ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:literature

Posted 10 June 2001 - 06:51 AM

A TALE OF TWO CITIES
Cambridge is a small Canadian city about 6 miles from where I live. There is an Armenian community center there and next to it a Muslim community center. I have been there many times and I have never witnessed a single act of mutual hostility, perhaps because we have laws here that penalize anyone who decides not only to entertain intolerant sentiments but to act on them.
After a visit to Buenos Aires, a friend of mine (a Canadian diplomat) informed me that that there are two Armenian community centers there built side by side and separated by a single wall; and it is not unusual for kids playing on each side of the wall to throw stones at one another. What this tells me is that these children have been indoctrinated by partisan activists or schoolteachers who are no better than Christian Turks -- but since Christianity stands for tolerance, compassion, mercy, and love – or rather, more Turk than Christian.

Moral: The most important ingredient in a culture or that which defines a nation’s character is not music, literature, architecture, cuisine, traditions, folk dances, etc., but that ensemble of laws that shape and control human conduct. In that sense, in the Diaspora we are products of Ottoman laws, and in the Homeland products of Soviet laws. In us the Sultan and Stalin speak louder than Mashdots, Naregatsi or any other Armenian you care to mention.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2001 - 07:06 AM

If Canada is such a nice country we should all think about migrating to Canada.

I am serious about it...

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2001 - 07:20 AM

If the rights of everyone in Canada is respected then tell me why the francophones want to secede from Canada. Obviously there is something which doesn't work...May be their are deprived of some rights and feel frustrated under the anglophone domination. May be Canada is not as perfect as you claim it to be.

#4 Berj

Berj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 10 June 2001 - 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ara baliozian:
A TALE OF TWO CITIES
In us the Sultan and Stalin speak louder than Mashdots, Naregatsi or any other Armenian you care to mention.

Off this topic, money and greed speak in the human being louder than anything else. And according to General McArthur, this planet can survive only if the problem of human greed will be given a theological, spiritual answer. By saying theological or spiritual I don't think he ment bishops.

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Berj ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users