- - - - -

Mozilla

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:11 PM

Maybe it is psychologic, But Netscape 6.1 on Linux sound to be faster then the Windows version. The same goes of Opera 7.1b, that sound to be faster on Mandrake, then Windows... like I said, maybe it is psychological.

#22 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:13 PM

Azat, I have not seen Win2003, what has it more ? And beside for servers has it more adventages for the common users ?

#23 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:14 PM

Niari - don't worry - you won't be sorry :D If you ever need some tips/advice, I can refer you a few URLs that may ease your transition.

Domino - I'm not knocking XP :smilie_xp: here... I'm just offering friendly advice from Mac user :smilie_osx: to Mac user.... :)

Thanks! That Jaguar looks really cool as well! Is that the one you have? Too bad it's not a free download, or I would definitely get it. I guess I'm beginning to get used to OS X. It was kind of weird restarting in OS 9 just now. It all looks so old somehow...

#24 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:24 PM

Another thing, why is Internet faster in Linux, I can't understand, is there a logical explanation that it should be like that ? Since normally everything I tried were slower on it, but not Internet... thats weird.

oh please...

Are you telling me that you can notice the difference in getting a web page on Linus vs XP on the same browser? (netscape vs netscape on different OS)

I don't buy it. I am almost sure that you can't even tell the dif between IE on XP vs other browsers on Linux. I am certain that there are some differences in rendering but it is such a small difference in overall page display(request, download, render) that I do not think that a human can noticeably tell.

by the way Dan, I never let my 98 PC run for a day(it can't, just get too many errors), by xp box runs for months at a time without a shutdown.

#25 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:44 PM

Azat, I said, it may be psychological, but I find it faster, the program load slower, like every other programs on Linux, but once it is in the program, I find it faster, the configurations are on default, the download is around the same speed, but the pages sound to load faster, of course I can't compare it at the same time, because I can't run both OSs at the same time and say the difference, but when I use Mandrake, I have the fealing that it is faster.

Edited by Fadi, 11 May 2003 - 03:46 PM.

#26 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:46 PM

The reason I'm saying this, Azat, is that, when I had Win 98, I had no problems with hacking. When I installed Win XP, I started getting messages all over the place, even with the firewall on. And I was using the same internet connection at the time...

Sure, any hacker can attack your computer with Win 98 - but more so with Win XP.

#27 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:48 PM

Dan, maybe you got less messages, because you had so much, and the OS was made in a way that it could not have permited your firewall to detect those intrusions ? While you were swiming on intrusions. ;)

#28 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 03:50 PM

Niari - don't worry - you won't be sorry :D  If you ever need some tips/advice, I can refer you a few URLs that may ease your transition.

Domino - I'm not knocking XP :smilie_xp: here... I'm just offering friendly advice from Mac user  :smilie_osx: to Mac user.... :)

Thanks! That Jaguar looks really cool as well! Is that the one you have? Too bad it's not a free download, or I would definitely get it. I guess I'm beginning to get used to OS X. It was kind of weird restarting in OS 9 just now. It all looks so old somehow...

I'm such a nerd! Of course you must have Jaguar if you have Safari! Sorry...

#29 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 04:47 PM

Domino,

Previously, I was not getting ANY messages... None. Null. Zip. Nada.

Now I get at least 50 messages/hour. And it's getting really annoying. My firewall is the same. It's just that the minute I installed XP and connected to the internet, I started getting those messages. :blink:

And I DID install the security patches and updates provided by XP... :huh:

#30 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 07:41 PM

Dan, what "messages" are you talking about?

#31 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:24 PM

Sip, I think that he is talking about the Firewall messages, where it show messages of intrusion trial,

For me 50 messages per hour does not make sense at all, unless you have installed Kazaa and many many sharing programs in your system, where the computer thinks that everytime someone try to upload from you, that it has an intrusion.

Dan, the only reason why those security problems were as much discovered and discussed about is because of Windows XP used to replace NT as a server platform, for the common you and me, it is much much safer then Win98. And if you are not happy, then nothing stops you to install Mandrake 9.1, you can download it from the web for free... just try to install few drivers with it, I can garanty you that you will run back to WinXP as fast as you can.

Azat and Seaphan, I though about WindowsXP being slower on web... I think that all what I have installed in my system, and file sharing like Kazaa and stuff, it could explain why it is slower in part, or that this is the cases, or that like I said it is psychological.

#32 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:31 PM

Sip, I think that he is talking about the Firewall messages, where it show messages of intrusion trial,

If that's the case, then "getting messages" would be a good thing! That means the attempt was detected. I can easily get a TON of those kinds of "messages" an hour ... people have nothing to do but to sit there and do port scans or send some stupid childish ping-of-death or other idiotic things. I actually have people trying to systematically find and run cmd.exe on my SOLARIS machine!!!!!!!! IDIOTS!!!!

#33 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:33 PM

LOL ! I must admit, I do scans as well, but I am innocent. :)

BTW, Seaphan, I started a poll in the religion section, it got screwed, I can't edit it to try to correct that. Why for ? :(

#34 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:52 PM

Why don't you create a new poll, and I'll delete the old one.

#35 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:55 PM

But Seaphahn, thats a good idea, but that does not give me a clue of why it went wrong, so because of that I may do the same exact mistake. No ? ;)

#36 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 09:19 PM

I have never made a poll here either! So you probably know more than me at this point :) Don't worry ... if it goes wrong again, I'll delete it too.

#37 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 09:20 PM

Another thing, why is Internet faster in Linux, I can't understand, is there a logical explanation that it should be like that ? Since normally everything I tried were slower on it, but not Internet... thats weird.

oh please...

Are you telling me that you can notice the difference in getting a web page on Linus vs XP on the same browser? (netscape vs netscape on different OS)

I don't buy it. I am almost sure that you can't even tell the dif between IE on XP vs other browsers on Linux. I am certain that there are some differences in rendering but it is such a small difference in overall page display(request, download, render) that I do not think that a human can noticeably tell.

by the way Dan, I never let my 98 PC run for a day(it can't, just get too many errors), by xp box runs for months at a time without a shutdown.

I'm sure that there must be some sort of benchmarking software that can analyse browser/OS speeds when all other variable are equal... Seaphan??

#38 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2003 - 09:23 PM

I have never made a poll here either! So you probably know more than me at this point :) Don't worry ... if it goes wrong again, I'll delete it too.

OK, time to delete the rests beside that one.

http://armenians.com...=ST&f=25&t=6531

:)

Can you edit it, and take the "I" of the previous question, and add it to the "t" of the other, so it could produce an "It" if you can't its OK, that poll is still acceptable to read.

#39 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 09:30 PM

Niari - don't worry - you won't be sorry :D  If you ever need some tips/advice, I can refer you a few URLs that may ease your transition.

Domino - I'm not knocking XP :smilie_xp: here... I'm just offering friendly advice from Mac user  :smilie_osx: to Mac user.... :)

I'm such a nerd! Of course you must have Jaguar if you have Safari! Sorry...

Yes I do have Jaguar, actually I think the next version will be called 'Panther', and then after, I don't know, maybe 'Cheetah' (which will be the fastest of ALL!) :lol:

Anyway, I'm not sure if Safari comes with the download, but I've been using it for a few weeks now - and I have nothing but praise!

#40 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 09:33 PM

I'm not talking about warning messages. I'm talking about ad messages in the form of warning messages. i.e. it's not a browser pop-up page.

And I don't leave Kazaa open. Besides, I use Kazaa Lite. :unsure:

I donno. It's really annoying to get those ads and stuff every friggin minute. :(

Edited by Dan, 11 May 2003 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users