#21 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,603 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE(Ariane @ Feb 22 2007, 04:19 AM) View Post

Are you angry with me for that ? Sorry, but my family was "western armenian", as a lot of armenian living there they were speaking both langage cause as you know we ( the armenians in general !!!) are so clever, and have a great ability to learn other culture.
Sorry if I hurt u but it's my armenian, it's wot I've heard all my life, when I was doing something well, my granfather, Boghos, was telling me "AFFERIM ARTCHIGS" .
PS: 4 Kings better than 4 Queens as said Arpa, because with 4 Queens he may be in trouble.....lol

Of course not angry with you. smile.gif
We love every Armenian who joins this forum, we love them even more when they stay and participate.

#22 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:26 PM

Neko,in Jerusalem the Armenian Patriarchy and the community celebrate Christmas on the 18th of January.

#23 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Sako***** @ Feb 22 2007, 08:26 PM) View Post

Neko,in Jerusalem the Armenian Patriarchy and the community celebrate Christmas on the 18th of January.

Of course! Armenians, more precisely, the Armenians of Jerusalem devised al the calendars.
See below.
http://en.wikipedia....st_of_calendars
Can we be more isolationistic!
There is a crude saying that goes; “After the feast , apply the henna where the sun does not shine”.
tongue.gif tongue.gif

#24 Ariane

Ariane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 22 2007, 03:56 PM) View Post

You mean apris aghcik@s.
Oui. Je parle un peu de Francais.
MERCI BEAUCOUP!
Some Americans would joke as - “mercy bucket” .
Even if I may have lost the art of writing and speaking in the language of Moliere et al, I can still read and understand.
It is ironic that you say you are of the so called western heritage. The irony is that we westerners use much less Turkish words than the easterners, simply because many of us, or our ancestors knew the Turkish language and could tell which words to not use. A short time ago an obviously eastern Armenian used the word “chojukner” , obviously not knowing that that is not an Armenian word. Shall we red Touman’s “ “Aprek erekehq, bayts mez pes chapreq- Aferim chojukhlar…“ Us, the so called western Armenians consciously and deliberately avoid using words that we deem not Armenian, I.e Turkish. However, at times we carry that to the extreme, we use overcompensation, or “hyper-correction” Hi Nairi! Where are you? And carry it to the extreme, as to when we suspect that a common word is used by both people we automatically dismiss it as “foreign” and avoid using it. A sermonette? We the so called western Armenians should forget our Ottoman Turkish heritage and start learning REAL ARMENIAN. Case in point may such words as “erang/ireng”, “orinak/ormek”, “gmpet/kumpet” etc. Of course if Ali Suat (Where is he? I miss him) were here he would try and prove otherwise. Yes. Maybe the root source of those words is a tird party from where we both borrowed. Yet, when a word is common to the Armenian, Persian and Turkish it does not necessarily rule out native Armenian as the root/source. That would be tantamount of “throwing the baby out with the bathwater”.
A good example of “throwing the baby out” would be the following thread below.
Before we go there. Even if this thread has nothing to do with linguistics, let us refresh our memory.
Ariane, do you see the Unicode Armenian text?
When we say “khorovats” we transliterate from ԽՈՐՈՎԱԾ/ԽՕՐՈՈՒԱԾ. We know that before we incorporated the Latin O we used the equivalent of AU/ ԱՒ to impart the sound., therefore we used to write խորոված խաւրուած. Now tell me where that so called NOT turdish “khavurma/khaUrma/khorma/khorvats” comes from! OK! Allright! Maybe it comes from the Sanskrit “XAUR”. Pray tell us who were first exposed to Sanskrit and whose language belongs in that same IE family of languages! Turkish? Is there such a “language, between Arabic, Persian, Latin and…. Yes Armenian?
Here is Kauur/ Խաւր/Khaurvats/Խաւրուած/Խօրոված;
http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=10444
Those qatsordi-s**. They need their behinds “khorovats”!!!
**In their language- kanjukh oghlu= sonofaBITCH..

I know there's similar words between different langage even between english and armenian you say " door " in english and "toor" in armenian. I speak a little spanish too for to say an orange you say " naranja" and "narinj" in armenian, I speak a little arabic too and I learn some same words than in armenian as "tengire", and at this word "sugar" translated in every langage you always have the same root, "shakar", zucker, sokar, azzucar, sucre..... I love the ethymology of the words....

#25 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Ariane @ Feb 22 2007, 09:15 PM) View Post

I know there's similar words between different langage even between english and armenian you say " door " in english and "toor" in armenian. I speak a little spanish too for to say an orange you say " naranja" and "narinj" in armenian, I speak a little arabic too and I learn some same words than in armenian as "tengire", and at this word "sugar" translated in every langage you always have the same root, "shakar", zucker, sokar, azzucar, sucre..... I love the ethymology of the words....

Chere Ariane,
Nous vous aimons!
Peut etre j’ai oubliet mon grammaire.
Laissez moi etre le cochon ici.
If we, the so called western Armenians would stop being so pig-headed we would see that the Armenian word for “door/porte” is not “toor” but “dour”. If we were only be so less pig-headed we would see that the Armenian Ayb Ben Gim Da is in line with the Greek/Latin, French…. ABCD, not A P K T. Where “door” will be “dour” not “toor”. An aside “toor” in Armenian means chisel., “zumba” in Turkish, the reason why Petros (not Bedros)Tourian changed his surname from “Zumbaji-ian”.
As to sugar/sucre/zuccara/zuchero,zucker/shaqar you’re right. It all comes from the Arabic “sukkar” which was passed to Europe during the Crusades.
No. No. Wait!
Did I say from the Arabic?
Yes I did. Since the Europeans first saw it during the Crusades.
Even if we give a pig's arse, as long as the "buck" (shaqar) stops in Armenia.**
Yet it goes much further east than, Arabic, Persian, Sanskrit, or even Indian. It goes to what today is known as IndoChina, Bengal to be exact. Are you ready? Bangladesh, who called it “sakkar/shakhar” to mean “granule” as in granules of sand.
As Jackie Gleason would say; “How sweet it is”!!!

BTW. The Armenian word for “sweet” is “Qaghtsr” not “anush”. That is another story.
** Hey guys! Am I going over your heads with all these English/American/French/Arabic/Turkish and Armenian idioms/sayings?

Edited by Arpa, 22 February 2007 - 04:45 PM.

#26 Ariane

Ariane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 22 2007, 11:35 PM) View Post

Chere Ariane,
Nous vous aimons!
Peut etre j’ai oubliet mon grammaire.
Laissez moi etre le cochon ici.
If we, the so called western Armenians would stop being so pig-headed we would see that the Armenian word for “door/porte” is not “toor” but “dour”. If we were only be so less pig-headed we would see that the Armenian Ayb Ben Gim Da is in line with the Greek/Latin, French…. ABCD, not A P K T. Where “door” will be “dour” not “toor”. An aside “toor” in Armenian means chisel., “zumba” in Turkish, the reason why Petros (not Bedros)Tourian changed his surname from “Zumbaji-ian”.
As to sugar/sucre/zuccara/zuchero,zucker/shaqar you’re right. It all comes from the Arabic “sukkar” which was passed to Europe during the Crusades.
No. No. Wait!
Did I say from the Arabic?
Yes I did. Since the Europeans first saw it during the Crusades.
Even if we give a pig's arse, as long as the "buck" (shaqar) stops in Armenia.
Yet it goes much further east than, Arabic, Persian, Sanskrit, or even Indian. It goes to what today is known as IndoChina, Bengal to be exact. Are you ready? Bangladesh, who called it “sakkar/shakhar” to mean “granule” as in granules of sand.
As Jackie Gleason would say; “How sweet it is”!!!
Wow Arpa, tu m'épates avec ton français !!!!!!
TOOR, DOOR, MOOR, amena miernuneh, the difference is in the accent, in the prononciation. You know i'm from Marseille I've marsilian accent when I speak with parisians the words seems a bit different even if we speak the same langage, cause we don't have the same accent. Have you ever spoken english with a scottish ? they speak the same langage but for an example for to say " Scottish " the scott one
won't pronounce the " tt ", they say " SCO'ISH", same for us I think
BTW. The Armenian word for “sweet” is “Qaghtsr” not “anush”. That is another story.

#27 gmd

gmd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 22 2007, 05:35 PM) View Post

** Hey guys! Am I going over your heads with all these English/American/French/Arabic/Turkish and Armenian idioms/sayings?

Yes. I keep reading it though in the hope that some of it will sink in.

#28 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(gmd @ Feb 22 2007, 11:01 PM) View Post

Yes. I keep reading it though in the hope that some of it will sink in.

Non. Non. Ma cher Ariane.
Vous ne me comprend pas.
It is not how some people speak but how they write. If I were to understand the slang spoken in some of my not so anglo neighborhoods, I might as well be Zimbabwe. Yet, even they when say/write “Zimbabwe” they “Zimbabwe”, not “Zimpapveh”, where the B//Ben, as in Ayb Ben is a B and the PE as in Cha PE Je is P.
Em eye meyqink cence? Hi MosJan smile.gif smile.gif
Or just layk apov. Em eye kowink epov ur heds? smile.gif

Edited by Arpa, 22 February 2007 - 05:32 PM.

#29 Ariane

Ariane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 23 2007, 12:24 AM) View Post

Vous ne me comprend pas.
It is not how some people speak but how they write. If I were to understand the slang spoken in some of my not so anglo neighborhoods, I might as well be Zimbabwe. Yet, even they when say/write “Zimbabwe” they “Zimbabwe”, not “Zimpapveh”, where the B//Ben, as in Ayb Ben is a B and the PE as in Cha PE Je is P.

yes ArBa !!!!!

#30 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

It's Arpa, as in Arpa-chay. Maybe we should rename him Akhurian. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Edited by Armenak, 22 February 2007 - 05:45 PM.

#31 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(Ariane @ Feb 22 2007, 11:33 PM) View Post

yes ArBa !!!!!

TOUCHE!!! Mon ami Dartgnan! Or is it m"Amie Dartagnane?
OUCH!
It hurts.
Yes, Ariane, you touched a sensitive chord.
Before I proceed further, please, do tell us if you can see and read Unicode/Armenian fonts. Lest, once again I go "over the heads" of some of our readers.

Edited by Arpa, 22 February 2007 - 05:47 PM.

#32 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Feb 22 2007, 11:45 PM) View Post

It's Arpa, as in Arpa-chay. Maybe we should rename him Akhurian. ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Can you read? That is. Can you read Armenian? Then read what I have written about "Arpa" (chay/kak)
I just posted it here again for the umpteenth time, search and find. And get that Turkish "arpa/kaka" off your head.
Am I angry? mad.gif mad.gif
Do you know what anger means? mad.gif mad.gif
Why is it that many of our correspondents seem to know more turkish to know that "arpa" may mean barley, yet don't seem to know enough Armenian to know that "arpa" means "from the sun"?
Why don't we FOR ONCE IN OUR LIVES LEARN ARMENIAN and forget that "f*** n other non-language.???
WOW! I never thought I would run into such hard Turk-Ottoman heads here who can' differntaite between the "arpa" and the Armenian ARPA as in Arpa Get, the river from ARP/SUN.
I need another thousand years/geberations to hammer in the message that her we speak Armenian as in "Arpa/from the Sun" and not Turkish as "arpa/ as in barley" whatvere the shit it may mean. Is it to much to ask to forget that turkish/kakish language and learn some basic Armenian!!??
Yes. Yes. I know. Many have insinuated that my nickname means barley in Turkish. Do we know more Armenian than the likes of Zur-kakars? Why do we know more Turkish than proper Armenian to know what "arp/arpi/arpa" means? It does not mean "barley". The Armenian word for that is "gari".
Yes. Yes. I am familiar with that f***n language.
GET THE HELL OUT OF TURKEY.
THIS IS ARMENIA.

Edited by Arpa, 22 February 2007 - 06:21 PM.

#33 neko

neko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 22 2007, 11:58 PM) View Post

Can you read? That is. Can you read Armenian? Then read what I have written about "Arpa" (chay/kak)
I just posted it here again for the umpteenth time, search and find. And get that Turkish "arpa/kaka" off your head.

Yeh, I remember - but I also remember I had said in a previous post that almost nobody except you bothers reading or even remembering past posts.

#34 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

Sorry Arpa. Կը ներես:

#35 gmd

gmd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 22 2007, 06:24 PM) View Post

Vous ne me comprend pas.

it goes over my head because i was born in Yervan and learned how to read and write Armenian prior to starting school. we moved to the US before i received any formal Armenian education. as a result my Armenian vocabulary and grammer is limited. i understand western Armenian but not very well at times.

#36 Ariane

Ariane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(gmd @ Feb 23 2007, 02:25 AM) View Post

it goes over my head because i was born in Yervan and learned how to read and write Armenian prior to starting school. we moved to the US before i received any formal Armenian education. as a result my Armenian vocabulary and grammer is limited. i understand western Armenian but not very well at times.

I've got exactly the same problem, even if, I'm born in France my parents too, my grandparents went from Kharpert and Yozgad western arménia. But when I'm born my parents and my granparents were only talking with me in armenian. I haven't speak french till the age of 5, when I started school, where I've learnt it, that's why , my armenian vocabular and grammar are limited.

#37 Ariane

Ariane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 23 2007, 12:58 AM) View Post

Why is it that many of our correspondents seem to know more turkish to know that "arpa" may mean barley, yet don't seem to know enough Armenian to know that "arpa" means "from the sun"?
Why don't we FOR ONCE IN OUR LIVES LEARN ARMENIAN and forget that "f*** n other non-language.???
WOW! I never thought I would run into such hard Turk-Ottoman heads here who can' differntaite between the "arpa" and the Armenian ARPA as in Arpa Get, the river from ARP/SUN.
I need another thousand years/geberations to hammer in the message that her we speak Armenian as in "Arpa/from the Sun" and not Turkish as "arpa/ as in barley" whatvere the shit it may mean. Is it to much to ask to forget that turkish/kakish language and learn some basic Armenian!!??
Yes. Yes. I know. Many have insinuated that my nickname means barley in Turkish. Do we know more Armenian than the likes of Zur-kakars? Why do we know more Turkish than proper Armenian to know what "arp/arpi/arpa" means? It does not mean "barley". The Armenian word for that is "gari".
Yes. Yes. I am familiar with that f***n language.
GET THE HELL OUT OF TURKEY.
THIS IS ARMENIA.

Dear ARPA, I don't want u to be angry like that. Even if I understand and I agree with u for everything you say. But, I won't teach u that a lot of armenians musn't speak armenian for to hide, and I know a lot of armenians from west who were not knowing a word of armenian, they were just speaking this F****** BASTARDS NON-LANGAGE ( as you say cause it's so true !!!!!!!!!! I really hate, as you can't imagine! u say their non-langage, I use to say they have no-name!), my family was bi-lingual (tri-lingual with the french, they were so clever, they'll have for ever all my love, respect, admiration), we were living in a community in Marseille where there was a lot of armenians from many places of "our entire Armenia", they've mixed the both langages, and that's wot a lot of people born away, like me, have heard and learnt, that is why we don't know the proper armenian. I know u knew that, and allright, for my part I'm ready to learn the rights words.

#38 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

Those of us who insists that Chrsitmas is on Jan. 6, 7, 13, 19. How many Chrsitmas Sharakans do you know? Can you sing them? How many Chrsitmas carols do I know? Can I sing them? You bet!! I have sung them, both carols and sharakans in public. How many sharakans have you sung in public? How many can you sing now?
Those whose main aim is to draw a line between Dec. 25 and Jan. 6 , isolate us from the rest of Christendom, the Christian World need not apply.
Even if, at the moment I don’t subscribe to any traditional or formal church, I do remember that we used to sing the following Sharakan.
At the days when I was the chairman of the local church auxiliary committee, during a Christmas gathering we, lighted candles and sang Christmas Carols. And, towards the end I invited the two major chorus mmbers to sing an Armenian Christmas Song. Both of them were at a loss.They were not embaarsed,but I turned beet red. They could not even remember the sharakan below, that I, who was born and raised as a non-Apostolic, knew by heart..
The following is from here, thank you Ohannes.
http://hyeforum.com/...mp;#entry252842
ՕՐՀՆՈՒԹԻՒՆ ԾՆՆԴԵԱՆ

Խորհո՛ւրդ մեծ եւ սքանչելի,
Որ յայսմ աւուր յայտնեցաւ,
Հովիվքն երգեն ընդ հրեշտակս,
Տան աւետիս աշխարհի:
Ծնա՛ւ նոր արքայ

Ի Բեթղեհեմ քաղաքի.
Որդի՛ք մարդկան, օրհնեցէ՛ք,
Զի վասն մեր մարմնացաւ:
Անբաւելին երկնի եւ երկրի

Ի խանձարուրս պատեցաւ,
Ոչ մեկնելով ի Հօրէ`
Ի սուրբ այրին բազմեցաւ

Մովսէս Խորենացի

Is that the Armenian version of this?
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
or this?
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
http://hyeforum.com/...mp;#entry252842
And, when you click to the above, also see the (Armenian, when did “kara“ become an Armenian word?) Herbert Von Karayan’s Symphony no. 6
And now. Some of us have the audacity to state that Christmas is not on Dec. 25 , but on Jan. 6, 7, 13 or 19.
Show us!
Sing a Christmas Sharakan.
And, please come back when you can show us how any Jan. 6th Armenian has created such masterpices as Handel's Messiah and Beethoven's 9th

Edited by Arpa, 12 December 2008 - 02:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users