• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 03 December 2003 - 12:21 AM

Posted Image

Madame de Pompadour (December 29, 1721 - April 15, 1764) was the famous mistress of French King Louis XV of France.

She was born Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson in 1721. It is unsure which one her mother's lovers was her biological father. Her official father was forced to leave the country in 1725 after a scandal so she lived with her mother and sister. She was married young in 1741 to Charles-Guilaume Le Normant d'Etiolles, nephew of her legal guardian Le Normant de Tournehem. Contemporary opinion considered her significantly beautiful.

She caught the eye of the monarch in 1745. Group of courtiers, including her father-in-law, endorsed her to the Louis XV who was still mourning the death of his second mistress, the Duchess of Chateauroux. Jeanne-Antoinette was invited to a royal masquerade in February 1745 that celebrated the marriage of the king's son. By March she had become a regular visitor and King installed her at the Palace of Versailles. In July king made her marquise, had her legally separated from her husband and on September 14 she was formally presented in court.

He also bought her six residences. She seemed to be fond of rococo interiors. She also formed cordial relationship with the queen Marie Leszczinska.

Madame de Pompadour was an accomplished woman, who had a keen interest in literature. She had known Voltaire before her ascendancy and the playwright apparently advised her in her courtly role. Contrary to popular belief - and contemporary opinion - she never had much direct political influence. She did endorse duke of Choiseul to the king and reputedly supported French alliance with Austria. She also endorsed Diderot's project of Encyclopédie.

#2 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 03 December 2003 - 12:25 AM

Well this one is dedicated to Femme Fatale Madame de Pompadour. Basically this glorious and bright woman knew male psyche all too well. She was blessed with beauty and intellect and strength at the same time. With all of that under her belt she managed to become one of the most powerful women in history. She used strategy of manipulation of the King to gain the power she desired. Carefully but surely she succeeded.

Madame de Pompadour was very successful at finding ways to amuse and entertain Louis XV, King of France who was often bored. She was a patron of arts and literature and had a huge library of thousands of books. She organized many extravagant parties and suppers. She was extremely cultured and took particular interest in fashion, thus it is identified with the term "Pompadour style."

But most of all I found it amazing that she hired many distinguished artists at the time, to paint numerous portraits of her. The portraits were always enhanced to magnify her already famous beauty. Through her portraits she kept the King enamored stimulating the visual aspect that so strongly breeds in males.

Madame P.s influence was gaining power. She arranged a mistress for a King, because she could no longer meet his demands. Although they remained friends until the end and the King remained devoted to her until his death. She played an extremely significant role in politics and the government of France. And was said to be responsible for the Seven Year’s War in 1756. But we all know how quick women are blamed for their decisions, especially when intimidated by the lower rank males that are just burning with envy.

#3 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 03 December 2003 - 12:51 AM

But we all know how quick women are blamed for their decisions, especially when intimidated by the lower rank males that are just burning with envy.

LOL - thanks for all the interesting info BTW...but what are you really trying to tell us here? :lol:

#4 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 12:01 AM

That did sound a little twisted I admit, let me paraphrase it…

“But we all know how quick women are blamed for their decisions, especially when lower rank, intimidated males are just burning with envy.”

I hope I cleared that one up for you THOTH. :P

#5 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:11 PM

Today’s Woman of the Day is MATA HARI (1876-1917) – Seductive and sultry exotic dancer and a very clever double agent, too bad she was fired… :blink: :P

Posted Image

Mata Hari (1876-1917) was the stage name of the Dutch exotic dancer and prostitute Gertrud Margarete Zelle, who was shot by the French as a spy on 15 October 1917.

Born on 7 August 1876 in Leeuwarden in the Netherlands, Mata Hari's name has since become synonymous with espionage, although it remains by no means clear that she was guilty of the spying charges for which she charged.

The daughter of a well-to-do hatter, Mata Hari attended a teachers' college in Leiden before, in 1895, marrying Captain Campbell MacLeod (of Scottish antecedents but serving in the Dutch army). They lived together from 1897-1902 in Java and Sumatra.

Returning to Europe together they thereafter separated, at which point Mata Hari took to dancing upon the Paris stage from 1905, initially as 'Lady MacLeod' and soon after as 'Mata Hari', the name she retained until her execution.

Highly successful in Paris (among other cities), Mata Hari's attractiveness, as well as her apparent willingness to appear almost nude on the stage, made her a huge hit. She cultivated numerous lovers, including many military officers.

Still unclear today are the circumstances around her alleged spying activities. It was said that while in The Hague in 1916 she was offered cash by a German consul for information obtained on her next visit to France. Indeed, Mata Hari admitted she had passed old, outdated information to a German intelligence officer when later interrogated by the French intelligence service.

Mata Hari herself claimed she had been paid to act as a French spy in Belgium (then occupied by German forces), although she had neglected to inform her French spymasters of her prior arrangement with the German consul. She was, it seemed, a double agent, if a not very successful one.

It appears (the details are vague) that British intelligence picked up details of Mata Hari's arrangements with the German consul and passed these to their French counterparts.

She was consequently arrested by the French on 13 February 1917 in Paris. Following imprisonment she was tried by a military court on 24-25 July 1917 and sentenced to death by a firing squad. The sentence was carried out on 15 October 1917 in Vincennes near Paris. She was 41.

To many she remains the unfortunate victim of a hysterical section of the French press and public determined to root out evidence of a non-existent enemy within, a scapegoat attractive as much for her curious profession as for her crimes.

#6 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:15 PM

Today’s Woman of the Day is MATA HARI (1876-1917) – Seductive and sultry exotic dancer

if that's really her pic, wow, her body is ...... :jawdrop:

#7 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:35 PM

Once again the rules of marketing to the sexes steps in, and unfortunately sex/sexuality is guaranteed to capture attention of those who would not be interested otherwise.

It is really her pic and Dan I hope that you are just as amazed with her astonishing figure as you are with the educational material that comes with it. RIGHT? :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Yeah I bet you are :rolleyes: *

#8 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:39 PM

lol.. no no, I'm not interested in women.. :D And I admit I didn't read about her, but she's freaking gorgeous. :wub:

Edit note: well, she's not pretty, but her body is ... uhhh... gorgeous. *breathless* I suppose I haven't seen better ones, that's why I'm so breathless... or maybe she really has a gorgeous body... i don't know. :D

Edited by Dan, 05 December 2003 - 08:41 PM.

#9 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 08:56 PM

lol.. no no, I'm not interested in women.. :D And I admit I didn't read about her, but she's freaking gorgeous. :wub:

Edit note: well, she's not pretty, but her body is ... uhhh... gorgeous. *breathless* I suppose I haven't seen better ones, that's why I'm so breathless... or maybe she really has a gorgeous body... i don't know. :D

Aww Dan, well you used breathless twice and gorgeous 3 times in your post….hmmm…so Dan do you think she’s attractive? :lol: :rolleyes:

Well I am glad to contribute to your visual excitement for the day, perhaps I should just make a thread composed of just “gorgeous” bodies especially for you, although I am afraid that your breathless situation will turn into a more dangerous condition of “lack of oxygen” in which case you might need to be put on a respirator. So in the end, I don’t think I want to be responsible for some medical complications that might arise.

And by the way I am sort of confused here you are drooling on your keyboard because of the “gorgeous” body of this seductress and yet you state:

no no, I'm not interested in women

I think there might be a conflict of preferences here. :blink:

#10 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:07 PM

Aww Dan, well you used breathless twice and gorgeous 3 times in your post….hmmm…so Dan do you think she’s attractive?  :lol:  :rolleyes:

well, i'm not attracted to her. i think she's good eye candy though. :lol2: Or wait, is that contradictory? :lol:

Well I am glad to contribute to your visual excitement for the day, perhaps I should just make a thread composed of just “gorgeous” bodies especially for you, although I am afraid that your breathless situation will turn into a more dangerous condition of “lack of oxygen” in which case you might need to be put on a respirator. So in the end, I don’t think I want to be responsible for some medical complications that might arise.

:lol:

And by the way I am sort of confused here you are drooling on your keyboard because of the “gorgeous” body of this seductress and yet you state: "no no, I'm not interested in women" I think there might be a conflict of preferences here.  :blink:

uhh, how to explain this.. in a few words: i think she's gorgeous, but i'm not interested in her *that* way, if you know what I mean? lol.. :unsure:

#11 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:23 PM

uhh, how to explain this.. in a few words: i think she's gorgeous, but i'm not interested in her *that* way, if you know what I mean? lol.. :unsure:

Ha ha no sweat Dan. :lol2: Wait what exactly do you mean by *THAT*? :huh: :lol:

WARNING: You have been put in an uncomfortable position of explaining your state of being, in other words the spotlight is projecting some serious heat waves, you are getting sweaty and nervous, what will you do, WHAT WILL YOU DO?!!!!!!!!!!! B)

#12 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:29 PM

Wait what exactly do you mean by *THAT*?  :huh: :lol: 

haha... that's for you to figure out. ;)

#13 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:37 PM

Been there, done that
no sweat ;)
nothing I hope you regret
When did you discover your pirouette?

#14 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 09:41 PM

When did you discover your pirouette?

pirouette? :dontgetit: I just checked dictionary.com to find the meaning of it, and I must admit (*turns red out of embarassment*), I don't know what you mean by that... I have a few guesses, but lol... so enlighten me? ;) :D I've never heard that word being used. :o

#15 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 01:56 AM

Today's woman of the day is brought to you thanks to the link provided by gamavor (thanks for the hours of entertainment, bud ;))

Posted ImagePosted Image

Rachel Xuereb ... Miss Malta 2003

Rachel completed her secondary education obtaining 7 `O' levels. Her first occupation was as a manager of a gift shop, this enabled her to buy her own car and to be self sufficient, She then attended an induction training course to become a facilitator, it is her ambition to teach children with special needs , but unfortunately there was a shortage of courses and was unable to complete her qualification, so in the meantime has carried on with fashion modelling and photo shoots.

Rachel enjoys modern dance, cooking, reading, swimming and working out at the gym.

Hopefully one day she can see my 'O-face' to go with her 7 'O' levels. ;)

#16 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 01:29 PM

siruna axchik a.... :rolleyes:

#17 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 01:32 PM

Her chest is too flat... or at least in that pic.. :rolleyes: :( lol :unsure:

#18 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:20 PM

You guys are infesting my thread with bimbos, have you no shame? All this work I put in and you are mocking great women with someone who completed her secondary education obtaining 7 `O' levels????!!! Es incha??!! mad.gif

Now all of you go stand in the corner!!!

biggrin.gif

#19 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:22 PM

Not you guys but just Sip.

#20 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:25 PM

Miranda Stuart (1795?-1865)
AKA: Dr James Barry,
Medical Practitioner

A brave and illusive woman.

Before sex was invented and when a career in medicine was forbidden to chaps with breasts, Miranda Barry successfully masqueraded as a man for over fifty years, in the process attaining promotion to the highest ranks of the British Army Medical Service.

Under the name James Barry, Miranda enrolled at the male-only Edingugh College in Scotland (1809). Marianda qualifed (1812) to become a doctor - Dr James Barry - a name which she maintained till her death.

After qualifiying, and still in the male disguise necessary to study and practice medicine, Miranda, or rather "James" joined the British Army as a medical officer. Miranda was sent to South Africa a year later and gained a reputation as a first-class surgeon. And it was in South Africa that Miranda carried out the first successful ceasarian section (1826) - keep in mind that there were no antiseptics.

As Colonial Medical Inspector at the Cape, Miranda imposed strict control upon apothecaries and the supply of drugs. Miranda also improved the health standards in the gaols and leper colonies. At St Helena, Miranda was court-martialled for a certain over-zealousness in attempting to improve the conditions of women patients in the hospital.

As the strutting, bombastic little doctor, Miranda found herself in a duel and was wounded, but she still managed to conceal her sex. Eventually "Dr James" was promoted to become Inspector-General Surgeon to the British Army. Miranda was in the Crimea for four months when the the British Army was at the nadir of it's medical history. Miranda was the only medical officer with the invective and termerity to reprimand another equally formidable woman in the form of Miss Florence Nightingale (d.1910).

notworthy.gif

Edited by anileve, 15 December 2003 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users