• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 13 December 2003 - 06:06 PM

As I’ve indulged myself into further reading of history it came to me as a form of enlightenment that history is extremely bias towards what it selects to portray. Having a conversation with many of my male friends and acquaintances , some of which are professors of History and in academical positons as well as many other fields, I realized that I was absolutely correct. Perhaps this dawned on me a little late, but just like everyone else I was probably a victim of just accepting the information that is fed to the masses. To be more concrete on what I am trying to express I shall expand on what exactly I mean.

I realized that women throughout history are mainly accounted for their roles in reproduction or contributions to their husband’s causes. Many of great rulers which are women are still projected through their husband’s roles in history and are mainly mentioned as co rulers. I find that something is absolutely wrong with this image, it’s not due to the fact that I rebel against the role women were forced to play in the past, but merely because I don’t believe that only such images existed. Although women were strongly conditioned to fit a certain standard of a carved figure that was prescribed to them at birth, this is not valid enough to believe that none had completely different ambitions and went against the grain to achieve what wasn’t cosidered "characteristic of their nature".

Now to go on further I did a brief research, and I must say that it takes a good amount of time to weed out irrelevant information to reach the desired substance. I rebel against the idea that women didn’t cause an impact on history and didn’t leave solid footprint in history aside from baby making and supporting their male partners, thus I present to you women that played a separate role and went against conventional and preconstituted expectations.

I present to you the unpopular and often unexposed side of history.

#2 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 13 December 2003 - 06:10 PM

Lets start with our beloved US of A. Did you know that:

We'll probably never know how many women inventors there were. That's because in the early years of the United States, a woman could not get a patent in her own name. A patent is considered a kind of property, and until the late 1800s laws forbade women in most states from owning property or entering into legal agreements in their own names. Instead, a woman's property would be in the name of her father or husband.

For example, many people believe that Sybilla Masters was the first American woman inventor. In 1712 she developed a new corn mill, but was denied a patent because she was a woman. Three years later the patent was filed successfully in her husband's name.

And then we have some men that say, “Feminism is just a fallacy, it’s all a hoax and is widely blown out of proportion. What did women accomplish with it, a right to vote? Heh, so that they can vote for men?” mad.gif rolleyes.gif

#3 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 06:16 PM

Of course the other extreme is those who believe the "profoundly deep" meaning of the now famous quote "behind every great man is a great woman". Not too many realize that this type of thinking didn't take roots until after the feminist movement and such statements had little real meaning a couple of hundred or more years ago.

Not to say that women have been just bystanders .. they have certainly played their roles I am sure. Just claiming that "great men" don't deserve credit for their greatness is just as stupid as believing great women haven't existed!

ABC recently had an interesting program about the truth behind Marry Magdalen and her relationship with Jesus. Although their findings about her were inconclusive, they did conclude that her preceived role and character has significantly been distroted by the male dominated church and that in fact, she might have been one of Jesus's most loyal disciples and probably a much more influencial person in the christian faith than many "officials" have considered her to be.

#4 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 06:23 PM

Did you know that in 1845, Sarah Mather received a patent for the invention of a submarine telescope and lamp. This was a remarkable device that permitted sea-going vessels to survey the depths of the ocean. Wow, quite unordinary how a woman came up with a device which at that time was mainly associated with the male dominated industry, I would have expected something along the lines of a Barbie Doll. huh.gif

This is what I got when I did a search on her, and many others were just like this one with just 1or 2 lines of information. I wonder why not many know about female inventors.

http://www.astr.ua.e...0WS/MATHER.html

#5 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Dec 13 2003, 08:16 PM)
Of course the other extreme is those who believe the "profoundly deep" meaning of the now famous quote "behind every great man is a great woman". Not too many realize that this type of thinking didn't take roots until after the feminist movement and such statements had little real meaning a couple of hundred or more years ago.

Not to say that women have been just bystanders .. they have certainly played their roles I am sure. Just claiming that "great men" don't deserve credit for their greatness is just as stupid as believing great women haven't existed!

ABC recently had an interesting program about the truth behind Marry Magdalen and her relationship with Jesus. Although their findings about her were inconclusive, they did conclude that her preceived role and character has significantly been distroted by the male dominated church and that in fact, she might have been one of Jesus's most loyal disciples and probably a much more influencial person in the christian faith than many "officials" have considered her to be.

Yes Seap you are correct, that statement was brought into existence after the feminist movement, however the concept was clearly evident in the past hence the statement finally took form. It is out fear of being shunned and being at risk of being ridiculed that such statement didn’t surface earlier.

Those claiming that “great men” didn’t deserve credit, are highly ignorant therefore should be stripped of any valid opinion they might hold, since the statement is based on a very subjective, false and prejudice view. That is simply a display of a sciolist. However believing that great women haven't existed is a result of a selective education that is fed to the masses. This is the reason why I feel so compelled to share this information, to brake the common belief that it is mainly men that shaped history, for unconsciously we start accepting that. Once again we are not dealing with extremes, and in every system and category extremes exist, I try to stay clear of gearing towards a very conservative and pretentious way of thinking.

I am simply trying to expose, what history rarely covers in depth, it was done for a purpose to suppress this liberal up rise of women that has finally taken place. Based only upon men’s fear of how women are to use the power they might aquire. It is a very specific power of the mind that shifts the whole idea of physical power being more dominating and influential, it is the power of the mind and sex that women hold above men subconsciously ascribed to them by men. And men being subject to it, are often scared of how it would be used if it is given full freedom. Thus they often exercised their insecurities by placing specific restrictions on a possibility of a woman gaining any kind of influence or rights. To further support my claim, read below.

In the 3rd century BC, Roman women filled the Capitoline Hill and blocked every entrance to the Forum when consul Marcus Porcius Cato, resisted attempts to repeal laws limiting women’s use of expensive goods. “If they are victorious now, what will they not attempt.” Cato cried, “As soon as they begin to be your equals, they will have become your superiors.”

This fear postmarked an engraved mentality that was to continue for thousands of years until recently and even now in some insecure minds it is still persistent.

#6 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 09:48 PM

These are some Women Inventors and their inventions.

-1845 Sarah Mather invented the submarine lamp and telescope

-1871 Margaret Knight invented a flat-bottomed grocery-bag making machine

-1881 Mary Blanchard designed the elevated railway system

-1883 Harriett Tracy invented the fire escape

-1887 Harriet Williams Strong designed a new dam and reservoir construction

-1891 Catherine Diener invented the rolling pin

-1898 Marie Curie discovered a way to extract radioactive material from ore

-1899 Letitia Geer invented the medical syringe

-1903 Mary Anderson invented the windshield wiper

1904 Margaret Knight invented the rotary engine

-1913 Elena Mayolini DeValdes invented a bottle stopper

-1928 Marjorite Joyner invented the permanent wave machine

-1935 Eva Landman invented the umbrella

-1938 Katherine Blodgett invented non-reflecting glass

-1950 Bette Nesmith Graham invented Liquid Paper

-1955 Rosalyn Yalow developed a technique for measuring tiny concentrations of biological substances or drugs in the blood and other body fluids. In 1977 she was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine.

-1954 Gertrude Elion received her first of over 45 patents for mercaptopurine, a disease-fighting drug. She was awarded the 1988 Nobel Prize for Medicine.

-1994 Jan B. Svochak invented the bifocal contact lens and the process for making them.

What can I say I am impressed! smartass.gif punk.gif clap.gif cheers.gif

Edited by anileve, 13 December 2003 - 09:49 PM.

#7 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 13 December 2003 - 09:59 PM

Cool list...thanks Anileve!

These women were truly pioneers - and a testaent that it not only men with the (technical) smarts or know-how/ability to apply it etc...However the great imbalance for such in history is clearly attibutable to the restrictive life paths that most women have had to endure throughout history(particualrly since the ascendency of patriarchial monotheistic based cultures). And to any who profess beliefs and attitudes that women should continue to be denied equal access/oppurtunity to pretty much any potential carreer field - or in any way advocates denial of oppurtunity for women to pursue their dreams - whatever they may be - on an equal footing with men - as free humans should be - well a pox on them!

(how did I do? ...will this be considered sufficient pay off for that vote? ...OK..good..I won't tell anyone if you wont...)

#8 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:10 PM

Based only upon men’s fear of how women are to use the power they might aquire. It is a very specific power of the mind that shifts the whole idea of physical power being more dominating and influential, it is the power of the mind and sex that women hold above men subconsciously ascribed to them by men. And men being subject to it, are often scared of how it would be used if it is given full freedom. Thus they often exercised their insecurities by placing specific restrictions on a possibility of a woman gaining any kind of influence or rights.

Hi Anilive,

Great thoughts. Yes, men's real fear is the mental control but not because of some earthly reasons. Women are the representatives of Earth, men are the representatives of Sky (Yin/Yang). Men are the carriers of the Spirit, which becomes alive here on earth through women. Women do not carry this spirit. So the fear of men is that if women gain the power the opportunity for this process will be lost forever.
Women get exposed to this spirit when they give birth. That's why the idea of Mother is so important.

In the 3rd century BC, Roman women filled the Capitoline Hill and blocked every entrance to the Forum when consul Marcus Porcius Cato, resisted attempts to repeal laws limiting women’s use of expensive goods. “If they are victorious now, what will they not attempt.” Cato cried, “As soon as they begin to be your equals, they will have become your superiors.”

This was the beginning of the fall of the Roman Empire smile.gif

By the way I think the greatest woman of all times was Joan of Arc.

Edited by ArmenSarg, 13 December 2003 - 10:10 PM.

#9 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:14 PM

You are a riot THOTH, always lobbying! My vote is irrelevant in this case since you are ahead of other contestants by far. You apparently have a very established fan club. laugh.gif wink2.gif

It is just interesting that some men view female issues as non important and fail to realize the importance of feminism and women’s movement. It is those kinds of views that compel me to advocate this type of information. And where as in the USA women are finally given the liberty that they fought for, women of other countries are still very unfortunate, thus emphasis falls on how much we still have to work on and how many more issues are to be faced, before women all over the world can gain liberty and independence.

#10 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (ArmenSarg @ Dec 14 2003, 12:10 AM)
Hi Anilive,

Great thoughts. Yes, men's real fear is the mental control but not because of some earthly reasons. Women are the representatives of Earth, men are the representatives of Sky (Yin/Yang). Men are the carriers of the Spirit, which becomes alive here on earth through women. Women do not carry this spirit. So the fear of men is that if women gain the power the opportunity for this process will be lost forever.
Women get exposed to this spirit when they give birth. That's why the idea of Mother is so important.

This was the beginning of the fall of the Roman Empire smile.gif

By the way I think the greatest woman of all times was Joan of Arc.

Wow thanks ArmenSarq, I must admit I never thought of it that way. Very lucid of you, I am impressed! laugh.gif

Joan of Arc was a great woman that is why she was burned at stake. biggrin.gif mad.gif

#11 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:23 PM

Anileve - I agree (I am something aint' I? LOL j/k) ...I don't think that these isues are just important to women. Awareness of such - and true equality/gender nuetral attitudes - are to me - a sing of maturity and enlightenemnt in society. And after all - if one part of the population can keep the other down for whatever contrived reason - then what is to keep that group or some subset etc of putting down others and so on...so to me elimintaing gennder biases and dsicrimination is all part of the picture of ensuring maximum rights and respect for all people...all races...all types etc etc...and this rteally does mean quite a bit to me...

Oh and as for lobbying etc...well it never hurts..and I count those votes just as much or more due to my relentless campaigning then to any real following/fan club per se (even if I merit one! LOL) ...and no vote is irrelevent. I always have disliked this perspective (sory to disagree here)...in fact I have never voted fora major party candidate for President 9and have been voting since the early 80s)...and i have no feeling at all that my vote has ever been wasted or irrelevant (well perhaps I do...fight the power!) LOL

#12 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:30 PM

Vay vay vay! THOTH you are a hoot as well as a clever politician, using sensitive issues as a means of gaining a vote. Your campaigning skills are undoubtedly superb, but please don’t forget that you are dealing with a very skeptical jury, for I must see some more ass kissing in order to believe your genuine intent.

And if you were to run for office, I might even vote for you, since your outlook on the female agenda is in agreement with mine. You are really something, would you mind employing a feminist elf as your campaign manager and your senior advisor? laugh.gif

#13 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 10:45 PM

Anileve - I will employ you in any capacity that you like... yes.gif wink_kiss.gif whistling.gif

And as skillful as I am (we can leave it at that) ...I do have one fatal flaw when it comes to politics - I tell the truth/give my honest opinions & what not...so I'm basically sunk there...and yeah - I can ass kiss with the best of them (for the right anticipated reward!) ...though in fact in my professional life I abore such and have never practiced it (always the opposite in fact)..

But seriously - I do believe in my heart all I have written here concerning equality for women. It has always been a very important issue for me. I have always pursued relationships and my expectations and outlook in such have always been from this perspective...etc etc (so micro as well as macro perspective on this...global and personal)...and for this reason I have always called myself a feminist. And thats not to say that I don't appreciate those little super short elf one piece throws that is your preference...and that you wear nothing underneath...etc...wouldn't have it any other way (not saying I am demanding or expecting such...but that I fully appreciate the [obvious] differences between males & females...and really don't think that being open (as a society) in this regard means that we will ultimatley end up as an androgenous one..(certainly hope not...)

#14 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 14 December 2003 - 01:35 AM

Winston, your SUCH a slut! laugh.gif wink.gif

1904 Margaret Knight invented the rotary engine

I believe Wankel was credited with this invention

Edited by Accelerated, 14 December 2003 - 01:37 AM.

#15 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 05:03 AM

Anne Bradstreet, c. 1612-1672: first published American poet.

#16 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 06:35 AM

Check out Phyllis Wheatley.

#17 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Accelerated @ Dec 14 2003, 03:35 AM)
Winston, your SUCH a slut! laugh.gif wink.gif

I believe Wankel was credited with this invention

Accelerated, I must say that is confusing indeed, since Wankel is credited for the invention of the rotary engine (19o2). However, so is Margaret (between 1902 and 1904) Apparently there is no information that clarifies this confusion. The only reasonable explanation I can offer is that perhaps his invention was based on predecessors, which so commonly happens in history. This is the website.

http://www.tecsoc.or.../2002/feb14.htm

By the way Winston is a slut indeed if it means:

Sexy

Liberal

Understanding

Terribly intelligent biggrin.gif

Winston you can thank me with chocolates later tongue.gif laugh.gif

#18 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (anileve @ Dec 14 2003, 06:17 PM)
Winston you can thank me with chocolates later tongue.gif laugh.gif

Light or dark? Solid or creme filled? Swiss or Belgian? newyear.gif wine.gif cheers.gif

You just have to name it babes - and its yours! yes.gif

(slutty enough for ya Accel? ...stick around and you might learn something eh? yes.gif punk.gif pimp.gif whistling.gif

#19 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 14 December 2003 - 07:18 PM

slutty enough for ya Accel? ...stick around and you might learn something eh?

ohmy.gif wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users