14 replies to this topic

#1 Halys80

Halys80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 08:58 PM

Hello everyone,
Even though I have been following the board for some while now, I decided to register today. There have been some great topics here, and I'd like to add one of my own for discussion.

For the past few years now, I have noticed how Armenian women in general tend to be very catty, jealous, and competitive with one another---if a girl ends up with a nice guy, I have seen women very underhandedly attack her reputation, or her tactics in attracting the guy...even if they are basing it on complete gossip....or the same goes if she happens to dress nicely, or appear a little too confident/outspoken, have a good job/education--basically, if she has anything going in her favor. I have not only seen with girls doing it to other girls---but even with mothers against other girls, especially if their daughters are around the same age.

I know that as humans, we are a competitive bunch. Some of it is natural. But I haven't noticed jealousy to this degree among some of my American or odar friends. Seems like it is a pretty common phenomenon especially among Middle Eastern women---or maybe, that is just my perception.

What do you guys think the reasons are for this? Or if you disagree...

#2 shiner

shiner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 09:34 PM

Like you mentioned humans are a very competitive bunch and it's natural. But I think Armenians are a more jelous bunch than average, especially among themselves. On one hand if a famous Armenian arises we are very quick to be proud of him and claim him as our own, but on a lower scale if one Armenian is more successful than the others in a group, it is not uncommon for the others to try to knock him down out of sheer jelousy.

If you are talking about parents doing it to other children so their own children can stand out more, you are right on the money. All immigrants (including Armenians) love using their children as sheer DISPLAYS by which they gain status in their own immigrant circles. That's one reason they are so controlling over their children.

Let's say two older Armenians are talking in a park. One says "my son/daughter is a manager at a firm, the other says my son/daughter is a bigger manager at a bigger firm". The latter is considered superior than the former in the community only through the accomplishment of his kid (but note he himself has not done ANYTHING more than the other). The other does everything in his power to look down on the more successful kid so he won't feel inferior.

This does not happen nearly as much in the younger generations. The above applies more to "old world" folk. But since it is human nature nobody is completely immune to it.

I'm guessing you mention Armenian women as opposed to Armenian men, because women in general are more gossipy and hold grudges longer. Men just buy each other a beer after a fight and everything is back to normal.

#3 hunny

hunny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 08:39 AM

Yeah I’m definitely tired of Armenia :P Everyone hates everyone! They gossip about their neighbors/relatives all the time like they’ve got nothing better to do and hate those who have a bit of success! And they’re way too old fashioned and most of them have no class!
Well, also I don't mean to be mean but maybe it's the ugly "villager" girls/women who are jealous of those who work hard and have a better life while all they can do is gossip and spread rumors! :rolleyes:

#4 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:41 AM

First as a male I do not hear much of the gossips(thank God)

But I'll be honest in general I thought Armenians did not gossip much or maybe I have lived somewhat a sheltered life. They all seem to talk about "otars" as to how they raise their kids and how they never have dinner together and what not, but at least in our family I have never heard about the kind of gossip that you guys talk about.

HOWEVER. Oh my goodness can Armenian women ever not talk for 5 minutes in a row? All they do is talk all the time non stop.

#5 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 11:13 PM

This thread is definitely inspirational for Ara Baliozian. It has lot of fuel… :rolleyes:

#6 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 11:24 PM

For the past few years now, I have noticed how Armenian women in general tend to be very catty, jealous, and competitive with one another---if a girl ends up with a nice guy, I have seen women very underhandedly attack her reputation, or her tactics in attracting the guy...

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Second of all, I am going to venture out and make a guess that the reason for that is you are probably closer to more "Armenians" and that's why you notice that phenomenon more in the "Armenian" circles. Of course I could be wrong ... or it could be that the "odars" aren't as comfortable with you to discuss such things :)

But in my experience, this is a very common thing ... it gets worse with "bparabputiun". When there is not much to do, people often find ways to gossip to pass time and gossip is only fun if it is done in the forms you describe!

The other thing I would add about the mothers issue is that due to cultural reasons, Armenian parents are much more involved (in general) in their childrens' lives than for example average euro-Americans (once the kids have grown up of course). This is why the gossipping, "cattyness", etc may be more intense among Armenian mothers.

But then again, being a guy, I wouldn't know :rolleyes: :unsure: ;)

#7 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 19 October 2003 - 02:20 PM

Mrrreow - what is all this slanderous talk against cats! :P What you are talking about is not "cattyness", it is "doggyness".

#8 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 03:51 PM

Mrrreow - what is all this slanderous talk against cats! :P What you are talking about is not "cattyness", it is "doggyness".

Easy there Steve... leave Dogs alone. <_<

#9 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 03:05 AM

And obviously "foxy" isn't right, either. But anything so it doesn't turn into a dog-and-cat fight in here. :P

#10 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 21 October 2003 - 08:36 AM

woof woof

#11 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:19 AM

Meow!! Meow!!

#12 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:34 AM

Meow!! Meow!!

Pounce!!! Gobble gobble...chew, swallow, slurp, lick lips...mmmm good! LOL

#13 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:50 AM

The other day I saw someone's key chain. It was from some national park and a bear was saying, "Send more tourists!..."
Then, in another line underneath, "The last ones were delicious." LOL...

#14 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:48 PM

Easy there Steve... leave Dogs alone. <_<

What are dogs, are they those things with 4 legs, woof woofing all day long, and smelling like shit? <_<

#15 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 01:58 PM

What are dogs, are they those things with 4 legs, woof woofing all day long, and smelling like shit? <_<

And oddly enough are man's best friend. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users