#21 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(HyeFedayis @ Jun 7 2007, 03:39 PM) View Post
Sadly no ones going to look for "made in Turkey" our cuisines are very similar big deal.

many do smile.gif

#22 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE(MosJan @ Jun 7 2007, 06:46 PM) View Post
many do smile.gif

Yes Movses jan; my 12 year old daughter does. She checks everything before buying that it's not made in Turkey.

I am so proud of her. She says mommy they killed most Armenians and I don't want to buy any Turkish products.

Yes el esi iren Ապրիս աղչիկս: Դուն շատ աղվոր աղչիկս ես եւ շատ ու շատ ճիշտ ես:

In short, if my 12 year old daughter checks very thoroughly to avoid all turkish products, not to purchase them; surely every good Armenian could and should do the same.

#23 HyeFedayis

HyeFedayis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(MosJan @ Jun 7 2007, 06:46 PM) View Post
many do smile.gif

Mos Jan do you go to stores and look if its made in Turkey? The products are already bought and many Armenians will go ahead and buy them since we have identically foods. I can understand how this can be a productive way to crash there system but it won't help, you need to be louder about this and try other things and I'm not sure if people will want to argue about food but maybe even take Armenians as a joke. Also do you think it is right to say they killed us? who? the government the people? I'm sure many Jews buy German products. For the post above me about her daughter, we can educate but do it in a more educationally way not by hating them get around it, meaning don't say Turks killed us since she is young there are many different sides for example it was organized the Turks used Kurds to kill Armenians right? okay.... anyway most Turks in Turkey are blind about our side they are being shown the fake side, claiming it was not a Genocide and that Armenians killed Turks which is absurd. Not all Turks hate Armenians, I've talked to some who said don't let the Genocide deniers give us a bad name, since he supports the Armenians, his grandparents were witnesses of the Genocide by Turks, his grandfather said they rounded up the men and started killing them in the villages but there was little they could do or the Turks that stored Armenians in there houses for protection.

#24 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

yes i avoid baying made in t products
i will not spend a dime on it / nor i will let my kids and family consume anything form turkey - it's me my personal preference - your free to do what you wish

#25 Arvestaked

Arvestaked

Aspiring Memetic Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(HyeFedayis @ Jun 8 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post
I can understand how this can be a productive way to crash there system but it won't help, you need to be louder about this and try other things and I'm not sure if people will want to argue about food but maybe even take Armenians as a joke.

It's a matter of principle; not an effort to "crash the system". They committed "crimes against humanity" upon the Armenian ethnicity and owe our community a long overdue appology and reparations. Giving that country money in the interim is a ridiculous thing to do.

Also do you think it is right to say they killed us? who? the government the people?

They are covering up the fact that their ancestors did this. I guess you didn't notice.

I'm sure many Jews buy German products.

Germans have paid their dues and the crimes committed against the Jews are well represented in the history books.

#26 Arvestaked

Arvestaked

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE(HyeFedayis @ Jun 8 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post
.... anyway most Turks in Turkey are blind about our side they are being shown the fake side, claiming it was not a Genocide and that Armenians killed Turks which is absurd. Not all Turks hate Armenians, I've talked to some who said don't let the Genocide deniers give us a bad name, since he supports the Armenians, his grandparents were witnesses of the Genocide by Turks, his grandfather said they rounded up the men and started killing them in the villages but there was little they could do or the Turks that stored Armenians in there houses for protection.

Nobody would deny that this is true to some degree but it has nothing to do with boycotting Turkish products out of principle.

#27 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:53 PM

Turkish products are sold to Armenians in Lebanon and Syria too. Even in Canada, some Armenians buy Turkish products. A Lebanese grocery store near my house sells it and it has a lot of Armenian clients. For example I've seen products called Ulker (pretzel sticks which I think are Turkish) and Hazer Baba products. Fortunately this grocery store sells some Armenian products as well.

The other thing that annoys me is the fact that many Armenians listen to Turkish songs and watch TV shows, but these are more popular with the older generations. It's despicable. My Armenian teacher at first grade used to tell us that if we see our parents listen to Turkish music, we should smash the cassettes lol

Edited by Dave, 13 June 2007 - 01:54 PM.

#28 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

OMG, you guys make it sound like Armenians actually have the power to make a difference in Turkish economy by boycotting their products! This is such a myth. Armenians are perhaps Turkey's smallest consumers. And yes, I buy Turkish products, and I don't feel guilty about it. I certainly do not hate Turks, especially those that have never done me any harm, which is the largest majority. I find it disturbing that there are Armenians who are spreading the hatred further, instead of letting go. Turkey does not own us, so why do we still act as if our survival depends on them, as if they are still our masters and we their slaves? As a "counterattack," if you wish to have one, we should create an industry in Armenia that will sell products to among others Turkish consumers.

#29 Arvestaked

Arvestaked

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(nairi @ Jun 13 2007, 04:17 PM) View Post
OMG, you guys make it sound like Armenians actually have the power to make a difference in Turkish economy by boycotting their products! This is such a myth. Armenians are perhaps Turkey's smallest consumers. And yes, I buy Turkish products, and I don't feel guilty about it. I certainly do not hate Turks, especially those that have never done me any harm, which is the largest majority. I find it disturbing that there are Armenians who are spreading the hatred further, instead of letting go. Turkey does not own us, so why do we still act as if our survival depends on them, as if they are still our masters and we their slaves? As a "counterattack," if you wish to have one, we should create an industry in Armenia that will sell products to among others Turkish consumers.

Again, it has nothing to with affecting the Turkish economy.

It also has nothing to do with hatred.

I don't disagree that we need to enhance the industry of Armenia. However, Turks have an embargo against Armenia. The hypothetical Armenian industry should be used to replace Turkish products marketted to the diaspora.

Edited by Arvestaked, 13 June 2007 - 05:26 PM.

#30 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Arvestaked @ Jun 14 2007, 01:26 AM) View Post
However, Turks have an embargo against Armenia.

Although this is true, it is a myth that this is making a difference for the Armenian economy.

#31 Arvestaked

Arvestaked

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(nairi @ Jun 13 2007, 04:31 PM) View Post
Although this is true, it is a myth that this is making a difference for the Armenian economy.

I didn't say it was making a difference to the Armenian economy. I was responding to your comment about "counterattacks".

#32 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:57 PM

Why should we let go? THEY should let go, and stop suffocating Armenia economically. It doesn't matter if it won't make a significant impact, but boycotting Turkish products certainly gets the message across. If, for example, Turkish exporters notice that their products aren't selling in a certain region of the US (Glendale) they'd take note of the fact that Armenians boycott Turkey. Of course there are a few good Turks who seem to accept the Armenian genocide and who are ready to say sorry, but the Turkish government isn't like that at all. Why should we let Turkey profit from what is supposed to be our money and from the products that we are supposed to export ourselves?

An anecdote that came to mind:
Once, I was offered Turkish sweets by a relative of mine, and on the box it was written that the company existed since 1915. Surprising, isn't it? Whatever that was used to produce those sweets were probably owned by Armenians, previously.

Of course, there's an alternative. We could, as you and Arvestaked have suggested, complement the boycott by making industries in Armenia that would replace those Turkish products. However I don't see how selling stuff to Turkey would help our boycott; you're talking as if there's no blockade at all... But it's easier said than done.

#33 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(nairi @ Jun 13 2007, 07:17 PM) View Post

So hell vegetarians who think they are making a difference, hell those who personally recycle, hell those who personally drive smaller cars or take the bike. To hell those who boycott Disney because they build many of their products in factories around the world who use child labour.

#34 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(Domino @ Jun 14 2007, 02:06 PM) View Post
So hell vegetarians who think they are making a difference, hell those who personally recycle, hell those who personally drive smaller cars or take the bike. To hell those who boycott Disney because they build many of their products in factories around the world who use child labour.

yes.gif agreed.
I don't think anyone here is kidding themselves into thinking that we could make a dent in the Turkish ecomony. But this is a personal decision, and it's a grass-roots type of statement. I will not knowingly buy Turkish goods until relations are normalised (and that includes removal of the trade embargo). It's a principle and I don't think this kind of individual grass roots action should in anyway replace alternate efforts to build Armenia's economy. However, to deliberately support the industry of a country that is actively engaged in hostile trade practices against Armenia (or to not even care) is not very helpful at all.

Edited by vava, 14 June 2007 - 10:11 PM.

#35 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

I try not to buy anything Turkish. Sometimes I am not aware things are made in Turkey but if I know, then I don't buy. Also anything that sounds Turkish but is made in Bulgaria or similar places I don't buy.

#36 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE(Sip @ Jun 15 2007, 12:39 AM) View Post
I try not to buy anything Turkish. Sometimes I am not aware things are made in Turkey but if I know, then I don't buy. Also anything that sounds Turkish but is made in Bulgaria or similar places I don't buy.

What's wrong with Bulgarian products? Does Bulgaria have an embargo against Armenia that I'm not aware of?

#37 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE(vava @ Jun 14 2007, 10:21 PM) View Post
What's wrong with Bulgarian products? Does Bulgaria have an embargo against Armenia that I'm not aware of?

No Vavajan - many Turkish Co's have their good's packaged or caned in Bulgaria - on the end it has a Made in Bulgaria sticker on it + someone in this forum was saying that if you import good from Bulgaria you get a TAX brake - something like IAFTA w/ Mexico

it's not only the Turkish or boycotting this or that -
2 days a go was in a store in Pasadena - on the shelf you see iman Bayeld@ (Sorry) or roasted pepers - turshu ( Sorry ) - man haw hard is it to roast a bell pepper ?? or to make a iman bayeld@ ( Sorry Sorry )
you can make a home made turshu ( sorry sorry sorry sorry ) in less then 7 days - and you can use product that you know you can trust...
how lazzzzyy are we getting - + all that additives Sodium and Sh***

#38 Sassun

Sassun

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:34 AM

Unfortunately in Lebanon many Armenians buy and consume Turkish products. As for me, I have made it a habit to look at the 'made in' info on every single product that I buy, for the sole purpose of avoiding buying any Turkish products, even if they might be much cheaper .

Even if it will not make a difference, it is also an issue of principles.

#39 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:16 PM

CAUCASIAN ENEMIES ENGAGE IN UNOFFICIAL TRADE

Karabakh conflict doesn’t stop Armenians and Azeris buying each others’ goods.

By Sabuhi Mammedli in Baku, Lusine Musaelian in Stepanakert and Naira Melkumian in Yerevan

Armenia and Azerbaijan have no official ties but goods from the two neighbours manage to slip round the closed borders and into each others’ shops despite official efforts to keep them out.

Even shops in Nagorno-Karabakh, where ethnic Armenians broke free of Azeri control in a war that ended in 1994 but still poisons relations between Baku and Yerevan, stock Azeri tea. It is, residents say, too good to miss out on.

“I have Azeri tea in my shop, and it is much in demand here,” said shop assistant Ashot Hayrapetian.

“We buy this tea in Yerevan and sell it in great quantities. The tea is very popular with old people, who say that once you’ve tasted it, you will want no other tea.”

Across the border, which is still patrolled by troops and bristling with weapons, Azeri shops occasionally stock Armenian brandy, the country’s most famous export.

Azerbaijani Salekh Mamedov, 52, who is a lover of wine and port, told IWPR he didn’t mind drinking good cognac, even if it was Armenian.

“I still remember how Ararat tasted,” he said, referring to the most famous Armenian brand of brandy. “Of course, we can’t forget about the lost lands, but goods don’t matter, do they?”

But many people on both sides of the border think they do matter, saying buying such products amounts to giving support to the enemy.

“Armenian goods are mostly smuggled in through markets on the border between Georgia and Armenia,” said Eyub Husseinov, chairman of Azerbaijan’s Free Consumers Association.

“Trains for Baku and Yerevan depart from the railway station in Tbilisi every 40 minutes. In that time, many Azerbaijanis and Armenians communicate and even trade with each other. I have seen this with my own eyes more than once.”

Azerbaijan’s state customs department said such unofficial trade was the only real source of Armenian goods in Azerbaijan.

“The few Armenian goods that emerge on the local counters now and then are mainly brought in from Georgia by individuals and in allowable quantities,” said a spokesman.

“These may be confined to two or three boxes of cigarettes or a couple of bottles of cognac. What can the customs do in such cases? Citizens themselves should have enough patriotic spirit to stop them buying goods made in the enemy country.”

Occasionally, shops are found selling Armenian goods. A shop in Baku was caught selling Armenian coffee wholesale last year. The whole stock was confiscated and destroyed.

“Just the other day, our agents found napkins made by a ‘Markarian AE’ on the shelves of a shop in the Khachmaz district,” said Husseinov. Markarian is a typical Armenian name.

“The owner of the shop said he had brought them from Georgia, that when buying them he did not pay attention to the label.”

He said Jubilee brandy, Areni wines and Cigarone cigarettes were among the most popular Armenian goods in Azerbaijan.

“The bottle of the Areni wine bears a label that shows a map of Armenia embracing Nagorny Karabakh - our lands! - as part of it,” he said angrily. “How dare citizens of Azerbaijan buy these goods and - what’s worse - bring them into the country?”

One 47-year-old owner of a wine shop in the centre of Baku said that Armenian brandy did appear in his shop now and then.

“My partner in Georgia sends the brandy to me every three or four months,” he said. “Sometimes it is ten bottles a time. I must admit that Armenian cognac has always been in demand here because of its good quality and taste. I have regular clients who favour this cognac.”

Tea is nowadays the only Azeri product to be seen in Karabakh’s shops and markets, although over the years chocolate, sweets and flour have also been sold there.

Valery Simonian, chief of quality control at Nagorny Karabakh’s ministry for territorial management and infrastructure development, said goods that had no Armenian information on their packaging were banned from sale in Karabakh.

“We are entitled to deliver a written warning or ban this or that product from sale,” said Simonian. “But goods are imported by private traders and we are not in a position to control every one of them.”

A saleswoman called Anahit in Stepanakert told IWPR that customers could choose between Azerbaijan’s Azerchai tea and tea imported from Turkey.

“But Azerchai sells better, as it is cheaper and of a higher quality,” said Anahit. “Besides, it is Azeri tea, not Turkish tea that is famous all over the world for its taste and properties.”

Azerchai is also popular in Armenia, especially among Armenians who fled Azerbaijan during the armed conflict.

“I always buy this tea, because its brew is so strong and wonderful,” said Yerevan resident Tatiana Babaian, 55, who used to live in Baku. “Baku Armenians are famous tea-drinkers.”

“Most probably, this is contraband, which should not be allowed into trade outlets, but the market is difficult to control,” said Anahit Voskanian, spokesman for Armenia’s economy and trade ministry.

“Even if there were many officers, they wouldn’t be able to monitor the whole of Armenia and Karabakh. The same applies to the trade in Armenian cognac in Azerbaijan.”

Armenian customs officials say no large quantities of Azeri goods had entered the country for three years, and the trade was conducted by individuals.

“Armenia’s laws don’t forbid importation of commodities from a country with which we have no diplomatic ties,” Gagik Kocharian, head of the trade and services department at the trade and economy ministry, told IWPR.

“There’s no avoiding the fact we are neighbours with Armenia,” Novruz Mamedov, chief of the international relations department of the Azeri presidential administration, told the APA news agency.

“Of course, political, economic and cultural relations between our countries will be restored one day. However, so long as our lands remain occupied by Armenia, it’s wrong to bring their goods into our country and thus help them earn money.”

And some residents refuse to even countenance buying goods that originate over the border.

Ashraf Aliev, a 39-year-old resident of Baku, said he could not understand people who sold Armenian goods in Azerbaijan nor those who bought them.

“We have no shortage of any sort of commodities. So why should we use Armenian goods? They would not mind poisoning us and doing harm to us once more,” he said.

Karabakh resident Marina, 42, is equally wary of Azeri products.

“Even in the starving war years, we never used the flour that was brought in from Baku for free, and, all the more, I won’t buy goods from Azerbaijan now,” she said.

“They would profit from my buying their goods. Besides, there’s the risk factor – you never know what these products might contain.”

Sabuhi Mammadli is a correspondent of the newspaper Yeni Musavat, Baku. Lusine Musaelian is a correspondent of the newspaper Demo, Stepanakert. Naira Melkumian is a correspondent of the news agency Arka, Yerevan

This article is a product of IWPR’s Cross Caucasus Journalism Network funded by the European Union and other donors. Institute for War and Peace Reporting’s Caucasus Reporting Service

#40 DeLaLa

DeLaLa

The Dolminator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Dolma udel !

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

lol ... hello everyone in here ... i really have to laugh when i read all yor posts here .... do you people know that the airplanes Yerevan / Istanbul (which fly a couple of times a day back and forth) are totally packed all year through ? most of the armenians buy big bags full of clothes and other things in the kapali tsharshe (bazaar) to sell it in hayastan . to earn money . and you people complain about a little bit of dolma-leaves and pakhlava from turkey . it is grotesque what you are all writing here lol ...

Edited by DeLaLa, 21 July 2007 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users