Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Good find Arpa Papik :)

#3 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

She (along with others) also performed at the Cafesjian Center's Sayat Nova program:

Here in Los Angeles, there's a "cultural critic" named Stepan Partamian who's always going on about how we shouldn't promote Sayat-Nova because his music isn't "purely" Armenian. I'm glad people in Armenia are paying no attention to him.

#4 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Thank you for the video.

Here in Los Angeles, there's a "cultural critic" named Stepan Partamian who's always going on about how we shouldn't promote Sayat-Nova because his music isn't "purely" Armenian. I'm glad people in Armenia are paying no attention to him.

His name was Aroutin, Artin, Harutiun
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sayat-Nova

Sayat-Nova (Armenian: Սայաթ-Նովա) (born as Harutyun Sayatyan (Armenian: Հարություն Սայադյան on 14 June 1712, Tiflis – died 22 September 1795, Haghpat), was an Armenian[1] poet, musician and ashik who had compositions in a number of languages. His adopted name Sayat Nova meant "Master of Songs" in Persian.

SAYAD =From Arabian sayyad "hunter". Sayat is one of thee forms of this name (Sayat-Nova). The corresponding surname is Sayadyan.

Or is it from the Arabic Sayyed=sir, lord?
====
Off topic?
This is a whole separate rotten can of worms that we have discussed numerous times’ Please ask him if Stepan is an Armenian name? Which part of Stepan Demrji-(ian) is Armenian?

STEPAN =Greek name Stefanos "wreath"** which is in use since IV c. till now in the forms Stepanos, Stepaneh, Stepan, Tepan, Tepo. The corresponding surnames are Stepanyan, Tepanyan and Tepoyan.

**Wreath- psak.
This brings us to that most gloriously popular name RAFFI. Nowadays every other boy is name so.
. See # 165 here
http://hyeforum.com/...160#entry288392
To not forge4t my most “favorite” girls’ name that every other girl in Yerevan is named.
If Armenians had brains they would be really dangerous.

LILITH =Is a new name, which came from A. Isahakyan's "Lilit" legend, according to which Lilit was the first woman, created by God from flame. It is in use now.

PS. Is Cafesji-(ian) Armenian?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users