yeah i think so...i've found mine :wub:

#3 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 10:41 AM

I think first of all the more important question is, is there a "soul"?

#4 shiner

shiner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:32 PM

I think the concept is very "fairy tale" like.

#5 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 05:47 PM

of course there is a soul!! humans are not a series of biochemical reactions! the soul is the energy that drives the body and gives it energy and life, and when it departs, the body dies and the soul moves on to another plane of existence...as far as soulmates...it does seem kind of 'fairy-tale'-ish! however there are many right and wrong people for everyone! we all hope to weed out the wrong ones, the ones who are not good and hopefully meet those who lift us up and...PICK ONE! :P

#6 CheekY

CheekY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:17 PM

maybe it is like a fairy tale but i think a soulmate is someone who understands you very well…you have a lot in common and you can finish each other's sentences and understand each other without even saying a word(eye contact....mind reading lol)…you know they're like a part of you that if you get rid off you will kinda feel empty inside :rolleyes:

#7 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:27 PM

of course there is a soul!! humans are not a series of biochemical reactions! the soul is the energy that drives the body and gives it energy and life, and when it departs, the body dies and the soul moves on to another plane of existence...as far as soulmates...it does seem kind of 'fairy-tale'-ish! however there are many right and wrong people for everyone! we all hope to weed out the wrong ones, the ones who are not good and hopefully meet those who lift us up and...PICK ONE! :P

There is no soul, but that does not mean that humans are only biochimical reactions, there is a lot more, but that does not necessarly means there must be a soul, neither that life is the end. Life could continue beyond what we consider our "physical" body without the need of a soul, and I can even say that the soul in itself is something that would reduce men more than any other concept.

#8 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:32 PM

I don't think there is a soul ... I think "life" is all physical, chemical, and biological and as long as blood is circulating and those neurons firing in our brain we can think and function. When all that stops, so do we and that's the end.

#9 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:43 PM

Some people have souls, some people don't (e.g. Domino and Sip ) :P :lol: :lol:

#10 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 06:59 PM

I don't think there is a soul ... I think "life" is all physical, chemical, and biological and as long as blood is circulating and those neurons firing in our brain we can think and function. When all that stops, so do we and that's the end.

Yes! You are right, but what if in another place in this Universe or another Universe, there is a Sip that will exist with very similair brain connections in the difference that that person will live longer than you? What would happen? I mean, since soul does not exist, the only things it takes to make you would be the brain connections that you have. Right? Would this Sip you are here not the other Sip on the other place?

Actually, what makes you is not only the brain connection you have, but more than that, what you are is the interpretation you have of the world you observe. The world is modified by your presence, it keeps a virtual image of you by those modifications, you are recorded in this world by this interaction... exactlly the same way that the brain record the information that few neurons that died keep in them. After a surgery of the brain, when they took out a part of it, the one having the surgery forget things storted in that area, from the interactions that the brain had with the neurons that are now lost, it slowly is able to remember most of the lost parts, not all, because there is no enought neurons to process the information that is still there in the virtual image kept.

What I am trying to say is that what you are is not only you, but as well the world in which you live in, from all the interactions you have you leave a memory of you in this world, so before saying that there is an end to life, one must try to know exactlly what is "life" what is "conscienceness" why it exist, and if it is a phenomenology of the observer more than anything else, you observe so "you are." It is a very complext thing, more when you consider like me that there is no soul, those that claims there is one, just close the topic by giving the soul the properties that can not be debated, on the other hand, when we say there is no soul, we must understand why some things exist.

I know we are changing the subject, I am doing what I accused others to do, but I am making that topic a lot more interesting. :D

#11 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:02 PM

Some people have souls, some people don't (e.g. Domino and Sip ) :P :lol: :lol:

I was sure you would come up with this. Using my own logic to attack me eh? :D

But, since matter is just an illusion, what we are is already something that we shall call soul, so my conception of the Universe does not need a soul to give us the possibility of immortality, Ouish... not immortality, but rather eternity... God promess you immortality, I give you better than that, I give you the possibility of eternity. :P

#12 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:35 PM

immortality = eternity !!!

you say matter is illusion, i do agree with you on that 100%...so, how is it that we can feel compassion, empathy, concern (at least the majority of us)...is this ALL explained mechanistically? maybe to a certain extent, like the hand that reaches out to help a friend in need by picking up the phone to see how that friend is doing, the neurons firing to command the hand to raise and certain areas of the brain get activated and the person remembers the phone number and uses hand eye coordination to dial the number!---sure, if you're going to take that approach to expalin everything, then yes! you are correct up to a certain point!---however, there is a force, a guiding drive behind ALL action...if you break everything down and try and analyze it, you won't find the answers you're looking for! life is not an engineering problem!! ---to really be enlightened one needs to look at life holistically! try to see how each piece of the puzzle fits in with the greater scheme of things and not focus on the geometry of the edges of the individual pieces themselves!-- life is a learning experience basically, a school for the soul and we are all students for life! we registered when we were conceived/born and hopefully when we graduate from this life we will have learned many valuable lessons to take with us to another level of consciousness AND we will have left behind a legacy of kindness and generosity and not one of fear, hate, and ignorance...just like humans have physical, emotional, intellectual needs (referring to Maslow's hierarchy here)...one thing he left out that is THE most important thing is a spiritual need! and i see many people who sadly go through life without knowing that they need this! (especially in this country)...it's like the anorexic who needs food, but doesn't realize this and has a distorted idea that what she(or he) needs is "the perfect body" or just to lose another 3 or 4 lbs...it is sad how so many are so disconnected from the source that can offer us infinite strength that we fail to see the existence of the inner light that truely IS who we are, for the body is just a transitory vehicle for the soul and we ARE the driver that is immortal and infinte and eternal...

#13 BitterSweet

BitterSweet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:43 PM

maybe it is like a fairy tale but i think a soulmate is someone who understands you very well…you have a lot in common and you can finish each other's sentences and understand each other without even saying a word(eye contact....mind reading lol)…you know they're like a part of you that if you get rid off you will kinda feel empty inside :rolleyes:

someone you grow with, that has known you for a long period of time can fill that void, the person doesnt have to be a single "soulmate."

example being, my best friend, have known her for 9 yrs, i love her to death, and do/feel everything u mentioned above

#14 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:46 PM

hyebruin, you are a spiritual person and a good person. I can't add anything other than that, all those things are just a question of definition, call it soul I call it no-soul(the Buddhist conception of the no-soul). You have a meaning for your life, and that is the important part in all this.

Just one note, immortality and eternity are not the same, immortality is when something has a starting point but not an end, eternity is when there is no starting point neither an end.

Oh and I'm not an Atheist, even if that was what I seemed to be, I'm agnostic, actually not really agnostic, lets say I am Domino, my new religion. ;)

#15 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 07:56 PM

Just one note, immortality and eternity are not the same, immortality is when something has a starting point but not an end, eternity is when there is no starting point neither an end.

ah ha!! but when you look at the bigger picture nothing has a starting point! everything has always been and will always be...thus my statement: immortality = eternity...(but i do see the semantics of what you're referring to)...sometimes i believe language IS a barrier for communication...reminds me of a song lyric: "i try to say 'i love you' but the words get in the way" :rolleyes:

#16 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:46 PM

Thank you Hyebruin! I enjoyed reading your posts above. Very insightful!

BTW I am also agnostic but I'm still searching for my definition of life.

#17 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:51 PM

... everything has always been and will always be...thus my statement: immortality = eternity...

I am much more practically minded. I started a few months before birth and will end at death. For me, nothing existed before I came to be and nothing will exist after death. The rest of you feel free to do whatever you want after I'm dead :)

While I'm alive, we'll obey the laws of thermodynamics and regular old physics :D

Last part was a joke ;)

#18 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:58 PM

hmm--i wish i could say i believe in sole mates--i think its like some fantasy thing implanetd in lil girls heads when theyre little--like when youre young-girls---u think that some prince charming is gonna come sweep u off ur feet and ur both gonna live happily ever after--but when u grow up and look around u begin 2 realize that everything is due to chance-i dont think i believein the sole mate shmole mate kinda things--everyones different and u can only choose who ur gonna be with--the rest is up to chance encounters--but then again u have 2 be i a really high level of spirituality 2 believe in such things assole mates-and i wouldnt know since im kinda--i have 2 see it 2 believe it kinda thing-if i cant experience it than it doesnt exist 4 me--sometimes wish i could change that--but life kinda makes me this way---

#19 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 24 November 2003 - 12:00 AM

But Sip, how can you accept that after death you won't have any consciousness? How can you be one minute and the next minute be no more? How do you make sense of it? Doesn't that thought bother you?

#20 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 12:10 AM

But Sip, how can you accept that after death you won't have any consciousness? How can you be one minute and the next minute be no more? How do you make sense of it? Doesn't that thought bother you?

I've had a couple of surgeries when I was knocked out ... nothing serious just fixing broken bones and what not ... I didn't even have dreams! I was out COLD ... so I kinda know what death must "feel" like ... and no it doesn't really bother me at all. Nothing will matter after I'm dead so why should it bother me?!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users