22 replies to this topic

#1 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:37 PM

I do envy other ethnic groups like Italians or Chineese, they give their businesses to their own kind and prosper whereas not all Armenians give their businesses to Armenians when possible.
I have lots of reasons as to why Armenians don't give their business to an Armenian and at the same time Armenian businesses don't want Armenians to be their customers. I'll give only one example of each and let you give the rest and what can be done to change this.
Armenian business owners point: Any Armenian walks into their shop expects to get high discount for being Armenian and yet same people go to other shops and pay the asking price with no arguments and thank the owner for a good service.
Armenian customers point: If you go to an Armenian business they think you're asking for a big discount, willing to pay full price yet they ignore you and make you unwelcome in their shop. But they show respect to others.

Why not give your business to an Armenian and I hope that Armenian businesses show the same respect to their Armenian customers. If we can change few minds in this regard it will be a success.

#2 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:54 AM

in LA it is not like that. at least from a consumer standpoint most shopping is done with Armenians and no bargaining

#3 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,716 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(Azat @ Apr 21 2006, 11:54 AM)  
in LA it is not like that. at least from a consumer standpoint most shopping is done with Armenians and no bargaining

I guess dense Armenian population in LA might somewhat minimize this symptom and make it invisible.

#4 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

yes, my family always prefers Armenian stores to "American" stores, they drive the extra mile for them too - from Glendale to some store in Sunland (anybody know what this is?)

#5 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Apr 21 2006, 12:56 PM)  
yes, my family always prefers Armenian stores to "American" stores, they drive the extra mile for them too - from Glendale to some store in Sunland (anybody know what this is?)

I know about a store in Sun Valley that's called Sunland but I don't think it's Armenian it's Arabian.

#6 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:54 PM

I don't notice this either Yervant. The Armenian population here in Houston is very small, yet my family (and anyone else I know) buys their special commodities only from a shop owned by an Armenian. They would rather drive a little more than give their business to, say, a Lebanese store.

#7 Vanetsi

Vanetsi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ Apr 21 2006, 03:54 PM)  
I don't notice this either Yervant. The Armenian population here in Houston is very small, yet my family (and anyone else I know) buys their special commodities only from a shop owned by an Armenian. They would rather drive a little more than give their business to, say, a Lebanese store.

Zartonk jan, everyone and their mother (literally) buys their special commodities (why does it sound like we're talking about drugs----we're not lookaround.gif ) from the said store, Phoenicia. Its the largest imported-foods provider in Houston, and is really the only choice in terms of where to get your imported goods, other than a few small specialty stores.

#8 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,716 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:11 PM

Guys I mean all kinds of businesses, not only food business.
For example Body shop, Mechanic, Real Estate Agent, Lawyer, Plummer and so on.
Of course I'm not talking about very small communities or very large but about average ones.

#9 rostom

rostom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

I must concur with Yervant when it comes to the business owner's perspective. I have spoken to Armenian business owners who feel that taking on non-Armenian business is much easier because of the fact that there is no haggling and price lowering involved.

From a customer's perspective (mine), I don't think an Armenian consumer going to an Armenian business is looking for a discount because he shares the fact of being Armenian with the owner. Rather, it is knowing that the item can be sold for less. It is knowing that well established non-Armenian businesses charge 2-4x what something cost them because they have to account for so many factors in doing business (i.e. returns, specifically ones that can't even be returned to the manufacturer but yet they follow the 'customer is always right' ideology and take it back, complimentary give-aways because a customer complained, etc.). But in an Armenian store you don't have the same sort of customer service. Good luck yelling like hell and making a scene in a store and expect to get your item returned if you've used it (sometimes even if you haven't used it). So it is knowing the fact that the seller can, and will, sell for less that consumers expect Armenian businesses to compromise on the printed price.

#10 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(ExtraHye @ Apr 21 2006, 02:42 PM)  
I know about a store in Sun Valley that's called Sunland but I don't think it's Armenian it's Arabian.

wow...this was funny....they have been misinformed

#11 ddd

ddd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

I buy from Armenian stores all the time, and use Armenian services. But most of the time it's not because they're Armenian, but instead because of superior service/products.

Edited by ddd, 09 May 2006 - 12:25 PM.

#12 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:23 PM

"i almost always deal with armenian establishments... oh wait... i live in armenia..."

Edited by Harut, 09 May 2006 - 08:23 PM.

#13 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

i would never exchange my armenian barber for any freaking salon or any other ethnic or non-ethnic barber shop... even if i have to wait to fly to LA to get a haircut...

#14 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

i would never exchange my armenian barber for any freaking salon

Man, I'll have to second that Harut. No one should cut the hair of an Armenian man except an Armenian man.

Since I moved here, my haircuts look Asian and so-so.

Edited by Zartonk, 10 May 2006 - 09:24 AM.

#15 Vartan Mamigonian

Vartan Mamigonian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Apr 21 2006, 12:37 AM)  
I do envy other ethnic groups like Italians or Chineese, they give their businesses to their own kind and prosper whereas not all Armenians give their businesses to Armenians when possible.

Confucius says: "No such thing as Chineese ethnic group."

#16 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

My first preference in USA is Armenian business. It has proven superb to anything else I tried (and I tried a lot of others). However, I would only trust a serious establishment. My only bad luck was years ago with an auto-mechanic. smile.gif

#17 Mindtrap

Mindtrap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:18 AM

I can only speak of the Armenian population here in Los Angeles, however a good portion of our money is spent in Armenian owned businesses. Obviously people do shop at chain super markets and other ethnic stores and it all comes down to convenience. IF you have the time, money, and self motivation you go to the Armenian owned business, if not you go to Vons, Macy’s and other corporate companies.

On the flip side, many Armenian owned businesses have gained negative publicity and reputations. Some through personally conduct, and some get labeled with negativity due to the fact that they are Armenian owned.

We also see this new trend of first generation Armenians and our youth (including myself) who spend minimal time and money in Armenian owned businesses and take our money else where. This is due partly to growing up here and popular culture as well as assimilating to our surroundings.

#18 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

Only if Armenians would learn the definition of “captive audience", and learn that the mere fact that their stores are labeled Ararat, Masis, or any other -ian name, with no quality and customer service is a guarantee of business. It reminds one of the vulgar saying; "@s varunk, kouzes ker, kouzes mi uter."
Well! There are other businesses that may have better "varunks".
At high school, at one time Movses (hi MosJan) managed the sandwich shop. Every day we would ask; “Movses, huumus@ lav e“? He would snswer, in equally good humor; “Tso apush, yete lav @llar yes kouteyi" . Of course, it was good, since his mother had prepared it the night before.
Haykakan e patvakan e?
Show us!
Is that why I shop at general stores with the same day tomatoes than at so called Armenian stores with ten day old "lkhkats loliks"?
Lest we get carried away. There still are good Armenian businesses, like that vegetable store in Watertown, Mass., whose vegetables are the freshest and the best.
oops.gif
I just searched an learned that that Kay's Fruit Market in Watertown, mentioned above had just closed and vacated the premises.
Sad! msn-cry.gif msn-cry.gif
Is it because we have become too soft to wake up at 2AM, go to the farmers' market to buy the day's fresh produce, and rather shop at Stop & Shop, or Shaw's, formerly known as "mkrtichian" Mugar's Star Market?
For every seller there is a buyer, and when the seller does not meet the standards of the buyer, that buyer will find another seller.

Edited by Arpa, 07 September 2007 - 06:18 AM.

#19 Mindtrap

Mindtrap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:54 PM

Arpa, the markets here in Los Angeles are good quality for the most part. I'm sure there are some who sacrafice quality for profits, but in general the produce and other items in Armenian stores are of good quality equal to corperate chains and costs less becuase they have less overhead and other expenses. Some have mostly Armenian based clients but others have a wide range of clientale. I know of a pastry store down the street that is Armenian owned but I see and equall amount of non Armenians there as I do Armenian. Im glad weve learend and moved forward in this country, it truly makes be feel proud to say Armenian are a very successful people. biggrin.gif

#20 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Apr 20 2006, 09:37 PM)
I have lots of reasons as to why Armenians don't give their business to an Armenian and at the same time Armenian businesses don't want Armenians to be their customers. I'll give only one example of each and let you give the rest and what can be done to change this.
Armenian business owners point: Any Armenian walks into their shop expects to get high discount for being Armenian and yet same people go to other shops and pay the asking price with no arguments and thank the owner for a good service.
Armenian customers point: If you go to an Armenian business they think you're asking for a big discount, willing to pay full price yet they ignore you and make you unwelcome in their shop. But they show respect to others.

Why not give your business to an Armenian and I hope that Armenian businesses show the same respect to their Armenian customers. If we can change few minds in this regard it will be a success.

I think that it's common for Armenians and people from Middle East to do "Bazar" kind of business. For example, I prefer to do business with Armenian suppliers, but I noticed that the quality of their products are poor. The reason is competition I guess. Since everybody wants a bargain price, then the supplier has no other choice but to get cheap products, which then will scare away other clients who rather get better products for the right price. I think I'm going to tell my supplier my thoughts, but I may expect him to say "I am not looking for business partners..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users