#1 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:29 PM

This may be more of the case in the US than in other countries as in US people are very credit hungry and are horrible at saving money

Few shocking facts
-BusinessWeek says that total household debt in the US was more than 130% of our disposable annual income last year. Now that is scary.

-The total consumer debt is at 2.1 trillion dollars. (You can visualize a trillion dollars as a stack of $100 bills placed one on top of the other, flat side on top of flat side, reaching 740 miles high.)

-The personal credit card debt carried by the average American is $9,215 and the total interest paid in 2003 was $53 billion.... an average of $1080 in interest per consumer. The average consumer caries 13 cards and 20% of cards are maxed out.

-There were 1.4 credit card holders declaring bankruptcy in 2002. Bankruptcies have exceeded 1 million per year every year for at least 7 years now.

---------------------------

How many of us fall in at least one of these categories?

I have to say that I was always careful with the way I managed my credit in the old days when I did not earn much, but as my income had gone up so has my debt. without giving any numbers I can say that I have 3 credit cards and one gas card, I only use 1 of the cards, keep another 1 in my wallet just in case and 1 at home JUST in case. Obviously the other 2 cards are at 0 but one of my cards is out of whack. I own probably 2 months of my take home salary on it and each month I seem to pay 2000-2500 and cant get the stupid thing to go down. sad.gif Other than that I have a huge mortgage but that is under control and not too much I can do. I do pay half my tax return as an extra payment each year to make the darn thing end faster and in 6 years I have cut an extra 6 years from the length.

How do you guys manager your credit cards? other dept in general?

Edited by Azat, 21 December 2004 - 06:30 PM.

#2 dianjan

dianjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:37 PM

I am very careful with my credit, but it's a little bit different for me. I still live at home with parents, thus I do not have all of the expenses. I know my limit of how much I can spend a month, and I try to spend within that limit. I give my self a little cussion, so that if I need to spend more, I do not go in debt. I like using credit cards, because they are easier to use, and I don't like to carry cash. I always make sure to pay the full amount every month, and I think I only paid half once.

#3 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:53 PM

No problem for me, I don't have a credit card... the problem is in the hand of the one from whom I borrow it... because that person has always to run after me, so I pay him back. smile.gif

#4 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:31 PM

I don't like to owe money, but I use credit cards as much as possible to earn points. But I always pay my credit card bills in time (at least I try, as I have forgotten to pay a few times). One thing I don't like is I have about 10 credit cards but use only 1 or 2.
And I can't close the rest because I heard it is not good for credit history.

#5 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:39 PM

I have about 10 credit cards sad.gif And almost all of them are maxed out. sad.gif And lets forget about all the late mayments. cry.gif

#6 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (ExtraHye @ Dec 21 2004, 07:39 PM)
I have about 10 credit cards sad.gif  And almost all of them are maxed out. sad.gif  And lets forget about all the late mayments. cry.gif

Extra jan late mayments are ok but if you have late Paymants - ohh gooood your in Deeeppppp S&8

#7 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 09:49 PM

Credit card companies prey on naive/optimistic college students. On your first day, as you walk to class, you are seduced with cheap gifts and entrapped in the world of "buy now, pay later." And the "later" seems much brighter with a 4 year degree under your belt. Such BS wink.gif

#8 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Dec 21 2004, 08:31 PM)
I don't like to owe money, but I use credit cards as much as possible to earn points. But I always pay my credit card bills in time (at least I try, as I have forgotten to pay a few times). One thing I don't like is I have about 10 credit cards but use only 1 or 2.
And I can't close the rest because I heard it is not good for credit history.

Like you, I don't like to be or feel in debt!
I only use it to
- shop online
- pay my bills
- pay for big items

I usually pay in full! I'm not good at paying my bills on time, that is why I subscribe to automatic payment plans. Also, in order to avoid late payments of my credit card bills, I avoid credit cards that do not offer the option to automatically debit my bank account!
I have better things to do in life than balance my check books....something, I've NEVER done! I can't see myself counting and adding and...I just can't do it! Too painful! I'd rather put extra hours at work!

#9 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:18 PM

Aneta that is how I got my first card as well. and Yes credit card companies really make alot of money on the poor college students.

#10 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Siamanto @ Dec 21 2004, 11:07 PM)
I usually pay in full!

Oh, I pay in full too, and it time. I don't imagine myself buying stuff while my pockets are empty. I would never rely on credit cards.

Edited by Sasun, 21 December 2004 - 10:21 PM.

#11 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Dec 21 2004, 10:49 PM)
Credit card companies prey on naive/optimistic college students.  On your first day, as you walk to class, you are seduced with cheap gifts and entrapped in the world of "buy now, pay later."  And the "later" seems much brighter with a 4 year degree under your belt.  Such BS  wink.gif

The best thing to do is to pay all your bills on time and disappoint them.

#12 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Dec 21 2004, 08:22 PM)
The best thing to do is to pay all your bills on time and disappoint them.

But pulling their strings is much more fun wink.gif

Edited by Sulamita, 21 December 2004 - 10:32 PM.

#13 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Dec 21 2004, 11:30 PM)
But pulling their strings is much more fun  wink.gif

Perhaps, but don't you think that type of fun is too costly? smile.gif

#14 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Dec 21 2004, 08:36 PM)
Perhaps, but don't you think that type of fun is too costly? smile.gif

Nothing is too costly when it comes to emotional satisfaction wink.gif

#15 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Dec 21 2004, 11:37 PM)
Nothing is too costly when it comes to emotional satisfaction  wink.gif

Well, if that's the case, feel free to buy me expensive Christmas gifts on your credit cards and hit the cap wink.gif

#16 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Dec 21 2004, 08:40 PM)
Well, if that's the case, feel free to buy me expensive Christmas gifts on your credit cards and hit the cap wink.gif

See, X-mas shopping irritates me, which in effect causes emotional dis-satisfaction. Sorry kiddo, no can do wink.gif

#17 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Dec 21 2004, 11:44 PM)
See, X-mas shopping irritates me, which in effect causes emotional dis-satisfaction.  Sorry kiddo, no can do  wink.gif

Well, don't give up yet on your emotional satisfaction. Think about it, there maybe workarounds. For example, you could lend me your credit cards and I would be happy to do all the shopping and return your credit cards to you. Deal? wink.gif

#18 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Dec 21 2004, 08:47 PM)
Well, don't give up yet on your emotional satisfaction. Think about it, there maybe workarounds. For example, you could lend me your credit cards and I would be happy to do all the shopping and return your credit cards to you. Deal? wink.gif

OK. That one works. But in the meanwhile, you have to shop for everyone on my list wink.gif

#19 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Dec 21 2004, 11:48 PM)
OK.  That one works.  But in the meanwhile, you have to shop for everyone on my list  wink.gif

Ahh, thanks, I think I would rather use my own credit cards sad.gif Seems like you have learned some stuff from credit card companies.

#20 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:56 PM

Sas, what happened to your candle bud?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users