• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:39 PM

Hello, I am going to be in Israel for work in the early part of January and would like to know how to get hold of Armenians there. As I understand most Armenians are probably in Jerusalem, perhaps not. I am going to be mainly in Tel-Aviv, is there anything there? I would like to visit the Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem, but would prefer to talk to get in touch with somebody who can give me a little tour wink.gif. Let me know, thanks.

#2 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Nov 28 2005, 10:39 PM)
Hello, I am going to be in Israel for work in the early part of January and would like to know how to get hold of Armenians there. As I understand most Armenians are probably in Jerusalem, perhaps not. I am going to be mainly in Tel-Aviv, is there anything there? I would like to visit the Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem, but would prefer to talk to get in touch with somebody who can give me a little tour wink.gif. Let me know, thanks.

One of the members of this forum "15 levels" I believe lives and works in Tel Aviv as a graphic artist.

#3 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Nov 28 2005, 11:39 PM)

Go here - www.jerusalempottery.biz

#4 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (karakash @ Nov 29 2005, 03:30 PM)
Go here - www.jerusalempottery.biz

Karakash, your site does not open.
Consider this;
http://armenianceram...tory-World.html

As it was mentioned Ruben Malayan lives and works in TelAviv. His nickname at HyeForum is 15 Levels.
Besides, there is an Armenian convent in Jaffa/TelAviv while the bulk of Armenians in Palestine live in or around the Vang, St. James Convent in the Armenian Quarter of Jerusalem.
One of many;
http://www.armenian-patriarchate.org/

Edited by Arpa, 29 November 2005 - 10:40 AM.

#5 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:11 PM

Arpa:

The first link, about the Balians; could they be the remnants of the great Balians who build palaces and churches in Istanbul? I wonder; but they are also in pottery. Their works are wonderful, especially the ceramics.

Edited by Anahid Takouhi, 29 November 2005 - 12:21 PM.

#6 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 01:45 PM

thank you, thank you. Looking forward to seeing the Armenian Quarter and St. James Church.

#7 karakash

karakash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Nov 29 2005, 02:45 PM)
thank you, thank you. Looking forward to seeing the Armenian Quarter and St. James Church.

http://www.jerusalempottery.biz/

It should work - I just tried it.

There were three great pottery families who came to Jerusalem - Ohanessian, Karakashian and Balian. Ohanessian stayed until 1948 and the Karakashian-Balian joint workshop lasted from 1922 to about 1964. Since 1964, the families have worked separately and continue to work to this day. Our family was in the December 1927 issue of the National Geographic Magazine in a piece on Jerusalem. We have hundreds of their works in our home, a few from the time they were in Kutahya. The Israeli goverment even issued stamps in their honor in 2003. This is all listed at www.jerusalempottery.biz and also at http://www.uwic.ac.u...04/armenian.htm. That link has a wealth of information. Don't fall for the copied ones - only the Karakashians and Balians are the original founders that still work. Sandrouni copies everything and the rest are mainly machine made and cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users