• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

News.am, Armenia
Feb 18 2019

Swiss court rejects opposition to Armenia genocide memorial
20:21, 18.02.2019

default.jpg

Switzerland’s Federal Court has rejected the opposition raised by several Genevans to a recently-unveiled monument commemorating the Armenian genocide in the city, Swissinforeported.

The decision published by the Federal Court on Monday rejected claims by residents that the monument would lead to the area becoming a site of demonstrations, or even conflict between members of the Armenian and Turkish communities.

Not only was it tricky to find an appropriate location for the genocide memorial – initially approved in 2008 – but opposition from Turkey also made the monument a diplomatic headache into which the federal government was forced to wade.

“Les Réverbères de la Mémoire” [Streetlights of memory],external link designed by French artist Melik Ohanianexternal link, is a collection of nine street lamps, each ten metres tall and featuring lamps in the form of teardrops, commemorating the 1915-1917 Armenian genocide, which is still disputed by Turkey.  The opening ceremony was attended by the Armenian Ambassador to Switzerland, Charles Aznavour.

https://news.am/eng/news/497076.html

#1762 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

Rest in Peace Dear Lady!

News.am, Armenia

Feb 22 2019

One of last survivors of Armenian Genocide dies in Argentina
21:59, 22.02.2019

default.jpg

Lucin Beredjiklian de Khatcherian one of the last survivors of the Armenian Genocide, died on Thursday, February 21, at the age of 106, Prensa Armenia reported.

She lived in Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina practically all her life and was one of the active members of the local Armenian community.

According to the documents, Lusine Beredzhikl was born in 1909 in the city of Ayntap .

During the Genocide, their family fled to Syria. In exile, she lost her mother, as well as father.

“It is better not to remember the Genocide. I cannot sleep because of these memories, ”said Lucin Beredjiklian in an interview with Clarín in 2015.

https://news.am/eng/news/497882.html

#1763 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

Lots of Western countries are using Armenian Genocide as a stick, why not the Arabs. Go ahead and use it, there is a lot of honour in doing so NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Armenpress.am

Acknowledging the historical reality or a pressure card on Turkey?: Armenian National Committee’s reaction to reports on UAE’s recognition of Genocide

965128.jpg09:10, 22 February, 2019

YEREVAN, FEBRUARY 22, ARMENPRESS. The Armenian National Committee of Middle East is closely following the Arab media reports according to which the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is going to recognize the Armenian Genocide. The Committee views these reports in the context of regional developments.

Vera Yakubyan of the Armenian National Committee of Middle East told ARMENPRESS that such reports on recognizing the Genocide have also been circulated in case of Egypt, but with no concrete result till now.

“You know that as for Egypt there were many rumors that the parliament is going to adopt a resolution, but all these remained in the propaganda field, and no practical steps were taken. We are reacting cautiously to all reports regarding the recognition of the Armenian Genocide. It’s not ruled out that these statements are a step to exert pressure on Turkey, and we know that today certain Arab states have tense relations with Turkey”, she said, adding that the UAE is among those Arab countries which currently has a difficult process of relations with Turkey.

“It’s known that in recent years Turkey has supported the Islamists in the Arab world. And now there is a competition who will be more influential in the Arab world. And therefore the issue of the recognition of the Armenian Genocide is being raised on the background of problems with Turkey. Of course, we are following the developments, but are not so excited at the moment because maybe the relations with Turkey will normalize. You know that there are strong economic ties between some Arab countries and Turkey”, Vera Yakubyan said.

She noted that some Arab countries were among the first ones to provide shelter to many Armenians who survived the 1915 Armenian Genocide. These countries enabled Armenians to settle there, have their church, open a memorial stone and commemorate the Genocide victims. “Therefore, we can state that some Arab countries indirectly acknowledge the historical reality of 1915”, Yakubyan said.

As for the possibility of the recognition of the Armenian Genocide by the UAE, she said it will pave a way for the recognition by the remaining Arab countries.

“If they recognize, that will be an unprecedented phenomenon in the Arab world. It can have a chain reaction effect and the remaining Arab countries will also take such an action. In any case now it’s difficult to understand whether the UAE will recognize the Genocide or not”, Vera Yakubyan noted.

According to the Arab media reports, the UAE may recognize the Armenian Genocide committed by the Ottoman Empire in 1915, which will further increase the tension between Abu Dhabi and Ankara. The media outlets report that the UAE’s recognition of the Armenian Genocide may be announced on April 24.

Interview by Anna Gziryan

Edited and translated by Aneta Harutyunyan

https://armenpress.a...2SUYy5D1l9YvKq0

#1764 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

PRESS RELEASE
Association for the Research and the Archiving of Armenian Memory (ARAM)
8, bis Place Pelabon 13013 - Marseille FRANCE

Tel: +33 4 91 06 57 36

E-mail: varzoumanian@gmail.com
Web: https://webaram.com/en/

Call to people of Armenian descent to help collect and digitize 1915 (or 1895) Armenian survivors' written testimonies

The Association for the Research and the Archiving of Armenian Memory (ARAM) is an association based in France whose aim is to gather and archive documents about the life of Armenian communities in the diaspora (see webaram.com/en/). 
The ARAM association has initiated a program to collect written testimonies on 1915 (or 1895) and on the exodus of the Armenian communities to France, Lebanon and the United States (but also Egypt, Bulgaria, Syria...)
We are earnestly requesting you to contact us if you happen to possess a manuscript written by a 1915 (or 1895) survivor.
We fully understand that these testimonies are very dear to Armenian families and we propose to keep a digital copy only.
These testimonies are an integral part of the Armenian diaspora’s cultural heritage and we would like to digitize them in order to make them available to the general public as well as historians.
These key documents for historians will be archived at the ARAM association’s digital library.
Please, get in touch with us to know more about this digitization program here : 
https://webaram.com/en/contact-us

ԿՈՉ 1915-ի  (կամ 1895-ի) վերապրողներու կողմէ շարադրուած գրաւոր վկայութիւններ հաւաքելու նպատակով:

ԱՐԱՄ Միութիւնը Ֆրանսահայ ոչ-շահաբեր միութիւն մըն է որուն նպատակը պահպանել է սփիւրքահայերու ապրած կեանքին յիշողութիւնը (տես՝ https://webaram.com/hy/):
ԱՐԱՄ Միութիւնը կը փափաքի վկայութիւններ քաղել 1915-ի (կամ 1895-ի) պատահաներուն եւ հայ վերապրողներու գաղթին մասին դէպի Ֆրանսա, Լիբանան եւ Միացեալ Նահանգներ:
Կոչ կ'ուղղենք ընտանիքներուն որպէսզի 1915-ի 
(կամ 1895-ի) վերապրողներու կողմէ գրուած հին վկայութիւնները տրամադրելի դարձնեն ԱՐԱՄ Միութեան գործակիցներուն:
Այս վկայութիւնները կարեւոր են Հայերու ցեղասպանութեան յիշողութիւնը պահպանելու համար եւ մաս կը կազմեն սփիւռքահայերու մշակութային ժառանգութեան:
ԱՐԱՄ  Միութիւնը գիտակից է որ այս վկայութիւնները արժէքաւոր են ընտանիքներուն համար։ Ուստի կ՛առաջարկենք պարզապէս թուային պատճէն մը կատարել միութեան արխիւներուն համար:
ԱՐԱՄ  Միութեան նպատակը այս վկայութիւններուն տարածումը եւ գիտութիւնը ապահովել է,  թուայնացումի միջոցաւ թարգմանութիւններ եւ հրատարակութիւններ պատրաստելով:
Յաւելեալ տեղեկութիւններու համար մեզի հետ կապ պահեցէք ՝
https://webaram.com/hy/

#1765 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

PanArmenian, Armenia
Feb 23 2019

Serj Tankian has an artful message to Kiwis on Armenian Genocide
265791.jpg
February 23, 2019 - 11:28 AMT

PanARMENIAN.Net - Serj Tankian is a rock star, activist, artist and a master of turning his own stream of consciousness into profound political messages, Newshub says.

He's best known as the lead singer of legendary metal band System of a Down - a musical outfit whose deft fluctuation between haunting melodies and jovial cacophony has been selling out shows internationally for over two decades.

Today however, he's a salt-of-the-earth artist, showing his latest exhibition Teetering On The Edge at The Vivian gallery in Matakana, not far from where he lives with his family.

"I was an activist before becoming a musician, before becoming a composer," he says.

"So for me, one of the most amazing vehicles of the arts, is to be able to bring that truth out about things, and also spread awareness."

Throughout his various art forms over the years, there's a persistent focus on the Armenian genocide that began on April 24, 1915, the day before the Anzacs landed at Galipoli.

Tankian's grandparents were survivors of the atrocities that saw a campaign of mass killings conducted against 1.5 million Armenian subjects of the Ottoman Empire. It's become a theme that informs and influences much of his work.

"For me, the issue of the genocide is important, because as a young Armenian-American in the US, it was my awakening as an activist.

"It made me feel like 'if there's this issue that's pending, that's being used as political capital in well-known democracies, then how many issues are there that are being swept under the carpet because of economic or political reasons?'".

A Hitler quote punctuated by a blood spatter, a violin stabbed with its own bow - just two of Tankian's visceral commentaries on the dark side of humanity, each set to spine-tingling musical compositions by the artist.

It's a stark juxtaposition, viewing these confronting works in the serenity of the Matakana countryside, but it makes perfect sense considering how Tankian feels about Aotearoa.

"It's the best place on the planet," he says.

"The first day I was in the middle of the city in Auckland, I just felt extremely comfortable like I'd never felt anywhere else."

Despite having an "intuitive feeling of belonging" to New Zealand, our government's stance on the genocide that cut Tankian's family tree short with unspeakable cruelty poses a problem for him.

We recognise the Jewish Holocaust of WWII, as well as the genocides in Rwanda, Bosnia and East Timor, but the genocide of the Armenian people during WWI continues to go ignored.

"A lot of New Zealand soldiers during WW1 helped victims of the genocide, helped refugees, it's in our archives in New Zealand," Tankian says.

"I think it's important that New Zealand act with courage.

"Just say: 'This is the truth of history, the majority of nations around the world have recognised the Armenian genocide, the Vatican has, Germany has.'

"I don't think that we should deal with anyone's threats.

"We should look at history with courage and honesty and deal with it accordingly."

Serj Tankian's Teetering On The Edge is showing at The Vivian gallery in Matakana until March 17.

http://www.panarmeni...menian_Genocide

• MosJan likes this

#1766 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

News.am, Armenia
Feb 27 2019

Armenian Genocide commemoration to take place at Times Square in New York
20:10, 27.02.2019

default.jpg

A culturally unique performance will be presented by popular Armenian Diasporan singer Elie Berberian as the 104th commemoration of the Armenian Genocide is memorialized in the heart of New York City on Sunday, April 28, 2019 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m, Massis Post reported.

The program, which will take place in Times Square, will feature prominent politicians who tirelessly advocate for genocide commemoration while championing the Republic of Armenia, in addition to human rights activists, academics and artists.

During his tribute, Berberian will sing the infamous Charles Aznavour song “Ils Sont Tombes” (They Fell), to pay homage to the memory of the martyrs, as well as the late singer who passed away late last year.

“Aznavour is the biggest legend in the history of Armenian artists and I want his words about the genocide and his memory to project from the center of the world, in New York’s Times Square,” said Berberian.

The historical event will also feature the poetry of the renowned Hovhannes Shiraz, “Intz Guh Moranam” (I Forget Myself) set to music by Majag Toshikian. Berberian seeks to “immortalize Shiraz’s divine words.”

The third song, “Hayer Miatzek” (Armenians Unite), by Gusan Haykazun, “is a diasporan message to send to all Armenians to remain a united front” according to Berberian. He cites the message of peace and love in the song.

“Even though many years have passed since the Armenian Genocide, it does not stop me from remembering it and instead it gives me more drive,” said Berberian. “We are paying tribute to the ultimate cause that concerns every Armenian in his or her heart.”

https://news.am/eng/news/498618.html

#1767 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:57 AM

Lifesite
Feb 28, 2019

A century later, 1.5 million murdered Armenian Christians still haunt modern Turkey

Jonathon van Maren

Feb. 28, 2019 (The Bridgehead) - The January sun was shining on Istanbul’s Sultanahmet Square as I walked by small piles of scrabbling pigeons, passed the gleaming white Obelisk of Theodosius, and headed through the metal detector that guards the door of the Turkish-Islamic Arts Museum. It is a long building of rose-colored brick and stone, fronted by a row of high arched doorways lined with black bars and clusters of green bushes and the occasional palm tree. It is built on the remains of the ancient Roman hippodrome, restored centuries later by Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent as a gift to his grand vizier and childhood friend, Pargali Ibrahim Pasha. The vizier, unfortunately, was strangled in 1536 when the sultan’s wife decided his influence posed too much of a threat to her own and persuaded her husband to have him killed.

But it was not this morbid history that I came here to explore. I have been researching the Armenian Genocide for some time, and I was searching for the one building in Istanbul that each historical account pinpoints as hosting the first Armenian intellectuals arrested on Red Sunday, the day now recognized as the opening act of the genocide that would consume 1.5 million souls: 90% of Turkey’s Armenian population. It began on April 24, 1915 when Minister of the Interior Talaat Pasha gave the fateful order and hundreds of Armenians were hunted down throughout the city. It was intended as a “decapitation strike” to devastate the Armenian leadership with a single blow.

Beginning at 8 pm. and stretching through to the wee morning hours of April 25, Constantinople’s Armenian clergymen, doctors, journalists, lawyers, teachers, and politicians were jerked from their beds, dragged from their homes, and locked up in Istanbul’s infamous Central Prison. It took days for me to locate where, exactly, the Central Prison stands today. I finally discovered where it was in an article from 2013 in the Armenian Weekly detailing a protest in front of the Museum that included the names of lost Armenian villages, places swallowed by the bloody events that followed Red Sunday, being listed defiantly through a loudspeaker. As it turns out, the Central Prison is now known as the Turkish-Islamic Arts Museum.

There was some sort of fancy reception going on in the foyer when I entered, replete with chortling patrons stuffed into straining tuxes, solemn waiters gliding about with trays of obviously expensive tidbits, and the self-satisfied smiles of men and women who are aware that they have made it. Cameras were clicking frantically, so apparently at least some of them were important. I squeezed through the clusters of well-clad posteriors, passed through the sparsely-stocked giftshop, and headed to the enormous plaque affixed to the wall at the foot of the stairs that led to the courtyard. In tiny letters, the history of the Museum was detailed at length. There was no mention of the building ever being known as Central Prison.

I carefully combed the displays, which were set up meticulously in exhibition halls accessible by low doorways lining the long brick corridors. I tried to imagine what the view of the imprisoned Armenian intellectuals might have been as I noted the woven rugs, the beautiful pottery, the ancient illuminated Korans. One section hosts Islamic relics, and a young father was hunched next to a glass display case, pointing reverently at a tiny glass cylinder with gold engravings on either end. His little girl was staring with wide eyes: The cylinder, apparently, contains a holy hair from the beard of the Prophet Mohammed himself. Nearby was a collection of “Damascus Documents,” featuring some of the very first copies of the Koran. There was nothing, however, about the Museum ever having been a prison. Finally, I tracked down a security guard and asked her. There is nothing in the displays or on any of the plaques, I said. But is it true that the Turkish-Islamic Arts Museum used to be a prison? She looked at me quizzically, raised an eyebrow, and then nodded. “Yes. During Ottoman period.” That was as much as she would say.

Later, walking through the Blue Mosque with my wife and a tour guide, the mournful and deafening call to prayer began to sound from the minarets, reverberating through Sultanahmet Square and echoing off the brick walls of the Turkish-Islamic Arts Museum. A thought struck me, and I asked our guide how long the Blue Mosque has sent the call to prayer out over the city. Centuries, she replied. Without a break? Even during the First World War? I asked. Yes, she nodded emphatically. Even then. I listened for a moment, and the call sounded sadder still. They would have heard it, I realized. Sitting in their cells, facing death—sporadic massacres of Armenians had already been taking place and a few had been warned by sympathetic Turkish officials that this was coming—the imprisoned Armenian intellectuals would have heard the haunting call to prayer as they awaited their fate.

In that moment, they scarcely needed to be reminded to pray.

Armenia_wiki1_645_404_75.jpgThe Great War had given Turkey its founding myth—Gallipoli—but it had also provided flimsy cover for the Turkish state’s original sin: Genocide. (Photo: An Armenian woman kneels over the body of a dead child.)

The Armenians are an ancient people, with the name Armenia said to be derived from Aram, their legendary founder and the direct descendent of Hayk, who is held in Armenian tradition to be one of Noah’s great-great-grandsons. According to the ancient Armenian historian Moses of Chorene, it was Hayk who defeated the Babylonian king Bel in 2492 BC and established the Armenian nation in the Ararat region, near the famous mountain where Noah’s ark had come to rest. Armenian roots in the region southeast of the Black Sea long predate those of the Turks, originating in the 7th century BC. According to tradition, two of the twelve apostles, Thaddeus and Bartholomew, brought Christianity to the Armenians between 40 and 60 AD. The Armenians became the first nation to declare Christianity their state religion in 301 AD, the event marked by Armenian King Trdat III’s baptism by St. Gregory the Illuminator.

The Armenian Apostolic Church has existed independently of the Eastern Orthodox and Catholic Churches for over 1,500 years, and as a result has evolved into a major source of the Armenian identity. This is partially due to the fact that the Armenian church broke away from the other traditions in 451 AD over a dispute at the Council of Chalcedon, and also because of its status as a Christian “island” in a predominantly Muslim region for centuries. By the sixteenth century, the Armenians had suffered much the same fate as the rest of the Middle East and North Africa: They lived under the rule of the Muslim Ottoman Turks, largely concentrated in six vilayets or provinces.

Their status as a Christian minority made the Armenians both an object of suspicion as well as a convenient scapegoat. As tensions rose, pogroms erupted in 1890, 1893, 1895-96, and 1909. These massacres indicated that the frayed patchwork of disparate peoples living under Ottoman rule did not see themselves as united under the banner of the Empire. In their book The Thirty-Year Genocide: Turkey’s Destruction of Its Christian Minorities, 1894-1924, Benny Morris and Dror Ze’evi describe the viciousness of the massacres, quoting Armenian survivors such as Abraham Hartunian in Siverek: “The first attack was on our pastor [Mardios Bozykalian]. The blow of an axe decapitated him. His blood, spurting in all directions, spattered the walls and ceiling with red. Then I was in the midst of the butchers. One of them drew his dagger…Three blows fell on my head. My blood began to flow like a fountain…The attackers [were] sure that I was dead…Then they slaughtered the other men in the room, [and] took the prettier women with them for rape.”

I called Dr. Ronald Suny at his home in Michigan to ask him some questions about how the Armenian Genocide began. Suny’s resume is impressive: as well as being Emeritus Professor of political science and history at the University of Chicago, he is the first holder of the Alex Manoogian Chair in Modern Armenian History at the University of Michigan. His most recent book was hailed by many historians as a seminal work: “They Can Live in the Desert but Nowhere Else”: A History of the Armenian Genocide, published by Princeton University Press in 2015. I had taken the book along with me to Turkey. Suny has a personal connection to the history, as his family fled the country due to the massacres that foreshadowed the Genocide. “There were periodic massacres there by the Kurds and by the Turks,” he told me. “[My grandmother] regaled us with this tale of how her sister’s throat had been cut by Turks, left to die in a pit, and then Armenian men went down to heal her. But when they wrapped her throat, they infected it and she died. And then the family decided that they’d had enough there, and luckily for me, emigrated to the United States.”

Suny has attracted the ire of both Turkish and Armenian nationalists for his attempt to disentangle and extract the horrifying events of the Genocide from the loyalties and emotions of those who have been debating their rightful place in history for a century. To survivors—there almost none left now—and their descendants, any attempt to explain why the Turks perpetrated these atrocities or give historical context to the evil is to rationalize and perhaps even justify what took place. For many, only the wickedness of the Turks can explain the sheer savagery they unleashed on innocent men, women, and children. In some ways, these events have been elevated to the status of sacred stories. In 2015 I stumbled, completely by accident, on a beautifully sculpted memorial in Jerusalem while hunting for a place to eat. It was an enormous ornate cross of stone, mounted in a courtyard adjacent to the Saint Saviour Armenian Convent. It did not speak of the victims of the Genocide—it was dedicated, instead, “In Memory of the Armenian Martyrs of 1915.”

Prior to the massacres at the end of 19nth century, Suny told me, “Armenians in the Empire were relatively successful. Various Muslim groups competed with Armenians over land and resources, and conflicts developed. The government, instead of protecting their Armenian citizens, eventually allied themselves with the Kurds in their suppression of Armenians. Armenians began to resist this repression. They weren’t very powerful, but this brought a lot of fear on the part of the government. Eventually, the Turkish elites began to see the Armenians as a fifth column. They were foreign, even though they had lived there longer than the Turks.” The Ottomans were losing confidence in their Empire, and as the Great War bore down on them, they had already lost control of their territories in Europe and North Africa. A cabal of military officers known as the Young Turks had overthrown the Sultan and set up the Committee of Union and Progress, led after 1913 by the “Three Pashas”: Enver Pasha, Talat Pasha, and Djemal Pasha.

With a skittish nationalist government in place, anti-Armenian rhetoric and sentiment rising, and the external threat of the First World War looming, Turkey was a tinderbox ready to blow. A single match was all that was needed to ignite a genocide, and that spark came with the Battle of Sarikamish in the Caucasus, which lasted from December 22, 1914 to January 17, 1915. Russian forces nearly wiped out the Turkish army, and panicked Turkish military officials claimed that uniformed Russian Armenians had fought against them. Turkish Armenians, they insisted, could not be trusted to fight for the Ottoman Empire, and the Armenians were probably plotting to use the conflict as a cover to create their own nation-state. The leadership of the Young Turks cautiously agreed, and decided that Armenian soldiers needed to be culled from the main army, and that Armenian civilians should be deported from any area close to military fronts. By the end of March or the beginning of April 1915, writes Suny, the decision had been made to begin deportations.

The soldiers of the Ottoman Third Army were targeted first. They were systematically disarmed, transferred to labor battalions, and then taken in groups of a hundred at a time to deserted places where they were shot or bayoneted to death. The Young Turks were increasingly paranoid, and any unconfirmed rumor of misbehavior by Armenians—even when they were simply attempting to defend themselves against sporadic violence by Turks and Kurds—was taken as evidence that something had to be done about the Armenian population before Turkish territory could be considered secure. Shortly after the defeat at Sarikamish, the American consul-general George Horton reported from Izmir that “lawless Turkish bands are appearing in increasing numbers in Smyrna district and are spreading a reign of terror among Christians of all races.” Suny surmises that special agents sent out by the Young Turks may have been behind the violence.

The deportation orders and spontaneous massacres occurred almost simultaneously. In Salmas, every Christian man the Ottomans could lay hands on were tied with their heads thrust through ladder rungs. The retreating soldiers then hacked their heads from their bodies. The Ottoman statesman Resit Akif Pasa, who would later provide essential testimony on how the Armenian Genocide unfolded, noted that the “deportation order was given openly and in official fashion by the Interior Ministry, and communicated to the provinces. But after this official order was [given], the inauspicious order was circulated by the Central Committee to all parties to that the armed gangs could hastily complete their cursed task. With that, armed gangs then took over and the barbaric massacres then began to take place.” In many places, the orders were used as a justification for pogroms, the settling of scores, or blatant ethnic cleansing.

In Constantinople, rumors of the ongoing massacres trickled back to the Armenian elites. The Armenian patriarch Zaven Ter Yeghiayan began lobbying the government to protect his people, and they assured him that everything was under control even as they replaced Ottoman officials resistant to the policies of ethnic cleansing with radicals eager to begin the killing. When Henry Morgenthau, the American ambassador, attempted to protest to Talat Pasha, Talat waved him off. These actions were a military necessity, he told Morgenthau, and “our Armenian policy is absolutely fixed and nothing can change it. We will not have the Armenians anywhere in Anatolia. They can live in the desert but nowhere else.” The dye had been cast: The Armenian soldiers had been neutralized, the orders had been given, the massacres had begun, and it was time for a decapitation strike to eliminate the Armenian leadership with a single blow.

On April 24, 1915, Red Sunday, the first wave of Armenian intellectuals were arrested—up to 270 of them. Editors, physicians, clergymen, and politicians were locked up in the Central Prison and at a police station. The second wave brought the number up to between 500 and 600, and the number eventually rose to 2,345. Most of them were deported to camps surrounding Ankara and then murdered. Many of the Armenian elites were first brought by steamer across the Saray Burnu from the Central Prison to Haydarpaşa railway station, where after a ten-hour wait they were sent by train to their doom. The train station is a restaurant now, a trendy place called Mythos, and when I found it late one evening my wife and I were greeted by a mustachioed concierge and ushered to a table. We decided to leave, and walked slowly through the dark station, reflecting on how those desperate men must have felt. It was quiet and eerie, with rusty rail lines stretching off into the blackness. The station itself was shrouded in enormous plastic tarps for restoration. It looked as if it were covered in a massive body bag.

Armenawiki3_645_440_75.jpgArmenians killed during the Armenian Genocide. Wikimedia Commons

With Constantinople’s Armenian leadership incapacitated, genocide began in earnest. Three key factors, says Suny, lent itself to genocide: The desire for a strategic advantage in the war by wiping out a perceived fifth column; a sense of betrayal by the Armenians, spread by false propaganda linking them to past and future military defeats; and what he calls “emotion”—a sense of danger. The Young Turks justified their actions by claiming that killing the Armenians was a military necessity. The ensuing barbarism that would horrify even their German allies and force Talat Pasha to demand that the bloated corpses littering Anatolia be buried was simply an unfortunate case of excess and enthusiasm on the part of the killers. It was unfortunate, shrugged the Turks, but it couldn’t be helped.

The destruction of the Armenian people was savage and systematic. Muslims who were caught sheltering Armenians were told they would share in the same fate: They were shot in front of their houses, which were then burned down. One Muslim leader, Cevdet Bey, became known as “the Angel of Destruction” for the massacres that he ordered and perpetrated on the Armenians of the Eastern provinces. Witnesses reported hillsides carpeted with nude, bloody corpses, their throats weeping blood down their pale bodies. Entire villages were wiped out as Cevdet marched his men toward Bitlis. At each stop, the men were gathered and executed, the women offered as war booty to the local Kurds, and those who survived the rapes but would not convert to Islam were usually murdered.

15,000 were butchered at Bitlis, which had once been a medieval Armenian kingdom. The young men were shackled and then hung, their bodies left as a morbid meal for roving dogs. Others were murdered and then burned. In many places, Armenians were herded into barns and then burned alive, while the women were seized by force and put to work as sex slaves for the Ottoman soldiers until, Suny writes, “they contracted venereal disease and were poisoned.” Orphans who fled from the killers were hunted down like rabbits and then tossed in pits or drowned in the local rivers they had once played in. On the plains of Mus, where 141,000 Armenians had lived in 234 towns and villages, the men were almost entirely wiped out.

In some cities, the Armenians desperately tried to escape death by proving their loyalty to the Ottomans. In the Black Sea port city of Trabzon, despite their protestations of fidelity, boatloads of people were towed out to sea and sunk, drowning the shrieking cargo. The Armenian children in the city’s Red Crescent Hospital were poisoned. Dr. Mehmed Resin of Diykarbakir told his men that the “time has come to save Turkey from its national enemies, that is, the Christians. We must be clear that the states of Europe will not protest or punish us, since Germany is on our side and helps and supports us.” In fact, Germany knew what was going on and could have prevented or mitigated it, but chose not to. While German officials were angry about the killing of civilians, they agreed that the Armenians were a military threat that should be neutralized.

The hideousness of the carnage in Diykarbakir is almost unfathomable. The Armenian leaders were beaten to death, and the British vice consul, himself an Armenian, reported that, “Hagop Bozo and some of his associates were shoed and compelled to run like horses. They drove red-hot horse shoes in the breast of Mihran Bastajian and his associates. They forced some others to put their heads under big presses, and then by turning the handles they crushed their heads to pieces. Others they mutilated or pulled their nails out with pincers…Others were flayed alive.” The bishop was doused with gasoline and set alight, and the fire went out before he died. The American missionary Dr. Floyd Smith found him dying in agony in the municipal hospital. Hundreds of infants were tossed from the bridges.

Reports reaching the West provoked outrage, with the Allies releasing a document on May 24, a month after the Genocide began, excoriating the Turks for “crimes against humanity”—the first time such terminology was used. The Turks ignored both the condemnations and warnings of future reprisal. Between May and November of 1915, nearly all of the Armenians in eastern Anatolia were forcibly evicted from their homes, the men shot, and the women and children marched in convoys of murder and misery towards the southeast, heading for concentration camps in present-day Damascus and Iraq, strung along the Euphrates into the Syrian Desert. There was no doubt about what was happening for the perpetrators: officials were calling it a “cleansing” and a “purge.” In Ankara near the airport where I landed to begin my trip across Turkey, columns of Armenians were driven out of the city and hacked to death with axes.

The suffering of the women and the children is unbearable to consider. In many places, children were torn from their mothers and turned over to Turkish and Kurdish villagers for forcible adoption and conversion. Many Turks today have Armenian ancestry for this precise reason. Kidnapping and rape was ubiquitous on every single forced march—the prettier women and girls were only spared to be distributed to the villagers, and one Arab officer said that among many Kurdish soldiers involved in the sadistic sexual crimes “no man can ever think of a woman’s body except as a matter of horror instead of attraction” after the episodes of butchery they perpetrated. Commanders told their men they could do what they wished, and even children were raped and then shot if they could not march on after the abuse.

In one horrifying scene, soldiers that were assaulting women on the banks of the gorge where they had tossed the children were pulled to their deaths by women who dragged their tormenters with them over the edge. Suicide became common as the horrors mounted—in some places girls and women were stripped and crucified or vertically impaled. Many were simply abducted into the harems of the Turkish leadership, and Armenian women and children were displayed naked at slave auctions in Damascus, where sex trafficking became an important source of income for soldiers. The miserable captive widows and orphans of murdered men glutted the market to such an extent that the German consul at Mosul reported that an Armenian woman fetched no more than “5 piastres.” Some converted to Islam out of desperation, seeking any escape from the boundless cruelty of the Turkish tormenters.

Even when the convoys reached the camps the killing did not stop. One caravan went from 18,000 down to a mere 150 after a scorching 70 day march through the Syrian Desert. Pregnant women gave birth on the road and were dragged to their feet and ordered to keep marching. Conditions in the camps that awaited them were so brutal that many simply gave up and died: In one camp, heaps of kindling were splashed with kerosene and 2,000 unwanted orphans were burned to death. In another 70,000 were allegedly burned alive in a single week. People were herded into caves and fires set at the entrances so people choked to death on the smoke. The atrocities were so numerous and so soul-wrenching that the editors of Dr. Ronald Suny’s book told him to take out some of the accounts—there was simply too much evil for readers to bear. And yet, the Armenian people were forced to bear it all.

Not even the carnage of the Great War could cover up the enormity of the Turkish crimes, and the New York Times reported in August of 1915 that unfolding events were part of “a plan to exterminate the whole Armenian people.” Later that year, England, France, and Russia warned Turkey that they would hold the Ottoman government accountable for what was taking place, but nonetheless the killing continued into 1916 before it finally ceased. Over 1.5 million people had been murdered. In the post-war years that followed, Turkey’s new government was so tarnished by what had happened that they felt forced to set up military tribunals, and various leaders were charged with war crimes. Talat, Djemal, and Enver were sentenced to death in absentia. Somebody, it was agreed, would have to pay for what was done so that Turkey could move on. The Great War had given Turkey its founding myth—Gallipoli—but it had also provided flimsy cover for the Turkish state’s original sin: Genocide.

Armenian survivors tracked Talat down in Berlin and he was shot dead as he emerged from his house on March 15, 1921. His assassin, an Armenian Revolutionary Federation member named Soghomon Tehlirian, admitted to the killing, but after a brief two-day trial was found innocent by a German court on the grounds that the trauma he had experienced during the genocide had rendered him temporarily insane. Djemal was discovered by Armenian survivors in Tbilisi, Georgia the following year and similarly gunned down. Only Ismail escaped the wrath of the survivors, and died later that decade battling the Red Army somewhere in Central Asia.

Over a century later, Turkey still denies that a genocide ever took place. The orgy of torture and barbarism, they insist, was only a series of unfortunate excesses perpetrated by over-enthusiastic but patriotic Turks who were neutralizing a very real military threat. The USA has not yet officially called what happened to the Armenians a genocide, but denial of the Genocide has been formally outlawed in France, Switzerland, Greece, Cyprus, and Slovakia. Only the Turks and the government of Azerbaijan deny that a genocide took place, and Turkey banned the use of the term “Armenian Genocide” in 2017. The Kurds, on the other hand, have recognized their role in the genocide and apologized for it, giving rise to a strange alliance: As Suny told me by phone, the Kurds now say that the Turks had the Armenians for breakfast, and are having the Kurds for lunch.

Following the Russian Revolution, the First Republic of Armenia was established in 1918 as non-Russian peoples declared themselves independent, and by 1920 the fledgling yet ancient country was incorporated into the Transcaucasian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic, becoming a founding member of the Soviet Union in 1922. The modern Republic of Armenia became independent in 1991 when the USSR collapsed. For decades, survivors of the Armenian Genocide kept the stories of the horrors their people endured forefront in the collective imagination of the Armenian people. Armenia, like Israel, is in some ways a nation born out of an inferno of destruction. An enormous museum commemorating the Genocide was opened in the Armenian capital of Yerevan in 1967, and world leaders regularly visit there on the anniversary of Red Sunday to pay their respects to the dead.

In Turkey, there were attempts almost immediately following the events of 1915 to commemorate the victims. In 1919, the Istanbul Armenian Genocide memorial was erected to memorialize the victims, a heartrending sculpture of people fading into the distance with a sobbing mother and child lying prostrate with grief at the marble base. It was set up in what is now Gezi Park near Taksim Square, but when you walk the park today you will find nothing. In 1922, during the Turkish National Movement, the monument was taken apart and went mysteriously missing. My wife and I took a walk past the darkened grounds of the nearby Military Museum, the premises littered with tanks and planes and statues. It was somewhere on those grounds that the base of the monument was last seen decades ago. It is probably gone forever: Turkey still makes war on memory and history, and her leaders have forced the Turkish people to enter a new century with the shame and stain of the unacknowledged Armenian Genocide hanging like a pall over their nation’s future.

To this day, speaking of the Armenian Genocide in Turkey can have deadly consequences. On January 19, 2007, the Turkish-Armenian intellectual Hrant Dink, who had been prosecuted for “denigrating Turkishness” for speaking out about the Armenian Genocide and related issues, was shot three times in the head at point blank range as he was returning to the Agos newspaper offices where he worked. Late one evening I spent a half hour walking up and down the street where the offices once resided, searching for the spot where he fell. There is no sign of it now: It is one of the busiest streets in Istanbul, and crowds of people flooded past us as we walked. The night of his murder, people slept on the streets where Dink fell in a heartbreaking and belated attempt to defend the man who was now a corpse. Over 100,000 people attended his funeral four days later, marching through Istanbul with chants of, “We are all Armenians!” As they marched, thousands of people hung from their windows and tossed flowers onto the marchers below.

Men like Dr. Ronald Suny, whose book has now been translated into Turkish, are doggedly pursuing the truth and presenting it to those who are more than ready for reconciliation. Men like Hrant Dink were willing to die to ensure that the truth was still heard. And so memory and history become a living thing, and the souls of 1.5 million murdered Armenians still haunt the Turks a hundred years later. The dead are long gone now–but the Turks will not be at rest until they acknowledge and repent for the evil they unleashed.

Reprinted with permission from The Bridgehead.

https://www.lifesite...t-modern-turkey

#1768 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:00 AM

Fresno Bee, California
March 1 2019

A Fresno Armenian asks President Trump: When will the U.S. recognize the Genocide?

By Nazik Kotcholosian Messerlian             

March 01, 2019 06:00 AM,

Armenians and community members hold signs and flags while listening to speakers during the annual Armenian flag-raising ceremony to commemorate the victims and survivors of the Armenian Genocide. The event was held outside Fresno City Hall on April 21, 2018. CRAIG KOHLRUSS Fresno Bee file

Mr. President: With an open mind and patience, I listened to your 2019 State of the Union speech, and at first was speechless. You numerated a chain of accomplishments, among which were some firsts in decades. You presented yourself as a man of law and compassion, a man of resolve, fairness and justice.

Dare I say, I thought, there is a new messiah amongst us.

I am not a bookkeeper of socio-economic progress, but it does not take a professional to see the many inequalities, abuses and undue sufferings in our daily lives.

In the audience, during your speech, were honorees among whom were survivors of the Jewish Holocaust. As a young girl, I remember our labor camp Flaschenhals, near Stuttgart, was targeted to be relocated to a concentration camp. My impressions are still vivid. My sympathy and respect go to all of those who had perished and survived.

Hitler’s madness during World War II resulted in the loss of millions of lives. Soon after, the crime was officially recognized and condemned. Germany took responsibility of retribution. Eventually, a Jewish state and homeland was granted for the homeless people.

Only 25 years earlier, the first genocide of the century took place in historic Armenia by the Turks. Armenians were slaughtered in their own 3,000-year-old homeland. Their treasures and assets were looted. Their centuries-old historic treasures were destroyed, churches and monasteries desecrated. Geographic names were changed to Turkish. Even the biblical Mount Ararat of Noah has become Agri.

This was a calculated whitewash for the unpunished, criminal Ottoman Turks, and a coverup for present-day Turkey’s denialists. For the preoccupied world, exposed to new-tailored rewritten history, it will make way for present and future zealous tyrants, who while quoting Hitler, “Whoever remembers what happened to the Armenians?” have committed and will commit new earth-shaking crimes.

The political mechanism resembles a recycling plant, and politicians, acrobats teetering on tight ropes whose creed is “… and justice for some”, and not “… for all.”

Mr. President, you proudly talked about your heroic and resolute stance with North Korea, which according to you, has possibly changed the course of history.

Yet, Mr. President, you and your predecessors, for years have allowed Turkey to volley ridiculous threats of consequences, and flow of recycled bribed moneys. The powerful USA has been playing a shameful game. Well knowing the truth, the USA is yet, as a moral obligation, to acknowledge the 1915 Genocide. Ironically, Israel, whose people well know the pain of slaughter, but as a yo-yo friend of Turkey, is also silent.

It must be said that in question is not the validity of information, but morality, which is still to be seen.

April is a significant month for the Armenian Christians since 301 AD, in observance of Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection. It also parallels the observance of April 24, 1915, which is the inception date of the Armenian Genocide. Like Christ was crucified on the cross and later resurrected, Armenians were slaughtered by the Turks, and they too resurrected.

On April 24, 2019, genocide victims will be remembered and survivors, if any, honored, just like you honored the 81-year-old Holocaust survivor during your State of the Union speech.

Come April 24, I hope we will see a new leadership of moral civility, fearlessness, even-handedness, and just spirit from you and your administration.

Nazik Kotcholosian Messerlian of Fresno is an 85-year-old survivor of World War II and a daughter of Hovagim and Khnkuhi Kotcholosian, who were orphaned survivors of the Armenian Genocide.

https://www.fresnobe...e226836774.html

#1769 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

PanArmenian, Armenia
March 2 2019

New exhibition will recognize Armenian Genocide Day
266048.jpg
March 2, 2019 - 13:37 AMT

PanARMENIAN.Net - The Armenian Museum presents a new exhibition in the Adele & Haig Der Manuelian galleries that explores the intertwined lives of diplomat Diana Agabeg Apcar (1859–1937) and artist Berjouhi Kailian (1914–2014).

In 1919, history connected these two women in Yokohama, Japan. As refugees from the Armenian Genocide, Berj and her mother found themselves in the shadow of Diana’s sturdy branches as she helped them find their way to a new home in the United States. Berj’s creative life flourished for 95 more years because of Diana’s compassion.

The exhibition will open on April 24, 2019 in recognition of Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day.

The Armenian Museum said in a statement that it wishes to engage in meaningful dialogue around this solemn subject that permeates Armenian experience around the world.

A candlelight viewing of the galleries will be followed by a discussion of the traumatic effects of the Genocide to remember the victims, survivors, and individuals who chose to intervene.

http://www.panarmeni...an_Genocide_Day

#1770 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

PanArmenian, Armenia
March 5 2019

Armenian Genocide Oral History Collection coming to USC
266145.jpg
March 5, 2019 - 16:00 AMT

PanARMENIAN.Net - The Center for Advanced Genocide Studies and the Institute of Armenian Studies at the University of Southern California are sponsoring a noontime program on Thursday, March 5, featuring Professor Richard Hovannisian and his Armenian Genocide Oral History Collection.

During his more than fifty years of teaching at the University of California, Los Angeles, Hovannisian created a course in the 1970s on Armenian Oral History, in which he trained students to interview survivors of the Armenian Genocide.

Over the years, some 1,000 interviews have been conducted, becoming the largest collection of its kind in existence. In 2018, the Richard Hovannisian Collection was entrusted to the Shoah Foundation at USC for preservation and academic and scholarly research.

In the March 5 program, Hovannisian will discuss the origins and development of his course at UCLA, as well the uses and potential misuses of oral testimony. His former students Lorna Tourian Miller, Tamar Mashigian and Salpi Ghazarian will share their own impressions and experiences in adding to the collection.

“Preserving History: Armenian Voices from the Classroom to the Archive,” featuring Prof. Hovannisian will take place at noon on Tuesday, March 5 at USC’s Doheny Memorial Library in Los Angeles.

http://www.panarmeni...n_coming_to_USC

#1771 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:36 AM

Panorama, Armenia
March 5 2019

43.thumb.jpg
Society 16:21 05/03/2019 World
Armenian khachkar consecrated in Canterbury Cathedral’s Memorial Garden

A new Armenian  khachkar (cross stone) was consecrated in the Canterbury Cathedral’s Memorial Garden (England) on Friday March 2. The Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby presided over the ceremony,  Massis Post reports. 

The khachkar was consecrated with Muron by Bishop Hovakim Manukyan, Primate of the Armenian Church in the UK. The two-metre tall, half tonne volcanic tufa stone was brought from Armenia and sculpted in Canterbury by Brigadier John Meardon and British-Armenian Vartan Moskofian, who had conceived the idea.

The Cathedral Dean, Robert Willis, noted that the khachkar commemorates the Armenian Genocide during WWI and is dedicated to the memory of Randall Davidson, the Archbishop of Canterbury 1903-1928, who at the time publicly spoke about the suffering of the Armenians in the Ottoman Empire.

Above the cross, the letters «ՅԱ» (Armenian for 301) indicate the year of Armenia’s adoption of Christianity as state religion. At the foot of the khachkar, the inscription reads: «Ու ես կ’երթամ դէպի աղբիւրը լոյսի» (“And I go towards the source of the light”), a quote from poet Daniel Varoujan (1884-1915).  

https://www.panorama...thedral/2081648

#1772 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:37 AM

Panorama, Armenia
March 5 2019

13.thumb.jpg
Society 15:11 05/03/2019 World
Armenian Genocide survivor dies in U.S. at 104

A 104-year-old Milwaukee photographer who survived the Armenian Genocide, shot photos of President Franklin Roosevelt and saw Babe Ruth play at Yankee Stadium has died, in Wisconsin, U.S.

B. Artin Haig died Monday of natural causes at St. John's on the Lake where he lived, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

In an interview in December, Haig talked about the incredible things he did and witnessed in his eventful life. That included watching his favorite players Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth while he lived in New York.

Haig would have turned 105 in August.

He is survived by four daughters, Caroline Case, Dolores Mishelow, Raquel Gutherie and Artyn Gardner, nine grandchildren, 17 great-grandchildren and one great-great-granddaughter.

https://www.panorama...urvivor/2081561

#1773 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:58 AM

News.am, Armenia
March 9 2019

Sweden legislature deputy speaker pays tribute at Armenian Genocide Memorial in Yerevan
15:39, 09.03.2019

default.jpg

YEREVAN. – A delegation, led by second deputy speaker Lotta Johnsson Fornarve of the Riksdag (legislature) of Sweden, on Saturday paid a visit to the Armenian Genocide Memorial in Yerevan, the capital city of Armenia.

Johnsson Fornarve laid a wreath to the Armenian Genocide monument, placed flowers at its eternal flame, and paid tribute in silence to the Holy Martyrs of this tragedy, informed the news service of the National Assembly of Armenia.

Also, the guests toured the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute, and the deputy speaker of the Swedish legislature made a note in its guestbook.

Lotta Johnsson Fornarve stated that the parliament of her country has recognized Armenian Genocide, they always remember this great Armenian tragedy, respective commemoration events take place every year at their legislature, and this year also a ceremony of Armenian Genocide remembrance will be held there on April 24.

_53A9555%20copy.jpg

https://news.am/eng/news/500379.html

#1774 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:00 AM

Armenpress.am

‘Denialism is part of genocide’: Author of The Sin of the Fathers book on Turkey’s policy

967818.jpg16:20, 16 March, 2019

YEREVAN, MARCH 16, ARMENPRESS. The Sins of the Fathers book proves that the genocide of Armenians and other peoples committed by Young Turks and its denial by Turkey are almost the same criminal acts, reports Armenpress.

Siobhan Nash-Marshall, author of the book, professor at the New York Manhattanville College, introduced her book during a discussion today in the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute in Yerevan.

“This book is a philosophy and history. I think that Turkey’s denialism and the genocide are the same. I knew about the Armenian Genocide when I was a child. We need to remember it. The fact that the Genocide has been committed, is not questioned. The question is why it was committed and why it is being denied. That is what my book is about. Denialism is a part of genocide. Turks deny the Genocide, it means they continue the genocide. These are the same things. Anyone who thinks that denialism and genocide are different, he/she is mistaken”, the Professor said.

Siobhan Nash-Marshall said she wants to show why America and Europe should love and accept the truth. “Europe knew 40 years ago that a genocide could take place and did nothing, except from finding cooperation ways. Everything was left on the paper”, the author of the book said.

She noted that the Western Armenia on the map was called Western Armenia before the World War II. Siobhan Nash-Marshall said no matter how much Turkey would like to call it Eastern Anatolia, all know that it was called Armenia. “We will never question this. For me the question is why it is being denied. And it’s very difficult to answer to this question”, she said.

Touching upon the reasons of writing the book, the author said during the years of the Armenian Genocide many Americans paid millions of dollars for saving the lives of Armenians, built schools and saved children. And her ancestors have been one of those Americans. Siobhan Nash-Marshall said she comes from a family that has never forgotten the Armenian Genocide.

Siobhan Nash-Marshall also learnt speaking in Armenian, says it’s a very beautiful language.

The presentation of The Sin of the Fathers was also held in Artsakh in autumn 2018.

Edited and translated by Aneta Harutyunyan

https://armenpress.a...yId4MtQUKSVm8io

#1775 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

Public Radio of Armenia
March 18 2019

Armenian Genocide Museum to open in Buenos Aires 

2019-03-18 17:53:49

Buenos Aires has given a green light to the construction of an Armenian genocide Museum in the city, Estacao Armenia reports. 

The Buenos Aires legislature voted 54 to 2 last week to approve at second reading a bill that enables the Memory Foundation of the Armenian Genocide to build a Museum of Armenian Memory, History and Culture.

The property is located on Gurruchaga Street, very close to most of the institutions of the Armenian community that are located in the neighborhood of Palermo.

The foundation received the building for a period of 30 years with the possibility of renovation.

The establishment of the museum aims "to promote the creation of a museum that maintains the contribution of the Armenians to the social construction of Argentina. Thus, an archive of the history of the Armenian presence in Argentina will also be created.”

A library and archive of Armenian genocide is also expected to be created.

Argentina was one of the first countries to recognize the Armenian Genocide. . In September 1987, Raúl Alfonsín (president of Argentina from 1983 to 1989) described the massacre of a million and a half Armenians at the hands of the Turks between 1915 and 1923 as genocide.

Two decades later, in 2007, Argentina declared April 24 as "Day of action for tolerance and respect among peoples" in remembrance of the Armenian Genocide.

http://www.armradio.am/en/8717

#1776 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

Panorama, Armenia
March 18 2019

Memorial to victims of Armenian and Assyrian Genocides to be erected in Sweden

A monument in memory of the victims of Armenian and Assyrian Genocides by the Ottoman Empire will be erected in Vasteras city in central Sweden, Ermenihaber reported. According to the source, the suggestion submitted by the Christian-Democratic party had been continuously delayed by the local Mayor’s Office given the constitutional restrictions of Sweden prohibiting the City council’s to adopt decision on foreign policy matters.

To address the matter, the fractions at the city council have gave a press conference informing that the monument will be placed only on private property, considering the constitutional restrictions.

The local church has been among the first to respond to the initiative and suggesting its land where the monument will be erected.

https://www.panorama...emorial/2087337

#1777 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

alabama-geocide-recognition-e15530977417

Alabama Becomes 49th U.S. State to Recognize the Armenian Genocide

Alabama Governor Kay Ivey Declares the Month of April as “Genocide Awareness Month

#1778 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:12 AM

https://er.anca.org/...enian-genocide/

MOBILE, AL – Alabama officially became the 49th U.S. state to recognize the Armenian Genocide when Governor Kay Ivey issued a powerful proclamation recognizing the Ottoman Turkish Empire’s centrally-planned and executed annihilation of close to three million Armenians, Greeks, Assyrians and Syriacs from 1915-1923, according to the Armenian National Committee of America – Eastern Region (ANCA-ER).

“We welcome this proclamation by Governor Ivey, making Alabama the 49th state in the union to officially re-affirm this international crime against humanity,” said ANCA-ER Board Chairman Steve Mesrobian. “This proclamation serves as a powerful reminder that truth about genocides should never be held hostage to the denial of its perpetrators and those who continue to profit from that crime. We salute the Alabama Armenian community and our ANCA coalition partners who together stand united in our efforts to create awareness about the Armenian Genocide and prevent future such atrocities,” said Mesrobian.

While Governor Ivey’s proclamation notes that the Ottoman Turkish government’s crime “still requires justice,” it also provides a glimpse into Alabama’s active participation in the Near East Relief’s efforts during the Armenian Genocide as well as the U.S. recognition of the Armenian Genocide in 1951. The proclamation recognizes genocides that followed the Armenian Genocide as well as the act of genocide committed against Christians and Yazidis by ISIL, recognizing that proper commemoration and awareness and education about the Armenian Genocide helps ensure that similar atrocities do not occur again.

“I am so proud of the work that the ANC of Alabama and our friends in Alabama have done to obtain this official recognition of the Armenian Genocide,” said ANC of Alabama activist Jack Hagopian. “Armenians have long called Alabama home, aiding in the education and awareness of the Armenian Genocide throughout the state. It brings me great pleasure to know that our work has been successful. I know that we will continue to educate, motivate and activate our community to ensure that the cycle of genocide comes to an end.”

With the addition of Alabama as the 49th state, Mississippi remains as the last U.S. state to officially recognize the Armenian Genocide.

The full text of Gov. Ivey’s proclamation is provided below.

#####

PROCLAMATION

WHEREAS, during the Armenian Genocide from 1915-1923, one and one-half million ethnic Armenian men, women and children as well as over one million Greeks, Assyrians, Syriacs and others were massacred as part of the planned complete eradication of those indigenous communities by the Ottoman Turkish Empire during the first modern genocide that still requires justice; and

WHEREAS, Near East Relief’s efforts, with the active participation of the State of Alabama, resulted in delivering unprecedented 117 million dollars of assistance from the American people between 1915 and 1930, that directly resulted in the salvation of the Christian Armenian, Greek, and Assyrian survivors from being completely annihilated by the genocide; and

WHEREAS, Raphael Lemkin cited both the systemic destruction of the Armenians in the Ottoman Empire and the Jews, Gypsies, Poles and others by the Nazis when he coined the word Genocide in 1943; and

WHEREAS, the United States government first officially acknowledged the Armenian Genocide in 1951, in a document submitted to the International Court of Justice; and

WHEREAS, the Republic of Armenia, the Hellenic Republic, the Republic of Cyprus, and the Republic of Artsakh are now free, independent, democratic states and strategic allies of the United States of America in the region; and

WHEREAS, other cases of genocide include the killings in Cambodia in 1975, the massacres in Bosnia in 1992, the slaughter in Rwanda in 1994 and now in the 21st century, the displacements and deaths in Darfur as well as targeting of religious minorities by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in the Middle East; and

WHEREAS, the United States House of Representatives adopted H. Con. Res. 75 in 2016, declaring the atrocities perpetrated by the ISIL against Christians, Yezidis and other religious and ethnic minorities in Iraq and Syria war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide; and

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Kay Ivey, Governor of the State of Alabama, do hereby proclaim April 2019 as GENOCIDE AWARENESS MONTH.

#####

#1779 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 09:36 AM

News.am, Armenia
March 20 2019

VivaCell-MTS supports publication of two-volume Armenian Genocide book
20:32, 20.03.2019

default.jpg

The conference hall of the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute hosted a meeting with authors who have compiled important information from the pages of foreign presses and authored several books. The materials were compiled from the pages of U.S. presses published between 1890 and 1922, particularly The New York Times.

The volumes were recently released by the Mekhitarist Publishing House and are under the title “The Armenian Genocide: Prelude and Aftermath. As reported in the U.S. Press – The New York Times”. The volumes were prepared and edited by Fr. Supreme Archimandrite Ohanian of the Mekhitarist Congregation and Australian-Armenian Ara Ketibian, and the book was published with the support of VivaCell-MTS.

“Every book, photo, article and anthology collected in this museum presents the truth. Attaching importance to all this, for years, VivaCell-MTS has supported the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute and assisted in the implementation of different programs. It is very important for the atrocity against humanity to be condemned once and for all and never happen again. I say this not only as a descendant of an Armenian of Adana, but also a person who doesn’t accept hatred,” General Manager of VivaCell-MTS Ralph Yirikian said.

The book features the 1894-96 Hamidian massacres, the Adana massacre, the Armenian Genocide and the direct consequences of those massacres.

The first volume features 1,607 articles, and the second one — 1,059. This is a great achievement for all field specialists, researchers and readers at large.

The participants of the event were introduced to the authors, listened to their commentaries and received answers to their questions of interest.

https://news.am/eng/news/502398.html

• MosJan likes this

#1780 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:51 AM

Big News Network
April 3 2019

Belmont proclamation honors Armenian Genocide anniv. PanArmenian.Net 
3rd April 2019, 23:07 GMT+11

pan1554293240.jpg

PanARMENIAN.Net - Belmont Selectmen have unveiled a proclamation in honor of the 104th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide this month, Wicked Local Belmont reports.

There will be a commemoration of the Armenian Genocide at the Massachusetts State House in the House of Representatives Chamber on April 12. Belmont will be represented by Sen. William Brownsberger and State Rep. David Rogers.

Free bus transportation to the commemoration at the State House will be leaving from St. James and St. Stephen's Armenian Churches in Watertown.

Armenians throughout the world commemorate the Genocide on April 24 because on that date in 1915 a group of Armenian intellectuals was rounded up and assassinated in Constantinople by the Ottoman government. On April 24, Armenians worldwide will be commemorating the 104th anniversary of the Genocide which continued until 1923. Some three dozen countries, hundreds of local government bodies and international organizations have so far recognized the killings of 1.5 million Armenians as Genocide. Turkey denies to this day.

https://www.bignewsn...-genocide-anniv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users