ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:literature

Posted 11 June 2001 - 09:53 AM

AFTERNOON REFLECTIONS
After writing for Armenians for 25 years I have learned to discriminate honest disagreement from phony one-upmanship whose intent is not to make a contribution to the dialogue but to assert non-existent intellectual superiority.

A reader writes: "If your intention is to unite all Armenians, you are going about it the wrong way."
Unite all Armenians? What an absurd notion! All I want to do now is expose charlatans. Charlatans cannot be converted. Charlatans are our problem and as such they cannot be part of the solution. Asking them to become partisans of solidarity would amount to asking foxes to unite with chickens. Talk of unity with chickens to a fox and he will think you are talking about lunch.

And I think of the pyramids of Egypt: what are they if not monuments to human degradation! -- products of ignorance and arrogance on the one hand, and on the other, subservience and fear. They should bring tears to our eyes, not awe and admiration.

To anyone whose degree of self-objectivity is low, any honest assessment is bound to come as a shock.

#2 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 10:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ara baliozian:
AFTERNOON REFLECTIONS
After writing for Armenians for 25 years I have learned to discriminate honest disagreement from phony one-upmanship whose intent is not to make a contribution to the dialogue but to assert non-existent intellectual superiority.

A reader writes: "If your intention is to unite all Armenians, you are going about it the wrong way."
Unite all Armenians? What an absurd notion! All I want to do now is expose charlatans. Charlatans cannot be converted. Charlatans are our problem and as such they cannot be part of the solution. Asking them to become partisans of solidarity would amount to asking foxes to unite with chickens. Talk of unity with chickens to a fox and he will think you are talking about lunch.

And I think of the pyramids of Egypt: what are they if not monuments to human degradation! -- products of ignorance and arrogance on the one hand, and on the other, subservience and fear. They should bring tears to our eyes, not awe and admiration.

To anyone whose degree of self-objectivity is low, any honest assessment is bound to come as a shock.

Maestro, I hate charlatans. But you should be aware of danger while tracing them. You can be caught by your own devotion.
We witnessed already the "witch-hunt". I don't think another hunt will be funnier.
After all, we are all witches...

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2001 - 10:23 AM

I think in 25 years you only learnt how to insult people.

#4 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 11 June 2001 - 03:39 PM

I don't feel insulted, for example. Why do you feel so, Hovik?

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2001 - 04:40 PM

read the previous messages may be you will see

I just want to point out when people run out of arguments they start insulting rather than presenting valid arguments I very much appreciate the way you are discussing in the other part of this forum. If mister Baliozian is such an expert in these issues let's discuss. I am presenting facts I never pretend to be an expert, however I am here at the heart of this country and I feel that Mr Baliozian sometimes assert things without being hundred percent sure of them.

#6 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 05:02 PM

Dear Hovik,

I have read it. I don't see why is it insulting. Sure, it is not "all honey and nut." But I think we can take it.

As to not asserting things that we are not 100% sure about them, we should not implement that criterion selectively against Ara. If we (all of us) would have said here things that we agree on, or are 100% sure only, under the best scenario this forum would've resembled a banquet around a dining table with occasional interruptions for toasts.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2001 - 05:24 PM

ok but then when the reply is posted let's keep calm or you have to create a special section for him where replying is not possible. We are not here to read anybody's postings as the ten commandments are we?

#8 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 11 June 2001 - 05:45 PM

I think we have to keep calm under any circumstances. Besides, one always has a choice between the left-click and right-click buttons of his/her mouse, right?

#9 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 June 2001 - 06:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hovik:
read the previous messages may be you will see

I just want to point out when people run out of arguments they start insulting rather than presenting valid arguments I very much appreciate the way you are discussing in the other part of this forum. If mister Baliozian is such an expert in these issues let's discuss. I am presenting facts I never pretend to be an expert, however I am here at the heart of this country and I feel that Mr Baliozian sometimes assert things without being hundred percent sure of them.

Hovik, with ara you should be careful in making fast conclusions. He is one of those rare armenians, who got still a good taste for autocritisism. Most of his writings are rather dialogues than monologues. Have a look again!

[ June 12, 2001: Message edited by: naira ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users