His previous book, "Black Dog of Fate," received rave reviews in scores of
major American newspapers and literary journals. The book told the story of
the Armenian Genocide from a very personal perspective to large segments of
the American public. It won the PEN/Albrand Award for Memoir and was
selected as a New York Times Notable Book as well as one of the best books
of the year by the Los Angeles Times
Balakian's new book, "The Burning Tigris," is expected to educate an even
larger number of Americans about the Armenian Genocide. It documents the
humanitarian efforts of Woodrow Wilson, Theodore Roosevelt, John D.
Rockefeller, Clara Barton, Ezra Pound, high-ranking clergymen of all
faiths, and millions of ordinary American citizens. The book includes
eyewitness accounts, survivor testimonies, and official reports from the
archives of the United States, Great Britain, Germany, Austria and Turkey.
"The Burning Tigris" has already received advanced praise from several
major writers and historians. Paul Fussell, author of "The Great War" and
"Modern Memory and Wartime: Understanding and Behavior in the Second World
War," wrote: "Peter Balakian's The Burning Tigris is a gripping treatment
of the official Turkish mass murder of a whole people.... The book, fully
documented with appalling details, is a masterpiece of moral history, and
it needs to be widely read."
Prof. Robert Jay Lifton, the author of "Nazi Doctors" and "Destroying The
World to Save It," wrote: "This is the only study of a particular genocide
that fully records the motivations of perpetrators, the suffering of
victims, and the responses of the outside world. Balakian brilliantly
integrates all of these dimensions so that they become a single, compelling
narrative. This book will be a classic...."
Prof. Deborah Lipstadt, the author "Denying the Holocaust," wrote: "The
Armenian Genocide is a double tragedy: the tragedy of the horrific event
itself and the contemporary tragedy of its denial by Turkey. Peter Balakian
tells the powerful and largely unknown story of America's response to both
these tragedies. This important and compelling book is long overdue."
Sir Martin Gilbert, author of "The Righteous: The Unsung Heroes of the
Holocaust" and "Empires In Conflict: A History of the Twentieth Century,
1900-1933," wrote: "The terrible fate of the Armenians, whose attempted
destruction provided a template for the Jewish Holocaust, is brilliantly
described, as is the remarkable response of the United States.... Peter
Balakian has done a great service to the history of the Armenians."
The Publisher's Weekly, the book industry's publication of record, wrote in
its starred review: "Balakian exposes the roots of the genocide in the
total war atmosphere of WWI, which combusted in the pan-Turkish nationalism
of the Young Turk government, inflamed Muslim rage against 'infidel'
Armenian Christians, and a long-simmering Ottoman hatred of the Armenians
dating to Sultan Abdul Hamid II and his slaughters in the 1890s.
...Readers will come away sadly convinced that Armenians' brave but doomed
stand in Van should be as celebrated as the Warsaw ghetto uprising, and the
corpse-strewn Lake Goeljuk as well known as Babi Yar."
With the aid of this valuable book, Armenians have the unique opportunity
to disseminate the facts of the Armenian Genocide to a worldwide readership
and counter the lies spread by Turkey on this subject.
Thanks to the billions of dollars of aid provided by the US government, the
Turkish government spends millions to deny and distort the facts of the
Armenian Genocide. The Turks pay large sums of money to hire Turkish and
foreign mercenary writers to pen these lies which are then translated into
dozens of languages and mailed to newspapers, libraries and politicians
worldwide.
Mr. Balakian has devoted several years to research, at his personal
expense, and write this very impressive book. The least Armenians could do
now is to buy as many copies as possible and donate them to family members,
friends and colleagues. The Armenian National Committee has already
announced that it has arranged to distribute 1,000 copies of this book to
Members of Congress and the Bush Administration. Individuals or
organizations could purchase and donate additional copies of the book to
newspapers, libraries, and local and state government officials.
If thousands of copies are pre-ordered before September 30, "The Burning
Tigris" could go on the best-seller list, substantially increasing its
exposure and readership worldwide. Those who order this book now from
Amazon.com will get a 30% pre-publication discount ($18.87 instead of
$26.95). Barnes and Noble (www.bn.com) is offering it at a 20% discount.
Since best-seller lists are based on the number of books sold per week,
pre-ordering it now on-line in large quantities could place Balakian's book
on the best-seller list when it is released on September 30!
Every Armenian could participate in this worthwhile effort and play an
important role in helping to advance the Armenian Cause!

#2 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 12:52 PM

Although some on this very forum have severe view of Balakian, I on the other hand believe we should buy and read his books with more open-minded view of his work. (Reading before criticizing helps) The fact of the matter is we have only few writers who care enough to speak for Armenian Genocide in greater American and international arena therefore Peter Balakian has all my support and I hope he tops N.Y. top forty list.All power to you Balakian. :thumbup:

#3 Haytorontonian

Haytorontonian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the information.

I just ordered mine through chapters.indigo.ca, in Canada of course and it is $41.00 CDN. I did my part.

#4 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for your iterest Haytorontonian.The release date is sept.30th. The amazon has a 30% off the list price.
http://www.amazon.co...5151810-2715852

#5 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:24 PM

Shame on NPR for insisting giving equal air time for a denialist Turkish view when inviting Peter B to speak about his book. Luckly Peter refused.
Imagine if a producer from NPR invited a scholar to speak about his new book on the Jewish Holocaust and then, to provide “balance”, including another guest known for denying that the nazis murdered six million Jews. Outrages right?That is exactly what NPR did to Balakian.

Edited by Armat, 23 December 2003 - 12:25 PM.

#6 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:33 PM

yes I heard that to, Armat its because as they claim there is still historical debate going on regarding Armenian Genocide, on those bases its only fair and balanced ( my ass ) thing to do, I heard about historical none séance even on PBS every time they have a program about genocide.

#7 Nikephoros_Phokas

Nikephoros_Phokas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 12:25 AM

You know who this 50/50 bs benefits. It is no suprise. For example Turkey raises claims on the Aegean, and what does it have to lose, nothing. What does Greece have to lose, alot. Reporters covering Turkish fighters invading the Greek FIR give the impression alot of times that the area is a disputed region, because they give a forum for Turkish fascist expansionism to propagate on a verbal level.

It is the same with the Armenian genocide, Armenians stand to be vicitimized by allowing denialists a forum and they stand to lose their place in history. The way news works, no reporter and no paper can really investigate every conflict and every issue so tend they tend to ask for both sides of a conflict to speak. The more fanatic side making the biggest claims is gonna win these 50/50 scenarios, defacto. You cannot lose something that is not yours, but if someone claims something that is yours, you could stand to lose it. For Turkey it is a defacto win even if they are pummeled in the debate, because it will a create an impression that is clear, this subject is still a matter of historic debate and not a closed case. No matter how trounced they are in such debates still the impression will be created that the Armenian genocide is controversial and in dispute. It was very smart of Balakian to refuse, because he could not win.

Has anyone read the work in question does it tell a balanced story, of American humanitarianism along with the story of vested American interests and real-politik? If it just one sided about American goodwill it is not worth reading, because it does not reflect reality properly. In the end vested interests won out and Armenians lost. Even the missionaries who helped publicize the Armenian genocide, after it is was completed they downplayed the genocide to earn the good-will of the Turkish authorities so they would get the good graces of the Turkish regime and be able to hold onto their property. But what are the use of Christian missions and missionaries, in a nation that just killed its native Christians? It defies logic.

Edited by nairi, 24 December 2003 - 05:43 AM.

#8 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 04:02 AM

Twaddle, no nation other than Greeks use this concept of "invasion of FIR"...
Don't take my word for it:

http://www.un.org/do...s/55/a55776.pdf

http://www.google.ca...le Search&meta=

http://www.google.ca...le Search&meta=

How does one invade a Flight Information Region? Trying to sound sophisticated so people can hoo-haa and forget how Greeks try to expand their territorial waters in the Aegean from 6 nautical miles to 12, and, where they feel they're going to get a good smacking if they insist, come up with such weird things as oblique fight spaces - those that are not the shape of the territorial water but extend 12 nautical miles so you have the shape of an overturned hat? Indeed the Greeks are creative!

#9 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 26 December 2003 - 02:18 AM

Mr. Balakyan charges $3,000 to speak for his fellow Armenians, students in particular and that is in addition to all of the expenses he demands to be paid for him. Nice to know that he volunteers with such selfless sense of dedication to help out Armenian Students....ahem...

#10 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 10:37 AM

If I was Balakian I would have accepted the 50/50, but I would ask something in return, I would want it to be done in a confrontational way, and not a cut 50/50 speech, where one talk, and then the other. Or if it is not this, I would accept the denialist to speak first, and I would end it by debunking all his claims.

This would show how their claims doesn't hold water, and to finish I would criticise openly the NPR and ask them if they would permit the 50/50 show if a Holocaust denialist asked to "balance" a Holocaust scholar in a similar circonstances.

Dadrian faced many denialists during his conferences in the past, he had no problem with that, he was placing them all in their place without any problem.

Edited by Fadix, 26 December 2003 - 10:39 AM.

#11 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 26 December 2003 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Domino @ Dec 26 2003, 11:37 AM)
If I was Balakian I would have accepted the 50/50, but I would ask something in return, I would want it to be done in a confrontational way, and not a cut 50/50 speech, where one talk, and then the other. Or if it is not this, I would accept the denialist to speak first, and I would end it by debunking all his claims.

This would show how their claims doesn't hold water, and to finish I would criticise openly the NPR and ask them if they would permit the 50/50 show if a Holocaust denialist asked to "balance" a Holocaust scholar in a similar circonstances.

Dadrian faced many denialists during his conferences in the past, he had no problem with that, he was placing them all in their place without any problem.

Good point Domino. But could Balakian debunk as well as Dadrian - I doubt? Maybe he made a wise step.

#12 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 26 December 2003 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (anileve @ Dec 26 2003, 12:18 AM)
Mr. Balakyan charges $3,000 to speak for his fellow Armenians, students in particular and that is in addition to all of the expenses he demands to be paid for him. Nice to know that he volunteers with such selfless sense of dedication to help out Armenian Students....ahem...

Dear anileve, are you saying that he should do it for free? How is he suppose to support his family?

#13 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 10:57 AM

Sasun, I think any genocide scholar that does not study denialism and how to debunk it, does not worth to be given time on air.

Debunking denialists would be a piece of cake if the scholar really did his homework... if you want to write a work about the event, it should be writen in a way that it reject every claims made by denialists. If that is so, then such scholars will have no problem debunking denialists.

I've read his first book, I must admit, I've hate it, I've seen his second work, turmed the pages, but still havn't read it, I just think the book is overprized for the study he did to write the book.

I would accept anyday a confrontation against a denialist, and when you write such a work, you should be prepared, and I disagree that we will always loose it this way... if you destroy ones claims one by one and shut his mouth, you then turn on the commentator of the show, and tell him that like he can realise the Armenian genocide is undeniable you can only win this way.

Edited by Fadix, 26 December 2003 - 11:02 AM.

#14 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Dec 26 2003, 10:53 AM)
Dear anileve, are you saying that he should do it for free? How is he suppose to support his family?

Azat, there is supporting his familly and there is nearly stealing students money. This remind me the about 2000$ of genocide courses by Zoryan Institute.

#15 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 26 December 2003 - 11:05 AM

I understand Domino, but my point is Balakian is not really a genocide scholar, he is a writer. I don't think his book needs as much scholarly research as Dadrian's works (of course it would never hurt, and it is possible he has done enough research to answer all denialist claims). So depending on the denialist he may or may not have been able to debunk.

#16 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 26 December 2003 - 11:14 AM

Yeah Domino - I hear you...though perhaps your being a bit harch/demanding - and I agre with Sasun's point - he's a writer and not a scholar - and his books have gained a wider appreciation then just scholarly works and this brings soem recognition in and of itself - so not at all a bad thing.

But yeah - were (of course) anxiously awaiting the Domino institution of Genocide and Genocide denyining debunking institute!

Bring it on (the phrase of the day eh)...

#17 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 12:21 PM

Not knowing P.B. financial situation etc. I can only add that there is nothing wrong gaining some financial success from one’s work. What I don’t understand why we have a problem with celebrating success.3k seems a lot but add the air fair, hotel, food and you got a 1k left which is what most middle class Americans make a week.
He probably only can do this in a very narrow time period, once the book becomes year or two old then people generally lose interest hence no more invitations to go to.
I agree with Sasun that he is a writer not a scholar and I did enjoy reading his personnel memoirs. His first book is basically American Armenian searching for self identity and in the process brings forth the AG .Nothing wrong there and all the more power to him. He brought the issue to a larger audience

Edited by Armat, 26 December 2003 - 12:22 PM.

#18 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 12:31 PM

Domino j,
Perhaps the time is ripe for someone like you to write a denialist rebuttal book with all the details and the latest sleazy campaigns by the Turks.
The problem is who will buy it other then few Armenians.What we need is a major fictional narrative book, which could have potentials for a huge blockbuster. People like stories and get bored with statistics…

#19 America-Hye

America-Hye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 03:33 PM

Peter has done more for the Armenian Cause over the last few years than ANY other individual. College Professors don't make that much. Stop crticizing him. Stop being TYPICAL Armenians.

#20 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (America-Hye @ Dec 26 2003, 03:33 PM)
Peter has done more for the Armenian Cause over the last few years than ANY other individual. College Professors don't make that much. Stop crticizing him. Stop being TYPICAL Armenians.

Why don't you do something for the Armenian cause, and turn your tong 7 times before saying something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users