8 replies to this topic

#1 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

The Armenian Genocide is still an ongoing fact in Turkey. Would the government of Turkey support if the opposite is happening? Like a Muslim Turk converting to any other religion and still be alive? 

News.am, Armenia

May 14 2019

Armenian teen forcibly converted to Islam on Turkey live TV
10:14, 14.05.2019

default.jpg

Cases of forcible religious conversion continue in Turkey. This time an Armenian teen was converted to Islam on live television.

During his religious TV program, Turkish theologian Nihat Hatipoğlu violated the Treaty of Lausanne and applied one of the points that define genocide. He converted 13-year-old Armenian boy named Artur to Islam live on air, and without the presence of his parents.

The Turkish press covered this event as top news.

But this incident is simply unacceptable under the Treaty of Lausanne, as it violates the rights of national and religious minorities, in terms of religious conversion of a minor without the presence of his parents.

In addition, this act also fits into one of the points that define genocide, and according to which it is unacceptable to forcibly convert a child into another religion. In this situation, this case fully fits into that point, since the religious conversion of a minor without the presence of his parents is equal to forcible religious conversion.

https://news.am/eng/news/512425.html

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

Armenpress.am

Garo Paylan plans to file complaint over religious conversion of 13 year-old child, assessing it child exploitation

974792.jpg21:00, 14 May, 2019

YEREVAN, MAY 14, ARMENPRESS. Member of Turkish parliament of Armenian origin Garo Paylan plans to file a complaint against Turkish broadcaster Nihat Hatipoğlu, ARMENPRESS reports Paylan wrote on his Facebook page, referring to the religious conversion of 13 year-old Armenian boy Artur on a live broadcast.

“I have met with the mother of Artur, exploited by Nihat Hatipoğlu. She informed that her son appeared in that program without her permission”, Paylan wrote, adding that tomorrow he will file an official complaint to Supreme Council for Radio and Television and Prosecution against this program that exploits children.

During the program Nihat Hatipoğlu had announced that he has the permission of Artur’s mother, but the mother, Alina Yengibaryan, informed that her son converted to Islam without her knowledge.

The family moved to Turkey 13 years ago. According to the mother, her son and her family are Christian.

Edited and translated by Tigran Sirekanyan

https://armenpress.a...Pn4v0Uxn5R-oZH0

#3 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

News.am, Armenia
May 15 2019

Analyst: 13-year-old Armenian boy's acceptance of Islam is disgrace for Turkey
14:54, 15.05.2019

default.jpg

What happened to the Armenian boy at a Turkish TV station is simply a disgrace. This is what Director of the Institute of Oriental Studies at the National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, Turkologist Ruben Safrastyan said during a May 15 press conference, commenting on a 13-year-old Armenian boy’s (Artur) acceptance of Islam during a live broadcast on a Turkish TV channel.

“This is unacceptable and inadmissible, even from the perspective of Islam. They had no right to do that without taking into consideration the opinion of the child’s parents,” the Oriental studies expert emphasized.

Moreover, Safrastyan stated that this is linked to the policy of the Turkish government, namely President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The analyst also reminded that Turkey has repressed over 100,000 citizens, and this also attests to the unhealthy atmosphere and Erdogan’s authoritarian policy.

Forceful Islamization continues in Turkey, and this time, a young Armenian was the victim. The Islamization took place during a live broadcast. A Turkish spiritual figure Islamized the boy in the absence of his parents, and Turkish presses spread the news as top news.

https://news.am/eng/news/512762.html

#4 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:28 AM

Some Turks has no shame!

Independent, Nigeria

May 15 2019

13-Year-Old Armenian Boy Tricked Into Converting To Islam On Live TV
May 15, 2019

Islam-and-Christianity-696x445.jpg

The mother says “my son did not convert to Islam. We are Armenians and Christians.” The boy had been invited to a live TV event. The theologian Nihat Hatipoğlu, who led him to make the Islamic profession of faith, also changed his name. For the Armenian community, this is a genocidal act because it involves the forced conversion of a minor without the presence and permission of the parents.

A 13-year-old Armenian boy was converted to Islam on live TV in Turkey. The case was the top news item in Turkish media. However, the boy’s parents plan to take the programme’s producers to court for tricking their child.

Last Saturday, on ATV television, theologian Nihat Hatipoğlu, rector of Gaziantep University of Science and Technology, introduced Arthur, a 13-year-old Armenian boy who “wanted” to convert to Islam.

In front of thousands of viewers, Arthur became a Muslim, following Hatipoğlu by repeating the Islamic profession of faith.

Soon after, Hatipoğlu asked him if he wanted to change his name, taking his name, Nihat. Hatipoğlu then said that Arthur/Nihat was a minor, his mother had been asked for authorisation.

In fact, the boy’s mother, Alina Y., told the website lurer.com that “my son did not convert to Islam. We are Armenians and Christians. If I had known, I would have been with my son.”

“Arthur is a naive 13-year-old boy. A Syrian friend of his told him: ‘Come, we’ll talk on live TV. They will give us toys, and we will eat with the stars.’ And my son went with him. He’s a child, he made a mistake, but he did not convert nor was he circumcised.”

The mother contacted Garo Paylan, a member of the Turkish parliament with the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), to explain that her son was invited to the programme without parental authorisation.

Paylan said he would file a child abuse complaint against the programme’s producers.

For the Armenian community, Hatipoğlu’s action violates the Lausanne Treaty since forced conversion represents a breach of its clauses on the rights of ethnic and religious minorities.

What is more, the conversion of children without the presence of their parents is tantamount to forced conversion, which falls within the definition of genocide.

https://www.independ...lam-on-live-tv/

#5 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

AHVAL NEWS
May 15 2019

Turkish theologian under fire after ‘converting’ Armenian boy to Islam on live TV
2019-05-15

Turkish theologian Nihat Hatiopoğlu, known for his popular television shows during Ramadan, created public outcry after he converted 21 people to Islam during a live broadcast on Sunday, including a 13-year old Armenian boy, left-wing Evrensel newspaper reported.

Hatipoğlu converted the boy, Arthur, to Islam, changing his name as Nihat during his top-rated Ramadan show.

Conversion in Islam occurs through the utterance and belief in the shahada, which states ‘’There is no god but God. Muhammad is the messenger of God.’’

The theologian advised to the Armenian boy to learn the values of Islam.

The theologian who has become a household name in Turkey said after the programme that Arthur’s family had consented to the conversion. But, Alina Y., the mother of the Armenian boy, told Armenian web-site lurer.com that she had not given consent.

“My child did not become a Muslim. We are Armenians, Christians. If I knew about it, I would accompany my child, but I did not. I was working,” the mother said.

A Syrian friend told Arthur that they would receive presents and offered food if the participated the television show, the mother said.

“He is a child, he made a mistake. He did not become a Muslim,” Alia Y. said.

While the Turkey’s Human Right Association’s committee on racism and discrimination filed a legal complaint against Hatipoğlu, the mother reached out the Turkish-Armenian lawmaker Garo Paylan from the predominantly Kurdish Democratic People’s Party (HDP).

Paylan said on Wednesday on Twitter that he talked to Arthur’s mother, who told him that she had not given consent for the young boy to take part in the television show. The lawmaker accused Hatipoğlu of abuse and said he would file legal complaints with both the country’s television watchdog and the prosecutor’s office.

https://ahvalnews.co...y-islam-live-tv

#6 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

Asia News, Italy
May 15 2019

A 13-year-old Armenian boy tricked into converting to Islam on live TV

by Marian Demir

The mother says “my son did not convert to Islam. We are Armenians and Christians.” The boy had been invited to a live TV event. The theologian Nihat Hatipoğlu, who led him to make the Islamic profession of faith, also changed his name. For the Armenian community, this is a genocidal act because it involves the forced conversion of a minor without the presence and permission of the parents.

Istanbul (AsiaNews) – A 13-year-old Armenian boy was converted to Islam on live TV in Turkey. The case was the top news item in Turkish media. However, the boy’s parents plan to take the programme’s producers to court for tricking their child.

Last Saturday, on ATV television, theologian Nihat Hatipoğlu, rector of Gaziantep University of Science and Technology, introduced Arthur, a 13-year-old Armenian boy who "wanted" to convert to Islam.

In front of thousands of viewers, Arthur became a Muslim, following Hatipoğlu by repeating the Islamic profession of faith.

Soon after, Hatipoğlu asked him if he wanted to change his name, taking his name, Nihat. Hatipoğlu then said that Arthur/Nihat was a minor, his mother had been asked for authorisation.

In fact, the boy’s mother, Alina Y., told the website lurer.com that “my son did not convert to Islam. We are Armenians and Christians. If I had known, I would have been with my son.”

“Arthur is a naive 13-year-old boy. A Syrian friend of his told him: ‘Come, we’ll talk on live TV. They will give us toys, and we will eat with the stars.’ And my son went with him. He's a child, he made a mistake, but he did not convert nor was he circumcised."

The mother contacted Garo Paylan, a member of the Turkish parliament with the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), to explain that her son was invited to the programme without parental authorisation.

Paylan said he would file a child abuse complaint against the programme’s producers.

For the Armenian community, Hatipoğlu’s action violates the Lausanne Treaty since forced conversion represents a breach of its clauses on the rights of ethnic and religious minorities.

What is more, the conversion of children without the presence of their parents is tantamount to forced conversion, which falls within the definition of genocide.

#7 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:23 PM

:angryfire:

#8 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Panorama, Armenia
May 21 2019

f5ce3aa5dc3ac2_5ce3aa5dc3af7.thumb.jpg
Society 11:35 21/05/2019 Region
Garo Paylan meets with Armenian boy tricked into converting to Islam

Istanbul-Armenian MP Garo Paylan, representing the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), has met with the Armenian boy forcibly converted to Islam on live TV, Ermenihaber reports.

The 13-year-old child, named Artur, was tricked into converting to Islam by famous Turkish theologian and TV personality Nihat Hatipoglu during his Ramadan program. The boy was also renamed to Nihat during the live show broadcast on 11 May.

Paylan posted a photo from the meeting on Facebook, writing: “I met Artur. He is quite well. I will always be there for him and will do my best to protect him from evil.”

Earlier, the lawmaker said he would file a complaint to the Prosecutor General's Office over the case.

Speaking to Ermenihaber, the teen’s mother said he is baptized and attends Armenian church.  

https://www.panorama...y-Islam/2117332

#9 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Al-Ahram Weekly, Egypt
May 22, 2019

Identity and faith abuse under Erdogan

by Nora Koloyan-Keuhnelian

Turkish model of Islam under Erdogan is steering controversy and hatred, reports Nora Koloyan-Keuhnelian

2019-636940761327134525-713.jpg
                                                MP Paylan with the child Arthur; Hatipoglu

In the 12 May episode of "Iftar with Nihat Hatipoglu," aired on the Turkish ATV during Ramadan, a 13-year-old Armenian Christian child was forced to convert to Islam, in a live broadcast from Istanbul's Sultan Ahmet Square, by performing the Muslim declaration of faith. "There is no god but God. Muhammad is the messenger of God," repeated Arthur after Hatipoglu.

The 13-year-old Arthur wished his name be changed to "Nihat" when Hatipoglu asked him if he would ever change it, the latter advising the boy to know the value of Islam and expressing hope he would undertake the Muslim pilgrimage in the future.

Alina, the mother of the child, made a statement to an Armenian Website saying that her child did not become a Muslim: "We are Armenians. I am a Christian. If I had known myself that my son would appear on screen, I would have been with him, but I did not know. He is an innocent child."

According to Arthur's mother, a Syrian friend told Arthur to go on the programme, saying they would "give us toys, and we will eat with the stars". "My son went with his friend. He's a child. He made a mistake, but he did not convert, nor was he circumcised," she told the Website.

"Even if parents had known that their child would appear on TV for religious conversion, it still would have been child abuse and illegal," Turkish writer Uzay Bulut told Al-Ahram Weekly.

Bulut thinks Islamists do not see it as child abuse or a human rights violation.

More than 20 guests have declared their conversion to Islam on the same programme over the past few years, thanks to the Turkish theologian Hatipoglu.

Nihat Hatipoglu, 64, whose birthday happened to be the same day the episode was aired, is from Diyarbekir city, one of the largest in southeast Turkey and often considered the unofficial capital of Northern Kurdistan.

Hatipoglu said the mother of the teen knew in advance what was to be broadcast, but later denied she did. It was said that one of the assistants of Hatipoglu tried to reach the mother before going live, but failed as her Turkish is not good.

The incident was made worse by subtle references to the country's past genocide of Christians. "While public conversions to Islam are a normal part of this show, in the case of Arthur, normal procedures taken to obey Turkey's laws were ignored. His parents never gave consent, and he was encouraged to convert through promises of food and gifts, all in front of thousands of people," International Christian Concern Organisation's Middle East Regional Manager Claire Evans told the Weekly.

Nihat Hatipoglu was appointed president of the Islamic Science and Technology University of Gaziantep by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Evans confirms that Hatipoglu maintains close ties with the Turkish government and that his programme on ATV continues with their blessing.

"This sends a clear, public message to others that the government will ignore violations of the rights of religious minorities," she says. If Turkey is truly concerned about human rights, as it continues to claim in its bid for EU membership, "then they must take these kinds of violations seriously and hold violators accountable for their actions according to due process of law," Evans told the Weekly.

The mother of the child contacted HDP (People's Democratic Party) member of the Turkish parliament for Diyarbekir Garo Paylan, and agreed to file a complaint of child abuse. Paylan, 47, is of Armenian descent who became a member of parliament in 2015, among the first Armenian members of the assembly in decades, along with Selina Dogan and Markar Esayan.

The Human Rights Association Commission Against Racism and Discrimination and the Diyarbakır Bar Association filed criminal complaints against both Hatipoglu and ATV executives indicating that Article 115/3 of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK) and Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), to which Turkey is a signatory, governing freedom of thought, conscience and religion, have been violated.

For Armenians, the act reminds of genocide — the forced conversion of minors belonging to the minority, with neither the presence nor permission of the parents, is something the Ottoman Empire used to practise a century ago.

MP Paylan with the child Arthur; Hatipoglu

"We have an open wound for one hundred years. During the genocide, many relatives of mine were lost, disappeared and died on the migratory routes. Some of them joined Muslim families," Paylan told Bianet Website.

On Monday, Paylan tweeted a photo with Arthur. "I met Arthur, he is fine … I will always be with him, I will protect him as far as I can," he tweeted.

For some time, Arthur attended Istanbul's Hrant Dink school. Anonymous sources told the Weekly that Arthur suffered health and social problems; he changed school several times and couldn't finish his education under difficult living conditions. According to the source, his father's whereabouts is not known.

Meanwhile, Turkey's Supreme Election Council (YSK) has ruled for a rerun of local mayoral elections in Istanbul, scheduled to be held 23 June, as the AKP objected to the election results, claiming there were irregularities and discrepancies in the balloting.

At the time of the elections in April, the AKP clearly violated the Personal Data Protection Law 6698, in order to access private data to "prove" its case with the YSK.

Will this and the child abuse case affect the results of the upcoming elections rerun?

Bulut doesn't think so. "While both practices are illegal, they are not among the criteria that will affect the voting decisions of the majority of Turks. Also, there are laws in Turkey that are supposed to prosecute and try those accused of committing 'crimes against humanity', but they are not observed."

Bulut says the mentality in Turkey is such that no one would implement these laws. "The ruling AKP lost the election in Istanbul because Turkey's currency crisis has been pushing the Turkish economy into a recession. The country's economic situation is getting even worse, so many people are suffering as a result."

The government has ordered the rerun of the Istanbul mayoral elections for one reason only: "to win that city again". "So, the winner of the rerun has already been declared: the AKP," Bulut told the Weekly.

Istanbul's Acting Patriarch Archbishop Aram Ateshian, who maintains close ties with the Turkish government and president, issued a written statement in which he described the conversion incident as "unfortunate" and "unacceptable" not only to the Armenian community of Turkey, but to the Muslim society too.

"We have respect to all religions. There is no doubt that you also have respect to other religions." Ateshian advised Istanbul's community to follow up on developments calmly, adding that the head of the Religious Affairs Department of Turkey, Ali Erpash, had promised to investigate the incident.

The Supreme Council of Radio and Television (RTUK) is the Turkish state agency for monitoring, regulating and sanctioning radio and television broadcasts. The RTUK was founded in 1994 and is composed of nine members elected by the Grand National Assembly of Turkey.

The pro-government ATV, or Aktüel Televizyonu, where the programme was aired, currently belongs to one of the largest media groups in the country, Turkuvaz Media Group (TMG). It is a nationwide TV channel in Turkey since 1993 and it became the country's fifth most popular channel since 2013.

"If Turkey does not enforce their own laws protecting the rights of religious minorities, then the government is sending yet another clear and public warning that it does not respect human rights and exploits media in doing so," Evans told the Weekly.

"At ATV, we are proud of our achievements, and continue to strive to bring you even more," reads the welcome message on the TMG Website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users