#1 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 06 March 2002 - 01:17 AM

The political lines are now clearly drawn, no Dick Riordan to win over supporters such as myself. We will see that the Simon family does not complete their journey from Paterson to the Governor's Mansion in Sacramento. We assured that Missakian would lose after the vicious hatchet-job his henchmen did on Krekorian. Mangassarian, we will be gunning for you and for whomever you support. You have underestimated Gray Davis before and you underestimate him again. If a seasoned Conservative like Lungren couldn't win, neither can a neophyte Conservative. Neither Lungren nor Simon have the Reagan or Riordan charisma.

#2 Anshnork

Anshnork

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Art, history, philosophy, theology, politics, literature, & music.

Posted 06 March 2002 - 04:08 PM

Hagarag-
I was absolutely shocked and appalled when I heard that Bill Simon won the Republican nomination. I CANNOT believe it. WHO in California voted for this ultra-conservative?? I don't think he stands a chance. Riordan could have pulled off a Republican victory maybe, but I honestly don't think Simon can win. I think Davis will have a much easier time defeating Simon than Riordan. Are you a supporter of Gray Davis?

#3 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 04:59 PM

I am a centrist and have supported moderate Republicans in the past, but I financially supported Gray Davis in the last election and will support him again this year. FYI, as a proud Armenian even I supported Deukmejian and voted for Wilson the first time he ran for Governor, before he showed his true colors, or perhaps before the conservatives twisted his arm. The Republicans have painted themselves into a corner again. The conservatives are on a holy war. Their main objective is to remold America in their image. Winning with someone like Riordan would not meet their objectives. I expect them to lose again this year. Davis has information that will not only place an earthquake under Simon but place a poitical "knife" at the heart of the Administration in Washington. Enrongate is imminent. Cheney=Agnew and Bush=Nixon.

#4 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 06 March 2002 - 09:51 PM

Credit needs to be given to Davis for spending 10 million to defeat Riordan prior to Riordan even having a chance to ran against him. That was a great move.

I however have a problem with Davis. I plan not to vote for a governor this year because I cannot see myself voting for Davis because of the mess he made of the energy problems in California and I will not vote for any other party other than a democrat.

#5 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 10:25 PM

Azat,

Davis' energy dilemmas were engineered in secret backroom meetings at the Naval Observatory in Washington, home of the VP of the US. A scandal of the magnitude of Watergate.

#6 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 10:37 PM

Are you saying that the millions that he spent in that panic that he was in was really not his fault? And when he to this day has not told the Californians how much money was wasted on the energy mismanaged mess was not his fault either.

I do not by any means think that Davis was responsible for the mess that was created in the state by Wilson and his cronies, but Davis made it worse. His own people were benefiting from the entire mess. In fact, I am certain that if Davis does not get reelected(which is close to an impossibility now) he will be working for Edison within few months of being out of office.

#7 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hagarag:
Azat,

Davis' energy dilemmas were engineered in secret backroom meetings at the Naval Observatory in Washington, home of the VP of the US. A scandal of the magnitude of Watergate.

By the way, the energy crisis, or should we call it as it really is "Financial shortage for energy companies" was started prior to Bush and his cronies came into office.

One additional comment, Californians are 49 in the country in terms of energy usage per capita and the state produces far more energy than it is required for the state, however the energy companies created the shortage artificially to make billions off of you and I.

#8 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,682 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

City News Service
May 8, 2018 Tuesday 11:26 PM PST

Former Gov. George Deukmejian Dies at 89 in Long Beach

LONG BEACH (CNS) - Former California Gov. George Deukmejian, who served two terms as the state's chief executive in the 1980s, died today at his home in Long Beach at age 89.

Deukmejian's family confirmed his death in a statement to the Los Angeles Times.

A former member of the state Assembly and an ex-California attorney general, the Republican Deukmejian was the first person of Armenian descent to serve as a governor.

He was elected to the Assembly in 1962, then to the state Senate four years later. He became California attorney general in 1979 and served in that role until he was elected governor in 1983.

A native of New York, Deukmejian's parents came to the United States to escape the Armenian genocide. He earned his law degree from St. John's University, and he served as an attorney during a three-year stint in the U.S. Army.

He moved to California in 1955 after leaving the Army, and he set up a law practice in Long Beach. He eventually decided to run for public office, fueled by a passion for law enforcement and public safety. As governor, he championed prison construction and oversaw a tripling of the state's prison population.

Despite the increase in prison spending, he was credited with dramatically slashing the state's budget deficit

His often no-nonsense demeanor earned him the nickname "Iron Duke."

"I used my veto powers more than 4,000 times as governor," Deukmejian told the Long Beach Press-Telegram in 2011. "The Democrats dominated the Legislature, and I'd constantly use the line-item veto on spending and taxes. I'd also use the veto on bills I didn't like. Not one of my vetoes were ever overturned."

Deukmejian married his wife in 1957, and they had two daughters, Leslie and Andrea, and a son, George.

In the 2011 interview with the Press-Telegram, he pointed to his overhauling of the state Supreme Court has a hallmark of his governorship, while also improving the state's business climate.

"I think we were very business friendly," he said. "I also was the person that brought back the death penalty in California when I was a senator, but unfortunately, the courts have pretty well hamstrung that with one decision after another against it."

Gov. Jerry Brown, who preceded Deukmejian as governor, said Deukmejian "was a popular governor and made friends across the political aisle. Anne and I join all Californians in expressing our deepest condolences to his family and friends."

Former Gov. Gray Davis said in a statement posted on Twitter that he was "tremendously sad" at Deukmejian's death, saying he served the state with honor and distinction, "including signing legislation prohibiting California pensions from investing in apartheid South Africa. George's leadership moved the arch of history (and) changed the world."

Former Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe called Deukmejian "one of the kindest and most authentic men I ever met."

"Not only was he my longtime friend and my mentor who swore me in for my first term and my last term in office, but he was also a class act," Knabe said.

Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia also hailed the longtime resident of his city, saying, "The entire Long Beach community is mourning the loss of Gov. George Deukmejian. The governor was a longtime Long Beach resident and began his career as a local attorney. He has supported Long Beach his whole life. Our prayers and thoughts are with Gloria and his family."

• onjig likes this

#9 onjig

onjig

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Location:Ranch in Sierra Nevada Mountains, California, Ranch in Nevada
  • Interests:Family, Armenia, Armenians,skiing, crop, too much to list.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

Akh George ~ God be with you George ~ we love you ```

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users