- - - - -

Alternative music

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2000 - 02:02 PM

I can't say i've ever heard any "Armenian music" as such, but what qualifies it.

What with us being thrown all around the globe in the last century, there must be loads of cool cultural cross' that have occured.

Personally, I like really abstract music. Stuff like Aphex Twin, Jamaican Dub, Rare groove, jazz...

I know there's a well respected hip-hop MC called Blade who's Armenian, but you wouldn't necesarily say he makes "armenian music".

The music i make certainly doesn't have "armenian instruments", but I hope it carries something of the nature of my people in it (although i'm not sure anyone else would see it like that), in that it's epic, intelligent, yet at the same time humble.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2000 - 06:19 PM

Dear Dan

It is so nice to have someone like you on this forum. Thanks for coming to my defense against the goon squad! Anyway, I think it is great that you are exploring your Armenian heritage. Don't let the extremists you see on this website turn you off.

Have you heard of a band called "System of A Down?" They are a hardcore band a la Rage Against the Machine, they are very Armenian, though they sing in English. You might like them. Also the Lebanese-Colombian singer Shakira has a song "Ojos Asi" which has Armenian oud and tar players.

Hope to see more of your posts! Ko unger(your friend) Steve

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2000 - 10:15 PM

I too am into 'alternative music' or whatever it's called nowadays. In the late 70's/early 80's I really got into punk and new wave and have had eclectic tastes ever since.

Recent faves include Stereolab, Julian Cope, Pizzicato Five, Guided By Voices, Moby, Orbital, Phish (OK, so shoot me), System of A Down, and Soulfly.

All time faves include the Beatles, Sex Pistols, DEVO, Black Sabbath, Zep, XTC, Damned, My Bloody Valentine...pretty much everything under the sun.

SOAD are great. The fact that they are Armenian just make them better. All time Armenian favorites are the oudists John Bilezikjian and Richard Hagopian.

Support Nune, Hokis Volume I and Harout Pamboukjian--at least they're trying to advance the sound in their own ways.

See ya at the record bins,

Mike (Pilafhead)

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2000 - 06:22 PM

Hi Dan from london, this is Kazza rom London! Pleased to meet you.
I too have exactly the same problem, about not hearing any armenian music as such. Perhaps we can help to enlighten each other! I just LOVE hip hop (Not the gangsta bad boy rap though! Eeeer)

Farsi - who exactly ARE the goon squad?? Please elaborate!

And as for you pilaf head, I will DEFINATLEY see you at the musical bargain bins because I practically live there!

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2000 - 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
And as for you pilaf head, I will DEFINATLEY see you at the musical bargain bins because I practically live there!

Oh yeah??? Well, we'll see who gets that rare UK promo-only colored vinyl autographed Pet Shop Boys-Dmitri From Paris Garage remix on Mo' Wax 12" first!

For about 20 years I've spent WAY too much on UK imports. The day I get to London will be VISA's biggest sales volume day ever!

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2000 - 07:38 PM

Oh Yeah???? Not if I nick it off you first!

Get off at Camden Town station, I'll meet you at the Woolworths.

P.S, If you really want the Pet shop boys i'll let you have it. I'll take culture club, and Hokis stuff (though they WONT be in the bargain bin!)

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2000 - 04:28 PM

note: Hokis4ever and ever!

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2000 - 06:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
note: Hokis4ever and ever!

I've been listening to the CD in the car the last couple days.

Do you know them/the crowd shown inside the CD? Is it basically just a small group of friends, or is the Armenian community still pretty close-knit in London?

I thought the man-on-the-street interviews they did at Glendale City College were pretty amusing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users