ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:literature

Posted 09 July 2001 - 09:59 AM

SOME OF MY FAVORITE THINGS
The best book on the Caucasus and one of the very few non-fiction books that I have read twice and plan to read again: THE SABRES OF PARADISE by Lesley Blanch. There are many Armenians here, not all of them admirable specimens – one notable exception: a young Armenian girl called "the Pearl" who is abducted by Muslim warriors, falls in love with her captor, and when her family shows up to pay the ransom and take her back home, she refuses to go with them.

Two American novels that I have read three times: LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov and FAREWELL , MY LOVELY by Raymond Chandler.

Two of my favorite short stories: "The Lady with the Pet Dog" by Anton Chekhov, and "Dead Yellow Women," by Dashiell Hammett.

Two books that changed my life: THE IDIOT by Dostoevsky, and AN INTRODUCTION TO ZAN BUDDHISM by D.T. Suzuki.

The only book that I never get tired of rereading: Arnold J. Toynbee’s RECONSIDERATIONS (Volume 12 of his STUDY OF HISTORY).

My favorite biography: THE LIFE OF MAHATMA GANDHI by Louis Fischer.

My favorite autobiography, Jean-Paul Sartre’s WORDS.

#2 Anahid Takouhi

Anahid Takouhi

Meg Hadig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Yes Taguhi Pid Darnam

Posted 09 July 2001 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Ara. Your favorite matches perfectly with mine perfectly!

Last month I finished with Gandi! It was great!

#3 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 07:01 PM

I love this thread.Lets broaden the topic. Some of my favorite things are Spyro Gyra, dim lights, long, long, blonde (or red head)legs, "Cohiba" ...and Antoine De Saint-Exupery's "The Little Prince"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users