think I'm with Hagarag on this one.

#16 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:55 PM

Domino - I agree on the most part - but what about the sicko who diddles little kids? He's sick, yes, but that's not really a valid excuse, is it? And if Doctors determine that he's not going to get better, well than he's hopeless. A second or a third time offender who has NO fear/concern for the consequences, who has ruined the lives of many children and their families. Does he deserve to live - and to live without a care? Three square meals a day, access to a library, to books and magazines, to computers? Excercise an hour a day - laundry, cigarettes, free health care...man, some people work HARD just to get the life security that he has 'earned' by raping children! And after 20 years, he gets a day pass once in a while to a half-way house, where he gets the opportunity to diddle another little kid. Geez.

I'm on the fence about the Death penality - every instinct in my body tells me it's wrong - but I keep running into examples and instances that scream for it. <_<

#17 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:05 PM

You mean kids right, Sip? :)

Sasun, you posted this under "theology", does that mean "death penalty from a theological perspective", or in general? Theologically I have no idea, but generally, I don't know. I think I'm with Hagarag on this one.

Nairi, the reason I posted in theology is because there was a recent discussion on death penalty in this section and I didn't have time to think where else to put. But what I had in mind, in general, was "yes" or "no", without "if"s and "but"s. I didn't put a "don't know" option on purpose.

Imagine you are on a death row, for whatever reason, and also that you want justice to be held no matter what. So what is the answer, yes or no? This is the kind of the answer I was hoping could be understood. Somebody whose life depends on this qustion doesn't want to hear "i don't know" type of answer.

#18 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:11 PM

Domino, I agree with you. And add one more thing, we are supposed to not only try to change the killer, but also prevent future killings. So we should also try to understand potential killers.

Vava, you are making a valid point. However, no matter what the crime, I think death penalty is wrong. If the child molester is going to go out of jail after some time and do the same thing then it is very unfair and something is wrong with the "correction" he has received. Maybe there simply is no way that we know could change him, but maybe there is or there will be in the future.

#19 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:14 PM

Sasun, can I be really cheeky and say that I hope I'll never have to be in a position where someone else needs to answer that question for me?

The main reason I would be against death penalty is the possibility of an innocent person being held responsible for something he or she didn't do. There have been plenty of cases where innocent people were killed on death row because the law failed to protect them (or whatever).

For a long time I wanted to believe that reforming a person is possible, but I'm beginning to wonder if that really is so. This may be true for many young delinquents, but what about older ones?

At the end of the day, I think I would still opt for life-time imprisonment; and I mean LIFE-TIME, not 20 or 30 years. I mean 'til natural death do them part from this earth.

#20 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 03:14 PM

Vava, if those sicks life is made too easy in prison, it is not a reason to kill them, but rather change the system.

I believe they should be forced to work. I talked about that in the past. A kind of state owned compagny, all what they cost, would be pied by them, and the rest of the profit, return to the society.

Edited by Fadix, 01 September 2003 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users