Komitas by Don Askarian

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2000 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image

35 mm, 1:1.66, 96 min, color and b/w, Germany,1988. Script and Direction by Don Askarian. Produced by Don Askarian and Margarita Woskanian with WDR, SFB, Channel Four, RTBF, RTSR, FFA, FKT, K.j.d.F., Alex Manugian Cultural Fund. Distributed and broadcasted in Germany, Japan, France, England, Belgic, Netherland, Greece, Armenia, Switzerland.

Prizes: Interfilm-Jury-Price - Max-Ophuls-Price Fest.'89; 6 Gold-Medails - Filmfestival Venice '88; Prizewinner at Riga Filmfestival '90.

Prints in English, German, French, Italian, Dutch and Japan.
© by Don Askarian.

The destiny of Komitas? This is the magic beauty of Armenian culture and the abhorrent brutality of Armenian history. The film is dedicated to the Armenian monk and genius composer Komitas.

Don Askarian

" 'Komitas' is an original vision of our century's defining crime. Ambitious, gorgeously composed and rigorously demanding, Don Askarian's "Komitas" is nothing less than an attempt to present genocide and its awful aftermath as a collective memory of barbarity rather than a sequence of events".

Desmond Ryan, "The Philadelphia Inquirer" May 7, 1993

"If you can sit through this movie, you'll be glad you did. It makes meanings just as an obscure poem, a piece of music, a postmodern dance, make meanings - pushing at the audience without resolving. And somehow, sense is made out of bits and pieces of anguish, insanity and revelation".

Daisy Fried, "Welcomat" May 5, 1993
http://www.geocities...n/don_film.html

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2000 - 04:44 AM

Dear MosJan

Thank you for this post. I am a big fan of Komitas, I have just e-mailed Askarian.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2000 - 09:16 AM

No problem Jan.
let me know if you can get any of his work frome him .
i send him a e-mail but hav never got anything back frome him.
Movses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users