28 replies to this topic

#1 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:14 AM

Their fees are simply killing the project. They eat the little profit I make from all the fees, the worst of, their killing final value fees. mad.gif

I also have enough of xenphobic US residents who only ship to the US, and tired of all the BS they come up to justify it. mad.gif

#2 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:55 AM

I can understand your frustration.

speaking of ebay, i've recently purchased 3 items thru pay pal but never received the items, so I wonder, besides leaving bad feedback, how do we go about getting a refund of some sort. any suggestions?

#3 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(QueBeceR @ Dec 24 2006, 04:14 PM) View Post
Their fees are simply killing the project. They eat the little profit I make from all the fees, the worst of, their killing final value fees. mad.gif

I also have enough of xenphobic US residents who only ship to the US, and tired of all the BS they come up to justify it. mad.gif

You just realized?

The worst thing about it is that no company comes close to eBay, so they can charge whatever they want..

#4 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:01 AM

In Holland, there are two e-bay like places where they don't charge anything. Perhaps someone should start a new e-bay, sponsored by big companies, but where the sellers don't need to pay any fees to sell their products.

I also hate it when Americans refuse to sell things outside of the US. I've managed to convince some sellers otherwise, though. Maybe it has to do with how rare the product is (and possibly how good your feedback score is). I also always get in touch with the sellers, just to make sure there is someone at the other end of the line and ensure that the product is available (especially with those power sellers). As for the small sellers, it's always best to get in touch with them as well. Good for bargaining shipping prices, and again making sure there is someone at the other end of the line. As a final note, I always consider the question: how much am I willing to lose, in case I get cheated?

#5 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE(armjan @ Dec 24 2006, 06:55 AM) View Post
I can understand your frustration.

speaking of ebay, i've recently purchased 3 items thru pay pal but never received the items, so I wonder, besides leaving bad feedback, how do we go about getting a refund of some sort. any suggestions?

Paypal is very secure, you can request a refund, paypal request a tracking number for the products shipped, if they do not obtain it, they take the amount from the sellers Paypal acount and transfer it to you + a penality, I think something like 10$. The seller can still save this 10$, by giving you a full refund. Frauds hate Paypal, since it is more difficult to fraud.

#6 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(aSoldier @ Dec 24 2006, 09:17 AM) View Post
You just realized?

The worst thing about it is that no company comes close to eBay, so they can charge whatever they want..

If you sell something less than 20$, they charge you for the final value, of 5.25%, not to add the fees to list it. If you take in account the time and ressources you put in the listing and the product, hardly you make any money.

#7 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:12 AM

I am someone who has never sold anything on eBay, but is it not just a buck or two to sell things? what are the fees?

#8 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:21 AM

Try craigslist if you donīt want to use Ebay.

#9 neko

neko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(nairi @ Dec 24 2006, 03:01 PM) View Post
I also hate it when Americans refuse to sell things outside of the US.

And how about Europeans (as in mainland Europe) refusing to accept Paypal. I'd say maybe only 1% do. That's why almost nobody from America or Britain buys from ebay sellers in mainland Europe (and why many collectable items such as books, antiques, etc, sell for about 1/2 of US prices). Look on ebay.fr or ebay.de and see all the sellers who refuse to ship outside of France or Germany (some of the French ones even refuse to ship outside of Paris - as if the world ended beyond that city's limits!)

Edited by neko, 24 December 2006 - 11:59 AM.

#10 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(Azat @ Dec 24 2006, 11:12 AM) View Post
I am someone who has never sold anything on eBay, but is it not just a buck or two to sell things? what are the fees?

The one or two buck you are talking about is to list things. Once you sold, you will pay a % of the price of the product to eBay.

#11 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(neko @ Dec 24 2006, 12:58 PM) View Post
And how about Europeans (as in mainland Europe) refusing to accept Paypal. I'd say maybe only 1% do. That's why almost nobody from America or Britain buys from ebay sellers in mainland Europe (and why many collectable items such as books, antiques, etc, sell for about 1/2 of US prices). Look on ebay.fr or ebay.de and see all the sellers who refuse to ship outside of France or Germany (some of the French ones even refuse to ship outside of Paris - as if the world ended beyond that city's limits!)

Yeh, EUROPE! Not France selling only to France, it is harder for an European and cost more to sell outside Europe than Americans selling worldwide. And we are not talking about being it listed to .fr, but .com, the main eBay page. When you have idiots with user names like Bushrules, or thepatriot only selling to Americans,...

#12 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE(QueBeceR @ Dec 25 2006, 02:10 AM) View Post
If you sell something less than 20$, they charge you for the final value, of 5.25%, not to add the fees to list it. If you take in account the time and ressources you put in the listing and the product, hardly you make any money.

I know man, it's ridiculous.

#13 Nazarian

Nazarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:42 PM

I hate eBay, too. It's very difficult to make money on it unless you are a volume seller and have a store. The listing fees, final value fees, Paypal credit card payment fees simply kill any margin you had hoped for. I am amazed that there are still people who make money there. If I make a dollar or two on an auction, I consider myself lucky.

The Amazon fees are much higher if you sell a book. It's about 20%! But they do not charge listing fees and it stays on the site for 60 days or so. If you don't sell it, you don't lose anything.

Edited by Nazarian, 05 January 2007 - 02:43 PM.

#14 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(Nazarian @ Jan 5 2007, 03:42 PM) View Post
I hate eBay, too. It's very difficult to make money on it unless you are a volume seller and have a store. The listing fees, final value fees, Paypal credit card payment fees simply kill any margin you had hoped for. I am amazed that there are still people who make money there. If I make a dollar or two on an auction, I consider myself lucky.

The Amazon fees are much higher if you sell a book. It's about 20%! But they do not charge listing fees and it stays on the site for 60 days or so. If you don't sell it, you don't lose anything.

I suspect stolen products to be sold there. You sell a product and you know you offer it for a bargin compared to the retail price and then to find out that someone sell it much less than what you could get wholesale. How is this possible?

#15 aSoldier

aSoldier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hah! eBay just announced that they will be raising their fees again:

Let me say that, while we believe these changes are modest, we consider any changes that may impact our sellers with great care. These adjustments are the result of careful analysis and we believe they're the right thing to do to keep the marketplace strong for our eBay.com and eBay Motors sellers.

Core Listing Fees:
Auction-Style & Fixed Price*
Fee Type
Item Price New Fee Current Fee Insertion Fee Starting Price:
$1.00 - $9.99 $0.40 $0.35 Final Value Fee Selling Price:
$25.01 - $1000.00 3.25% 3%
*Does not impact Store Inventory Listings.

eBay Motors Vehicles Fees
The fees listed above will also apply to Parts & Accessories.
Fee Type
New Fee Current Fee Motorcycles & Powersports
Transaction Services Fee $40 $30 Cars & Trucks, Other
Vehicles & Trailers
Transaction Services Fee $50 $40 Motors Reserve Fee 0.1% of reserve price
($5 minimum,
$10 maximum) $5
To learn more about each of these changes, I invite you to read our Frequently Asked Questions and our eBay Fees Help page. (To learn more about Canada fee adjustments, please check the Announcement Board for eBay.ca.)

A Successful Online Holiday Shopping Season
As I've said many times, one of our most important jobs here at eBay is ensuring that we're driving buyers to the site. This online holiday shopping season was a big success, and I want to acknowledge the outstanding efforts this last quarter from our marketing team led by Gary Briggs. Our integrated "IT" campaign performed well for the second year in a row, reaching our targeted shoppers an average of 13 times per person.

#16 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(QueBeceR @ Dec 23 2006, 10:14 PM) View Post

Have Enough Of Ebay apricot.gif
i tell that to my self every day smile.gif
Ebay is good / just cover your ass, don't get excited, if the buyer Sims like to good to be true don;t even accept pay pal - ask him/her to send you a money order or bank transfer....

as for the fees Fedulik jan pay attention on how you list your items, don;t be adding 6 to 10 pics and pay for each one - get some web space and host your own pictures - design your own action listing page - instead of using ebay's premed pages - make some nice templates of your own.

if you wish to make money on ebay - you can also list items for others that can;t or don;t know haw to list / add a auction on ebay / you can charge up to 1/3 of the total to after goods on ebay smile.gif it's free money smile.gif

Fedul jan if you need help let me know - you know haw to get hold of me smile.gif

#17 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE(QueBeceR @ Jan 5 2007, 07:41 PM) View Post
I suspect stolen products to be sold there. You sell a product and you know you offer it for a bargin compared to the retail price and then to find out that someone sell it much less than what you could get wholesale. How is this possible?

anything is possible Fedul jan
but on think you need to take under consideration is - if you can offer 10 books a eek - some other Sellers can offer 1000 a week - so he /she gets a bigger discount

one more suggestion stop by at your local thrift stores / second hand stores and see if any of them are not on ebay - see if they are willing to make an extra $$$ by offering goods on ebay or any other web based auction / or open a account for them under their name and use their credit card - then if and when the items sold charge him %10 ro %15 of the total

Fedul jan also talk to your wholesale CO. see if you can get the goods for less smile.gif

#18 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(QueBeceR @ Jan 6 2007, 04:41 AM) View Post

I don't think they're stolen. All of those products have something wrong with them. They're factory mistakes (or whatever it's called). They can't be sold in regular shops, so they are going to be thrown away or recycled. E-bay power sellers somehow get their hands on these products (possibly for a friendly price, if not for free) and then sell them on for a supposedly cheap price on e-bay.

Edited by nairi, 07 January 2007 - 06:09 PM.

#19 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(nairi @ Jan 7 2007, 07:09 PM) View Post
I don't think they're stolen. All of those products have something wrong with them. They're factory mistakes (or whatever it's called). They can't be sold in regular shops, so they are going to be thrown away or recycled. E-bay power sellers somehow get their hands on these products (possibly for a friendly price, if not for free) and then sell them on for a supposedly cheap price on e-bay.

Nairi, I am talking about products which are still compagny sealed.

#20 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(QueBeceR @ Jan 8 2007, 02:52 AM) View Post
Nairi, I am talking about products which are still compagny sealed.

Can you give an example?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users