• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

ՕՃԱՌ/ ԱՃԱՌ
Soap
When one looks up ՕՃԱՌ one is redirected to ԱՃԱՌ
There are several entries, all the way from “avjar” (here may see how the “ojar/aujar-օճառ/ աւճառ” may have come from), many of which are connected to “soap”.
One of very interesting entries is that “ajar” also means “ceiling/roof”, obviously from the Arabic as in that language “ijar” means (house) rent, “վարձավճառ/vardzavjar”.

Here is me on my soap box again;
Posted Image

Many entries aside about “ojar/ajar”, let’s get back to its meaning of soap. Many of us know that cleansing agent as “sabon, (Fr.)savon, (Engl.)soap (Latin) sapo etc. We’ll why.
Armatakan;

ԱՃԱՌ- նեարդ- nerve կռճիկ**, ջիղ(once again nerve, but more so sinew/tendon)

**This is what this whole thing is about.
http://hyeforum.com/...40

Here we saw why Hrachia chose the family name “Ajarian”. His father’s nickname was “կռճիկ/krjik” that among many also means a much used remnant of a cake of soap. I had kind of known that, as in the Marash dialect that much used remnant of soap is known “krtik/kirtik” which I had assumed was from the furkish.

Of course this item will not be complete without getting into the plant Saponaria, among many it is best known as “soapwort”, ՕՃԱՌԱԽՕՏ[/b (soap grass)] in Armenian.
Which came first? The Plant or the Latin “sapo” for “soap“?

Among many Saponaria officinalis;
Posted Image
Ah!!! Here is another surprise, not to me. I had always known that the juice of that root was used in making halwa as an emulsifier.:

Cultivation and uses
Soapworts are cultivated for their attractive flowers; they grow freely in any soil and under most conditions. The crushed leaves or roots of S. officinalis have been used as a soap since the Renaissance. Museum conservators still use the soap made from its leaves and roots for cleaning delicate fabrics and it also makes a fine shampoo. [b]Soapworts are also used in the food industry, especially in the making of halva
(a sweet made using tahini and sugar or honey).

The only thing I knew then was that shirsh al-halaweh (meaning the root or vein of sweetness in Arabic, or plain soapwort root in English) ...

-----
Johannes Դու գիտէ՞ս «չիրիշ» (glue of sorts) բառի իմաստը: Ես չէի մտմտել մինչեւ այսօր որ նա Արաբ. » շիրիշshirish արմատ բառն է:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users