Chinese origins of Mamigonyans

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 05:23 PM

I am a Chinese man, and this is probably the only post I will put here. I have researched the alleged Chinese origin of the Armenian noble family, Mamigonyan. The story is located at:
http://www.virtualsc...osian/china/htm

There are many points of irony in Bedrosian's article and research to ignore. The most ironic is the Mamigonyan family name itself. Some have linked it to Georgian, meaning "Mamia" or father. But, when I first came across this article, the name "Mamigonyan" struck me as "Man-Gun" in the Chinese language meaning "people's army" literally. It is an ancient title of respect, honor and humbleness. It was first used in the Han Dynasty (200 B.C.s to 220 A.D.s). In fact, the militaries of both China and Taiwan still use this ancient title. The usage of this term implies that the men may have been military and aristocratic elite in opposition to an existing emperor's rule.

The time frame of the Mamigonyan ancestors' departure from China (200 A.D.s, not B.C.s) coincided to the time of turbulence, turmoil and endless rebellions/civil wars in the latter part of the Han Dynasty. I happened to visited Tajikistan (through China) this summer and found many caves once inhabited by ancient Chinese exiles and refugees fleeing the turmoil in Han Dynasty China. Look at these Chinese noblemen wielding swords in mural and fresco art in caves located in Panjikant, Tajikistan:
http://weecheng.simp...ik/frescoe1.gif

It's sad to see them clutching swords, because it meant they had to live that warfare style all their lives. They fought the nomadic Turkish Huns all their lives, and then they later had to fight fellow Chinese because of inept and corrupt emperors. The ancient Chinese language in the frescoes were hard to decipher, but the term "western barbarian" appeared in many of the mural art in many of the caves. They, of course did not wish to be exiled and in foreign lands. When inside, we felt and experienced the chilling and anguished feeling/spirits that many of these Chinese exiles went through. We asked the local Tajiks (through an Uigur translator) if they heard ancient legends and stories? They noted the close past ties between the Sogdians and Tang Dynasty Chinese in the early 7th cent. A.D., but even more close between the Han Dynasty Chinese and Ashkani (Parthian). They claim that Parthian originated in their territory (Kushan) and that many Parthian kings had summer palaces there. They mentioned the story of one famous local king married to a Han Dynasty princess. In fact, Chinese and Iranian intermarriage between royal families were common in the past. Royal princes and princesses were exchanged and Tajikistan was always the first place of stoppage between Iran and China.

Another term in the story, "Chenbakur" is the Farsi meaning Chen (China) + Bakur (Bag Pour, "son of the god). This may have been the Farsi translation for the legitimate title used by Chinese emperors, "Tenji" (son of the heavens).

It's very possible for the Chinese origin of this Armenian noble family, because the king of Armenia was also an Ashkani (Parthian) at that time. They were resettled in desolate territory far, far away from their Chinese homeland where they never had no chance to return back to. So sad, I felt their pain when I visited those caves in Tajikistan. But, they are now Armenians and Armenians are my friends and brothers. Any Mamigonyan can e-mail me. Any Armenian can e-mail me. We are long-lost brothers and sisters. God bless.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2000 - 05:28 PM

actually, the story is:
http://www.virtualsc...osian/china.htm

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2000 - 03:17 AM

That's true.
The best source on this topic is Raffi's novel "Samvel"
It's all about the Mamikonian Family and its origins.
Correction:The last name comes from an Armenain first name - Mamikon

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2000 - 07:54 AM

Is there a meaning for the first name "Mamikon?" Or, is it the family name or title used as descent from the 2 brothers in the family origin story (Mamik & Konak)?

1) Man-Gun= In Chinese, literally "people's army."

2) Zhang-Gun= In Chinese, "general."

3) Sa-Gun= In Turkish, "general."

4) Sho-Gun= In Japanese, "general."

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2000 - 02:03 PM

A friend of mine "Behruz" said this comment to me, something interesting that I didn't know.

I read the same thing in a book about Armenia in a book called "Armenie" of the "Que Sais-Je?" book series (in French) around 15 years ago. In the small book, it says that the original "Mamikon" was a Chinese mercenary fighting in the ranks of the Armenian local army. I thought everyone knew this .......
I don't know where is the Armenian forum, can you please forward this overthere. It might help them.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2000 - 02:10 PM

And BTW, something interesting:
In my ancestoral region in Iran where the Ostans (Ostan is something larger than a province) Esfahan, Pars and 4mBäxtyari border each other, there was an Armenian town called Kala Mamuka(n). In our local dialect U and I are pronounced very similar and A before N is pronounced like u (oo).

So can this town called Kala Mamukan has something to do with Mamikon?

BTW the word father in Georgian is Mama, not Mamia and homeland is calleed Mamuli which means related to father.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2000 - 09:14 PM

Yes, Chinese-Iranian relations are indeed very ancient and sometimes quite intimate. This occurred before the Arab Invasions and "Islamification" of Iran. The focal point of the Silk Road (100-700 A.D.s) mainly involved China and Iran.

There were a large exchange of peoples on both sides during that time. If people doubt this, I have researched the genetic and hereditary diseases of modern Chinese peoples. There is a prevalence of the hereditary Thalassemia blood disease among the Chinese people. Other Asians such as Koreans, Japanese and Mongols seldom have this blood disease. On the otherhand, it is also very prevalent in Iran, Arabic countries, India, Pakistan, some parts of Central Asia, Greece, Turkey and Italy. This disease spreads through genetic inheritance, and thus intermarriage facilitated the spread especially for countries located on the old Silk Roads.

Prince Perooz, the son of the last Sasani king Yazdgerd, fled to China, after the Arab conquests of Iran. He brought along with him ancient clans such as: Garen, Suren, Spabad, Varazpor, etc. They all settled in China and set up a court in exile. Today, there are still some traces of ancient Persian settlements in many Chinese villages. Chinese classical and opera music is heavily influenced or a slight derivative of the Persian court music introduced by Prince Perooz to the Chinese emperor.

Some of Iran's best elites fled to China and eventually became Chinese themselves, in wake of the Arabic conquests. This we don't deny and are proud of. The glory of pre-Islamic Iran is now in the blood of all Chinese. And, I feel kinship to my Iranian brothers and sisters who seek knowledge of their true past that is denied to them. This article provides a lot of insights into the plight of what the Sasani aristocrats dealt with in their flight to China:
http://www.iranian.c...hina/index.html

Another topic I studied is the influence of Chinese features on Persian art. When I look at some of the miniatures, the human figures sometimes look more Chinese than Persian. This art form was introduced into Iran during the Mongol (Ilhan) period. It was brought by Chinese artisans. When the Mongols conquered China, they "kicked out" and exiled all the former Chinese administrators, tax collectors, artisans, doctors, scientists, engineers, Nestorian Christians, foot soldiers and officers to the Middle East. In return, the Mongols in China imported Central Asian soldiers and administrators, Iranian scientists and musicians and Armenian merchants to serve Kublai Khan. The story of Marco Polo is a vivid example. The exiled Chinese instead were sent to the court of Hulagu Khan in Tabriz. One Chinese general, Kuo Kan, is said to be buried in the grasslands of Azerbaijan where he and his Chinese infantrymen reportedly retired and settled. They once helped the Mongols put down a rebellion (considered small matter) in Georgia. But, the main task was the use of the Chinese siege machines and foot soldiers in the destruction of Bagdad and Syria. The Mongols were horsemen and they relied on quick, lightning attack. The walls of Iran, Bagdad and Syria were not easily penetrable. So, with the use of Chinese rockets, artillery and siege machines, the Mongols were able to easily break through those walls. So, this gives an idea that the Mongol empire and fighting force were diverse and used/abused only for the advantage of Mongols.

Chinese did have an early relation or contact with Georgians also. The General Ban Chao and his envoy had travelled there after visiting the court of the Iranian (Ashkani or Parthian) king. They may even have left some officers in that territory to seek the exact location of Rome.

As to your question, I don't know the meaning of that place. Is it Farsi language? I read some Iranian history that the Sasani Iranian kings sometimes employed the Mamikonians to fight in their campaigns in Central Asia? Perhaps, they inherited their Chinese ancestors' tactics on fighting Central Asian nomads?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users