66 replies to this topic

#61 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Feb 11 2005, 03:00 PM)
glad you noted this...this is the point, in the west nobody cares anymore about accesorizing etc...simple jeans and a top is sufficient enough.

By saying the West do you only mean the US?

#62 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Feb 11 2005, 03:45 PM)
if something is mediocre I am going to call it mediocre without the regards if it pertains to Armenian, Georgian or American culture.

I agree with you! However, I would appreciated if you could elaborate and explain what makes them "mediocre?" The choice of fabrics, the choice/mix of colors, the cuts, the style, the workmanship etc. etc?
Can you please provide a list of fashion designers that you appreciate? Thanks!

As a reference, I have provided - repeated below - a list of non-Armenian designers that I appreciate.
- Galliano
- Christian Lacroix
- JP Gaultier
- Issey Miyake
- Junko Shimada

I have also provided a list - repeated below - of Armenian designers that I find talented:
- Avetisian Syuzi
- Dudukchian Inga
- Manukian Yulia
- Sharbatyan Arthur
- Stepanyan Margarita

I'm looking forward for your list! smile.gif
Let's compare!

It's not mocking as much as criticism and that always helps to improve things.

For the record: I don't think you mocked the Armenian designers. I did not use the words in reference to your criticism!

I checked out some photos from New York's fashion week today and some designers were equally bad as some of the Armenian ones but of course some were fascinating.

Please provide names/references. Thanks!

All I am saying that we should not make ourselves feel better by not criticising something that needs improvement just because it's Armenian.

I believe that most - if not all - members of this forum would agree with you!

#63 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

I am glad I am the controversy lady today smile.gif

Kai Milla (I just saw the photos of her work today on NY fashion week)
Oscar de la Renta
Valentino
Yohji Yamamoto
Vera Wang

what I don't see in the Armenian designers is a level of sophistication, it's a mixture of things, differs from one designer to another. But most of all, I don't accept the apologetic attitude of "oh we should be satisfied that at least we have that". No, I want to see at least ONE designer from Armenia (not a diasporic one) representing the country out there on the big stage. Can we make this happen?

#64 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Sulamita @ Feb 11 2005, 02:47 PM)
This is definitely a good thing in my book.
Hmmmm ... creepy.  I'm not sure how you would distinguish the Turkish made clothes unless you approached people and checked labels.  And please be reminded of this thread ---- Click
Yes.  They don't have pot bellies hanging out of their 2-sizes-too-small-low-cut- jeans.
Are we talking about Erevan or some remote village?
IMP there is a salient difference between Northern American fashion and European.  Armenia is taking after Europe, not the US.  I have seen this first hand as I have vacationed in Europe on my way to Erevan.  The fashion trends reach Armenia (and the surrounding area) way before they come to this side of the world.  But even then, they get "Americanized" and turn to poo-poo.

Note: Majority of the city-girls in Armenia have an amazing sence of style and fashion.  They know how to dress, accessorize, style their hair and most importantly they know the art of body posture and feminine conduct.

Aneta, I agree with all your comments here.

I found that women in general dress much nicer in Yerevan than in LA. Maybe only in SOHO and Manhattan you will find young(20-30) year olds dressed nicer in the states. BTW: This is also true of many European cities.

And yes the US is 1 year behind fashion trends of Europe while the same fashions get to Yerevan within few weeks

#65 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 11 2005, 06:27 PM)
Aneta, I agree with all your comments here.

I found that women in general dress much nicer in Yerevan than in LA.  Maybe only in SOHO and Manhattan you will find young(20-30) year olds dressed nicer in the states.  BTW: This is also true of many European cities.

And yes the US is 1 year behind fashion trends of Europe while the same fashions get to Yerevan within few weeks

SOHO is IN Manhattan

#66 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:31 PM

i know. I should have said certain sections of Manhattan

#67 Siamanto

Siamanto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (kakachik77 @ Feb 11 2005, 05:29 PM)
I am glad I am the controversy lady today smile.gif

Instead of picturing yourself in the corner, consider being the center of attention! A different perspective! smile.gif

Kai Milla (I just saw the photos of her work today on NY fashion week)
Oscar de la Renta
Valentino
Yohji Yamamoto
Vera Wang

Thanks!
(Note: in what follows, I'm basing my appreciation mainly on Fall Collections. It's more difficult to be creative with Spring Collections.)

1 Kai Milla
I did not enough free pictures of her work; so I can't express an opinion!

2 Oscar de la Renta
I agree that he's an accomplished, creative and daring professional. Overall, I liked the Fall 2005 Collection.
http://www.newyorkme...ardelarenta.htm
What I don't like in him is of subjective nature i.e. taste. I don't like:
- use of "paillettes" (those shiny little things!)
- detailed "arabesque!" embroidery
- laces
- shiny fabrics
- American style gowns - but I like the gowns with "curtain fabric!" The ones with flowers painted
Overall, I like the choice of fabrics and colors.

-Valentino
I found his work a bit mediocre: both Women and Men Collections.
For instance, check the Fall 2003 Collection at
http://www.newyorkme...s/valentino.htm

- Yohji Yamamoto
Dod not care much for his Women Collection - with the exception of one or two black ones.
I prefer his Men Collection. Personally, I would consider wearing some of his Men Collection.
http://men.style.com...ete/thumb/YYMEN
Overall, I enjoy his contemporary minimalist taste!

- Vera Wang
I prefer her work to Oscar de la Renta's.
I enjoy the minimalism, the simple cuts and the mixture and nature of the colors she uses! Please allow me to sound prejudiced and say: "after all, she's of Chinese
background and de la Renta Latino!"
Fall 2005 Collection at
http://www.newyorkme...os/verawang.htm

I also like more creative fashion Collections where the designer dares to "paint and sculpt!"
Check Galliano's 2004 Fall Collection at
http://www.newyorkme...s/johngalliano/
and
http://fashionfile.c...hnGalliano.html

Needless to say that this is not everyday wear, but Haute Couture.

I'll try to find some old Lacroix. The best I could find is
Fall 2002 Collection.
http://fashionfile.c...ianLacroix.html

what I don't see in the Armenian designers is a level of sophistication, it's a mixture of things, differs from one designer to another.

Can you please elaborate? Thanks!
What you think of the following?
- Avetisian Syuzi
- Dudukchian Inga
- Manukian Yulia
- Sharbatyan Arthur
- Stepanyan Margarita

But most of all, I don't accept the apologetic attitude of "oh we should be satisfied that at least we have that". No, I want to see at least ONE designer from Armenia (not a diasporic one) representing the country out there on the big stage. Can we make this happen?

We already agreed that the fact that they're Armenian is not a sufficient reason to praise their work. However, you should not be harsher on them only because you are proud of your ancestry and would like to see them shine! smile.gif

Personally, I view the works displayed at fashion.am as prototypes; they are not finished works!
Like any other prototype, they are poorly manufactured, they are not polished, they are poorly presented and "packaged."
They are simply proof of concept, and I am impressed by some of the concepts!
It will take some time, exposure, maturity and funds before they will be able to export their work.
On the bright side, the most valuable element in a creation is the vision, the inspiration, the dream; the rest is only a matter of time, effort and money!

Edited by Siamanto, 12 February 2005 - 07:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users