22 replies to this topic

#1 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 10:06 AM

I have resaved a Email form a individual who likes to know the details of the Traditional Armenian Wedding.

can we help him ???

MOvses

#2 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 09 May 2002 - 01:30 PM

essential part of Traditional Armenian Wedding:

Looong limo
at least couple of singers
church
dhol zurna
THE MOST IMPORTANT: QAVOR!
half of the people must be sitting and drinking until they passout, the other half must be dancing until they pass out.

well it would be more interesing if there are hars u pesa.

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 02:46 PM

HArout jan -= Traditional Armenian Wedding =- yev voch te LA Armenian wedding

MOvses

#4 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 01:13 PM

1. the groom's mother places lavash over the groom's and bride's shoulders (for prosperity) FYI: this tradition comes from the Pagan period

2. the brother of the bride, with a big knife in his hand, stands in front of the door when they are about to take the bride outside - the "qavor" has to pay a certain amount (the brother decides the amount) of money for the brother to let them go

3. dhol, zurna ... of course

i will think of more later

#5 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 12 May 2002 - 03:04 PM

I think someone has to hide the Brides shoe.

Also a small meal is served at the brides house.

I think the qavor has to say a toast in the brides house.

After all this they move to the church for the official ceremony

After ceremony they throw a small party with their closest 2000000000000000(Only in LA) friends and relatives.

After party the bride and groom go to their home and they have to bread 2 plates in front of the door(plates taken from the brides house)

The following week they spend in Sevan or Dilijan as their honeymoon.

#6 Arturian

Arturian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 May 2002 - 06:31 PM

You know the armenian traditional wedding is a science. Huge and full of many details and things. I will explain how my brother's wedding was last year, it will be very brief.

Uremn. Minchev pesayi koghm@ kgna harsi tun, pesan, irenc durs galuc miqich shut, tgha e ugharkum surov, suri glxin el xndzor, lur@ berelu, te galis en. Araj dziov er gnum ayd lur berogh@. Hima meqenayov, suri teghn el shampur en vercnum.:)

Oh. before they go to the house of girl, the groom goes with gifts to the house of qavor. The table is already prepared there, sit down kenac-menac etc. :)

From man's side to the house of hars qavor-qavorkin, men and young girls go. When they recieve news that young groom is coming, the relatives of the bride are going out of her house to meet them. In their hands they should have round gyata's so they can pass it to the relatives of the groom.

The groom himself brings the wedding dress of the bride, and gifts for her and her relatives. Before the house the relatives are dancing, zourna, tash tush etc. very nice :) Then they enter the house of the bride. The bride should sit in her room and nobody can see her except her woman relatives (!). Qavorkin takes the wedding dress of the bride and with other women goes to dress the bride. When they start dressing the bride they sing a song and obviously everyone is crying. :D The words of the song are something like that:

Hars em gnum, tanic heranum,
Hars em gnum, tanic heranum,
Tasnyot tarekan, nani jan,
Siro tiranum.
Indz berel es, sirel, gurgurel,
Indz berel es, sirel, gurgurel,
Anush katd...
Orhnanqd togh lini, nani jan,
Misht el indz vra.

something like this. :) Don't remember the exact... ;)

Then the groom goes to the room of the bride (or she comes out of her room). The face of the bride should be covered and only the groom can unveil it. They sit, kenac-menac drink then they go to the church. When they are about to go to the church, the brother of the bride with an armenian dagger waits near the door and does not allow the pair to exit the house of the bride. The brother releases them when he gets payed.

When they go to the church, they should take a beautiful bag of gifts and the bottle of church wine. This wine is the bride and the groom will drink in the church during the Psak. In the path that goes to the church they throw white pinks under the legs of the bride. Right before they enter the church they should hold two pigeons and before the enterance they release them. In the church they place the rings on their fingers and also the bishop places crown on their heads. Crowns as far as i am aware of is the symbol freewilling and longlasting marriage. Also they drink wine which means that they are going to take all the sorrows and happiness of the life together forever. After they all go to the house of the groom.

Near the house, the relatives are waiting, and of course the main person - mother-in law. :) She puts on the shoulders of new married lavashs, kisses them and blesses them. All the dancing take place, ansamble is playing music, kids throw sweets to the new married couple (preferable light-weighted sweets ;). Next to the bride there is always harsnaquyr, petq e chamusnacats lini. Next to the groom not marriad guy, hach-ehpayr i think. His is allowed to choose one of the girls in the public and kiss her, the girl should not let him kiss her, whereas hach-ehpayr should try his best. :)

Ok, they met the couple, and they are entering the house. Before the bride enters the house she should brake the overturned plates before the enterence of the door, this means that she breaks all the bad and evil, and enters the house clean and with peace.

They enter the house. Everyone sits around the table, except the bride (this is very important!). She stays standing. Then mother-in-law comes to her, gives her very expensive jewelry (probably family jewerly) and gives permissions to sit down. Then again tash-tush starts. Before there were these small handkerchieves in which they used to put all the sweets from the wedding table and they gave to the young boys and girls who are not married. Now you can buy those. According to traditions if boys and girls put these handkerchieves under they pillow on that same night in their dream they will see their future half. :)

After the first night, in the morning, Mother-in-law sends the woman delagation :) with karmir handzor (red apples, some now do it with red flowers) to the house of the bride. The mother-in-law herself does not go to the house. This means that the girl is clean (virgin). These red apples are given to the father of girl. And obviously father as usual cries that day. :)

In couple of days the glux-lval ceremony takes place, when relative married girls come with gifts to their house to see the bride. There is not much dancing takes place here, usually quite. more like a family thing.

And i think this is it. :D Oh yes, almost forgot, when the bride enter the house of the groom they give a little boy to hold in her hands, so she will have healthy kids as well. :)

This is just a brief explanation. The traditions may differ a little bit from region to region.

This kind of wedding took place one and half years ago in Yerevan, when my brother got married. Now thet have a little fedayin boy in their house. ;) Guys it's so nice and beatiful, our weddings are the best!! Wish you all the best and obviously the pure and long lasting love!

P.S. Sorry guys, couldn't resist. Just one post. BTW congratulate me, I already have a girl whom I will marry in about 3 years. ;)

[ May 15, 2002, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: ARTURian ]

#7 Cavalera

Cavalera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 08:30 AM

i was reading about the armenian weddings...and itīs like the serbian weddings...first, we have to go to the brides house...there, we have to pay for her. and when they accept the price, they are all going in the house, where they are sitting and drinking some alkohol (itīs called rakija), the man gives the brides family presents...and then they go to church, the normal ceremony, and then a great party...

and after the meal, some ppl go around with the couple, and a girl holds a plate, and everyone have to give money on the plate...thatīs a serbian wedding...much more things happen there, but thatīs a bit too much...

i like weddings a lot...i would like to see an armenian too...my ex girlfriend (she is armenian), told me, how her father was some years ago on an armenian wedding in las vegas, and it was very beautiful...i saw many pictures of the wedding

#8 SirumemKez20

SirumemKez20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:My e-mail adress is sirumemkez4ever@yahoo.com

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:43 PM

I love going to weddings my fav... :D

#9 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:48 PM

traditional armenian weddings scare me for some reason...tooo complicated---not trying 2 be rude--but what ever happened 2 not seeing the bride b4 the wedding---bad luck 2 see the bride in her dress...??too much craziness....from brides house 2 grooms house to kavors house 2 here 2 there..in out...park...limo..restaurant...ugh....just go2church get married and have fun people!! but then again traditional real armenian weddings like in armenia--are respectable--not the ones here in the US-they go overboard....

#10 SirumemKez20

SirumemKez20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:My e-mail adress is sirumemkez4ever@yahoo.com

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:53 PM

angel i agree with you girl but when my older brother got married it wasn't all that crazy, like they didn't go house to house to house, everyone took pictures at the glendale park the big one and then at the reception it was a lil crazy we had like three armenian, singers, the whole package...i mean i really enjoyed it but no one saw the bride except for us bridesmates and the kavor kin.... :huh: :D

#11 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:56 PM

i dunno when if i get married hypothetically speaking...--like in 20 years...haha hahaha....its gonna be totally different--i dont like all the cliche armenian weddings---they miss the whole point of a wedding....and those armenian banquet halls----too much! in my opinioa...but then again you never know....and besides its sad w/out the traditional things..they seem more "fun"---i dunno im just blabbering---dont want 2 talk big....

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(MosJan @ May 9 2002, 04:06 PM)
I have resaved a Email form a individual who likes to know the details of the Traditional Armenian Wedding.

can we help him ???

MOvses

http://www.youtube.c...g...ted&search=
And while you're at it look for Henna night as well
http://www.youtube.c...A...ted&search=

Edited by Arpa, 23 July 2007 - 01:40 PM.

#13 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Հայ Լեզուն:

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(Harut @ May 9 2002, 12:30 PM)
essential part of Traditional Armenian Wedding:

Looong limo
at least couple of singers
church
dhol zurna
THE MOST IMPORTANT: QAVOR!
half of the people must be sitting and drinking until they passout, the other half must be dancing until they pass out.

well it would be more interesing if there are hars u pesa.

What's a "qavor"? ohmy.gif

#14 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(Էլիա @ Jul 23 2007, 08:11 PM)
What's a "qavor"? ohmy.gif

Qavor-gnqahayr/Xachyeghbayr,
best man for the wedding in this case

#15 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

Speaking about traditional, in the little towns of Armenia a whole family used to go down the river Եբրատ կամ Դիկրիս գետերը to take a bath together. Does anyone know the validity of it - or has some more stories to offer about this?

#16 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Հայ Լեզուն:

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Anahid Takouhi @ Aug 3 2007, 11:49 PM)
Speaking about traditional, in the little towns of Armenia a whole family used to go down the river Եբրատ կամ Դիկրիս գետերը to take a bath together. Does anyone know the validity of it - or has some more stories to offer about this?

Կը կարծե՞ս, որ այս աւանդութիւնը կապուած է կրօնքո՞վ, մշակոյթո՞վ, կամ երկուքո՞վ: Ո՞ւր լսեցիր այս աւանդութիւնը:

#17 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(Anahid Takouhi @ Aug 3 2007, 11:49 PM)

Don't believe everything you hear.

#18 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE(Էլիա @ Aug 5 2007, 03:32 PM)
Կը կարծե՞ս, որ այս աւանդութիւնը կապուած է կրօնքո՞վ, մշակոյթո՞վ, կամ երկուքո՞վ: Ո՞ւր լսեցիր այս աւանդութիւնը:

Շատոնց իմացած եմ ասոր մասին; եւ նաեւ կարդացած եմ հին գաւառական կեանքի մասին գրուած գրքի մը մեչէն:

I find it to be amusing. tongue.gif

#19 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(ExtraHye @ Aug 5 2007, 04:50 PM)
Don't believe everything you hear.

Amy jan; parov yegar janik. smile.gif

Don't change your avatar, it is the cutest face ever. smile.gif I love it.

I know hokis; but I heard about it and I also read about it a long time ago. I am looking for that old book written by a distinguished Der Hayr. Unfortunately, I've been looking for the book now for some time and I couldn't find it. I am eager to find it soon and read about a great many similar and funny stories like that. But I am talking about the Western Armenian towns before 1915. A long long time ago. tongue.gif

#20 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

I think what we mean by traditional wedding is in fact "the americanized version" of the real thing. I am sure there were no limos involved in the traditiona weddings nor $5,000 bride's gown or Armani suits for men, nor expensive honeymoon packages. So why even call this a traditional wedding I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users