52 replies to this topic

#21 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Jul 23 2006, 09:23 PM) View Post
Along with Bulgaristan, Hırvatistan, Macaristan, Yunanistan and Suudi Arabistan...

Armenak,

Armenians today call their country Hayastan. Do we consider ourselves a backward STAN as well. BEfore judging anybody, let's examine why we keep holding on our slave name, why not the beautiful word HAYQ.

#22 Eurocentric

Eurocentric

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:40 AM

The proper name of Hayq needs to be restored, the anthem and the flag need to be changed. I like calling "Hayastan" a slave name though biggrin.gif

#23 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:38 PM

What do you 2 mean by "slave name"?

BEfore judging anybody, let's examine why we keep holding on our slave name, why not the beautiful word HAYQ.

Exactly, that's why I asked that question in my previous post. smile.gif

Edited by Dave, 24 July 2006 - 04:39 PM.

#24 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Jul 24 2006, 06:34 AM) View Post
Armenak,

Armenians today call their country Hayastan. Do we consider ourselves a backward STAN as well. BEfore judging anybody, let's examine why we keep holding on our slave name, why not the beautiful word HAYQ.

Did I say any of that? huh.gif

#25 Daniel-Palu

Daniel-Palu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(Nvard @ Mar 24 2002, 01:42 PM) View Post
Have you guys ever wondered how the other nations call us?It's clear that most of use ARM/ERM type of thing, but lots of our old neighbours have other variants, that can be very different, like:

Kurds:FLA

never heard that one even though i know kurdish huh.gif

#26 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 05:13 PM

Kurds call Armenia Ermenistan, like the Turks.

#27 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

The -Stan ending is just a Persian suffix that was added later.Like Hayastan means place of or home of Hye's.

"The suffix -stan or -sthan is Persian for "home of/place of".

"It appears in the names of many countries and regions, especially in central Asia and the Indian subcontinent which are the areas where Persian and related languages have historically been used. It is the Persian equivalent to the Latin ending -ia and the Germanic -land."

"The -stan form of the suffix is spelled ـستان in Arabic script, and is derived from a Persian suffix which came from an Indo-Iranian root (which also led to Indo-Aryan sthān(a), as found in place names like Rajasthan) expressing "place" or "where one stands". This, in turn, was derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *sta, "to stand" (which is the source of the English word "stand" and, via Latin, "state")."

From Wikipedia.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-stan

And if you scroll down the page a bit it shows some more good information on names of Countries that we Armenians say,and which some other Countries say for Armenia and so on.

#28 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:10 PM

Where did you get ***** in your nickname? Are you a turk? smile.gif

#29 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE(gamavor @ Jul 27 2006, 09:10 PM) View Post
Where did you get ***** in your nickname? Are you a turk? smile.gif

I was waiting for this from Arpa you beat him to it.laugh.gif

#30 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

I am not a Turk,I am Armenian.My mom sometimes calls me ***** so I made it a nickname of mine.People actually do call me Sako *****,only jokingly of course,even though I like the name.

Many Armenian leaders and Heroes were called *****.Boghos Nubar *****,the founder of the AGBU.Antranik *****,one of the great leaders against the Turks during the Genocide who later moved to Fresno,CA and died in Fresno,CA,where I live.

#31 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

And than we complain about stereotyping... smile.gif

#32 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

It's ok,many times on many Armenian forums people ask me that.

#33 shaunt

shaunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

One explanation I have seen relates Arm- with Aram. Somehow the "a" drops off, giving us Arm-enian, meaning the same thing as Aram-ean.

Aram denoted the northern region of Syria, just south-west of Van.

So "Armenian" = inhabitant of Aram.

#34 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:27 AM

Shaunt,you are exaactly right about that.

#35 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(Eurocentric @ Jul 24 2006, 03:40 PM) View Post
The proper name of Hayq needs to be restored, the anthem and the flag need to be changed. I like calling "Hayastan" a slave name though biggrin.gif

If you would have asked Michael Arlen Sr., he would preferred Hayastan. smile.gif Though this may have been because he was not aware of the fact that once upon a time it was called Haiq.

"I once had the idea of writing a history of Armenia; in which my first and original adventure would be to call my subject not Armenia, but Hayastan. Lest the Western reader--for whom, of course, my history was intended--should have any suspicion of pedantry in this, to him, new-sounding name of a country which he had long vaguely heard of as Armenia, I would explain that, as it is more correct to call a thoroughbred a thoroughbred and not a mongrel (it is, perhaps, too boastful a comparison, since no race of men can compare with a good dog in purity of blood), so it is more correct to call my country Hayastan and not Armenia. Hayastan, then, I shall call it: because (1) Hayastan is the real name of the country founded by the patriarch Haik; it was called Armenia (which is perhaps a perversion of Aramia, the country of the Aramians, or the followers of the great King Aram, "the terror of Asia," whose Empire stretched from the Caspian to the Propontis) first in the time of Darius Hytaspes, and is to this day called Armenia only by foreigners and in foreign languages. Because (2) Hayastan sounds better--so often a sufficient reason in itself for a change of name--without a touch of that contempt which is hinted at, at least to my oppressed ears, in the foreign name Armenia, once a title of admiration for the exploits of a great conqueror."

Dikran Kouyoumdjian (Michael Arlen), "The Courtesan of the East," The New Age, 22:18 (1918), p. 349.

Web: http://orage.mjp.bro...140814603912594

In "The London Papers," which Arlen wrote for The New Age and which would later be assembled and published with slight revisions as chapters in The London Venture, Arlen only calls Armenia Hayastan or "the land of (my father) Haik."

#36 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

I heard many times from my friends, who are from Mesopotamia, also I read many times, Armenian literature, that Kurds called us when we were there in our homeland "Flah". I guess that this word is Arabic origin, which is fallah that means farmer. When we lost our own ruler class, Kurds came from the southeast and became our rulers, our lords, our protectors, our fleshers, out there in southern Armenia. There is no conjunction between Kurds and historical region Corduch. They call their language Kurmanji other clans call their language Sorani. In addition, who are there in Dersim (western Armenia) call their language ZAZA.

#37 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

Why do the Arabs call our country "Armaniyah"

Correction: In Arabic Armenia is "Armeeeenya" (the "eeee" referring to the long pronounciation), not "Armaniyah"

#38 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

Why do the Arabs call our country "Armaniyah"

Correction: In Arabic Armenia is "Armeeeenya" (the "eeee" referring to the long pronounciation), not "Armaniyah"

#39 RemainFaithful

RemainFaithful

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:56 AM

In Arabic it is Armeeenya or ارمينيا

When they want to say the Armenian State/goverment, they say al-Dawla el-Armaniyah or الدولة الارمنية

If an Armenian guy is going to tell an Arab: "I am Armenian", he'd say: Ana Armani or انا ارمني
If an Armenian girl is going to tell an Arab: "I am Armenian", she'd say: Ana Armaniyeh or انا ارمنية

Also, in some arab coutries there are Armenian ministers. So the Arab journalists, in order differentiate an Armenian Minister from Armenia and a local Armenian Minister, they have added the vowel "ee". So the Armenian Minister from Armenia is called: al-Wazeer al-Armeeni, while the local Armenian Minister is called: al-Wazeer al-Armani.

#40 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:40 AM

Բարեւ հաւատացեալ բարեկամս՝
Ալ-վազիր ալարմանի կը նշանակէ հայ նախարար, մինչ ալ-վազիր ալարմինի կը նշանակէ ՀԱՅԱՍՏԱՆՑԻ նախարար: Չեմ հակասեր այլ կերկրորդեմ ըսածդ, յստակեցնելով, որ արմանի=հայ, մինչ արմինի=հայաստանցի կը նշանակէ:
Վերոյիշեալ մանրամասնութիւնը, որքանով կարեւոր է մարդկութեան առաջընթացի համար, թող ուրիշները որոշեն...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users