47 replies to this topic

#1 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

I think it's about time, that we had a special thread for a special soccer (football) player Henrikh Mkhitaryan.

Mirror, UK

Dec 1 2016

Henrikh Mkhitaryan opens up about loss of father - who wanted him to be a lawyer or doctor The Armenian has enjoyed an emotional rise to the top and he has revealed how playing football helped him get over the heartbreak of his father Hamlet's death

Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-and-his-dad.jpg

Henrikh Mkhitaryan and his dad (Photo: Twitter/@HenrikhMkh)

Henrikh Mkhitaryan has opened up about the loss of his father and admitted he would not be a footballer if he was still alive.

The 27-year-old has had a remarkable rise to the top, having fled war-torn Armenia as a baby in 1989.

After starting his career at Pyunik, Mkhitaryan enjoyed spells in Ukraine and Germany before joining Manchester United in the summer.

Things could have worked out very differently for the Armenian skipper had his father Hamlet, also a footballer, not passed away due to a brain tumour when he was very young.

While he admits his father would be "very proud" of his achievements, the United man concedes he would instead be a lawyer or doctor, were he still alive.

"Everything happened very fast. Within a year, he was gone. Because I was so young, I didn’t completely understand the concept of death," he told The Players' Tribune.

"The year after my father died, I started football training. He was the drive for me, he was my idol. I said to myself, I have to run just like him. I have to shoot just like him."

Just seven years ago, Mkhitaryan was plying his trade with Armenian side Pyunik, who he helped win four titles.

Similar success followed with Shakhtar Donetsk and Borussia Dortmund before United came calling.

The decision was an easy one for Mkhitaryan, who concedes he didn't want to have any regrets later in life had he snubbed the Red Devils.

"I will never forget that moment, nor will I forget the time I put on the red Manchester United shirt before my first training session with the club," he added.

Despite his joy at the move, Mkhitaryan has endured a frustrating time under Jose Moutinho.

The Armenian has started just one Premier League game for the Red Devils but turned in his most impressive display against West Ham on Wednesday night.

United fans have called for the Armenian to retain his spot for the weekend trip to Everton and he has vowed to "never give up" as he bids to make his mark in England.

"It would be fair to say that the start of my life in Manchester was not perfect. I will continue working every day so that I can help the team succeed," he added.

http://www.mirror.co...up-loss-9374459

• onjig likes this

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:10 PM

Title: Video: Mkhitaryan's Man of the Match performance - Official Manchester United Website
Mkhitaryan's best moments v West Ham

01/12/2016 17:09, Report by James Tuck. Video by Steve Bibby

Henrikh Mkhitaryan was voted Manchester United’s Man of the Match for the second time in a week after excelling in Wednesday’s 4-1 EFL Cup victory over West Ham United.

Having been named the Reds' star man in Thursday’s Europa League win over Feyenoord, the Armenian put in another eye-catching display against the Hammers to help the Reds reach the semi-finals, after which he spoke of his excitement at both his display and the team's performance.

Starting for the third time this season, Mkhitaryan was involved in both of United’s first two goals, playing in Zlatan Ibrahimovic with a superb backheel for the early opener and setting up Anthony Martial with an intelligent lay-off soon after the interval.

The 27-year-old was heartily applauded by the home fans when he was replaced by Marcus Rashford late in the game and he subsequently collected 78 per cent of the votes in the Man of the Match poll on United's official Twitter feed.

Click the image above to see the best bits of Mkhitaryan's performance in Wednesday’s triumph at Old Trafford, as well as a selection of fans' social media comments on the playmaker's promising outing.

-HSB
Sent from my ՀայPhone

• MosJan likes this

#3 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

The Daily Star, UK
Dec 8 2016

'World class player!' Manchester United fans ecstatic as Mkhitaryan scores his first goal

HENRIKH MKHITARYAN scored his first goal for Manchester United against Zorya Luhansk and fans are singing his praises on Twitter.

By Konstantinos Lianos /

Published 8th December 2016
Twitter reacts to Henrikh Mkhitaryan's first goal for Manchester United Thursday, 8th December 2016
HENRIKH MKHITARYAN scored his first goal for Manchester United against Zorya Luhansk and fans are singing his praises on Twitter.
1 / 14

743653.jpg
GETTY

Twitter reacts to Henrikh Mkhitaryan's first goal for Manchester United

CHECK OUT THE FANS' REACTION IN OUR GALLERY ABOVE

The Armenia international made it 1-0 for the Red Devils after a fantastic run just three minutes into the second half.

Mkhitaryan was initially sidelined by Jose Mourinho but it now looks like he is here to stay.

Manchester United fans are ecstatic and some of them are even describing him as a world-class player.

http://www.dailystar...-sportgalleries           

• onjig likes this

#4 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:12 PM

Ibrahimovic ‘super happy’ for rejuvenated Mkhitaryan
Mkhitaryan-Ibrahimovic-620x300.jpg

The Red Devils striker hailed a “beautiful” goal from his Armenian team-mate in Thursday’s Europa League win at Zorya, according to Goal.com.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic believes Henrikh Mkhitaryan is poised to make his mark on Manchester United after playing a starring role in Thursday’s 2-0 win at Zorya.

Armenia playmaker Mkhitaryan scored his first goal since leaving Borussia Dortmund for Old Trafford in the Europa League success, which secured Jose Mourinho’s side a place in the knockout rounds.

After a shaky start to life at United – including being hooked at half-time on his first start, a Manchester derby defeat – Mkhitaryan has blossomed in recent games.

He offered a glimpse of his true quality in sub-zero Ukrainian conditions, charging from the centre circle before nutmegging Rafael Forster and finishing smartly.

Ibrahimovic rounded off the win with a late breakaway goal – his 13th of the campaign – but the Swedish icon was quick to put the limelight on Mkhitaryan.

“The first goal was magnificent,” Ibrahimovic told MUTV. “Henrikh had speed and control all the way, and the timing to put it through the defender’s legs… it was beautiful.

“Henrikh had speed and control all the way, and the timing to put it through the defender’s legs… it was beautiful.

“He killed the game off by scoring the goal and did a great job tonight.

“I’m very happy for him because he’s a quality player and I hope he continues; I know he will. I’m super happy for him.”

http://www.armradio....ted-mkhitaryan/

• MosJan likes this

#5 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

00:56  AMT,  December 9, 2016
Europa League: Mkhitaryan is recognized Man of the Match
73712.jpg

As a result of an online voting on the Manchester United (a.k.a. Red Devils) official Twitter account, midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan has been recognized Man of the Match in the English club’s last Europa League group match Thursday against FC Zorya Luhansk (Ukraine).

In the game that was played in Odessa, Ukraine, the 27-year-old Armenia international was in Man United’s starting eleven, and he scored his first goal for the Red Devils who won the match by a score of 2-0.

Manchester United have advanced to the Europa League playoffs.

https://sport.news.am/eng/news/73712/

• MosJan likes this

#6 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:15 PM

What a delight to watch Henrikh this morning, what a beautiful game winning goal. People remember my words we have a legend in the making, he plays football like a grand master of chess.

His football sense is amazing, he knows where to be when he is without the ball, his quick turns with the ball creates the necessary space with clinical passes. I'm pretty sure he will be the man of the match again, but unfortunately he sustained an injury towards the end and left on a stretcher, looked like an ankle problem I hope it's a minor one.  Good luck!

#7 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

Jose Mourinho picks Henrikh Mkhitaryan as Manchester United’s man of the match against Tottenham
default-user.png?resize=40%2C40&quality=
Chris Davie for Metro.co.ukSunday 11 Dec 2016 5:36 pm

gettyimages-629134002.jpg?w=748&h=513&cr
Henrikh Mkhitaryan struck to secure a vital victory for Manchester United over Tottenham. (Getty Images)

Jose Mourinho has named Henrikh Mkhitaryan as Manchester United’s man of the match against Tottenham.

The 27-year-old’s strike in the 29th minute – his first goal at Old Trafford – sealed a 1-0 win to see off Mauricio Pochettino’s side.

And while Mourinho paid tribute to the Armenian’s performance, the Manchester United boss also praised Hugo Lloris for keeping Tottenham in the game.

‘I think Mkhitaryan man of the match,’ said Mourinho.

gettyimages-629133906.jpg?w=620&h=416&cr
Mkhitaryan scored his first goal at Old Trafford to see off Spurs. (Getty Images)

‘But if you have a trophy for the second man of the match you give to [Hugo] Lloris.

‘Because the save he makes with 50 seconds in the game is a goal save, and then he makes another one, and then he makes another one, and then the post is his friend.

‘We should score more goals, but because we don’t score more goals, we know that if we concede we’re in trouble.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2.../#ixzz4SYgWvnNh

#8 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Henrikh Mkhitaryan strike enough for Manchester United vs. Spurs

MANCHESTER, England -- Henrikh Mkhitaryan's goal proved enough for Manchester United to claim a home win over Tottenham, but the Armenian's injury was a blow:

1. Mkhitaryan's success overshadowed by injury

It would be a cruel blow for Henrikh Mkhitaryan if the ankle injury he suffered toward the end of Sunday's 1-0 victory over Tottenham halts his progress at Manchester United.

In September, Mkhitaryan paid a heavy price for failing to play to instructions during United's 2-1 defeat at home to Manchester City: The Armenian was cast into the Old Trafford shadows for two months afterward by Jose Mourinho. But the midfielder has undoubtedly proved his worth in recent weeks.

Mkhitaryan's inability to press City's full-backs that day led to both goals by the visitors, and Mourinho's fury resulted in the summer signing from Borussia Dortmund being forced to watch from the sideline for what seemed an eternity until he returned to the fold in November with a 30-minute substitute appearance against Fenerbahce in Istanbul.

But since Mkhitaryan was handed his return to the starting XI against Feyenoord three weeks ago, there has been no looking back for the midfielder, who followed up his first goal for United against Zorya Luhansk in midweek with his first in the Premier League -- a stunner against Tottenham.

The 27-year-old's form asks whether Mourinho was too tough on him during his lengthy spell out of the team, but perhaps the United manager called it correctly.

He has spoken of needing to work on Mkhitaryan's physical attributes as well as his tactical strengths, and it is fair to say that neither were particularly impressive during his humbling 45 minutes against City in September.

Whatever Mourinho's motivation, Mkhitaryan's recent performances -- he was excellent once again against Spurs -- are justifying the treatment he received from his manager.

Mkhitaryan looks hungry and determined, and he is becoming a driving force in games for United. He has added adventure and invention in the final third, offering more mobility than Juan Mata and quicker feet than Wayne Rooney.

Danny Rose's late challenge on Mkhitaryan did not look good, however, and United and Mourinho will now be hoping he recovers swiftly.

#9 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:15 AM

Mourinho is a hypocrite!!!!!!!  Henrikh made him eat his words, you don't sack a player for having a half a bad game at first try when more than half your team did suck in that game.

Mkhitaryan Becomes First Armenian to Score a Goal in the Premier League

By Weekly Staff on December 11, 2016 in HeadlineNewNews // 

MANCHESTER, U.K. (A.W.)—Manchester United’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan became the first Armenian national to score in the Premier League. Ninety-six countries have now been represented on the score sheet of the top English league, according to The Score sports outlet.
Andrew-Yates-Reuters-1024x768.jpg

Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Photo: Andrew Yates/Reuters)

“Since being given consistent minutes by [head coach Jose] Mourinho, the former Borussia Dortmund stud has added vital creativity and guile, showcasing the skills that made him so desirable to European heavyweights in recent years,” wrote The Score’s Gianluca Nesci.

Iranian-Armenian Andranik Teymourian—who represents Iran’s national team—had previously scored twice in the Premier League for the Bolton Wanderers F.C.

Below is a video of the game’s highlights. Mhitaryan’s goal can be seen at 0:34.

https://youtu.be/H5QoneNMBy0

Armenia’s 27-year-old captain and star midfielder’s goal led Manchester United to a 1-0 win against rival Tottenham. Mhitaryan was carried out in a stretcher in the 85th minute with a left ankle injury. Mourinho told reporters after the match that the injury was not serious and that he expects Mkhitaryan to be back in the lineup in the next two weeks.

“Mkhitaryan has been slowly integrated into United’s first team since his move from Borussia Dortmund last summer, with Mourinho keen to ease the Armenian into the demands of English soccer. Now he is settled, Mkhitaryan is looking the part. And the pace and quick thinking he showed for his goal was something United has been lacking,” wrote The Canadian Press.

Mhitaryan agreed to join Manchester United on July 6, on a four-year contract with the option to extend for a further year.

hm.png

‘[Henrikh Mkhitaryan] becomes the first Armenian to score in the [Premier League]’ tweeted the Premier League.

“I am very proud to join Manchester United; this move is a dream come true for me. I am excited to play for a club with such an illustrious history and hope to be part of it for a long time,” said Mkhitaryan at the announcement of the deal on July 6. “I thank the trust the club and Jose Mourinho have put in me. Finally, I believe playing for such a great club honors my father’s memory, and the inspiration and drive he gave to me when I was young,” he also added.

During the press announcement, Manchester United coach José Mourinho said that he was excited to work with the Armenian star. “Henrikh is a very talented footballer who has been in such prolific form for both his club and his country. He is a real team player with great skill, vision and also has a good eye for goal. I am delighted he has chosen to sign for United. I believe he will make an impact on the team very quickly as his style of play is suited to the Premier League. We are all looking forward to working with him,” said Mourinho.

http://armenianweekl...premier-league/

• MosJan likes this

#10 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

The Sun, UK
Dec 10 2016

MK SEVEN Manchester United star Henrikh Mkhitaryan is a genius on and off the pitch and can speak SEVEN different languages

Armenian midfielder is now starting to fire for Red Devils and netted his first goal for club in Europa League win over Zorya

By ALEC SHILTON
10th December 2016, 4:29 pm

HENRIKH MKHITARYAN has won the hearts of Manchester United fans with his attitude since moving from Borussia Dortmund over the summer.

The Armenian has not been afraid to speak to the media after matches, despite Jose Mourinho having been slow to integrate him into his team.

nintchdbpict000287794256.jpg?w=708&strip
PA:Press Association
Henrikh Mkhitaryan can speak seven different languages

And it is little wonder that he is confident stepping in front of the cameras given his grasp of English.

Mkhi is a comfortable speaker and said all the right things after netting his first goal for the club in their 2-0 Europa League victory over Zorya.

And it is just one of an incredible SEVEN languages in which he is fluent.

Apart from his native tongue of Armenian, as well as the English he learned when taking his first steps in the professional game, Mkhi can speak French having lived there as a boy and idolised Zinedine Zidane before returning to Armenia aged seven.

He also learned Portuguese when he stayed in Brazil as a 14-year-old, added to the Russian he learned to speak with his grandmother.

Mkhi learned Ukrainian during five years spent there playing for Metalurh Donetsk and Shakhtar Donetsk, before picking German up for good measure during his three years at Dortmund.

nintchdbpict000287716719.jpg?w=960&strip
Reuters   
Mkhitaryan nets his first goal for Manchester United

nintchdbpict000287732684-e1481385824753.    
AP:Associated Press

Mkhi struggled for game time in the first three months of the season under Mourinho, who has since praised the "evolution" of the man he shelled out £27million to land.

After netting a superb solo effort against Zorya, Mkhi is now targeting a goal against Spurs on Sunday to pay back the fans that have been calling for him to start.

https://www.thesun.c...even-languages/

#11 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

Pundit Arena
Dec 11 2016

Watch: Henrikh Mkhitaryan Puts Manchester United In Front With An Exquisite Finish

Callum Connolly December 11, 2016

It looks like Henrikh Mkhitaryan has finally hit form at the right time for Manchester United.

The Armenian has endured a somewhat frosty relationship with manager Jose Mourinho since arriving in the summer for £26.3 million from Borussia Dortmund and did not feature in the Portuguese’s plans whatsoever in the early stages of the season.

However, after fan criticism and hard work from the Armenian, Mourinho has slowly but surely introduced him back into the starting eleven, and the former Shakhtar star has surely earned his place with some recent displays.

Mkhitaryan bagged his first goal in Manchester United colours on Thursday against Zorya in the Europa League, and soon afterwards told reporters that he had set his sights upon scoring his first goal at Old Trafford.

It took the midfielder just 29 minutes to accomplish that target against Tottenham Hotspur, with United capitalising on a mistake made by Harry Kane.

Mkhitaryan latched onto a through ball and the 28-year-old made no mistake with an emphatic finish past Hugo Lloris.

Needless to say, everyone is convinced by his quality at this stage.

http://www.punditare...quisite-finish/

#12 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:39 AM

The Mirror, UK
Dec 11 2016

Manchester United suffer Henrikh Mkhitaryan blow as midfielder sustains ankle injury against Tottenham The Armenian scored his first Premier League in the opening 45 minutes, then left the field on a stretcher late on

Jose Mourinho is sweating over the fitness of Henrikh Mkhitaryan after the midfielder was forced out of Sunday's clash against Tottenham with an ankle injury.

The Armenian ace scored his first Premier League for Manchester United in the opening 45 minutes to earn the Red Devils the points at Old Trafford.

However, the midfielder left the field on a stretcher in the dying minutes after a strong challenge from Danny Rose.

Mourinho is hopeful the injury to Mkhitaryan is not as serious as first feared.

Manchester-United-v-Tottenham-Hotspur-Pr

Henrikh Mkhitaryan receives treatment on an ankle injury (Photo: Getty Images)
Manchester-United-v-Spurs.jpgThe midfielder is taken off by a stretcher (Photo: Getty)

The 27-year-old will definitely miss next Wednesday night's trip to Crystal Palace and is expected to sit out the clash against West Brom too.

Mourinho said: "It looks like next match, no, but it looks like it is nothing dangerous or needing surgery, so hopefully we have Mkhi back probably Boxing Day."

Eric Bailly replaced the former Borussia Dortmund star for the closing stages as United held on for a 1-0 win.

Teammate Michael Carrick added: "Henrikh Mkhitaryan is so talented, clever, such a nice lad and I just hope his injury is not too bad."

http://www.mirror.co...itaryan-9437615

#13 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

Jamie Redknapp: Mkhitaryan absence has cost Man Utd six or seven points
Jamie-Redknapp-620x300.jpg

Goal.com – Jamie Redknapp believes that the Red Devils would be occupying a top-four position in the Premier League had they used their Armenian summer signing more frequently.

Manchester United’s reluctance to offer Henrikh Mkhitaryan regular football during the early part of the season has cost them “six or seven points”, according to former Liverpool midfielder Jamie Redknapp.

The Red Devils spent big on the Armenian forward over the summer, with a reported £26.3 million fee taking him to Old Trafford from Borussia Dortmund.

Mkhitaryan has impressed since being brought back in from the cold and, after he netted the winner in Sunday’s crucial victory over Tottenham, Redknapp believes that United would be sitting inside the Champions League places had they shown greater faith in his ability.

“I don’t buy the argument that Henrikh Mkhitaryan needed time to adjust to the Premier League,” he wrote in the Daily Mail.

“If he had started sooner, I’m convinced Manchester United would have six or seven more points.

“He is like Philippe Coutinho or Mesut Ozil in his ability to unlock the door and see passes that others don’t.

“He shone in the fast and furious pace of the Bundesliga so why wasn’t he even on the bench for so long?”

http://www.goal.com/...or-seven-points

http://www.armradio....r-seven-points/

#14 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:23 AM

Mkhitaryan scores stunning goal as Man United beats Sunderland - Video

pngp_W13_sz6a.png

Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored an acrobatic back flick to wrap up Manchester United’s 3-1 win over Sunderland in the English Premier League on Saturday, ensuring a miserable return to Old Trafford for former United manager David Moyes,  according to the Associated Press.

On as a second-half substitute, Mkhitaryan met Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s right-wing cross with a flicked finish with the heel of his right foot that flew into the corner in the 86th minute.

Mkhitaryan was in an offside position but it didn’t stop home fans at Old Trafford saluting a player who is growing in importance in his first season at United.

Ibrahimovic also set up the opening goal for Daley Blind in the 39th before scoring his 16th goal of the season in the 82nd after being played through by Paul Pogba.

Sunderland’s consolation was scored by Fabio Borini in stoppage time.

It was Moyes’ first game at Old Trafford since he was fired by United in April 2014, 10 months into his ill-fated tenure as Alex Ferguson’s hand-picked replacement.

United has won its last four league games to power back into contention for the Champions League qualification places.

https://youtu.be/79Cv-LElW2Y

http://www.armradio....r-in-late-show/

#15 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

ITV, UK
Dec 26 2016

Man United boss Mourinho in awe of Mkhitaryan goal
stream_img.jpg
Henrikh Mkhitaryan scored a superb goal. Photo: PA

Jose Mourinho was taken aback by the "phenomenal" Henrikh Mkhitaryan goal that capped Manchester United's comprehensive win and ensured a chastening Old Trafford return for Sunderland manager David Moyes.

Initial struggles to break into the squad, never mind the line-up, have become a thing of the past for the talented Armenian, who has rapidly become a fans' favourite.

Mkhitaryan netted in a third successive match on Boxing Day and few can have opened their United account with three better goals after he followed up his excellent solo goal

Back from an ankle complaint, the 27-year-old substitute met a cross from Zlatan Ibrahimovic with an outrageous flick towards the end of the 3-1 win against Sunderland.

"I have to watch back on TV because I didn't yet, but it looked for me phenomenal," Mourinho said of the beautiful, if in fact offside, goal.

"I think he scored in the right goal, the Stretford End, with the people very enthusiastic just behind.

"It was a great moment and for him important because he was going up and up and then the injury comes.

"He was out of two matches and he's back. And to be back not just (with) the goal, I think he also brought quality with his performance. I am obviously happy."

Last updated Mon 26 Dec 2016 

http://www.itv.com/n...khitaryan-goal/                 

• MosJan likes this

#16 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/football/watch-cares-if-hes-offside-manchester-uniteds-mkhitaryan-scores-outrageous-back-heel-goal

#17 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

:ap:

#18 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:01 AM

Express, UK
Dec 27 2016

Manchester United star Henrikh Mkhitaryan subject of Armenia controversy: People fuming MANCHESTER UNITED star Henrikh Mkhitaryan is the subject of controversy back in his homeland of Armenia.

Mkhitaryan scored in his third successive game in Manchester United's 3-1 win over Sunderland

The winger, who arrived from Borussia Dortmund for £27million in the summer, initially struggled to adjust to life in the Premier League.

However, it now finally looks as he is fully settled at Old Trafford.

But despite his recent form - and the fact that he was named the country's footballer of the year for the seventh year in a row earlier this season - Mkhitaryan has been overlooked from Armenia's list of top 10 sporting personalities.

Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-747599.jpg

Henrikh Mkhitaryan celebrates scoring for Manchester United against Sunderland

Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-769262.jpg

Henrikh Mkhitaryan is looking at home at Manchester United  

And it is a decision that has caused outrage back in his homeland. 

Ruben Hayrapetyan, president of the Armenian FA, has slammed the decision in a statement - labelling it "immoral." 

"We can't deny Mkhitaryan's contribution and achievements in this sport and everyone knows about it, even those who tried to compose tales about how they chose the top athletes of the year," he said. 

Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-769263.jpg

Henrikh Mkhitaryan arrived from Borussia Dortmund in the summer  

"It's immoral that the overwhelming majority of sport journalists, who have taken part in the same voting, start their professional business with news about Henrikh Mkhitaryan and end it again with Henrikh Mkhitaryan every single day."

Mkhitaryan has recently returned from an ankle injury. 

And the 27-year-old is expected to start in the league for just the fourth time this season against Middlesbrough on New Year's Eve. 

http://www.express.c...ier-League-News

#19 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Henrikh Mkhitaryan credited as the key player in Manchester United’s upturn in fortunes
Henrikh-Mkhitaryan-MU-Goal-620x300.jpg

Henrikh Mkhitaryan has been credited as the key player in Manchester United’s upturn in fortunes, accoridng to Metro.

The Armenian was initially frozen out by Jose Mourinho but since being brought into the fray has excelled. It’s coincided with a run of results that sees Manchester United unbeaten in 11 Premier League games and on a nine-game winning run in all competitions.

Liverpool legend Didi Hamann believes Mkhitaryan deserves much credit.

‘Mkhitaryan has been a key man in United’s changing fortunes,’ said the German. ‘He’s played a far greater role in the league since the end of November, scoring against Sunderland and bagging the winner at home to Tottenham, and in that time United have won six and drawn two in the league. He’s been excellent playing just off Ibrahimovic and has helped shape United’s style of football.’

http://metro.co.uk/2...around-6374930/

http://www.armradio....rn-in-fortunes/

#20 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

Mkhitaryan wins Man United’s December Goal of the Month

pngmtzDzzwj3P.png

Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s remarkable scorpion kick for Manchester United against Sunderland has unsurprisingly taken a landslide victory in our latest Goal of the Month poll, according to United’s official webpage.

The instinctive, skilful finish, which sealed a 3-1 win over the Black Cats at Old Trafford on Boxing Day, claimed 79 per cent of fans’ votes on ManUtd.com, from a 10-goal shortlist.

After the game, Mkhitaryan admitted to MUTV it was “the best goal I’ve ever scored”, adding: “I was very excited. The first thing I did was look at the assistant and I saw it was not ruled offside so I just started to celebrate.

“I was expecting the ball to be in front of me and then I realised I was in front of it. As the ball was behind me, the only thing I could do was a backheel so I did that and I succeeded.”

In an unprecedented result, the playmaker also finished second and third in the voting, for his efforts against Zorya Luhansk (nine per cent) and Tottenham Hotspur (four per cent).

They were Mkhitaryan’s first three strikes in a United shirt and capped an impressive December for the Armenian, who also finished as runner-up to Zlatan Ibrahimovic for our Player of the Month award.

https://youtu.be/BylLP8P38aM

http://www.armradio....l-of-the-month/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users