504 replies to this topic

#41 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 05:22 AM

Extra, I put it in the cookbook. Ask Azat where it is, or look for "karmir plaf".

Right here:

http://armenians.com...cipe.php?id=200

smile.gif

Edited by nairi, 08 October 2004 - 05:24 AM.

#42 dianjan

dianjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 06:57 AM

Congratulations! The site looks great, and the recipes are great. I think it's a great idea, especially for someone like me who is trying learn some of the old Armenian recipes. Thanks to everyone who helped out with the site. Sorry, I can't contribute to the list, but believe me I'll be refering to these recipes all the time.

#43 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (Maral @ Oct 7 2004, 11:08 PM)
Shiner,I just remembered we call that dish
Tamar's Simid... clap.gif

Azat!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh come on now,you HAVE to help me out here! unsure.gif

sad.gif Maral jan I hate that kind of Halva so I have no clue how my sister makes it. But I will ask tonight.

#44 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (Harut @ Oct 8 2004, 12:59 AM)
if you're trying to immpress Sip, just remember that the food doesn't matter, it's just got to be buffett style.

HAHHAHAHAHA. Ya and make sure no tomatos smile.gif

#45 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (dianjan @ Oct 8 2004, 05:57 AM)
Congratulations! The site looks great, and the recipes are great. I think it's a great idea, especially for someone like me who is trying learn some of the old Armenian recipes. Thanks to everyone who helped out with the site. Sorry, I can't contribute to the list, but believe me I'll be refering to these recipes all the time.

Dear Dianjan(are you related to Mosjan by any chance? you know DianJan-MosJan)

As a forum cookbook rule it is mandatory to invite Maral, Nairi, Extra, Anileve, Movses, Edward, Sip, Harut, and I to dinner any time you use one of our recipes. So what time should we be there tonight?

#46 dianjan

dianjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Oct 8 2004, 10:14 AM)
Dear Dianjan(are you related to Mosjan by any chance? you know DianJan-MosJan)

As a forum cookbook rule it is mandatory to invite Maral, Nairi, Extra, Anileve, Movses, Edward, Sip, Harut, and I to dinner any time you use one of our recipes.  So what time should we be there tonight?

Dear Azat,
No I'm not related to MosJan, it's just our names sound a like smile.gif
Everyone's welcome to dinner, let me know when you can make it? I have to warn you though, I'm just learning how to cook, so I still have a long way to go. smile.gif

Edited by dianjan, 08 October 2004 - 09:05 AM.

#47 Haytorontonian

Haytorontonian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (shiner @ Oct 7 2004, 10:52 PM)
1 cup cream of wheat
1 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 stick butter

Put the cream of wheat in a pot by itself with nothing else over the stove. Let it fry until it turns pink.

In a separate container mix the milk, sugar, and butter and bring to a boil. This is the hot syrup.

Then take this hot syrup and pour it over the pink cream of wheat. Then start mixing over very low flame. Keep mixing until all the syrup is sucked in. Then turn off the stove and let it rest.

Once it has rested and cooled to warm and risen a little more, mix it one more time to make it fluffy. Then you are done. Put cinnamon on it if you wish or other stuff.

You forgot the pine nuts. Put the pine nuts in the pot first, stir them constantly and make sure they are pink then add the cream of wheat and follow the rest.

#48 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (dianjan @ Oct 8 2004, 09:05 AM)

Dear Azat,
No I'm not related to MosJan, it's just our names sound a like smile.gif
Everyone's welcome to dinner, let me know when you can make it? I have to warn you though, I'm just learning how to cook, so I still have a long way to go. smile.gif

It's ok..we'll be fine..just keep the wine flowing,we won't notice the food smile.gif

#49 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (Haytorontonian @ Oct 8 2004, 09:14 AM)

You forgot the pine nuts.  Put the pine nuts in the pot first, stir them constantly and make sure they are pink then add the cream of wheat and follow the rest.

well I thought this was just a family recipe we threw together....it's perfect in the cold weather with some tea smile.gif clap.gif

#50 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Oct 8 2004, 08:09 AM)
sad.gif Maral jan I hate that kind of Halva so I have no clue how my sister makes it.  But I will ask tonight.

Azat...oh but it's like biting down on butter!Man it's good..and now I want some,but I want to make it...so please ask your sis for me..plz plz plz....I'll give you a $1 kisss.gif

#51 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 08 October 2004 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (nairi @ Oct 8 2004, 05:22 AM)
Extra, I put it in the cookbook. Ask Azat where it is, or look for "karmir plaf".

Right here:

http://armenians.com...cipe.php?id=200

smile.gif

Thanks Nairi, your the best. smile.gif Now do you have any other yum yum recipes for me? eat.gif
Azat and Harut, who said I didn't want to impress everyone on this forum? Here I was trying to surprise everyone. cool.gif

Edited by ExtraHye, 08 October 2004 - 11:19 AM.

#52 dianjan

dianjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Oct 8 2004, 12:50 PM)
It's ok..we'll be fine..just keep the wine flowing,we won't notice the food smile.gif

Good idea. I'll just bye lots of wine. smile.gif

#53 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (dianjan @ Oct 8 2004, 02:21 PM)
Good idea. I'll just bye lots of wine. smile.gif

clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
wine.gif wine.gif wine.gif wine.gif wine.gif wine.gif

#54 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:38 PM

My Metzmam used to make the BEST karmir plaf... always nice and fluffy, and with big chunks of beef or lamb...mmmmm drool.gif I miss that a lot.

#55 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 02:40 PM

Our Garmir pilaf...is bulghorov pilav...made with bulghor and onions and bellpeppers and tomotoes...that's not what you're talking about I see smile.gif

#56 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (vava @ Oct 8 2004, 01:38 PM)
My Metzmam used to make the BEST karmir plaf... always nice and fluffy, and with big chunks of beef or lamb...mmmmm drool.gif  I miss that a lot.

yes Vava jan me too since she ............. sad.gif i miss it also, specialy with matsun smile.gif my feyvorit!

#57 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 03:26 PM

Bloody hell, I gave you the easiest recipe to make it. With your cooking skills, you should be able to make something excellent out of it! So no more complaining! It's the easiest dish ever!!!!!!!! Especially if you know how to make rice... Okay that was bad... Mine turns out bad half the time (not enough water, too much water, not enough salt, too much salt, burnt underneath, that sort of thing).

#58 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Maral @ Oct 8 2004, 09:51 AM)
Azat...oh  but it's like biting down on butter!Man it's good..and now I want some,but I want to make it...so please ask your sis for me..plz plz plz....I'll give you a $1  kisss.gif

Here we go Maral jan

1 cup of white flour.
Pinch of salt
1 stick of butter
1/2+ cup of sugar
small amount of granulated/powder sugar

Slowly roast the flour in a medium size skillet. Add the pinch of salt. Bring the flower to a medium brown color.(the whole house would stink bu this time.

Start adding the butter at this time(when the flour is brown already. Divide the stick to 8 parts and ad one part at a time and mix. You will get a paste. mix constantly so that you do not get any lumps in it.

Right after the butter add the sugar to taste. Minimum 1/2 cup.

spread the mixture in a flat plate to cool. but before it is completely cool cut the halva into diamond serving sizes.

Serve when cool. sprinkle some powder sugar on top prior to serving.

Maral jan please do not invite me to eat this stuff.

#59 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Oct 8 2004, 03:26 PM)
Bloody hell, I gave you the easiest recipe to make it. With your cooking skills, you should be able to make something excellent out of it! So no more complaining! It's the easiest dish ever!!!!!!!! Especially if you know how to make rice... Okay that was bad... Mine turns out bad half the time (not enough water, too much water, not enough salt, too much salt, burnt underneath, that sort of thing).

What did I say? blink.gif sad.gif Just asking if you knew any other recipes, we might have some barskahye guests and I don't know what to make. smile.gif

#60 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (ExtraHye @ Oct 21 2004, 09:10 PM)
What did I say?  blink.gif  sad.gif Just asking if you knew any other recipes, we might have some barskahye guests and I don't know what to make.  smile.gif

Make some Ghormeh Sabzi & coocoo. MMMM!!!! drool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users