443 replies to this topic

#41 SAS

SAS

-= Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:01 AM

Կռիս-ա հայերի հետ պետք է իրենց լեզվով խոսես, որ հասկանան:Թե չէ ոմանք կարծում են, թե առնետ՝ «նետը առ» է նշանակում: tongue.gif

Հ.Գ. Հիմա սպասենք, թե մեր սիրելի Արփան ինչպես է ստուգաբանելու այս մեծ պույպույ մկան անունը... Մի՞թե անգլոսաքսոնյան rat-ը մեր առնետի հարազատ եղբայրն է: Եթե նե-ն դուրս գցենք, իսկ ա-ն դնենք ռ-ից հետո, ապա առնետ-ը կծնի rat: smile.gif

Հ.Հ.Գ. Ի միջի այլոց, գերմաներեն և ռուսերեն առնետը՝ Die Ratte\ Krisa ... իգական սեռին է պատկանում: biggrin.gif

Edited by SAS, 28 April 2007 - 04:07 AM.

#42 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE(SAS @ Apr 28 2007, 10:01 AM) View Post

Կռիս-ա հայերի հետ պետք է իրենց լեզվով խոսես, որ հասկանան:Թե չէ ոմանք կարծում են, թե առնետ՝ «նետը առ» է նշանակում: tongue.gif

Հ.Գ. Հիմա սպասենք, թե մեր սիրելի Արփան ինչպես է ստուգաբանելու այս մեծ պույպույ մկան անունը... Մի՞թե անգլոսաքսոնյան rat-ը մեր առնետի հարազատ եղբայրն է: Եթե նե-ն դուրս գցենք, իսկ ա-ն դնենք ռ-ից հետո, ապա առնետ-ը կծնի rat: smile.gif

Հ.Հ.Գ. Ի միջի այլոց, գերմաներեն և ռուսերեն առնետը՝ Die Ratte\ Krisa ... իգական սեռին է պատկանում: biggrin.gif

SAS, Թէ ուզում ես Հայաստանում ԱՌՆԷՏ տեսնել, արի գնանք ՇԱՆ ՕՐԵՐ նիւթին.
I had intended to air that piece from AZG a few days ago, but...
Note that առնէտ is spelled with the Է not Ե

Edited by Arpa, 28 April 2007 - 04:46 AM.

#43 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

SAS, Դու կեղտոտ առնէտ!, tongue.gif biggrin.gif You dirty rat! biggrin.gif tongue.gif
See what a mess you got us into!
There is not much to go about ԱՌՆԷՏ except that Ajarian says it may have come to us from the Assyrian “arnata” meaning “big mouse/մեծ մուկ”. He surmises that the word may have gone through some regional vernaculars when we had the sound of the thick T/Տ as in the Arabic. On an aside, he also brings the Arabic word “arnab”, which he says means a “large mouse”, even if he also mentions that at times it may mean “rabbit/նապաստակ”, we do know that in Arabic “arnab” does mean rabbit*.
And now, you’ll be sorry you asked, here follows the քարոզիկ/ sermonette. tongue.gif tongue.gif
What? You did not know that the Armenian word for “propaganda” is քարոզչանք? (never mind the “outyoun” .
Above I said that ԱՌՆԷՏ is spelled with the է not ե.
So what! Would you say? This may not be a good model for the case. All this garbage about Soviet Orthography is not even worth a “rat’s arse/առնէտի վոր tongue.gif tongue.gif , except that we lose all connection to our native language. As I said, this case may not be a good example, but see what happened some time ago when SAS confessed that he could not find informatsia about “lavash” and “losh” simply because he was searching using “լավաշ” and “լոշ”, while he should have used “լաւաշ” and “լօշ”.
Why?
See the thread below…
http://hyeforum.com/...10722&hl=lavash
In other words. This Soviet/Schmoviet Orthography/Schmorthography remands that invaluable masterpiece, the Armatakan of Ajarian to the trash cans and rat holes of Moscow. Let that Abeghian/Kakeghian write a new and improved Armatakan.
And as to the Russian “gris”. I don’t know Russian, but it tantalizingly looks and sounds like the French word “gris” to mean grey/gorsh/mokhraguyn. The reason I say that is, in the Hanragitaran it does say that the Turkestani rat is also known as the “gorsh arnet”.
* Johannes will understand this. Some time ago, our Arabic speaking neighbors would taunt us, based on the fact that “arman” sounds like “arnab”, would recite; “Arnab, arnab. Taht el toot**, Yalli bi’awoui, yelli bi moot”..
**You will also note that the Arabic “toot” is the same as the Armenian “թութ” to mean mulberry.

Edited by Arpa, 28 April 2007 - 08:38 AM.

#44 SAS

SAS

-= Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Apr 28 2007, 01:43 PM) View Post

SAS, Դու կեղտոտ առնէտ!, tongue.gif biggrin.gif You dirty rat! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

Մի քիչ սխալվում ես, ես առնաուտ եմ, smile.gif մեր բարբառով՝ գազան-վայրենի: Թերևս վարձկան ալբանացիները(թուրքերեն՝ առնաուտ \առնավուտ ) այնքան գազանաբարո են եղել, որ հայերիս մեջ թողել են վայրենի-առնաուտ հոմանիշը:

Above I said that ԱՌՆԷՏ is spelled with the է not ե.

Եթե ինձ բացատրես, թե ինչո՞ւ առնԷտ(սեռական՝ առնէտի ոչինչ չի ասում ի տարբերություն սԷր՝ սԻրո(սեռ.) ), և ոչ թե առնԵտ, ապա խոստանում եմ օվկիանոսը կտրել ու Նյու-Յորք հասնել մի գալոն, թյո՜ւ, մի կուժ հին հայկական խմիչք՝ կոնյակ հորջորջյալ,հետս բերելով:Հովհաննեսին էլ Հալեպից կկանչենք... tongue.gif

So what! Would you say? This may not be a good model for the case. All this garbage about Soviet Orthography is not even worth a “rat’s arse/առնէտի վոր tongue.gif tongue.gif , except that we lose all connection to our native language. As I said, this case may not be a good example, but see what happened some time ago when SAS confessed that he could not find informatsia about “lavash” and “losh” simply because he was searching using “լավաշ” and “լոշ”, while he should have used “լաւաշ” and “լօշ”.

Վա՜յ, Արփա, ինձ խայտառակ արեցիր ամբողջ համացանցով մեկ: Ամոթից ականջներս կարմրել, կախվել, լոշտակ են դարձել: biggrin.gif

Հ.Գ. Ինչ վերաբերում է կռիսա-յին, ապա շատ հավանական է, որ այդ բառը ծագել է գռիզտ = կրծել բառից:

Edited by SAS, 29 April 2007 - 03:44 AM.

#45 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(SAS @ Apr 28 2007, 04:08 PM) View Post

[size=3]Վա՜յ, Արփա, ինձ խայտառակ արեցիր ամբողջ համացանցով: Ամոթից ականջներս կարմրել, կախվել, լոշտակ են դարձել: biggrin.gif

Սիրեմ քեզ SAS.
Տես թէ ինչպէս սէր/love դառնայ սիրո, ոչ սեր, այսինքն cream.
Եւ տակավին կան ներոննք որ ասեն թէ մեր նոր ուղղագրումը աստուածուտուր է

#46 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Հայ Լեզուն:

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(SAS @ Apr 28 2007, 12:38 AM) View Post

Ես ալ արևելահայերեն կը խոսիմ(=ես էլ արևելահայերեն եմ խոսում), Էլիա և միշտ հիացել եմ՝ լսելով ընտիր արևմտահայերեն:

Ինձ համար գոյություն չունի արև+ելա\արև+մտա ՀԱՅԵՐԵՆ մտացածին խնդիրը:Սիամանթոն ու Վարուժանը նույնքան հասկանալի են, որքան Տերյանն ու Չարենցը:Իմ խորին համոզմամաբ, եթե հայը ավարտել է միջնակարգ հայկական դպրոց, ապա նրա համար ևս «հասկանալիության» խնդիր գոյություն չունի:

Ինչ վերաբերում է խոսելուն, ապա դրա համար բավական է մի կես տարի ապրել Հայաստանում: smile.gif Ուրեմն... հառա՜ջ դեպի Հայաստան: biggrin.gif

Ես ալ կը համաձայնիմ որ մեր անուշ մայր լեզուն պէտք չունի զատուի տարբեր բաժիններու. ամէնքս հայեր ենք եւ հայեր կը մնա՛նք: biggrin.gif

#47 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

Please allow me to bring these quotes from other threads..
Do you guys, Gor Gor, Shahan and Elia, with your ignorance of the inricacacies of the Armenian language, are singelehandedly,with your broad and unsabsantiated assertions causing more damage to our , i.e western Armenians' cause?
It does hurt me when some of our warriors shoot from the hip, so to speak and shoot themselves in the foot, every time they make such broad statements. They lose the debate hands up, without the aid of the warriors of “eatern Armenian”. You may also notice that none of them have responded to the accusations and the assumptions, knowing full well that our western Armenian soldiers are full of hot air, to say the least. It is when our so called defenders write “harach and lourch/լուրչ/հարա/չհաչող not realizing that “hachogh/հաչող in fact means “barking(dog)”. The saddest is when a prestigious French-Armenian periodical transliterates ՅԱՌԱՋ as Haratch with that ubiquitous T to make sure that it sounds like the English CH and not the French SH, just like "champagne" is pronounced as "shampeyn". When will our crack intellectuals learn that the Mesropian ՅԱՌԱՋ is meant to sound like HARAJ, not HARACH..
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haratch
The Յ is there to protect the word ԱՌԱՋ just like it is there to de-protect Aghtamar/Աղթամար which originally meant to be Haghtamar/ՅԱՂԹԱՄԱՐ/ՅԱՂԹ եւ ԱՄԱՐ/ԱՄՈՒՐ, Victorious/Triumphant and Firm.
Coming back. Dear Elia, you accused me for being an unabashed proponent and a product of the so called Eastern school. I have been brought up and still are in the so called western culture, but I am a “student” of Mashtots, and know a few more languages that have a direct and indirect effect. And if you and others have not gathered so much to see that I am a product of the so called western culture. Shame on you.
As a rule, if you knew enough Armenian and its connection with our neighboring languages you would know that tհe correct transliteration of you nickname would be Ելիա/Ե/ղիա , not Էլիա since it comes to us from the Aramaic Elias, where the E is the same as the Greek Epsilon, the Mashtotsian Ե, not Է. Your teachers, whoever hey may be , seems to know beans about the structure of the Armenian language, just like that so called “armenologist" from Istanbul that claims we have three K’s, Գ Կ and Ք and three T’s Դ, Տ and Թ. And so on. Is it any different fro those so called teachers of Armenian in Glendale who still insist that Mesrop invented the AYP PEN QIM TA/ԱՅՓ ՓԵՆ ՔԻՄ ԹԱ and not ԱՅԲ ԲԵՆ ԳԻՄ ԴԱ, AYB BEN GIM DA, to coincide with Alpha Beta, Gamma and Delta. Not Alfa Peta Kama and Telta.
Elia
Thank you for stating this clearly to Arpa, but he still won't listen, because his arrogance of the Eastern dialect is blocking his judgement. Arpa, please understand that the two dialects (Eastern and Western) are both equally different from the "Mashtots dialect". Considering the Armenian language as two halves of the same whole isn't separating us apart, but your supremacy of one dialect is.

Are you sure that it is not separating us apart?

Shahan
Classical Armenian (from time of Mashdots) phonology DOES NOT EQUAL to Eastern Armenian phonology!!!

Why can't you understand this?
I have lost my audio -video CD about how Mesrop spoke. Can you furnish us with that audio to show us how Khorenatsi, Narekatsi and Shnorhali spoke?

Shahan

Cool! Here's a an example of a famous saying in Dikranagerd Western Armenian dialect:
«Էշն ի՞նչ գինէ նուշն ինչ է. կ'երդայ կ'ուտէ փուշը»:

If you knew enough genuine poetic Armenian you would also know that the above quote would rhyme better if said;
“Էշն ինչ գիտէ նուշը, կ’երթայ, կուտէ փուշը”
In conclusio. Why do so many of us think that Mesrop was an idiot for having devised so many variants for each and every consonants?
----
Not to forget these wise words from our own house photosphere Harut.
բոլորդ էլ ծակ պրոֆեսոր եք…

don't have the time to go into any details now (not that i'm an expert on it), but for a start, there is NO vs between EA and WA..

Edited by Arpa, 05 May 2007 - 10:17 AM.

#48 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Arpa,

I will try to spell it out one more time for you:

There were no ejective sounds in Classical Armenian. Pick up ANY classical Armenian language text to see:
http://www.utexas.ed...l#Arm01_GP01_02

If there were no ejective sounds in Classical Armenian, and since there are in Eastern Armenian, then that mean that Eastern Armenian phonology is not equivalent to Classical Armenian phonology.

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 5 2007, 10:06 AM) View Post

AYP PEN QIM TA/ԱՅՓ ՓԵՆ ՔԻՄ ԹԱ

It is true that for a SUBSET of Armenian letters, Classical Armenian and Eastern Armenian are equivalent. However, for ejectives they are not!

So every time you bring up AYP PEN KIM TA, also bring up P'E (պէ) T'UN (տիւն) K'EN (կէն) TS'A (ցա) tʃʼA (ծա) in EASTERN ARMENIAN [where an apostrophe (') indicates an ejective sound] because there were no such sounds in Classical Armenian.

Now, having said this, do YOU Arpa really hear the difference between a plain voiceless bilabial plosive /p/ (պ) in Classical Armenian and an aspirated voiceless bilabial plosive /pʰ/ (փ). I certainly CANNOT, and as you say, why would Mashdots invent distinct letters for sounds that cannot be distinguished? Hence, I argue that փ did not merely represent an aspirated voiceless bilabial plosive /pʰ/, but rather a sound like /ph/ or /f/.

What are your thoughts on this?

The Western Armenian phonology evolved for a REASON. It might be that shifting /b/ (բ) from Classical Armenian to /p/ (փ) leads to a better-sounding language. But that's just to my ear...

Edited by Shahan Araradian, 05 May 2007 - 12:26 PM.

#49 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Shahan Araradian @ May 5 2007, 06:25 PM) View Post

Arpa,
=====
I will try to spell it out one more time for you:
If there were no ejective sounds in Classical Armenian, and since there are in plosive /p/ (պ) in Classical Armenian and an aspirated voiceless bilabial plosive /pʰ/ (փ). I certainly CANNOT, and as you say, why would Mashdots invent distinct
What are your thoughts on this?
====
The Western Armenian phonology evolved for a REASON. It might be that shifting /b/ (բ) from Classical Armenian to /p/ (փ) leads to a better-sounding language. But that's just to my ear...

I am so glad you brought the subject up.
We all agree that Mesrop was a consummate scientist, yet he may have been born befire the concept of diphthongs was invented. Why did he go through the pain of devising symbols for each and every sound when he could have much more easily devise a system of combining one or more letters to produce the desired sound like the Latin Չ/CH, Շ/SH, Թ/TH, Ց/TS etc.!
Why did mash tots do that?
He may have been fluent in Armenian, Greek, Assyrian etc. but he was born long before the Latin system of diphthongs like SH/Շ, CH/Չ, TH/Թ,TS/Ց …. and so on. Otherwise our Ayb Ben Gim would be much less cumbersome and be limited to 26 letters and not to 36, 38... No! How stupid of me! How can we forget YEV/ԵՒ39 letters. Why do we stop there? Why don’t we invent symbols for the Arabic sounds of Q, ‘AA and others.
Which brings us to Փ which is exactly like the Greek Փ/Phi.
Yes,, we pronounce the Greek “philosophy” as փիլիսոբանք, as, it seems at one time we did not know how to produce the sound of “F”, just as we transliterate the Arabic “fil//elephant” to ՓԻՂ.
As I see it Mesrop did not devise the Փ to sound like P but like F.
Then, you may ask why we added the letters Օ and Ֆin the year 1275 just so Hethum would know how to pronounce his daugther Fimi‘s name and how to write France/Ֆրանսա?
Coming back to 0. Why was it not enough for AU/ԱՒ=O to produce the sound , and now our brothers in Yerevan will interpret/auto as աւտո rather than auto/oto/օտո?

#50 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 5 2007, 03:40 PM) View Post

I am so glad you brought the subject up.
We all agree that Mesrop was a consummate scientist, yet he may have been born befire the concept of diphthongs was invented. Why did he go through the pain of devising symbols for each and every sound when he could have much more easily devise a system of combining one or more letters to produce the desired sound like the Latin Չ/CH, Շ/SH, Թ/TH, Ց/TS etc.!

Actually, in my opinion, it's better to have one symbol per sound, and not have diphthongs. (adding "sh", "th", etc. were all work-arounds in English, and not a very elegant solution. Check out the International Phonetic Alphabet; there's a reason that each letter has its own symbol.

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 5 2007, 03:40 PM) View Post

Which brings us to Փ which is exactly like the Greek Փ/Phi.
Yes,, we pronounce the Greek “philosophy” as փիլիսոբանք, as, it seems at one time we did not know how to produce the sound of “F”, just as we transliterate the Arabic “fil//elephant” to ՓԻՂ.
As I see it Mesrop did not devise the Փ to sound like P but like F.

Glad we are on the same page here! (And you are implicitly, therefore, corroborating that the ejective sounds in Eastern Armenian did not exist in Classical Armenian.)

Now the question is: How were the other aspirated consonants in today's Armenian (Eastern and Western) pronounced in Classical Armenian? (The full list is: փ թ ք ց ճ).

#51 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:14 PM

name='Shahan Araradian' date='May 5 2007, 08:51 PM'
=====
Glad we are on the same page here! (And you are implicitly, therefore, corroborating that the ejective sounds in Eastern Armenian did not exist in Classical Armenian.)

Now the question is: How were the other aspirated consonants in today's Armenian (Eastern and Western) pronounced in Classical Armenian? (The full list is: փ թ ք ց ճ).

We are?
Are we really?
I don’t think so.
Here we are to see how Mesrop spent his entire life trying to bring us together, In spite of the prevailing currents of Greek, Assyrian, Aramic, Hebrew and whatever the hell else, and you and your cohorts are trying your damnedest to tear us apart with eastern, western, northern, southern, Beirutsi and Yerevantsi gobbledygook.
Let me ask you one more time. When is the last time you heard how Khorenatsi, Shirakatsi, Narekatsi and Shnorhali spoke in that Classical, assuming you mean/Grabar, vernacular of yours?.

Edited by Arpa, 05 May 2007 - 03:16 PM.

#52 Shahan Araradian

Shahan Araradian

նէմէսիս

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 5 2007, 04:14 PM) View Post

We are?
Are we really?
I don’t think so.
Here we are to see how Mesrop spent his entire life trying to bring us together, In spite of the prevailing currents of Greek, Assyrian, Aramic, Hebrew and whatever the hell else, and you and your cohorts are trying your damnedest to tear us apart with eastern, western, northern, southern, Beirutsi and Yerevantsi gobbledygook.
Let me ask you one more time. When is the last time you heard how Khorenatsi, Shirakatsi, Narekatsi and Shnorhali spoke in that Classical, assuming you mean/Grabar, vernacular of yours?.

You're mixing emotions into this. This is an intellectual debate on Classical Armenian phonology. NOT on dividing or uniting Armenians.

I've already referenced a Classical Armenian language text from a reputable source, showing that ejective consonants did not exist in Classical Armenian. You YOURSELF gave your opinion that փ was really like the Greek Phi. Now that leaves the two other bilabial plosives: բ and պ. The Classical Armenian text I referenced claims բ to represent /b/ (voiced bilabial plosive) and պ to represent /p/ (plain voiceless bilabial plosive). Therefore, there is no room for a fourth bilabial plosive -- that is, an Ejective one! -- since there are only three symbols in Armenian alphabet for bilabial plosives -- բ, պ, and փ.

Therefore, Eastern Armenian phonology (which contains ejectives) does not equal Classical Armenian phonology.

Make sense?

Edited by Shahan Araradian, 05 May 2007 - 03:26 PM.

#53 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Shahan Araradian @ May 5 2007, 09:17 PM) View Post

You're mixing emotions into this. This is an intellectual debate on Classical Armenian phonology. NOT on dividing or uniting Armenians.

I've already referenced a Classical Armenian language text from a reputable source, showing that ejective consonants did not exist in Classical Armenian. You YOURSELF gave your opinion that փ was really like the Greek Phi. Now that leaves the two other bilabial plosives: բ and պ. The Classical Armenian text I referenced claims բ to represent /b/ (voiced bilabial plosive) and պ to represent /p/ (plain voiceless bilabial plosive). Therefore, there is no room for a fourth bilabial plosive -- that is, an Ejective one! -- since there are only three symbols in Armenian alphabet for bilabial plosives -- բ, պ, and փ.

Therefore, Eastern Armenian phonology (which contains ejectives) does not equal Classical Armenian phonology.

Make sense?

NO! YOU MAKE SENSE!
Aside from the gobbledigook of Classical and Assical .
Why are you still trying to draw lines between Gapan and Glendale?
If your knowledge of the Armenian language is limited to not see the connection between Aparantsi and Adanatsi... what can I say?
What the hell difference does it make how Yerevantsis and Beirutsis speak as long as they both claim to be speaking Armenian?

Edited by Arpa, 05 May 2007 - 03:41 PM.

#54 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:38 PM

I think anyone who is versed enough in Armenian phonology will obviously know this.

#55 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ May 5 2007, 09:38 PM) View Post

I think anyone who is versed enough in Armenian phonology will obviously know this.

How about Zartonk for king of armenia. king.gif(armenia with the lower case A to mean the entire world of Armenians, be they live in Armenia or Zululand.

Edited by Arpa, 05 May 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#56 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 5 2007, 08:06 AM) View Post

It is when our so called defenders write “harach and lourch/լուրչ/հարա/չհաչող not realizing that “hachogh/հաչող in fact means “barking(dog)”. The saddest is when a prestigious French-Armenian periodical transliterates ՅԱՌԱՋ as Haratch with that ubiquitous T to make sure that it sounds like the English CH and not the French SH, just like "champagne" is pronounced as "shampeyn". When will our crack intellectuals learn that the Mesropian ՅԱՌԱՋ is meant to sound like HARAJ, not HARACH..
Your teachers, whoever hey may be , seems to know beans about the structure of the Armenian language, just like that so called “armenologist" from Istanbul that claims we have three K’s, Գ Կ and Ք and three T’s Դ, Տ and Թ. And so on. Is it any different fro those so called teachers of Armenian in Glendale who still insist that Mesrop invented the AYP PEN QIM TA/ԱՅՓ ՓԵՆ ՔԻՄ ԹԱ and not ԱՅԲ ԲԵՆ ԳԻՄ ԴԱ, AYB BEN GIM DA, to coincide with Alpha Beta, Gamma and Delta. Not Alfa Peta Kama and Telta.

Aman Der Asdvadz, Arpa!!

I don't know how many times I can repeat this.

You never seem to actually want to listen -- you just keep spewing out the same things, over and over and over. WE ALL AGREE THAT WESTERN ARMENIAN HAS AN ALTERED PRONUNCIATION SYSTEM. WE ALL AGREE. WE ALL AGREE. WE ALL AGREE!

There.

WE *ALSO* ALL AGREE THAT NO ONE THINKS MESROB MASHDOTS INTENDED THE ARMENIAN ALPHABET TO SOUND LIKE "AYP PEN KIM TA." So, please -- stop repeating this! It's getting so old. WE ALL KNOW AND ACKNOWLEDGE THIS!

Now, having said that, there are 2 remaining issues:

1) Do Western Armenians have an obligation to change their pronunciation of the 10 consonants?

The answer to this is No. The way WA is pronounced today is a result of years, decades, centuries of evolution in the language. It was a natural progression, especially in the Western Ottoman Empire (ie, Constantinople). That today's Western Armenians are taught to pronounce their language in the way WA intellectuals of the 1800s pronounced it is not a problem. You will hate me for saying this, but this system of pronunciation is our heritage. For good or for bad, we inherited this pronunciation system.

Another issue is that even if Western Armenians decided to change the system of pronunciation, I truly believe it would be too difficult to do so. Also, this would create even more problems. The dialect itself is dying as it is -- it doesn't need any more help to die a quicker death. (Imagine, some Western Armenians speak in a certain way, others in another way -- it would create more divisions and help make the dialect even more useless.)

2) Second, Eastern Armenian's current pronunciation system is not perfect either. So, assuming Western Armenians wanted to change their pronunciation system, to what system would they change it?

---

And for the record, as a Western Armenian, I myself do hear the difference between the փ and պ, as they are pronounced in modern Eastern Armenian. After some practice and guidance from Hayastantsi friends, I have been able to pronounce the պ as well, although I can't pronounce it in quick conversation. (This applies also to the other sets of consonants as well.)

#57 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

1) Do Western Armenians have an obligation to change their pronunciation of the 10 consonants?

No. The evolution of language is inreversable. With that in mind, why are we treating this as a wrong/right issue?This shouldn't be seen survival of the fittest.

2 variations of 1 language without geographic adjectives.

#58 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ May 5 2007, 03:06 PM) View Post

No. The evolution of language is inreversable. With that in mind, why are we treating this as a wrong/right issue?This shouldn't be seen survival of the fittest.

2 variations of 1 language without geographic adjectives.

Thank you!

#59 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:18 PM

So! Why don't we all forget this qaqa about the Armenian language and rediscover our real Ottoman heritage, and resume speaking Turkish where the B/Barev is P as in Parev, and Gagik KAK-ig.
Mind you. Here we may be barking up te wrong tree, հաչում ենք մի ուրիշ ծսռի. We may off topic when we transliterate Hayastan as Հայասդան Hayasdan instead of Հայաստան/Hayastan

Edited by Arpa, 05 May 2007 - 04:28 PM.

#60 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

So, WA pronunciation was affected by Turkish. SO WHAT!

Instead of seeing it as a bad thing, why don't you see the positive side? We lived SIDE BY SIDE with the Turks for 600 years, and the most they could take away from our language was involuntarily causing a change in the pronunciation of 10 consonants and the addition of Turkish words to our slang. We do not speak Turkish today, we do not practice Islam. We speak Armenian, with some Turkish influences. SO WHAT! That influence is part of our history, it is part of what makes us Western Armenian. They tried to kill us, they tried to take away our language, they CUT OUR TONGUES for speaking our language -- but we still speak Armenian! That the Turkish influence on Western Armenian is limited to the pronunciation of some consonants is a testament to the strength and vitality of the Armenian spirit.

I don't embrace WA pronunciation BECAUSE of its Turkish influence. I embrace it DESPITE of its Turkish influence. I embrace it because it shows our history and our resilience.

So, hate me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users