#41 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE(Sassun @ May 25 2007, 12:02 PM) View Post
I guess I should draw from the above posts the conclusion that you do not consider a Muslim Armenian to be Armenian.
Fine.

I don't know to whom you are directing this post but I think I have answerd it in the opposite. I consider Muslim Armenians just as Armenian as Christian Armenians or Jewish Armenians (with the additional pun about the women being 1/2 human/Armenian after converting). However, I redicule the fact that anyone would "switch" faiths in this case. I also consider Islamic principles of degrading women and the barbaric acts used in defending it to be faaaaaaaar inferior to true Christian beliefs. That is why I will redicule it though I also redicule the rediculous aspects of Christianity (aka "believing" in the fairy tales of the Bible rather than the good morals thaught through them).

Now it is obvious you expected to get some sort of angry response and want to desparately defend an Armenian's right to choose Islam. But I guess you didn't expect you would have to defend "Islam" first. biggrin.gif Welcome back to Hyefoum indeed.

Edited by Sip, 25 May 2007 - 11:17 AM.

#42 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:16 AM

Do you know what Wudu' is???

It has nothing to do with washing your private parts.

It's the washing of the face and arms (below the elbow) and feet.

Also, bring me a source from ulama and not anyone who has posted something on his website.

Anyway what does this have to do with whether or not one is considered an Armenian by fellow Armenians?

Or are you evading my question?

#43 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:18 AM

Read previous posts wink.gif Didn't say anything about washing private parts ... just washing hands. Calm down smile.gif

Your question has not been evaded.

Edited by Sip, 25 May 2007 - 11:19 AM.

#44 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:19 AM

I guess you didn't expect you would have to defend "Islam" first.

I do not need to defend Islam, as Islam was not the focus of the topic. My question had to do with being Armenian AND Muslim (with focus on the AND) and not with Islam as religion. Feel free to start a topic on Islam and I will discuss that with you.

#45 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(Sip @ May 25 2007, 08:18 PM) View Post
Read previous posts wink.gif Didn't say anything about washing private parts ... just washing hands. Calm down smile.gif

Your question has not been evaded.

how is washing of hands related to what you said earlier on about private parts??

#46 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE(Sassun @ May 25 2007, 12:19 PM) View Post
I do not need to defend Islam ...

Yes, how could you? biggrin.gif

#47 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Sassun @ May 25 2007, 12:21 PM) View Post
how is washing of hands related to what you said earlier on about private parts??

Stop asking stupid questions. You know full well what it all has meant as you are avoiding the essense here and are trying to twists my words around. Again, WHY would Allah care how you wash your HANDS after having wiped your ass or passing gas or whatever else you might have done to have invalidated the hand washing.

I think these are important questions to ask an Armenian don't you think? After all, we use toilet paper. smile.gif How do the Vudu rules apply to us?

#48 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

Now it is obvious you expected to get some sort of angry response and want to desparately defend an Armenian's right to choose Islam.

did you not read people's replies? They are mostly offensive with a few exceptions....
i was expecting such replies, of course. i know from my dealings with other Armenians, they hate Muslims and consider Muslims inferior , etc.. In fact, I am happy to see that there are some who have responded rather positively. that is what i was not expecting, and it is not something that angers me, but the opposite.

#49 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(Sip @ May 25 2007, 05:12 PM) View Post
1. Are you serious?
2. Are you saying the wudu rules in Wikipedia are incorrect? Please explain why you are putting down the link to wiki in this case? Why would you feel sorry for someone who is bringing you a FACT (unless you dispute the wudu rules as being fact).
3. "Muslims are required to perform wudu in preparation for ritual prayers and for handling and reading the Qur'an" ... I think this is more than enough of a justficiation for my statement above.

Do I have to explain more?

Why are we talking about religion/qaqujin.?
How much more religion does an Armenian need. Like another million holes in the head?
Like pitting Ejmiatsin V Antrlias, Apostolic V Cathlic, and Cathilic V Evangelical? Let's think of more "religious" divisions Mybe, in doing so we may reduce the nation to one person, the Catholicos. WHICH ONE? The one that hides in the mountains of Lebanon or the one that hides behind Ararat?
What does Armenianism have to do with religion? What does Armenian have to do with Jesus, Mohammed or Budha?
How is that a matter of religion?
Is it a matter of religion when some of us would say “կերթամ կոր” and others say “գնում եմ”?
Can we get out of this religio/schmirigio/ kronq/mronq business and get to the real issues of Hayapahpanoum/Armenianism?
Let the Muslims venerate the phallus of Mohhammed, let the Jews venerate the circumcised phallus of Moses, let the Budhists venerate those fat breasts of their god.
Why would we care?
Who the hell cares if we call our "god" Astuac, when others may call Him Allah, Jehovah or Budha, or "got/god" . It is all the same human created "shit", no matter how you look at iit/HIM.
Why is the world divided based on what we call that IDIOT, be Astuac, God or Allah
Do I ineed the laws of Moses to not commit murder, theivery, perjury or adultery.? Is that not the law of any civilizsd society ?
You remind me of that homosexual Jew, who when learned that he was HIV postive went up an down the street spitting up, spitting below, spitting to right and spitting to the left, hoping to dispell the curse. Remember how those damn jews, the those son on of a moshe bithces heirs of Moshe spat at the cross of St. James in Jerusalem, hoping and wishing that they could drown it in sputum/թրքրուք?
Yeah, Yeah. Spit on us more. Let us see who is more mighty. Aramazt or Jehovah, whoever vthe F-marqunats He may bne.
And, if there stilll arl those who think Jehovah/Allah/ whatever the QAQ ,is the same as our Astuac and Aramazt
GET A LIFE!

Edited by Arpa, 25 May 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#50 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(Sassun @ May 25 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post
did you not read people's replies? They are mostly offensive with a few exceptions....
i was expecting such replies, of course. i know from my dealings with other Armenians, they hate Muslims and consider Muslims inferior , etc.. In fact, I am happy to see that there are some who have responded rather positively. that is what i was not expecting, and it is not something that angers me, but the opposite.

I for one don't hate Muslims, but I dislike Islam. So don't worry about me...

#51 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

I am converting to Arpaism clap.gif Am I still Armenian?

#52 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:12 PM

By the way, having thought about this a bit more, I have come to the conclusion that forbidding one "Xhozi xorovats" and "oghi" really goes against everything that means to be "Armenian". sad.gif

#53 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ May 25 2007, 11:07 AM) View Post
I am converting to Arpaism clap.gif Am I still Armenian?

I'm converting to shabanism and I consider me as Armenian, who dosent aprove can go to hell biggrin.gif

#54 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:22 PM

Come on guys, Sassun just wants to know if it΄s OK for him to be Armenian and Muslim.Yes, it is OK. Now you may go and build mosques in Armenia.But finish your lollypop first.

#55 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

Boghos and others,
I want to know why you guys are not taking my question seriously and are making fun of it.

It really is an honest question, but I am saddened that you do not take it seriously and are saying offensive things.

Did I disrespect anyone?

I apologize if I did.

It was not my intention to be provocative or offend anyone.

I wish you would not make fun of me the way you are doing now.

I know this is or might be a sensitive topic for many, but I thought we could discuss. I have suggested some issues that we can talk about , but I guess you are not interested in such a discussion.

Anyway, I still welcome any constructive responses and criticisms even. I wish you would see that you are alienating people and not contributing to understanding each other.

#56 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Armenian history, music, sports, politics...the usual stuff.

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(Sassun @ May 25 2007, 08:22 AM) View Post
AK-47
You raise an interesting point re: seeing Hijab-wearing women in the first state to accept Christianity.
Are you saying that Christian identity is inseparable from Armenian identity?
I know that historically Christianity has always been a strong (if not the strongest) element in holding the nation together, but do you think it is still as valid today, after we have a very solid national identity that is not related to practicing Christianity on a daily (or even monthly) basis anymore (mostly Christian in name)? I think here the issue of lifestyle is also important, and one of the main reasons why Armenians would not accept a "Muslim Armenian". But think about it. If a Muslim Armenian (someone who has converted to Islam willingly) identifies strongly as Armenian, speaks Armenian, thinks in Armenian, and eats the best food ever-- Armenian food of course, dolma sarma manti yevaylen tongue.gif , do you think that this person would really not be Armenian just because he is Muslim and prays 5 times a day, observes Muslim holidays, and so on? Regardless of whether or not you might think it's stupid for someone to go after organized religion or to convert to Islam.
A devout Christian Armenian would still be considered Armenian.
Thus, religiosity is not the issue here.
The issue is about different religion and also about lifestyle.
And then again, converting to Islam does not mean one abandons one's lifestyle or culture completely. Only some aspects that might be contradictory.

I find that for alot of Armenians (especially the old seroont), Christianity is inseparable from the Armenian identity. Alot of people, (including me sometimes, I must admit biggrin.gif ) go around boasting to everyone about how we were the first nation to adopt Christianity. And most Armenians I know would go ballistic to find out an Armenian is marrying a Muslim (speaking with a recent experience). In Armenia, i've heard it is like this as well. My friend who visited Armenia was at a bar and was heard using the word "yalla" to which a native Armenian approached him and cursed him for using the "dadjik" word in Armenia, even though it was not Turkic but Arabic.

Anyway imo, a Muslim Armenian would be too much of a cultural shock to Armenians and would take time to "adapt" to. I guess it all depends on the person who meets the Muslim Armenian. Personally, being Armenian comes before anything else but I must admit that I would be "more comfortable" at first w/ Christian Armenians (as historical tradition) than a Muslim (the religion under which we have suffered the most) Armenian. Then, the entire concept of "Jihad" comes to my mind. Who will these Muslim Armenians be loyal to when the Azeri *Muslim* clerics call for a Jihad against the "infidel Christians". Will they be loyal to Allah or the state of Armenia?

And I kind of agree about the affect of the church these days on Armenians. In today's diaspora, I find that the church is losing much of its "glue" power and we need to turn to nationalism to unify people. I can't comment about Armenia as I do not have experience.

#57 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Հայ Լեզուն:

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Sassun @ May 25 2007, 01:58 PM) View Post
Boghos and others,
I want to know why you guys are not taking my question seriously and are making fun of it.

It really is an honest question, but I am saddened that you do not take it seriously and are saying offensive things.

Did I disrespect anyone?

I apologize if I did.

It was not my intention to be provocative or offend anyone.

I wish you would not make fun of me the way you are doing now.

I know this is or might be a sensitive topic for many, but I thought we could discuss. I have suggested some issues that we can talk about , but I guess you are not interested in such a discussion.

Anyway, I still welcome any constructive responses and criticisms even. I wish you would see that you are alienating people and not contributing to understanding each other.

Why do you want to conver to Islam anyway? Do you really think that you can have Armenian culture without having Armenian religion? You can't have one or the other; you must have both! So, if you get rid of you Armenian religion, I'm sorry, but you simultaneously destroy your Armenian culture.

#58 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:29 AM

I find that for alot of Armenians (especially the old seroont), Christianity is inseparable from the Armenian identity.

I know. smile.gif This is why I wanted to know what the younger seroont especially living in the west (which usually is understood to be more 'open-minded' to such things as mixed marriage, etc.) thinks of this.

I think that the problem is that the traumatic experiences of Armenians have been under "Muslim" rule, although I maintain that it is not much, if at all, is about Islam, but more about pan-Turkism and Turkish nationalism/chauvinism. Islam might have been a rallying call, but that is nothing other than identity politics, and has nothing to do with the nature of true Islam. You will find that rulers have often manipulated Islam to maintain their position and strengthen it. It is the case today in much of the Muslim world where dictatorial regimes continue to use Islam to legitimize their rule. So for example, rebels against the regime want to sow "fitna" (this is not easy to translate to English, so let us say it means "schism"). In fact, much of this manipulation goes not so much through clerics but through education in schools.

And as for clerics, in Shi'i Islam, there is something called "marja'a taqlid" (source of emulation), and each person has to choose a marja'a taqlid, who would be a high cleric, known as Ayatollah. People are free to choose whichever cleric's rulings they want to follow, even across borders. But rarely does the issue of loyalty pose a problem. Why? Because, for example, in the case of Iran's Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei, his fatawa (fatwa = edict) are 99.99% related to religion and not politics at all. So his emulators in Lebanon would not have to follow their political line. In fact, this is exactly what people are not aware of, or want to use to badmouth for example Hezb Allah, by saying that Hezb Allah takes orders from the "wali al faqih" of Iran... which is not true.

Also the idea of Jihad is way too overrated and overused in Western lexicon.
First, not everyone can issue fatawa. Especially not so in Shi'i Islam. In Sunni Islam there are some offshoots like the Salafis who believe in direct interpretation and believe that the door to "Ijtihad" is closed, so basically anyone (someone with no religious credentials as Ossama Bin Laden) can issue fatawa. Now of course, Bin Laden is NOT, I repeat, NOT a cleric. He just issues fatawa because he believes issuing a fatwa is not the monopoly of the Ayatollah...

Anyway , I have not seen a Muslim in Lebanon or Iran for that matter, emulating an Azeri cleric. Nor have I seen any cleric in Iran or Iraq issue a fatwa on Azerbaijan or any other related issue. In that respect , it's a safe bet. Plus, Jihad merely means "struggle", and it is used in many contexts (just saying this so people will shake off their fears of this word based on the actions of some nutcases like Bin Laden). Like, internal Jihad means struggling internally, as an individual, to do good and avoid evil, etc. Not only that, but the struggle between Armenia and the Turks and Azeris is not religious in nature... although Armenians want to portray it as (and also many Turks and Azeris want to portray it as that, too). It is between Armenian nationalism (which has become associated with Christianity) and Turkic nationalism (which has become associated with Islam). I think that by accepting a Muslim Armenian (who is already a Muslim de facto and you cannot change that), you would be strengthening the Armenian cause and not the opposite. I have heard many Turks who use the anti-Muslim card to "show" that Armenians are the ones who are intolerant, etc., and I think this is something that must be truly paid attention to. Although , as my mother says, «թուրքերը աւելի լաւ պտուղ մը չեն: Անանկ մը կը խօսին որ կը կարծես թէ սուրբ են»: tongue.gif

I have grown up in a secular family, though I have attended an Evangelical Armenian school and had to go to church, etc. My knowledge of the Armenian Orthodox church is rather limited (though I was Orthodox on paper). In Lebanon there are very few Armenian converts to Islam and they have been virtually completely excommunicated.

I think that when people talk about Islam in the context of Christian-Muslim relations, they heap classical sentence upon sentence about "clash of civilizations". But they ignore that Muslims and Christians have lived side by side for centuries, and also, in today's age and time, nationalism is still (despite some transnational Salafi movements which I do not want to have anything to do with and in fact call them IDIOTS and CRIMINALS) defined in terms of the nation-state and loyalty to one's people. A Muslim Lebanese is no less loyal to Lebanon than a Christian Lebanese (though in Lebanon there used to be a similar debate, and to this day many extremist Christian elements, though marginalized, continue to argue this point).

I think that some might also be afraid of the danger of opening the way to Turkification of Armenian. In other words, Muslim Turks claiming to be Armenians would somehow make their way and settle in Armenia and "take over the country from within". It's quite an imaginative and paranoid argument, and I am not sure how Armenia determines Armenianness. Is it done based on religion? I mean, at the end of the day a non-Armenian American is also Christian so what is the "right of return" based on? I mean, how does one determine Armenianness, especially when over generations there are mixed marriages, and the new generation (for example in USA) might not even know how to speak Armenian? If it is based on having Armenian ancestors, then I have Armenian ancestors too (from the birthplace of Armenian heroes -- you can guess from my username where that is tongue.gif ), would that make me eligible to go and live there as an equal, and not be considered an enemy within?

#59 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE(Էլիա @ May 26 2007, 07:04 AM) View Post
Why do you want to conver to Islam anyway? Do you really think that you can have Armenian culture without having Armenian religion? You can't have one or the other; you must have both! So, if you get rid of you Armenian religion, I'm sorry, but you simultaneously destroy your Armenian culture.

What is "Armenian religion"???
I did not know there was an Armenian religion.
Isn't Christianity supposed to be universal?
You are talking about the church. That's different from Christianity.
The Church organizes Christian life, but it is not "religion" per se.
Plus, is an evangelical or Catholic Armenian not an Armenian, because "Armenian religion" for you seems to be associated with the Armenian Orthodox Church?
If so, then congrats, you just eliminated quite big portions of Armenians, and at the end of the day while they do identify as Armenians, you are the one who is doing harm to Armenia and Armenianness by pushing Armenians away from identifying with it.

The same with Muslims. What is the difference?
Do I all of a sudden become a different person when I become a Muslim?
Do I cease to have any ties to my great-grandparents?
Do I cease to feel a connection to my homeland?
Do I destroy the ancient Armenian manuscripts that my family managed to smuggle out during the genocide????
They are , by the way, Christian manuscripts.
And sure, Christianity is part of my national heritage, but what if I am a Muslim, does that mean I have to denounce all that?
Aren't you saying that I should ???

In the end it seems that you want a Muslim Armenian to distance himself from his people, because it seems you cannot break free from your preconceived notions of what an Armenian must be. So instead of accepting to embrace someone who is Armenian and who is proud of it, despite being Muslim, you want to feel like you belong to an elite club where admission is restricted to those who belong to "Armenian religion".
It's a pity that you cannot wrap your head around the idea of a Muslim Armenian being attached to his homeland and willing to fight for it even.

#60 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:02 AM

Attached File  manu.jpg   77.72KB   16 downloads

This is one of the ancient manuscripts / books that my family has. The reason the text has faded is because it was smuggled out during the genocide by my great-grandfather in very dire circumstances, it was at first put in a honey jar because the Turks were burning and tearing away anything in their sight. The other one I have, is less ancient (it's not handwritten, it's printed probably dating to the 17th century or so), it's a book by Krikor Naregatsi, and used to have gold on the cover, but the Turks removed the gold and threw the book away.

So tell me Էլիա
Since I am not an Armenian, should I be destroying this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users