• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 03:16 PM

OK. This issue has been brought to the attention of the Diaspora Armenians several times and recently someone on a different Forum brought this issue again, and discussion about that might be very helpful.
It is about “ Buying Armenian goods”. Picture this. There are roughly 3 million Armenians in Armenia and around 6 million abroad. Out of these 9 millions at least 1,5 million are smokers – sad but true. If those who poison themselves on a daily bases ( me included), could buy decent Armenian cigarettes for less than 4 dollars a pack,(Armenians won’t go for anything less than Marlboro or Benson $ Hughes, especially those living in USA) you can imagine what kind of revenue that can produce for the Republic.
I remember in 1994 a relative of mine bought a very modern, good looking, fashionable, quality materials jacket from some store in Manhattan , New York. What was his surprise when he found out the signature on the label “Made in Armenia”. That doesn’t mean that one should buy bad quality products only because they are Armenian made, but I think there are several industry sectors in Armenia where they produce world class quality things.
We can talk a lot about how Diaspora Armenians can help the economical development of Armenia, but I think very few Armenians took the challenge and the risks to do business in Armenia due to very well known reasons. Therefore the most patriotic thing Armenians can do is Buy Armenian goods – if you can find them of course.

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,256 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 04:30 PM

good staf ) cool topic 

i my self have doing business in Armenia and with Armenian merchants for over 4 years now, at first it was hard, some aspects of it even harebell but in years i have got us to haw to do business with them and they have learn what i like.
so bittiven me and 5 Masters in Armenia we do good work.

But it's hard, #1 shipping it's horrible. #2 the customs in Armenia #3 #4 # 5~~~~

i guess it will teak some more time for thinks to get better, and for us to find new merchandise and items..

in LA we have Armenia Jermuk, Bjni, natural juce, cigarettes by grand tobacco, ice cram.
#1 "item" that Armenia has this days to export for us Armenians abroad is music, moves. so far nothing has taped these two.

#3 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 02 May 2002 - 08:40 PM

There are many top rated items that are exported from Armenia to the states besides the few that I can think of.

Jams(especially walnut), Different kinds of Juices, Dried Fruits, Excellent cognacs and other spirits(If I am not mistaken it is the number one export of the country), Tobacco for those that smoke and many other things.

There are many other businesses that prosper in Armenian exports. I know of two friends who have setup software development labs in Yerevan and are super happy with the quality of the work that they get.

I agree that the best way we can help the country is to buy Armenian.

#4 Samjan

Samjan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 04:25 PM

Yes, lets buy Armenian products but you can't find them! In my opinion, Armenian brandy, coffee and (of course) Jermouk are amongst the best in the world but you can't find them outside Armenia. We are very willing to buy Armenian goods, not just to support Armenia, but because we truly desire these products. However, something has to be done about the global marketing of these products.

I understand, Jermouk is now being sold in the UAE and successfully as well. Why can't this be done elsewhere?

#5 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:39 PM

http://www.noyan.am/

http://missionliquor...arat-vodka.html

http://www.cigaronne.com/

smile.gif

#6 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:40 PM

Gamavor jan, I wish we in LA area could help and had the opportunity to buy Armenian goods, but they are really hard to find as most of our beloved Armenian grocers carry 10-20 Turkish products for every Armenian product. Maybe Armenians in other states are a tad more patriotic and egotistic and do carry Armenian stuff. I dont know...

#7 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,256 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:22 AM

mi 2 shabat araj mi xanutPani het xosum eyinq hents iys temmayov - yev ir patasxan@ gites inch er ? - apricot.gif

"ara axper ba et el A mer Yerkirna che Axper - mer hayreniq@ - ba im karrot@ inchits - vonts arnem axper "

#8 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:47 AM

as lagotner@ bedke sadketzenen! heto, ays nuyn lagotner@ amen degh g'lan. turker@ mezi godoretzin, turker@ mezi chem kider inch urin...as pederast mudadzum@ minchev vor chi anhaidana, hayastan@ chi bi di shutkuvi.

#9 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,256 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

amen vochxari ir votqits en kaxum
amen inch ir jamanak @uni - apricot.gif hamperi

#10 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

Buying Armenian is not only a way to supplement the economy. It is the safest and surest way to attract foreign investments.

Most American Investment groups, due to peculiarities of American market economy, invest in industries that have proven their viability, with stabile market share and potential to grow.

European and Japanese investments are strategic and usually they prefer “green field” investments. They are very “fussy” and difficult to attract, because their presence is related to number of preconditions that should be in place. However in the long run, they are the ones that stay in the country.

Out of roughly 2 million Armenians in USA, 50% are forever lost to Coca-Cola and McDonalds, however if we can indoctrinate the rest to at least buy one product “Made in Armenia” in a month, that would be a great success.

It doesn’t seem as a difficult task, because Armenians are easy to be indoctrinated smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users