levonyeshilian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Location:scientists say brush before,after&between the meals
  • Interests:rock'n rollllllllllll and playing guitar

Posted 19 February 2001 - 12:42 PM

Hi,
I'd like to know when did Armenians started to settle down in California....and why especially there......

#2 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 19 February 2001 - 09:14 AM

Most of all, would like to know why I"M not there! grrrrowwwwwl! why did my stupid family have to come to stupid old here and not there!

#3 TigrannesIII

TigrannesIII

Riko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Making fun or conservatives and seeking progressive change while preaching endogamy and cultural conservation in the diaspora.

Posted 19 February 2001 - 09:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
Most of all, would like to know why I"M not there! grrrrowwwwwl! why did my stupid family have to come to stupid old here and not there!

I'm worse off.... my family WAS there then decided to come to Hickistan, I mean Wisconsin.undefined

#4 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 19 February 2001 - 09:33 AM

Let's be miserable together a least you know what it was all about then you were torn away!

Hey, Lev, tigrannes and I, why don't we run away to California, and we can visit Pilafhead, and everybody, go to church, go to the beach, and everything!

#5 TigrannesIII

TigrannesIII

Riko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Making fun or conservatives and seeking progressive change while preaching endogamy and cultural conservation in the diaspora.

Posted 19 February 2001 - 09:40 AM

I was born in Milwaukee, Great Gramps moved the family to Chicago in, oh, 1908 or so.... but still, they moved away. They DID move away from Fresno though, so it may be all for the better...

#6 levonyeshilian

levonyeshilian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Location:scientists say brush before,after&between the meals
  • Interests:rock'n rollllllllllll and playing guitar

Posted 19 February 2001 - 10:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
Let's be miserable together a least you know what it was all about then you were torn away!

Hey, Lev, tigrannes and I, why don't we run away to California, and we can visit Pilafhead, and everybody, go to church, go to the beach, and everything!

and listen 'Dream of Californiiicaatiioooonnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!'

#7 TigrannesIII

TigrannesIII

Riko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 19 February 2001 - 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by levonyeshilian:
and listen 'Dream of Californiiicaatiioooonnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!'

That song stinks, you want 'California Love'

[ February 19, 2001: Message edited by: TigrannesIII ]

#8 LISA

LISA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:SPORTS, WORKING OUT, MOVIES.

Posted 19 February 2001 - 10:33 AM

Why do I have to live in Canadahhhh!

I have been to Cali - it's beautiful and not freezing like it is here. (BRRR!)

#9 shiner

shiner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 February 2001 - 12:36 AM

quote:
Hi,
I'd like to know when did Armenians started to settle down in California....and why especially there......

I think the first Armenians to settle in California in the early 1900's went to Fresno because it was a great agricultural community. I guess this is what they were used to doing back home.

#10 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 20 February 2001 - 12:45 AM

I think there have three major early waves of Armenians to US. The people from the peasant class have moved to Fresno, the ones from the manufacturing class have moved to Detroit, and the intelligentsia has moved to Massachusetts. Obviously this is not a rule written on the stone, but it seems to me as an accurate description by in large.

#11 edg

edg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Little bit of everything

Posted 19 February 2001 - 08:05 PM

quote:
Hi,

Levon jan, Armenians setteled in California because it is the place to be. I used to live in California but I had to move out because of family reasons. But everytime I visit California I feel like I am visiting my home. I hope to move back in couple months.

#12 Pilafhead

Pilafhead

Music Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Music, Family, Music, Food, Music, Beer, Music

Posted 19 February 2001 - 08:42 PM

I read one time that climate-wise, Fresno was close to the "old country." That may have brought an initial group to California.

Otherwise, I think Armenians came to California like everyone did (and continue to!). Supposedly, the nice weather other Americans see on TV during the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl every year cause X number to move here.

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
The people from the peasant class have moved to Fresno, the ones from the manufacturing class have moved to Detroit, and the intelligentsia has moved to Massachusetts.

Were the ones that came early (i.e., late 1890's to pre-1915) primarily the wealthier ones that could afford to pay for the trip?

[ February 19, 2001: Message edited by: Pilafhead ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users