#1 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:57 AM

OK, let me see how to get started.
This might come across as a lame question, btw.
I have a friend due to undergo a knee surgery. This will require that he lie in bed for the next month and a half or so during recovery.
So, I was wondering what would constitute a meaningful present. I assume that a grand majority of the people who visit him will be taking chocolates and all sorts of fattening stuff, at a time when he should be avoiding putting on weight. Then there are likely going to be many guy-friends who will bring him games and such, something I don’t understand much about. I thought that something that would aid his recovery would be cool. I heard that glucosamine+chondroitin supplements are good for such recovery periods and good for the joints in general, but I haven’t been able to confirm this. (Maybe I should just ask a doctor. tongue.gif ) I suspect he isn’t allergic to shelled animals, and he can consult with his physician at any time about this supplement, which is harmless anyway. I’ll also have to make sure that his doctor wouldn’t have recommended it already. It won’t be something long-lasting for him to remember me by, but at least he might remember me everyday for a while as he took his daily intake. happy.gif
So – anyone had good experience with similar, got a story to tell?

#2 Aubépine

Aubépine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:05 AM

My mum also had a knee operation some years ago. She bought shark cartilage pills and it worked miracles for her. But it's almost impossible to find and quite expensive where I live, so she brought some back from the US.

#3 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:53 AM

The effectiveness and the claims made by proponents of both Glucosamine and Shark Cartilage are up for debate. Shark Cartilage in particular has no real peer-reviewed literature that support its use. Glucosamine however is commonly used to treat osteoarthritis and is thought to help rebuild cartilage, though some in the medical community don't believe it's effective.

What type of knee surgery is he undergoing? I've had surgery to repair torn ligaments, and I wasn't bed-ridden for that period of time (although I did sport a nice cast for 13 weeks and then went through another 8 in physiotherapy). The gluscosamine could be a nice gift, but I have a feeling you'd have to figure out whether he's the type of person that would take this kind of stuff, or if he thinks it's a quack product.

#4 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:49 AM

Thanks, both.

QUOTE(vava @ Dec 8 2006, 01:53 PM)  
The effectiveness and the claims made by proponents of both Glucosamine and Shark Cartilage are up for debate. Shark Cartilage in particular has no real peer-reviewed literature that support its use. Glucosamine however is commonly used to treat osteoarthritis and is thought to help rebuild cartilage, though some in the medical community don't believe it's effective.

What type of knee surgery is he undergoing? I've had surgery to repair torn ligaments, and I wasn't bed-ridden for that period of time (although I did sport a nice cast for 13 weeks and then went through another 8 in physiotherapy). The gluscosamine could be a nice gift, but I have a feeling you'd have to figure out whether he's the type of person that would take this kind of stuff, or if he thinks it's a quack product.

I think I'll have to give it some more thought. He's used to having me come up with unusual things, though, such as green walnut preserves, which he admitted were to die for. smile.gif Anyhow... The reason why I didn't want to ask my pharmacist is because she's usually all over me each time. dry.gif

#5 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:44 AM

First of all, you should be sure that he/she is not diabetic, Glucosamine can have interactions and upper blood sugar level. Shark cartillage does contain glucosamine and chondroitin as well as calcium, so its active compounds have been studied. Generally in studies pure compounds are used, those suspected to be the active compounds, this is why there is no literature on Shark catillage.

If your friend is young enough, younger than 40 years old, I think there is no point in taking glucosamine for him, it will be totally worthless, unless he is taking medications known to affect bones such as prednisone. Those younger than 40 years old have enough glucosamine in their bones that it will simply be lost in the urine taking in excess, our body is already satured of glucosamine and it is one of those things which people can not have shortage of unless they take age(I don't want to go in technical as to the why, unless you want to know) if they are younger than 40. As for Chondroitin, to nearly worthless to worthless, and even for those older than 40, on paper it should work, but its mechanism of action is contradictory to the way we take the oral supplementation.

Edited by QueBeceR, 08 December 2006 - 11:45 AM.

#6 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE(Stormig @ Dec 8 2006, 10:49 AM)  
Thanks, both.
I think I'll have to give it some more thought. He's used to having me come up with unusual things, though, such as green walnut preserves, which he admitted were to die for. smile.gif Anyhow... The reason why I didn't want to ask my pharmacist is because she's usually all over me each time. dry.gif

If you really want to give him something, go for magnesium supplements, with a good form such as gluconate.

#7 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

And depending on the type of knee surgery, any of the above supplements may be of little or no use, as they would not help ligaments or tendons for example....

#8 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:48 AM

OK. What is magnesium supposed to be for. (I'll have to tell him why I brought it to him. biggrin.gif )

#9 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(Stormig @ Dec 10 2006, 05:48 AM)  
OK. What is magnesium supposed to be for. (I'll have to tell him why I brought it to him. biggrin.gif )

Enzymatic cofactor in the healing of bones, ligaments and tendons. Prostaglandins are involved too, so Fish oil supplements. You don't have to go eccentric, the simplest supplements are probably best. Best of all, would be to buy him a good book about eating healthy, there is no better way for woond healing. smile.gif

#10 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:39 AM

Cheers. smile.gif

#11 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:52 AM

Are people recovering from surgery not supposed to consume alcohol and for how long? I had been considering having him taste home-made wine (not mine smile.gif ) for a while...

#12 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(Stormig @ Dec 26 2006, 08:52 AM)  
Are people recovering from surgery not supposed to consume alcohol and for how long? I had been considering having him taste home-made wine (not mine smile.gif ) for a while...

Hard to tell, I think those sort of things should be addressed to his doctors. It also depends on the medication he takes.

#13 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

I don't think there would be anything wring with a glass of wine or two after undergoing surgery. It's always best to check though, since alcohol can cause cause excess uric acid build-up in the joints of people who are pre-disposed, or if they suffer from gout, etc. It can also have some other effects when combined with any medications taken during recovery.

#14 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE(vava @ Dec 31 2006, 12:12 AM)  
It can also have some other effects when combined with any medications taken during recovery.

Thats the main danger, after surgery doctors may prescribe potent psychotropic pain medications, and it would be better in those circumstances to avoid alcohol. But too much days have passed now, for that to be the casis. While it is true that alcohol interfere with the regulation of uric acid excretion, the main problem with alcohol in the cases of his friend, if he is taking no drugs which has interactions with alcohol, would be that alcoholic drinks contains purines (which is metabolised to Uric acid).

Edited by QueBeceR, 31 December 2006 - 12:28 PM.

#15 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:17 PM

some grapplers take Glucosamine from local GNC to help recovery and minimize likelihood of serious injury.
in my opinion, it helps recover faster but as far as preventing i'm not sure. you see, if you're taking it, and u don't get injured, then you think it's helping. if you don't take it, you think it will help.

Edited by armjan, 31 December 2006 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users