What's your favorite point of Armenian character?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2000 - 03:40 PM

Why don't we switch to positive????
What's your favorite point of Armenian character!?

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2000 - 04:00 PM

Excellent point Nvard. I believe Armenians have a knack for adapting to other cultures while maintaining their own as well. They are on the whole, very gifted in learning languages. I am not saying it is genetic, I just believe it is cultural. Armenians were famous as translators for the Ottoman Empire, those poor Turks just couldn't learn anything other than their Mongolian language(there, finally some Turk bashing on my part!)

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2000 - 04:27 PM

The Best part of Armenian character has to be the great hospitality we posses. Anywhere that you go and you see an Armenian there is a great amount of hospitality that they express. Hospitality is just part of our culture, and I believe that is what binds us together, and keeps conflicts out.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2000 - 08:01 PM

Armenian have enormous respect towards other people and treats them as equal and even sometimes as superiors... I think that's why strangers usually like Armenians.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2000 - 05:32 PM

I agree about the hospitality of Armenians. Even if they have a dry piece of bread they will share it with everyone. I think this is a universal Middle-eastern characteristic, even with those Turks! Latinos also have this trait. I used to work with a lot of Mexicans and Salvadorans. Even if they had one tamale, they would share it with me, not to mention their other delicious, fattening foods! I guess they get that via the Arab occupation of Spain.

Armenians are probably the most hospitable of all, though I must as usual speak for the Iranians as well. Armenians derive great satisfaction out of seeing people eating and enjoying their food.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2000 - 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nvard:
Why don't we switch to positive????
What's your favorite point of Armenian character!?

Oh my, there are so many I could go on and on. I agree with all the posts above. I would have to add - generocity, devotion (especially to family), respect and a sence of humor I would also like to mention the special treatment armenian men display towards women (especially armenian women). That alone puts them on the top of my list

I also think what makes us special is our sence of pride as an ARMENIAN. We (most of us at least) are never ashamed of who we are ...

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2000 - 01:47 AM

The best point of being Armenian, is the fact that even though we were tortured , killed , massacred, robbed and chased , we still go on living and claiming our pride of being ARMENIAN.
Yes we are not nice to each other, but we are excellent with non-Armenians. People talk about us nicely.
Unlike others we have never been ‘parasites’ in the societies we live ( even though lately some of our fellow brothers are trying hard to demolish , what we have accomplished with sweat and tears for the last 100 years).
Europeans, Americans, Iranians, Arabs used to talk with respect about us. Lets try keep it that way.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2000 - 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raffiaharonian:
Yes we are not nice to each other, but we are excellent with non-Armenians. People talk about us nicely.
Europeans, Americans, Iranians, Arabs used to talk with respect about us. Lets try keep it that way.

Raffi,

I think that is partially true. Maybe we are not very nice to one another, but in time of need, almost every single Armenian will not hesitat to help. We have always been known for our willingness to help someone in need.

And yes people do talk nicely about us, but that is starting to change. So, I think what ever single one of us should do is - remember, whenever you meet a non-Armenian, in a sence you are representing a whole nation and people. Make sure you leave a good impression, because an overall impression is formed by a few opinions of individuals.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2000 - 03:12 PM

That is so true that odars have an overall positive image of Armenians. In Iran the closest thing to a negative stereotype that Persians have of Armenians is that we are workaholics! Not bad really. Just about everyone I meet here in Southern California whether Anglo, Mexican or Black knows this "Armenian" guy who is successful and hardworking and whose wife or mom makes that "baklavi or something" that tastes delicious.Keep it up Armenians, lets give the world a good impression.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2000 - 05:44 PM

I think you are wrong, when you judge Armenians not knowing them! We don't have our traditions? You've got to visit Armenia more often than you do. I think Armenia is one of the only countries that still keep traditions up to now. Look at the respect to elders: I've never argued with my father or my brothers... Elders are always right! This is one of the most important thing Armenians must know. If you enter the elders discussions while you are just a teenage, this will just show that your parents did not grow you in the right way... Especially talking about girls with elders (your father, uncles etc.) In Armenia girls still are not allowed to go to Discos and having boyfriends (except Yerevan, which has been changed rapidly). Girls must have only one man, and that is husband. And etc. etc. etc.

Now, answer if we are not traditional? We are very much!

quote:
Originally posted by farsisteve@aol.com:
Excellent point Nvard. I believe Armenians have a knack for adapting to other cultures while maintaining their own as well. They are on the whole, very gifted in learning languages. I am not saying it is genetic, I just believe it is cultural. Armenians were famous as translators for the Ottoman Empire, those poor Turks just couldn't learn anything other than their Mongolian language(there, finally some Turk bashing on my part!)

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2000 - 06:05 PM

Arthur!
I must say that I am quite happy to hear this! Armenians keeping the traditions? Wow! Shad ourakh em. I wasn't sure.
But won't the trend of Yerevan spread?

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2000 - 11:56 AM

Wow!
I guess nothing will spread, if the girls (and the guys)have some brains...
Just be smart and keep up with your culture.

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2000 - 06:00 AM

Hopefully not! But i am 100% sure not in my family, we are too strict. Yerevani people are getting more westernised, and these changes affect their views and traditions, however the most families are very traditional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users