44 replies to this topic

#1 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:47 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows of any open source DVD/CD burning software which is available for Windows and Linux? I need it in my progression in moving in the good side and not using any pirated programs. smile.gif

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:49 PM

I don't know about your question but I bought Nero 6 a while back. I think it's well worth the money.

#3 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 28 2005, 06:49 PM)
I don't know about your question but I bought Nero 6 a while back. I think it's well worth the money.

It's not only the money it cost, but as well the "nerdness" of using Open source. smile.gif

I have Mendrake 10.1 DVD prepared on my desk waiting to be instaled and I need to help myself for the transition so it would be cool to have something working in Windows as well, so that the transition happens as flowestly as possible before I flush windows. smile.gif

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:56 PM

Flush windows? eek.gif That's crazy talk tongue.gif I love windows! Just 2 days ago I installed apache with php 5.0 and Mysql server on windows XP laugh.gif

... and all of it literally took 10 minutes!

Edited by Sip, 28 January 2005 - 05:57 PM.

#5 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 28 2005, 06:56 PM)
Flush windows? eek.gif That's crazy talk tongue.gif  I love windows!  Just 2 days ago I installed apache with php 5.0 and Mysql server on windows XP laugh.gif

Is Apache not Unix/Linux based? huh.gif You got me wondering.

#6 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (QueBeceR @ Jan 28 2005, 05:47 PM)
I was wondering if anyone knows of any open source DVD/CD burning software which is available for Windows and Linux? I need it in my progression in moving in the good side and not using any pirated programs.  smile.gif

Domino,
I'll be quick because I have to run!
The two main open source repositories are:
http://sourceforge.net/search/
http://freshmeat.net/

Search for "cd burner!"
You should find more than one, then you should compare them or ...
Goo Luck!

#7 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Siamanto, the thing is that I know those sites, I was expecting some recommendations.

#8 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (QueBeceR @ Jan 28 2005, 05:57 PM)
Is Apache not Unix/Linux based?  huh.gif You got me wondering.

Nope ... you can also get the windows installers with precompiled Win32 binaries and it works great.

For php, their installer is not of much use. I'd recommend to just download the zip with all the win32 binaries and do a manual install (I use it as a apache module).

For mysql, you can also get windows installers with binaries already included. It comes with a great config tool that is great for basic installations.

#9 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 28 2005, 08:01 PM)
Nope ... you can also get the windows installers with precompiled Win32 binaries and it works great.

For php, their installer is not of much use. I'd recommend to just download the zip with all the win32 binaries and do a manual install (I use it as a apache module).

For mysql, you can also get windows installers with binaries already included. It comes with a great config tool that is great for basic installations.

Why have you installed them anyway, is there a plan to migrate hyeforum in your computer? biggrin.gif

#10 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 28 2005, 05:01 PM)

or you install it with iis and have it all running in one machine at the same time... asp/sqlserver, php/mysql, and oracle...

#11 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:40 PM

I setup a small mysql based forum to coordinate a few of my students that are working on the same project. I am thinking to also add CVS to do some version control but we are not there yet.

I have been fighting with the admin people there to get the firewall port opened to my server there but that's another loooooooong story cry.gif

#12 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:computers

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:19 PM

haven't tryed it myself. but i hope it helps

http://bttb.sourceforge.net/

#13 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (hytga @ Jan 28 2005, 10:19 PM)
haven't tryed it myself. but i hope it helps

http://bttb.sourceforge.net/

This software has the Windows executable and source code, but doesn't seem to have the Linux version, probably Sip will come up playing the nerd telling that if it's written in C, I could compile it is Linux, but it's a damn burning software I want to install in few seconds. smile.gif

Thanks anyway.

#14 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:00 PM

"The program analyses the files and folders in a folder you specify, and groups them in the best possible way. Most likely BTTB will find a near-perfect solution for you within one second, and a perfect one in just a couple more."

Theoretically, it can be proven that this program can't find the "perfect" solution in seconds (or hours, or days ...) laugh.gif

But I don't doubt that it can find good solutions for most practical cases quickly. By the way, it doesn't sound like this program does any actual CD burning ... I think it's more of a file selection/grouping tool to fill multiple CDs as much as possible.

#15 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 28 2005, 11:00 PM)
"The program analyses the files and folders in a folder you specify, and groups them in the best possible way. Most likely BTTB will find a near-perfect solution for you within one second, and a perfect one in just a couple more."

Theoretically, it can be proven that this program can't find the "perfect" solution in seconds (or hours, or days ...) laugh.gif

But I don't doubt that it can find good solutions for most practical cases quickly.  By the way, it doesn't sound like this program does any actual CD burning ... I think it's more of a file selection/grouping tool to fill multiple CDs as much as possible.

I don`t know, I havn`t read about it but just has gone to the download area to see if it`s on Linux and Windows.

#16 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

I read a bit. It says it can make ISOs but no mention of any actual burning ability .. I didn't see anything in the screen shots either. I got interested because that problem of splitting files in optimal way is not that easy to solve.

#17 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (QueBeceR @ Jan 28 2005, 06:29 PM)
Thanks Siamanto, the thing is that I know those sites, I was expecting some recommendations.

Domino,
Your posts and your comment about "the 'nerdness' of using Open Source" led me to think that you wanted to explore yourself!
If your goal is to simply burn CDs then Linux has a native CD burner called "cdrecord." It is very likely that Mendrake includes a GUI interface to cdrecord: Redhat9 does and very likely Fedora!
Check:
http://en.tldp.org/H...ting-HOWTO.html

If looking to experiment with a GUI for cdrecord, check:
http://nicestep.sourceforge.net/

QUOTE (QueBeceR @ Jan 28 2005, 05:55 PM)
I have Mendrake 10.1 DVD prepared on my desk waiting to be instaled and I need to help myself for the transition so it would be cool to have something working in Windows as well, so that the transition happens as flowestly as possible before I flush windows.  smile.gif

It is a good practice to opt for solutions that are OS independent, open platform and can grow gracefully. The following simple guideline should help you stay away from "dead-ends" and "closed doors!"
1- Pure Java implementation should be preferred
2- Web based presentation is preferred to desktop GUI i.e. Swing - the Java GUI - and OS native GUI. Avoid Java applets; it's a dead end technology!
3- All peripherals and devices should support TCP/IP i.e. Ethernet and/or WI-FI. Wireless G is the preferred standard!
USB should be a "last resort" choice (i.e. "un pis aller") but may be acceptable!
4- ...

When selecting an Open Source component/tool, take into consideration the following - incomplete, but simple - indicators:
1- The type of release: aplha, beta or production (The information is provided)
2- The number of developers
3- The frequency of releases and the last release date
4- How widely used they are used
5- ...
The above indicators do not necessarily accurately reflect the realities; but are helpful!

#18 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

FYI, Unix, Linux, Java, and JVM's are all written in C. smile.gif

#19 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 29 2005, 01:10 PM)
FYI, Unix, Linux, Java, and JVM's are all written in C. smile.gif

Sip,

C compilers are written in assembler, does that mean that we should be considering "end user" components/products developed and maintained in assembler? Of course not!
Maybe, I don't see your point!

The advantage of Java vs. C/C++ is not necessarily in the syntax or the semantics of the respective languages.
Java is preferred because:
1- There exists an extensive amount of Java libraries: when developers "talk" the same language, it's more likely that they will build inter-compatible systems/tools!
2- An extensive number of JSRs and standard APIs
3- It promotes object re-use without the overly complicated paradigms of C++
4- Better garbage collection and dynamic memory management. Memory leaks are the most common problem!
5- Thanks to the standard APIs and libraries, it's faster to release
6- Better portability: It does not require recompilations and/or relink
7- ....

PS.
For the record, it takes less then 10 minutes to install and run mysql and Apache HTTPD: they are part of the standard distribution and all you have to do is therm them "on!"

Edited by Siamanto, 29 January 2005 - 01:35 PM.

#20 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Siamanto @ Jan 29 2005, 01:33 PM)
Sip,

C compilers are written in assembler, does that mean that we should be considering "end user" components/products developed and maintained in assembler? Of course not!

That's not true. Even C compilers are written in C! At some point someone had to write a really basic C compiler in assembler ... sure. But then you write you fancy C compiler, compile it using the basic compiler, and then recompile yourself with yourself and Voila!

Heck even Windows is written in C. And when I say C I mean C/C++.

But as far as Java, it's a lot like Visual Basic vs C ... if you really want to be a true nerd, you'll get to use what really matters. If you just want to be a developer and release "fine" products that follow sound OO design practices, object reuse, platform independence, etc etc, you'll use Java.

When the time comes to REAL performance and real power, Java ain't got nothin on C! Especially when you are dealing with real hardware. How the heck does one read or write to a specific memory address, do memory mapped IO, or write a low level driver in Java? I guess the answer is using libraries written in C or assembly biggrin.gif

I definitely think Java is headed towards being a fancy version of what Visual Basic was. What I can't stand is how they are teaching it now as the standard language to COMPUTER ENGINEERING studnets!!!! These poor kids show up and have no idea how to hack a linux kernel, write low level driver code, mess with memory managers, or even do basic sockets in C!

"Automatic garbage collection?" Who the heck needs automatic garbage collection when you're writing code for an mp3 player, cel phone, or in the main controller of a car engine? tongue.gif Though I understand wanting to teach Java to more "software engineering" type students ... but for God's sake, NOT to hard core hardware and embedded systems guys!

[/rant off]

Edited by Sip, 29 January 2005 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users