ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:literature

Posted 26 July 2001 - 11:07 PM

PROPAGANDA (ii)
What’s wrong with propaganda? Everybody does it. What’s so terrible about assessing oneself favorably? It comes naturally to all of us. What’s so shocking about thinking of oneself as slightly better, or unique, and morally or intellectually superior?
As always, the Greeks had a word for it and a story to dramatize it.
Once upon a time there was a lovely young lady by the name of Echo who fell madly in love with a handsome young devil by the name of Narcissus. But Narcissus was too infatuated with himself (or reflections of himself) to have time for anyone else, so he said to her: "I will die before I ever make love to you!" Poor heart-broken Echo then spent the rest of her life in lonely glens, pining away for love and mortification until only her voice remained.
We too behave like Echo when we become infatuated with a reflection of our own image or wishful thinking, and, instead of coming to grips with reality, we condemn ourselves to spend the rest of our lives in empty verbiage, lamentation, defeatism and despair.
To believe in one’s own lies or to confuse shadow with substance, or wishful thinking with fact, is the beginning of all insanity.

#2 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 01:23 PM

Excellent! I rest my case your Honor!

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2001 - 06:31 PM

Yours is a sort of propaganda too Ara. Although there are so many things which are true in what you say. I firmly believe you are paid to do this job of trying to brainwash armenians. Your attitude is not any better than that of people you criticize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users