• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:45 PM

this is a great piece of work..if i have enough time..i will post the whole essay....and offer some personal interpretation as well as some insight about gender roleing and gender identity....im sure you guys will love this!1 just check out her essay entitled "the female body" by margaret atwood

#2 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:48 PM

http://www.vipe.org/female.htm

theres the link to the text...its great..i just read it today..and am writing an analytical essay about it

Edited by angel4hope, 03 February 2004 - 10:49 PM.

#3 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:58 PM

Didn't she write "the handmaids tale"? ..that was made into a mini seris or some such a few years back? Its theme was fundementalist take over the US..lus the sterility of folks requirring "handmaids" as sexual surrogates...etc - very interestingpremiss and was quire goodin general...Robert Duvall if I'm not mistaken was in it..

#4 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:00 PM

yess i believe youre right....but i havent seen or read it...to be honest..this is the first time i have been introduced to her work..im liking it so far...good for analytical purposes and she has great literary tools in use...

#5 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:09 PM

Her site is great BTW - I have just been scanning through it...but i immagine that our resident (anti-femisit) mouse would have a real problem with it...just on principle...(and because...well...if you don't know by now you should...anyway...)

#6 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:11 PM

well im not a radical feminist or a femmenist per se...just like the way she expresses her thoughts in general

#7 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:12 PM

You don't need to be anything Angel...just stick up for yourself as a human being that's all - and don't ever settle for less...

#8 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:13 PM

wow thanx thoth..thats really cool of you to say.... smile.gif

#9 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:50 PM

titles like this are strange i think!! almost as strange as people who've never been in love or loved or known what it is like to be loved and to lose who sit down and 'romanticize' about these "ideas"...some things were meant to be lived through!!! can't sit down and write about such things..oh "female body"... i don't know this particular work but sounds like someone who has too much time on their hands or has been deprived of the (female) body!!!---love and romance and dying for one's country and all those kinds of 'romantic' ideas can only fully be understood by living and suffering through them and if you're lucky, come out with something good in the end... just can't 'learn' everything from books and reading!! duh!!

#10 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Feb 3 2004, 10:48 PM)
http://www.vipe.org/female.htm

theres the link to the text...its great..i just read it today..and am writing an analytical essay about it

LOL, angel jan, kaghtser, after the first 20 words that i could barely even read.. i stopped reading it.. LOL.. can you summerize that article with your intuition,, i loe your side of the story wink.gif

#11 gevo27

gevo27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:29 AM

Oh, there is just one thing i have to say about the female body.. well 2..

Perfection like the female body did not evolve.. lol..

And the female body must be respected both by the owners of that body, and those of the opposite sex. A view which is at the bottom of the pithole and filled over with a few hundred tons of dirt.. but nonetheless it is a view which i think shows real capabilities of that human being... A The female body is beautiful, yet in the eyes of males, its a machine to lust over and daydream about.. WAKE UP!!!!!!!

I dont even know if this was off topic, just my 2 1/2 cents about it.. wink.gif

#12 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:40 AM

BTW Angel I pretty much just read that whole site and enjoyed it emensly...thanks so much for the link...

And don't knowif this is off topic (or in bad taste...sorry of soem think so) but another one from the Onion that hadme crackign up..and yes I do se that it is related ina sense...

http://www.theonion....5/opinion1.html

#13 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:43 AM

bruin i suggest you read the essay before you go on commenting...its not even about love or attraction or relationships...its about gender roleing and stereotypes...i hate this about the forum...u post something and people have 2 bash you...criticism is great..but y u got2get personal?? "someone whose never been in love.." how do you know??.......

#14 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Feb 3 2004, 11:43 PM)
bruin i suggest you read the essay before you go on commenting...its not even about love or attraction or relationships...its about gender roleing and stereotypes...i hate this about the forum...u post something and people have 2 bash you...criticism is great..but y u got2get personal?? "someone whose never been in love.." how do you know??.......

i wasn't bashing nor was i talking about you!! did you write the article? no! i was talking generally about poets and novelists ... sorry if you took it personally...and well, that's my opinion the title is not very inviting..sounds lame to me... sad.gif maybe you can give a quick summary of what it's sayin wink.gif

#15 gevo27

gevo27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Feb 4 2004, 12:43 AM)

DONT WORRY BE HAPPY>> PLEASEEEEEEEE msn-cry.gif msn-cry.gif msn-cry.gif msn-cry.gif msn-cry.gif

#16 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Feb 3 2004, 10:40 PM)
BTW Angel I pretty much just read that whole site and enjoyed it emensly...thanks so much for the link...

Same here Angel. I was reading the whole site (and other sites posted there) the whole evening. I even emailed it to my friend. Thank you for posting it. smile.gif

Oh, and "The Female Body" is truly a great work. So original and so true.

#17 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 02:11 AM

The male body is refrigerator shaped. We are the rectangle people!

#18 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (hyebruin @ Feb 3 2004, 11:08 PM)
i was talking generally about poets and novelists ... sorry if you took it personally...and well, that's my opinion the title is not very inviting..sounds lame to me... sad.gif maybe you can give a quick summary of what it's sayin wink.gif

Hyebruin, I'm just curious, did you read the essay. The way you responded seems like you haven't. If you haven't, how can you criticize it in the first place?

#19 angel4hope

angel4hope

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:44 AM

oops my bad bruin...all apologies...im sorry if i misinterpreted your post...coolio? wink.gif wink.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#20 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Feb 4 2004, 02:06 AM)
Hyebruin, I'm just curious, did you read the essay. The way you responded seems like you haven't. If you haven't, how can you criticize it in the first place?

you're right i haven't....but like i said the title sounds lame...maybe the content isn't hence i asked for a quick summary...don't mean to be lazy but i don't have time to read it right now! wink.gif ---don't you need a good catchy title to get people interested in it?---even if it said the "the male body" i wouldn't have jumped....wellll....maybe!! rolleyes.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users