9 replies to this topic

#1 flyhye

flyhye

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

I am trying to type in Armenian using an Armenian font from the site I linked to bellow, but I am having trouble.
I downloaded the font and moved it to Windows/Fonts. I enabled Regional and Language Options for Armenian and installed keyboard layout.
I restarted and everything.
After selecting the font I want to type in Word automatically switches to Sylfaen. The font is Armenian but it is not the one I want.

I am using Windows XP but have access to Vista. I have to try Vista to see if it works.

I did all of this from Microsoft page
About creating a Georgian or Armenian document

I am trying to type using the font face ArTarumian Govazd from:
http://www.armsite.com/software/

thank you

#2 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

Fly jan, does it have to be the ArTarumian?, try this, go to ArmenianPoetry.com on the right upper corner you will see a section download fonts... download them install them and you should be able to use Armenian fonts on word!

#3 Sarkis11

Sarkis11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (flyhye @ Jan 11 2008, 09:35 PM)
I am trying to type in Armenian using an Armenian font from the site I linked to bellow, but I am having trouble.
I downloaded the font and moved it to Windows/Fonts. I enabled Regional and Language Options for Armenian and installed keyboard layout.
I restarted and everything.
After selecting the font I want to type in Word automatically switches to Sylfaen. The font is Armenian but it is not the one I want.

I am using Windows XP but have access to Vista. I have to try Vista to see if it works.

I did all of this from Microsoft page
About creating a Georgian or Armenian document

I am trying to type using the font face ArTarumian Govazd from:
http://www.armsite.com/software/

thank you
Dear FlyHye,

You are trying to use an Armscii-8 with a Unicode keyboard. The keyboard definition file in Windows is for Unicode. For Tarumian fonts or any other Armscii-8 font, you need to use the NLS 2.0 keyboard. The problem is, that everything is changing to Unicode and you want to use the older standard which is incompatible with a lot of other fonts and is incompatible with Macintosh. That means you will be writing something that soon nobody else will be able to read, except those who have Armscii-8 from the old days.

I recommend that you switch to Unicode, the earlier the better. There are a lot of free Unicode fonts available at different Web sites, and you can make any keyboard layout you like with the available free tools, both with KDWIN and with the Microsoft tools. There are also similar tools for the Mac System X.

By the way, if you decide to switch to Unicode, all the existing writings you may already have in Armscii-8 can be easily converted to Unicode.

Բարեւներ՝

Սարգիս

(for some reason, this web site has a strange font, that makes the Armenian "r" bigger than the rest of the letters. I wonder if it could be fixed).

#4 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

Բարևներ Սարգիս ջան...

Sarkis I think it's perfect, the letters look just fine to me!!!

Edited by Ashot, 27 March 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#5 Sarkis11

Sarkis11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Mar 27 2008, 03:48 PM)
Բարևներ Սարգիս ջան...

Sarkis I think it's perfect, the letters look just fine to me!!!
Yes, Ashot, you are right, I think it is a problem with my computer, because when I access the forum from my desktop computer at home, they look fine, all in a nice Sylfaen font. However, when I access the forum from my Toshiba laptop, the Armenian "r" appears much bigger, and I found out that it is in Verdana font, while the rest of the text is in Sylfaen. I just found this out now. I had never accessed the forum from home, from my desktop computer; it had been always from my laptop away from home and I had always seen the problem I described. I don't know whether it is a problem of the operating system, because at home I have Windows XP, but in my laptop I have Vista.

Բարեւներ՝

Սարգիս

#6 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Բարեվ Սարգիս

I have the same exact issue, For some reason Vista makes "ր" extra big and bold. but no issues in windows xp.

#7 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

have you guys tried other fonts? Avo I am still curious if you ever tried to get the fonts from ArmenianPoetry.com... up on the right upper corner there is 3 different types, try to install all 3 of them on Vista see if it will help!!! I surely hope they will, because on my vista it works just as fine as on my xp!!!

#8 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:19 AM

Ashot jan that was for a different computer, It didn't work. As a matter of fact I downloaded the Kdwin progrom, which now lets me to type in Armenian, but I still see ???? marks if someone else writes something.

As for Vista I just downloaded the full file from www.Aremenianpoetry.com, but still no luck.

#9 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:51 AM

gotta restart the computer, also there is a set of fonts that you would need to manually put from temp folder to the font folder!!! check if everything is properly set up... computer restart is a must!!!

#10 chelovek84

chelovek84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

KDWIN-ը արդեն պաշտոնական կայք ունի kdwin.ru։
Ցավոք կայքը ռուսերեն է։ Բոլոր դեպքերում այս download հղումով կարող եք առանց ռուսերեն իմանալու էլ անմիջապես բեռնել KDWIN-ը։
MacOSX օգտագործողներին ցավոք չեմ կարող օգնել։

Edited by chelovek84, 03 February 2012 - 12:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users