Photo

Death Penalty And Christianity

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think Christian religion is for death penalty?

Do you think Christian religion is for death penalty?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 31 August 2003 - 09:39 PM

What do you think of this one?

#2 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:06 PM

Looks like the 'YES' vote in the other poll was considerably 'softer' than the 'NO' side

#3 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 10:39 AM

I voted "who cares":)

Sasun, I could neither vote, yes ! Neither No! Neither I don't know. Christianity is what we do of it... so it can be yes!, no!, Don't know... so the only choice left to me would be who cares.

Edited by Fadix, 04 September 2003 - 11:15 AM.

#4 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 04:55 PM

I voted "who cares" :)

Sasun, I could neither vote, yes ! Neither No! Neither I don't know. Christianity is what we do of it... so it can be yes!, no!, Don't know... so the only choice left to me would be who cares.

That is not an unusual behavior for Domino :)

#5 onnig

onnig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:49 PM

The right answer is yes:

Genesis 9:6:

"Whoever sheds man's blood,
By man his blood shall be shed,
For in the image of God
He made man."

also,
Romans 13:3-4:

For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.

Edited by onnig, 23 August 2004 - 04:53 PM.

#6 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:43 AM

The Bible says yes I believe, there's also a passage telling that homosexuality should be punished with death as well, can't remember where exactly.

#7 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:47 AM

Whatever its opinions on mortal justice - Christianity does practice the ultimate death penalty: denial of eternal life to non-believers! cool.gif

#8 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (bellthecat @ Aug 24 2004, 09:47 AM)
Whatever its opinions on mortal justice - Christianity does practice the ultimate death penalty: denial of eternal life to non-believers! cool.gif

Fortunately that's not the truth, and unfortunately many Christians believe in that.

#9 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Aug 24 2004, 09:37 AM)
Fortunately that's not the truth, and unfortunately many Christians believe in that.

How can you know/be so sure? I find it just absurd that anyone could claim to know with such certainty. Of course I don't believe in such rubbish - yeah - eternal life - just who are they trying to fool (well everyone I guess - yeah life sucks - certainly when pleasures of the flesh are denied etc - doesn't help...but hold out for hope of paradise after death - give me a break - what a sham...) - anyway - its just such denial of life that really peeves me about Christianity (and many religions in general - though Christianity & Islam are the worst)...

Life is intimatly and inseperably concerned with the physical mainifestation of ones body here on earth. IMO any attempt to put some unprovable and very unlikely (not bearing or realting to any known reality) spiritual/astral or what have you existance - to put such before our physical and real life on earth is at best just a sham. Does this mean I am not spiritual? Totally not....I commune with nature - have great wonderment and am moved by the natural processes of the Earth - of the mystery and wonder of the stars and what might be out there and the beauty and the awe of what we can observe. Mostly though it is life here on earth - in all its forms and particualrly the closest to home - my family, my children that fills me with awe and wonderment...and this is plenty spiritual enough for me. Just because I have no need for - and can see no reason for believeing in unseen, unproven and IMO quite fanciful - with little bearing on reality - beliefs/supposed answers - that IMO fall short in nearly every possible way - does not make me any less a viable and worthwhile human then anyone else. And it is this latter assertion - which a great many "believers" seem to continually put forth - which really ticks me off (the ultimate of insults IMO)...and this certainty - in such things - unknowable - based on "faith" - I just find absurd....and I am not claiming to have any answers - and if faith and belief and such do it for (any and/or all of) you - etc - well wonderful - thats fine - I have no problem with this - and I truthfully cannot refute that you just may have had some revelation that I just have not experienced (OK - fine...)...but to put such foreward as an absolute - that applies to me as well - and that implies I am somehow a lesser human - will be denied benefit or will be punished for not adhering to such belief - well I certainly draw the line there and will shove it right back in your face...and to me this attitude of certainty in these matters - is just well - absurd..it seems so obvious to me - what can I say....(but who knows...only that I can't even begin to really imagine it to be true - as it seems contrary to reality - as I see it...what can I say...?)

Edited by THOTH, 24 August 2004 - 08:59 AM.

#10 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Aug 24 2004, 02:37 PM)

I don't know what Christianity you are talking about dry.gif - but as far as I understand it, the core of the Christian belief system is that belief in Christ opens the door to eternal life in heaven. And, conversely, the lack of that belief closes that door. I'm making it probably a bit over simplified (what about Purgatory, etc - don't think the Eastern Churches have that) but basically true, I think.

Edited by bellthecat, 24 August 2004 - 09:12 AM.

#11 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (bellthecat @ Aug 24 2004, 11:08 AM)
I don't know what Christianity you are talking about dry.gif - but as far as I understand it, the core of the Christian belief system is that belief in Christ opens the door to eternal life in heaven. And, conversely, the lack of that belief closes that door. I'm making it probably a bit over simplified (what about Purgatory, etc - don't think the Eastern Churches have that) but basically true, I think.

Jesus did not say that there is an ultimate/eternal death penalty. His message is forgiveness and love for everyone, not death penalty. To me "Christ"-ianity means what Christ has said and what logically may follow, not things that contradict to the spirit of Christ's message such as frightening visions of eternal hell.

#12 onnig

onnig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:11 AM

Bellthecat,

If God only showed His justice to everyone, then everyone would go to hell. But He chose to show mercy and you can care less for that because you think that sending anyone to hell is unjust. Christ is the only One who takes care of the sin problem, no one else does that. I've explained in my post on the thread, "Who is a Christian?", I think you read it. And since He is the only one that takes care of the sin problem, then He is the only way. Accept it or not, it's the truth.

Sasun,

Your explanation/representation of Christianity is not only false but blasphemous. To say there is no hell and then to accuse Christ of never teaching it, denies God's justice. You do not understand God's character because you have embraced a false religion. Those who love the Father love the Son also because the Son is from the Father. You should stop trying to represent Christianity and just keep to your own gods.

#13 onnig

onnig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:42 AM

Gurgen,

I think you're referring to:

Lev 18:22 'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.

and then it says

Lev 18:29 'For whoever does any of these abominations, those persons who do so shall be cut off from among their people.

but it goes further...

Deut 22:5 "A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.

and look at this...

Deut 22:22 "If a man is found lying with a married woman, then both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman; thus you shall purge the evil from Israel.

AHHH the good old days.
j/k

#14 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (onnig @ Aug 24 2004, 01:11 PM)
Sasun,

Your explanation/representation of Christianity is not only false but blasphemous. To say there is no hell and then to accuse Christ of never teaching it, denies God's justice. You do not understand God's character because you have embraced a false religion. Those who love the Father love the Son also because the Son is from the Father. You should stop trying to represent Christianity and just keep to your own gods.

Onnig, I didn't deny that hell exists. Please refrain from cheap accusations. What I deny is that Jesus taught that some souls will be sent to hell ETERNALLLY never to be forgiven. From where I stand from blasphemy is what you and others are doing, to frighten people with false ideas that God is cruel and will punish people to eternal suffering. Well, you are contradicting to Jesus!!! Now are you a Christian if you are contradicting Jesus?

#15 onnig

onnig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:04 PM

Sasun,

I'm not contradicting Jesus. Would you like for me to quote what you said?

Jesus did not say that there is an ultimate/eternal death penalty

This is NOT true.

How cheap is that accusation?

#16 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (onnig @ Aug 24 2004, 02:04 PM)
This is NOT true.

Then prove it.

#17 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:11 PM

Onnig, please also prove that Jesus is for death penalty. I have at least one unquestionable instance where he forgave the prostitute while clearly the Jewish code was for stoning her to death.

#18 onnig

onnig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:40 PM

I've have already proven it. Read my previous post. God's Word is representative of Jesus' Words. They ARE His words.

As to your example of the prostitute situation. Yes, Christ forgave her. Who is Christ, but God manifested in the flesh, who is able to forgive sin:

Luke 7:49:

Those who were reclining at the table with Him began to say to themselves, "Who is this man who even forgives sins?"

Christ brought the covenant of grace where previously the people were under the law. The law required the stoning of a prostitute, Christ did not deny that. He did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it:

Matt 5:17:

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

What does it mean to fulfill the law? Well, what does the law do?:

Rom 3:20b:

"for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin. "

and now here is faith in Jesus, that the former prostitute had which saved her, Paul continues to explain faith in Christ as opposed to the law:

Rom 3:21-26

"But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus."

Sasun, your understanding of that passage with the prostitute is stained with neo-mysticism where everyone is good and going to heaven and that there is no hell, a satanic lie.

#19 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (onnig @ Aug 24 2004, 02:40 PM)
I've have already proven it.  Read my previous post.  God's Word is representative of Jesus' Words.  They ARE His words.

NO. You have not proved, you should prove that according to Jesus hell is eternal, otherwise you are an impostor trying to change the meaning of Jesus's teachings.

As to your example of the prostitute situation.  Yes, Christ forgave her.  Who is Christ, but God manifested in the flesh, who is able to forgive sin:

I don't think you understand. That's exactly what I am saying, that Jesus is forgiving, that God is forgiving. While you are saying that God sends people to eternal hell. You maybe wishing it, but too bad for you, that's not true dry.gif . Don't you realize how controversial you sound?

Sasun, your understanding of that passage with the prostitute is stained with neo-mysticism where everyone is good and going to heaven and that there is no hell, a satanic lie.

Huh... are you an all knowing authority to say that? That's a cheap accusation by you calling me satanic or whatever. Are you sure you are not satanic since you have taken the job to misinterpret Christ's teaching by your own likeing?

My all-knowing bigoted friend, Jesus tells us to see Him in everyone and to love everyone. This is clearly written in the Gospels. That means we are all inherently good. Who the hell are you to condemn anyone to eternal hell?

Edited by Sasun, 24 August 2004 - 12:52 PM.

#20 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (onnig @ Aug 24 2004, 01:40 PM)

That damn Satan - trying to convince people that they are good and that there is no hell...what an enemy of the people.

BTW - the serpent of the bible is esentially the same being/personage as Poseidon/Neptune, Enki, THOTH and other god figures who dared to give humans knowledge here-to-for only the purview/benefit of the gods. So he is a hero who has taken the side of humanity against its oppressors/slavers. So at his core the Christian god is evil. He feys love for us when every eveidence is of mockery and torture. He places essentially unacheivable (against human nature) goals when he knows that the vast majority of humanity will not meet the requirementts and will thus be condemned to his tortures. That he is all knowing and all powerful yet allows this is eveidence of his depravity. (Onnig - what % of people in the world today are Christians [and what of those who exist and have existed in ignorance of christ?]...and you do agree Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Confucianist, Daoists etc etc are all going to hell - yes - as they do not accept Christ as Lord and Savior).

And what is the knowledge given to Adam & Eve...their nakedness...desire for the opposite sex....knowledge of sex....yeah thats bad. (and punishible with eternal death & suffering)

I am picturing heaven as in the Matrix - where god has everyone lying in a blissful state - doing no wrong - while his engines/batteries are all powered off of their uneeded energies....I can hear the heavenly chorus (humming of machinery) now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users