ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE(Sip @ Jul 4 2007, 07:26 PM)
I am perfectly happy being known as a num ... hmmm ... nevermind. I guess I already said that. Holy old topic Batman!!!

Sorry I wasn't around then, just wanted to open it again. smile.gif

#22 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

I guess it's up to the woman,she sould have control over her own name...that being said,I don't understand why a woman would want a different last name then her children,which is what I've seen with woman not changing their names after they marry...now that I don't get.
  • onjig likes this

#23 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:11 AM

Maral, I agree with you.

In this case I know that I'll follow my mom's footsteps. When she married she knew she wanted to create a great family. So, she changed her last name to my dad's. We all have the same last name. She thought and still thinks that all family members should have the same last name. And she could've been picky and not changed, as she was already famous in our city by her paternal last name as an outstanding pedagogue. And her own mom hadn't changed her last name. But my mom did. And I think I will too.
  • onjig likes this

#24 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

I know of several Barsgahye women who didnt' change their last name after they married...any reason for this?

#25 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(Maral @ Jul 6 2007, 07:59 AM)
I know of several Barsgahye women who didnt' change their last name after they married...any reason for this?

most hayastantsis don't... at least in armenia...

#26 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

why?is it a statement they are making?is it something the government wants?I don't get it

Edited by Maral, 06 July 2007 - 10:03 AM.

#27 Ariane

Ariane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 10:09 AM

I've been married to non-armenian man, at this time, the reason why I wanted to keep my father's name, is my pride, my identity, it shows everyone I'm armenian !!!

#28 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

Ariane, how about your children? Whose last name do they have?

Edited by anoushik, 06 July 2007 - 12:05 PM.

#29 Ariane

Ariane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

they just have their father's name ! I've asked to their father if he was ok for them to have my name after his, he said NO !!! I was OK, cause after all he's the father, even if I think it's really MACHO !!!
BUT, now it's possible, if they want, one day, for them to have my name after the one they have, they know I would like it, but the girls will loose it when they'll marry ! SO SAD !!!
I've given them an armenian first name in third position, so they have something... so little it is...

• onjig likes this

#30 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

But Ariane, why does it bother you that they have their father's last name? Surely you knew that your children would be half-Armenian when you married your husband? I don't think it's macho for him to insist that they have their his last name. Someone's got to give. If they had yours then he'd complain. And like someone mentioned, we can't just give our children two last names, because it'll just add to many last names in the future generations. Kind of like in Latin American countries. I actually liked the idea of the LA mayor Villaraigosa's, adding his last name (Villar) to his wife's (Araigosa). They're divorcing now though.

#31 SevanAcher

SevanAcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(anoushik @ Jul 6 2007, 04:14 PM)
But Ariane, why does it bother you that they have their father's last name? Surely you knew that your children would be half-Armenian when you married your husband? I don't think it's macho for him to insist that they have their his last name. Someone's got to give. If they had yours then he'd complain. And like someone mentioned, we can't just give our children two last names, because it'll just add to many last names in the future generations. Kind of like in Latin American countries. I actually liked the idea of the LA mayor Villaraigosa's, adding his last name (Villar) to his wife's (Araigosa). They're divorcing now though.

A bit of a waste of creativity there on his part.

In any case, my mom never had to face this dilemma; she had the same last name as my dad smile.gif

#32 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE(Maral @ Jul 6 2007, 09:01 AM)
why?is it a statement they are making?is it something the government wants?I don't get it

i doubt it's an act of making a statement or intentional discouragement on the government's end... i think people are just not accustomed to it... plus, the regular bureaucratic hindrances in armenia make it even less desired endevor... for example, a lot of people are majorly annoyed to apply for a passport to begin with, let alone go back to the system for the second time to change their name in it...

Edited by Harut, 07 July 2007 - 04:09 AM.

#33 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE(SevanAcher @ Jul 6 2007, 07:02 PM)
In any case, my mom never had to face this dilemma; she had the same last name as my dad smile.gif

you're kidding!
I thought my parents were the only ones smile.gif

#34 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(Maral @ Jul 7 2007, 02:51 PM)
you're kidding!
I thought my parents were the only ones smile.gif

No, Maral. No kidding. As Armenians have such a limited scope of surnames, many do marry those with the same. I know of many. No. Not me.
As to maintaining maiden names. The world is so complicated now. This is a new era. It is not te time when a girl would sit in her father's house, weaving carpets and singing (qarsun taris shut antsav) "Akh taneyin, taneyin. Hor@s tunen haneyin". There are many reasons why today many womn maintain their birth surnames. Many are bureaucratic, but more so professionaL and academic. A lot of women have millions of diplomas, licenses and certificates issued in their paternal surnames that it would be a nightmare to amend tem all. A good example would be my daughter in law who has millions of documents in her maiden name.
Just imagine the bureaucratic nightmare when one decides to change their surname of Chirkinian(ugly) to Geghademian (beautiful).
Ուրեմն ինչպէս նէրկայացնել մե րնորապսակ ամոլնէրը.
Տէր եւ Տիկին Արա Արարատեան եւ Արփի Արփիարեան?

Edited by Arpa, 07 July 2007 - 09:37 AM.

• onjig likes this

#35 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(SevanAcher @ Jul 6 2007, 05:02 PM)

my parents too!!!
  • onjig likes this

#36 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

I now find out that even though I have been divorced for many years, credit agencies have me listed not under my surname but hers. So, it is not she who has assumed my surname - but me who has assumed hers.........and we are not even married anymore. Her feminist friends must be VERY pleased.

QUOTE(Harut @ May 12 2002, 11:14 PM)
Sip, Thoth, try to explain that to Hagarag who puts too much attention on "family values", last name.

and he is the liberal one.

• onjig likes this

#37 Ariane

Ariane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(anoushik @ Jul 7 2007, 01:14 AM)

No Anoushig, it doesn't bother me if they have their father's name, I have my father's name, it's normal ! But I wanted them to have both names, for to have an armenian name too, that's all !
Here in France, kids can have the 2 names, and when they marry they can choose the one they want, or only have their husband's or wife's name.
I'm not sad for that, I just think it's a bit MACHO to refuse the kids to have their mother's name, do u understand wot I mean ?

#38 karnoug

karnoug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

Just as a background, throughout history women have taken on the man's last name after marriage because women were viewed as "property", hence when they married they became the husband's property and took their name.

Now, that being said, here's my view on this whole thing. It would be nice for the entire family to have the same last name to have an identifying factor for the whole. And it's a choice of which partner wants to change the last name. I think for women it is much easier to change their last name if they get married at a young age. However, if a woman is getting married later on in life, after working hard to establish herself, economically, socially, and both in her carreer and education, it will be difficult to change her name.

#39 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:10 PM

If the woman keeps her maiden name, it makes for the transation back to single life after the divorce much easier. wink.gif

#40 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

lol.gif No disrespect intended to those that have gone through the painful process of divorce. But still, that was funny as hell. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users