• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Dec 11 2004, 09:58 PM)
Edit: Unless you're dealing with someone who's going to kill you anyway after raping you ... or kill you then rape you. Well in either of those cases, I think putting up a fight is better than not taking any chances and just giving in.

You don't believe in fighting, you believe in walking away.

#22 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Anileve @ Dec 11 2004, 08:50 PM)
You don't believe in fighting, you believe in walking away.

Definitely ... if the choice was there. But sometimes we don't have that choice. sad.gif

#23 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:06 PM

I'm generally all for criminals right, and against physical "mistreatment," but I think with those bastards, castration is the long term most safer way. Their action is what I call a psychological murder.

#24 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Domino @ Dec 11 2004, 11:06 PM)
I'm generally all for criminals right, and against physical "mistreatment," but I think with those bastards, castration is the long term most safer way. Their action is what I call a psychological murder.

Precisely! But if that method would be applied I am afraid that in vengefulness they may start targeting other men.

However, castration does sound tempting in that case.

Edited by Anileve, 11 December 2004 - 09:16 PM.

#25 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Anileve @ Dec 11 2004, 10:15 PM)
Precisely! But if that method would be applied I am afraid that in vengefulness they may start targeting other men.

However, castration does sound tempting in that case.

I don't see it like this... I see castration as a treatment... for me, the raper is sick, and when he can not be treated with medications, castration is the only treatment left. It may be a radical treatment, but in some cases, it's the only treatment left.

#26 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (Domino @ Dec 11 2004, 11:24 PM)
I don't see it like this... I see castration as a treatment... for me, the raper is sick, and when he can not be treated with medications, castration is the only treatment left. It may be a radical treatment, but in some cases, it's the only treatment left.

The only only problem arises when someone is erroneously found guilty. Otherwise I would agree....

#27 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Anileve @ Dec 12 2004, 12:40 AM)
I know it's insane but I've thought about what I would do in a situation like that. I know you are so scared that you can't rationally think.  I also feel that they are psychologically ill. I often thought what if you were to react calm and inviting, these predators feed on pain, intimidation and power trips, what if you were to show them that you don't mind and you would remain very calm. Would they become disinterested? After all it's no longer a power trip if your victim seems to be not scared of you.

A friend of mine was once cornered by a thug who pulled out a knife and demanded money and her jewelry. She was very calm and went straight for her wallet to hand it to him, but meanwhile she was talking to him and asking him if he is in a financial difficulty and needs money to help him out and she would be glad to find him a job if he needs money. She didn't hesitate to give him her money. The guy was so overwhelmed that he put his knife away, gave her all of the stuff back and walked her home, and poured his soul out. We were all so shocked to hear the story. My friend is an amazingly social person, she has this incredible charm that makes people so comfortable around her. What if people are seeking human interest? What if they just need someone not to scold them and hurt them but to express care?

That reminds me of an act or two from a play by a certain Monsieur Espalieu that I had watched once. I'll try to remember more.

#28 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:24 AM

That is sickening, and so sadly mcuh to common Anileve. I can not imagine how i would control myself if my daughter was abused that way. I would probably react much like the story of "A Time to Kill"

If you havent read it, you should, it might even help you calm down. A time to Kill

But at this point, im sure you understand ofcourse, but try to be more cautious of attacking "men" because of that one incident. As Sip said, it is a very small percentage of "men" who are infact not man at all.

Edited by gevo27, 12 December 2004 - 10:24 AM.

#29 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (vava @ Dec 12 2004, 02:10 AM)
The only only problem arises when someone is erroneously found guilty. Otherwise I would agree....

As I said, it should be implamented as a last option, which mean the person has been catched more than once. What are the statistical probability that the same person is catched two time for rape, when he's innocent? Probably lower than 1/(the entire population of the city he lives in).

#30 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:45 AM

Come on, people, relax. Castrating someone is like cutting off the hand of someone for holding a gun and killing people with it.
A man rapes somebody, lock him up for life.

#31 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Stormig @ Dec 12 2004, 12:45 PM)
Come on, people, relax. Castrating someone is like cutting off the hand of someone for holding a gun and killing people with it.
A man rapes somebody, lock him up for life.

Different... one of the major causes is hormonal, castrating reduces considerably one of the major hormons responsable... the raper is unbalanced hormonaly.

Its like an overproductive Thyroid Gland that is killed by nuclear radiation purposly. I see castration as a treatment.

The hand cutting is diffuerent, the origin of the problem is not hands... but the brain, hormons etc... but in the cases of rape, hormones are one of the major origins of the problem.

#32 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Domino @ Dec 12 2004, 05:56 PM)
Different... one of the major causes is hormonal, castrating reduces considerably one of the major hormons responsable... the raper is unbalanced hormonaly.

Its like an overproductive Thyroid Gland that is killed by nuclear radiation purposly. I see castration as a treatment.

The hand cutting is diffuerent, the origin of the problem is not hands... but the brain, hormons etc... but in the cases of rape, hormones are one of the major origins of the problem.

I'd dispute the hormones bit in the case of rape. An oversexed man can be an insatiable lover or someone who frequents swingers' clubs... An uncharming one can always go out with his hand. No need to be a low-life. Or am I mistaken in my assumptions? It's like libido doesn't necessarily mean promiscuity. I can't imagine what kind of excuse for a "libido" a man must have to rape a woman. rolleyes.gif

#33 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (Stormig @ Dec 12 2004, 01:09 PM)
I'd dispute the hormones bit in the case of rape. An oversexed man can be an insatiable lover or someone who frequents swingers' clubs... An uncharming one can always go out with his hand. No need to be a low-life. Or am I mistaken in my assumptions? It's like libido doesn't necessarily mean promiscuity. I can't imagine what kind of excuse for a "libido" a man must have to rape a woman. rolleyes.gif

True, but overactive hormons as well means you need more control... and most of those having overactive hormons do have better control as compensation.

But we are not talking about those individuals... but rather those that can't control their impulsions... many times they would want to, but they can't. I have read in various occasion, where such impulsive sexual abuser themselves have decided to be castrated, because they wanted to stop, but they were not able to do it.

Of course, there are many that don't have overreactive glands, and are abusers... but still, hormons have a major role in sexual pulsions. It take castration as a treatment, that would be used when other treatments don't work.

#34 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 12:21 PM

Locking up for life?

2-5 years max at the most.

#35 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (vava @ Dec 11 2004, 01:39 PM)
Stories like this drives me nuts!  Source: article on cbc.ca)
I think in the end, I think the father got 10 years in prison. The molester, only 3. I'll have to fact-check - I vaguely remember hearing about it in the news.

This doesn't make sense. It's telling society that molesters are sick and cannot help themselves therefore their sentence is not going to be that much, but on the other hand parents cannot take matters into their own hands to protect their kids... This will never make sense to me. How could they give the father 10 years? For what? And the molester, only 3?

Also, why isn't there a law to send every molester and rapist to prison for life, especially if they cannot help themselves? Most of these people will keep on molesting and raping whenever they see an opportunity. Just send them to prison!

#36 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:24 PM

It is not as easy as let's lock'em up for life or let's cut them up ...

The problem with making the punishment for rape too severe, is that then there wouldn't be much deterrent for the assailant to do worse things than rape ... i.e. murder.

If one puts in place the same punishment for murder and rape, then I think we'll see a lot more rapes end in murder ... why? Because 1. A dead victim is less likely to identify his or her rapist, and 2. The punishment is going to be the same if caught.

I like the castration idea ... but it must only be utilized when the evidence of rape is overwhelming ... for example, it would really suck right now if Kobe Bryant were walking around castrated. mad.gif

#37 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:31 PM

Then at least a community should be well aware that there is a rapist living among them. I think in the U.S. one can check and find out if this is the case. And no known rapist/molester should be allowed to work near children (like that bus driver in Montreal).

#38 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:52 PM

Yeah - that was a royal screw up here - it was all over the news. They didn't even run a basic background check, nor did they call his references. mad.gif I would even be inclined to punish those neglectful idiots that hired the sicko in the first place.

#39 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Dec 12 2004, 03:24 PM)
I like the castration idea ... but it must only be utilized when the evidence of rape is overwhelming ... for example, it would really suck right now if Kobe Bryant were walking around castrated.  mad.gif

Not for the first offense, but if someone is catched for the second time. In such cases, you're pretty much sure.

#40 Nakharar

Nakharar

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Dec 12 2004, 09:24 PM)
It is not as easy as let's lock'em up for life or let's cut them up ...

The problem with making the punishment for rape too severe, is that then there wouldn't be much deterrent for the assailant to do worse things than rape ... i.e. murder.

If one puts in place the same punishment for murder and rape, then I think we'll see a lot more rapes end in murder ... why? Because 1. A dead victim is less likely to identify his or her rapist, and 2. The punishment is going to be the same if caught.

I like the castration idea ... but it must only be utilized when the evidence of rape is overwhelming ... for example, it would really suck right now if Kobe Bryant were walking around castrated.  mad.gif

I have to agree with this. Giving a life sentence for rape assailants will diminish the deterrence for murder. Even though it will sound harsh it's nowhere as near in the moral category as homicide. In Britain they have archaic laws giving life sentences for rapists, whereas murderers usually get off much lighter with 20-25 year sentences. But then the British have many of their priorities in the wrong place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users