Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

Jealousy?

Mr. Stallone, Don't Forget the Assyrian Genocide
Basna Beth Yuhanon

(AINA) -- Editor's note: Sylvester Stallone is making a film about the Turkish genocide of Armenians in World War One. The film does not include Assyrians and Greeks, who were also massacred in the same genocide.

Dear Mr. Stallone:

Please allow me to write you this letter to ask for your support for the oppressed Assyrian people.

I have read that you are going to produce a film based on Franz Werfel's novel "The Forty Days of Musa Dagh" which deals with the Armenian Genocide. I would like to thank you sincerely for taking this step to make the plight of the victims of this genocide known to the whole world so that justice may finally be done, but also I would like to bring to your attention that during World War I there was not only a Genocide against the Armenians but also against the Assyrian people and other Christians such as the Greeks in the Ottoman Empire.

The Assyrians, with a history spanning 7000 years, are the indigenous people of Mesopotamia (Assyria). They are Christians and builders of a great civilization in Mesopotamia. They were the first to accept Christianity and spread with their strenuous and passionate spirit the Gospel of love and salvation to other nations and places. The Assyrians speak a semitic language, Assyrian, also called Aramaic and Syriac, which was spoken by Jesus Christ and which was for many centuries the lingua franca in Middle East.

Unfortunately, this glorious part is also marred by centuries of persecutions and atrocities at the hands of Moslems, in particular of Arabs, Turks and Kurds, who invaded and occupied their land over the centuries till this day. One of these horrible calamities that befell the Assyrian nation was the Genocide of 1915. Over 750,000 Assyrians - two third of the Assyrian population - were murdered by Young Turks and their henchmen, the Kurds. The Assyrian people were systematically subjected to massacres, deportations, expropriation, torture, pillage and starvation, concurrently with their Armenian and Greek brethren. Assyrian recruits in the Ottoman Army were reduced to forced labor battalions and worked under conditions of torture, hunger and thirst equalling slavery. Women, girls and children were victims of horrible abuses and abasement.

The following statement from a report of an Assyrian eyewitness describes the barbarous methods used by Turks and Kurds to slaughter Assyrian children:

"One day the Moslems assembled all the children of from six to fifteen years and carried them off to the headquarters of the police. There they led the poor little things to the top of a mountain known as Ras-el Hadjar and cut their throats one by one, throwing their bodies into an abyss." (Joseph Naayem, Shall This Nation Die?)

In the years after World War I Assyrians were subjected to further massacres, expulsion and destruction. The persecution and oppression of the Assyrian Christians by the different Islamic groups, Kurds, Turks and Arabs, continues till this day. As a consequence of these atrocious and destructive experiences the Assyrian people continue to carry pain and unhealed wounds with them.

The purpose of my letter is to appeal to you Mr. Stallone to mention in your new film also the Genocide perpetrated against the Assyrian people. By doing this, you would help to create awareness for the unmentioned plight and sufferings of the Assyrian Christians. Since the Genocides against the Assyrians and Armenians were carried out at the same time, it would be a sin not to include the sufferings of the Assyrians in your film.

The Assyrian people, organizations and friends would give you all their support to let your film become more successful and should you require access to any material, such as the book quoted above, to gain a deeper insight into the Assyrian Genocide, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

We hope for your solidarity and sense of justice.

Thank you for your help and efforts and I wish you every success for your new film.

http://www.aina.org/...70207115546.htm

Edited by Dave, 07 February 2007 - 08:43 PM.

#22 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

Jealousy?

Lets not be Jews and pretend like what happened to us was more brutal/painful than what happened to Assyrians and Pontic Greeks, at the hands of the same perpetrators I might add. I hope the film does take place and Assyrians and Greeks are mentioned.

#23 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(Accelerated @ Feb 7 2007, 11:20 PM) View Post

Lets not be Jews and pretend like what happened to us was more brutal/painful than what happened to Assyrians and Pontic Greeks, at the hands of the same perpetrators I might add. I hope the film does take place and Assyrians and Greeks are mentioned.

It would not be logic to cover Pontic Greeks, the destruction of the Pontic Greeks mostly happened with the nationalist forces. The Assyrians were to the Armenian genocide, what the Gypsies were to the Holocaust. The thing is that I don't see how they would fit in on a movie on Musa Dagh. But even if they were not mentioned, such a movie would help the Assyrian cases.

#24 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:58 PM

Also, the above letter is just stupid, if the Assyrians want to make their cases, they should leave it to their intellectuals to handle it.

#25 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:30 PM

I wasnt suggesting that the events be 'covered/included' in the movie, that wouldnt make much sense. Simply be mentioned in a note at the end - something along the lines of: "1.5 million Armenians died in the period from 1915-23. during the same period the Ottomans/Turks/Kurds exterminated 750,000 Assyrians and XXXX Pontic Greeks...". I think thats all the letter is asking.

#26 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 7 2007, 06:42 PM) View Post

(AINA) -- Editor's note: Sylvester Stallone is making a film about the Turkish genocide of Armenians in World War One.

So, is it official? Stallone is really going to make the film? It's one thing to express the desire to do something and another to actually do it.

#27 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

It seems so:

Mt. Musa Armenians express concern over Stallone movie

The only Armenian village in Turkey, Vakıflı in Hatay province, has expressed concerns over the destruction the peace and tolerance that dominate their lives because of a proposed movie on the so-called Armenian genocide.

American actor Sylvestor Stallone recently announced plans to make a movie based on the book "The Forty Days of Musa Dag" written by Austrian Franz Werfel in 1933. He wants to film the movie at Mt. Musa, which rises next to Vakıflı. "We will only approve the plan if the movie underlines the environment of peace and tolerance in which we live. But if it undermines that, we are against this movie," Vakıflı local administrator Berç Kartun said as he expressed conditional approval.
Kartun added that they have lived at Musa Dagh in peace and tolerance for centuries. "The theme of the movie belongs here -- right where we live. Mt. Musa is next to us. It is all right for us if someone wants to make a movie here about the book 'The Forty Days of Musa Dag.' There are also beautiful things in that book. If those things will be used without starting a controversy, the movie will be welcome. The movie should tell about the tolerance here. Then it will be beneficial for introduction of Turkey, our village and Hatay. People should come and see the mountain and our life here. Nobody has the right to ruin our peace," he said.

'The Forty Days of Musa Dagh'
The book is about the forced emigration of Anatolian Armenians in 1915, with a group of them taking shelter on Mt. Musa, south of İskenderun. They clashed with Ottoman soldiers in Hatay and were taken to Egyptian refugee camps by French ships.

MEHMET DENER HATAY

http://www.todayszam...r...7&bolum=101

These "Musa Dagh Armenians" aren't the ones who fought, they're the ones who sat and watched when the rest of the Armenians were fighting.

#28 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 9 2007, 05:14 PM) View Post

Kartun added that they have lived at Musa Dagh in peace and tolerance for centuries.

Then where is the 'ian' of your name, why was it removed?

#29 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:47 PM

...and more importantly, where are all your Armenian neighbours?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users