• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beauty

beauty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:13 AM

I just thought how said that those of us who grew up in Armenia basically grew up in the world which does not exist anymore, it is like we spent our childhood in an imaginary world. Going back to Armenia will not give us any satisfaction as we won't see any of the things we were surronded by as kids. Everything has dramatically changed; food, buildings, culture, habits, even language (no more mixture of Armenian and Russian), evrything we once had is gone forever, it is like our memories are coming from nowewere. Look for example at your fellow Americans, since childhood they have been eating the same brands of foods, speaking and listening the same language, seeing the same buildings, playing the same games, watching the same movies... They don't have to miss ther childhood, it is still there, anytime they can return to thier hometowns and see that everything is pretty much the same. No reson for sadness. And we Armenians are destined to long for our lost world of childhood...

#2 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:34 PM

even though i share your pain, i don't agree with your comment about the americans...

also wanted to point out that this is even wrose with armenians who have been living in diaspora for generations... some (if not most) of them think of armenia as it was 100 years ago...

#3 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE(beauty @ Jul 26 2006, 01:13 AM) View Post
I just thought how said that those of us who grew up in Armenia basically grew up in the world which does not exist anymore, it is like we spent our childhood in an imaginary world. Going back to Armenia will not give us any satisfaction as we won't see any of the things we were surronded by as kids. Everything has dramatically changed; food, buildings, culture, habits, even language (no more mixture of Armenian and Russian), evrything we once had is gone forever, it is like our memories are coming from nowewere. Look for example at your fellow Americans, since childhood they have been eating the same brands of foods, speaking and listening the same language, seeing the same buildings, playing the same games, watching the same movies... They don't have to miss ther childhood, it is still there, anytime they can return to thier hometowns and see that everything is pretty much the same. No reson for sadness. And we Armenians are destined to long for our lost world of childhood...

Childhood...We loose it ...Be it here or in Armenia..its always in memories and by the time bad ones are fading, and we only remember the good of it...But it happens with everyone. My mom always wanted to escape passing the "Amiryan" street, its where she grew up, and she went to shcool named after "Charenc"..The building has not been reconstracted, but she always said
"Shata poxvel, Amiryan@ lriv urish poxoca darcel, mer mankutyunic vochinch chi mnacel..."
smile.gif
i left Yerevaan when i was 18, and i know exactly what are you saying smile.gif

Edited by Ani777, 02 August 2006 - 01:04 AM.

#4 gevo

gevo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:28 AM

When i got back form touring Armenia a year ago, this place did not feel like home anymore. I found myself thinking, perhaps life in Armenia can be good... in its own cicumstances. However, you are right, my parents expect that which they will never get from Armenia anymore, they have not been back for nearly 20 years now, and what they think and how they picture Armenia is not what i saw there. I keep telling my dad, he shouldnt go tour Armenia, because he will not like what he sees, because what he expects to see is not existent anymore.

#5 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(gevo @ Aug 9 2006, 01:28 AM) View Post
When i got back form touring Armenia a year ago, this place did not feel like home anymore. I found myself thinking, perhaps life in Armenia can be good... in its own cicumstances. However, you are right, my parents expect that which they will never get from Armenia anymore, they have not been back for nearly 20 years now, and what they think and how they picture Armenia is not what i saw there. I keep telling my dad, he shouldnt go tour Armenia, because he will not like what he sees, because what he expects to see is not existent anymore.

Maybe i couldnt express my thoughts as i wanted to...Armenia, Yerevan will always feel like home to me, regardess of how much it changed...And (its my personal opinion) your family will find something that will be dear "hogeharazat" for them in Armenia if they do visit...
Its like when you love someone you cant expect them to stay the way they were, and if they change you wouldnt love them less...
As i said its my personal opinion smile.gif

#6 gevo

gevo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(Ani777 @ Aug 9 2006, 02:34 PM) View Post
Maybe i couldnt express my thoughts as i wanted to...Armenia, Yerevan will always feel like home to me, regardess of how much it changed...And (its my personal opinion) your family will find something that will be dear "hogeharazat" for them in Armenia if they do visit...
Its like when you love someone you cant expect them to stay the way they were, and if they change you wouldnt love them less...

Makes perfect sense, but my parents will be shocked.. atleast. Like i said, I loved it, it felt like home...

#7 beauty

beauty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:03 AM

You can still love a person but not wanna be with him anymore because he has changed and became alienated. The same with Armenia we love it the way it is in our memories and it gives us pain to see how foreign it has become for us.

QUOTE(Ani777 @ Aug 9 2006, 12:34 PM) View Post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users