12 replies to this topic

#1 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

There is a small private school for languages, they needed an Instructor for Eastern Armenian, Nane forwarded the posting, had a short interview, got hired…and absolutely loving it, working with children especially…

But the school offers 8 week long “crash” courses for adults, without providing any curriculum to me; I am basically free to design the course. Currently, I have 2 students who wish to learn conversational Armenian only…They don’t want to “waste” time learning letters. Both are engaged with Armenian young people, so that’s the motivation behind. I wasn’t able to find a textbook that I may use, so I’m creating weekly lessons- greetings, family members, numbers/colors, important phrases/commands, common verbs/conjugations, pronouns, etc. Although, we record success and they’re already able to converse on a very basic level, I feel like I’m cheating on the language by using Latin letters to teach the sounds. It feels so unnatural. I’ll be having a new student next week and the current ones will go to the “second level”. The school doesn’t care as long as the students are happy…but, can you teach a language like that? I feel guilty for teaching -khaghogh, khndzor- so ugly…

So, dear people, what do I do…

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Congratulations Ani Jan, it's hard work to say the least but must be very rewarding at the end. From what you're saying it's either -khaghogh, khndzor or nothing then the choice is obvious, don't forget the class is conversational. Good Luck! :)

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,276 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

ehhh lav eli :( hima el otarneri mot gaxtni baner Hayeren chenq karrogh xosel :(

Bravo NAnejan :ap: shnorhavor Anijan

tsavoq srty yes chunem kartsiq te inchn e jisht kam sxal.. iys paragayum inchpes tesnum es yes el latinatar Hayeren em grum ..

#4 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Not a problem. Yervant is right, it's conversational Armenian. It's great that you are teaching Armenian and loving it Ani jan! :)

#5 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

Thank you, Mos and Yervant, It's rather a hobby than a job, but I enjoy it very much...
Yervant jan, yes, it's either 'oughegh' or nothing...:( My Persian student is working 7 days a week, drives 20+ miles after work to be in class (yes, that's love!)...He, unfortunately, can't handle the beautiful Armenian alphabet at this time...But it's so cool when they come back to class and proudly announce that they taught their significant others what 'yelak' or 'herrustacuyc' is...
Anushik jan, I DO love it...it's draining, takes ton of energy but very rewarding, as you know for years...:) Btw, my younger daughter is taking piano classes, loving it so far, will see how it'll progress, she's a little on a lazy side...:)Any suggestions for beginners?

P.S. Thank you all for the feedback, I feel firmer taking this to the "2nd level"...:)

P.S. 2 I'm surprised I'm not attacked by Arpa yet...

Edited by Ani, 06 June 2012 - 12:06 AM.

#6 Vanetsi

Vanetsi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:37 AM

Great job, Ani. What you're doing is great. Very admirable!
How many times a week are you meeting with students, and for how long?

About your daughter: get her to learn a song she'd want to learn, maybe a pop song. Kids find the songs from those lesson books dry. After she starts getting into it, you can start to explain the theory behind the song. The key, the time signature, etc...I don't know what level your daughter's at so I don't know if any of that applies.

And yeah, where is Arpa? His presence is needed.

#7 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Ani jan, it's great that your daughter is learning to play the piano. My suggestion is just patience, patience, and more patience! Patience from the parents, that is :P For example, beginning students are often asked to repeat a certain passage (or the entire piece, if it's too short) three times every day. Some days if she's not in the mood it's ok to let her play only once. And make sure you praise her EVERY time she plays. Little by little the weird tones that she is creating will become the beautiful melody that her teacher played for her the first time in class. So, patience and praise does the trick. After students realize that they are in fact actually playing melodies they start playing more often. It's always the beginning of learning the new piece that is very challenging! :)

#8 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

Great job, Ani. What you're doing is great. Very admirable!
How many times a week are you meeting with students, and for how long?

About your daughter: get her to learn a song she'd want to learn, maybe a pop song. Kids find the songs from those lesson books dry. After she starts getting into it, you can start to explain the theory behind the song. The key, the time signature, etc...I don't know what level your daughter's at so I don't know if any of that applies.

And yeah, where is Arpa? His presence is needed.

Thank you...! We meet once a week for an hour, but I added 30 minutes on my time after each class, this gives us time to address any questions they have and talk about the culture a little...
She's a beginner, the book they're using is pretty kid friendly, she is practicing on familiar tunes...

#9 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Ani jan, it's great that your daughter is learning to play the piano. My suggestion is just patience, patience, and more patience! Patience from the parents, that is :P For example, beginning students are often asked to repeat a certain passage (or the entire piece, if it's too short) three times every day. Some days if she's not in the mood it's ok to let her play only once. And make sure you praise her EVERY time she plays. Little by little the weird tones that she is creating will become the beautiful melody that her teacher played for her the first time in class. So, patience and praise does the trick. After students realize that they are in fact actually playing melodies they start playing more often. It's always the beginning of learning the new piece that is very challenging! :)

I think I got the patience part down...:) They're using John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course...it seems like a nice book to start with. But we struggle with practicing, she doesn't want to do it everyday, so I'll work on that, thank you Anushik jan!
We have been playing "Mary Has a Little Lamb" for two weeks, but she still wants to be praised for it every time she does...:)

Edited by Ani, 06 June 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#10 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

I think I got the patience part down...:) They're using John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course...it seems like a nice book to start with. But we struggle with practicing, she doesn't want to do it everyday, so I'll work on that, thank you Anushik jan!
We have been playing "Mary Has a Little Lamb" for two weeks, but she still wants to be praised for it every time she does...:)

Yes, keep praising her! But make sure you don't overdo it (which I'm sure you won't). It's important to praise the effort, rather than the talent. Some parents will say "yes, you play like a star!". Or "you're so talented!". The children are no fools. Even the youngest ones will know that it's not true. (In some cases some actual gifted and talented children who know that they are talented will lose motivation to practice if they are praised for their talents. This happened to an acquaintance of ours.) So just praise her for her effort. And let's face it, learning to play the piano is not an actual walk in the park. Some of my students' parents actually tell me "I want her to have fun!". Well, it's not exactly like playing house :P

By the way, I had an eye-opening experience as a teacher this year. For the past 9 years I have been teaching primarily Asian-American students and have had a great experience with them. The parents' dedication to their children's education is truly remarkable. I have students who have been playing for 6 years with me and I see that finally now they truly love and appreciate the fact that they play the piano. Now they are older and play late intermediate/early advanced repertoire. But this year for the first time I also started teaching white Americans in a different location. The cultural difference between my Asian-American students and white Americans was so interesting to observe. My beginner white American students actually seem to have an easier time liking the piano and practicing, and I believe because their parents don't have too much expectations from their playing. The parents don't constantly ask me in front of their children how they are doing and complain that they don't practice every day. I think it's definitely something to think about. Of course, whether they continue to play for the next 6 years is still a question :)

#11 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

Yes, keep praising her! But make sure you don't overdo it (which I'm sure you won't). It's important to praise the effort, rather than the talent. Some parents will say "yes, you play like a star!". Or "you're so talented!". The children are no fools. Even the youngest ones will know that it's not true. (In some cases some actual gifted and talented children who know that they are talented will lose motivation to practice if they are praised for their talents. This happened to an acquaintance of ours.) So just praise her for her effort. And let's face it, learning to play the piano is not an actual walk in the park. Some of my students' parents actually tell me "I want her to have fun!". Well, it's not exactly like playing house :P

By the way, I had an eye-opening experience as a teacher this year. For the past 9 years I have been teaching primarily Asian-American students and have had a great experience with them. The parents' dedication to their children's education is truly remarkable. I have students who have been playing for 6 years with me and I see that finally now they truly love and appreciate the fact that they play the piano. Now they are older and play late intermediate/early advanced repertoire. But this year for the first time I also started teaching white Americans in a different location. The cultural difference between my Asian-American students and white Americans was so interesting to observe. My beginner white American students actually seem to have an easier time liking the piano and practicing, and I believe because their parents don't have too much expectations from their playing. The parents don't constantly ask me in front of their children how they are doing and complain that they don't practice every day. I think it's definitely something to think about. Of course, whether they continue to play for the next 6 years is still a question :)

I AM trying to balance that, Anushik jan...And I learn, as a parent, that one of the most difficult tasks in parenting is finding that balance. I do not pressure her and try to explain that we have to go through the beginning with patience.

I agree with your observation in regards to the Asian culture.In my daughters' ballet class there are two Chinese sisters, a few days ago I found out that in addition to ballet they do violin, figure skating and art! And I thought I'm bad...:)

P.S. Today, i found out that my Filipino students knows about Hyeforum and reads occasionally...:)

#12 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

I AM trying to balance that, Anushik jan...And I learn, as a parent, that one of the most difficult tasks in parenting is finding that balance. I do not pressure her and try to explain that we have to go through the beginning with patience.

I agree with your observation in regards to the Asian culture.In my daughters' ballet class there are two Chinese sisters, a few days ago I found out that in addition to ballet they do violin, figure skating and art! And I thought I'm bad...:)

Yep, that's how they start off. But of all my students who have been with me only a set of siblings do gymnastics and karate in addition to piano for the past 6 years. Most everyone else studies the piano and some kind of sport. I think that's a good balance. Those who do too many additional activities/studies cannot focus on anything and play only at mediocre level at best.

And of course, having met you I know that you are an excellent mom and your daughters are lucky to have you as their mom!

P.S. Today, i found out that my Filipino students knows about Hyeforum and reads occasionally...:)

Wow, isn't that truly remarkable?! :)

#13 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

Yep, that's how they start off. But of all my students who have been with me only a set of siblings do gymnastics and karate in addition to piano for the past 6 years. Most everyone else studies the piano and some kind of sport. I think that's a good balance. Those who do too many additional activities/studies cannot focus on anything and play only at mediocre level at best.

And of course, having met you I know that you are an excellent mom and your daughters are lucky to have you as their mom!

Wow, isn't that truly remarkable?! :)

Thank you so much for such kind words Anushik jan, I am trying, motherhood is not an easy journey...:)

It IS remarkable!I mentioned that that I'm part of this forum and was pleasantly surprised by her reply...:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users