Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:36 AM

RELIGIOUS MINORITY FACES DISCRIMINATION IN ARMENIA

Jehovah's Witnesses in Armenia face discrimination and imprisonment because of their beliefs, according to a new Amnesty International report.

Many young men in the religious organization are jailed because their faith prohibits them from doing military service, while others have been attacked - including allegedly by supporters of the country's dominant religious group.

"Young male Jehovah’s Witnesses continue to be imprisoned. Since there is no alternative civilian service in Armenia, Amnesty International considers them prisoners of conscience and calls for their immediate and unconditional release," said Laurence Broers, Amnesty International's researcher on Armenia.

There are an estimated 9,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses in Armenia. They have been subjected to an apparently increasing number of attacks since they gained more prominence in 2004, following their registration as a religious organization (after a series of rejections). Amnesty International is concerned at the authorities' reported failure to fully investigate and prosecute these clear human rights abuses.

The violence has coincided with increased friction with the Armenian Apostolic Church, to which around 90 per cent of the population formally belongs.

"The Armenian authorities are ignoring the fact that Jehovah's Witnesses are specifically targeted for attacks, including allegedly by representatives of the Armenian Apostolic Church," said Laurence Broers.

As a Council of Europe member, Armenia is obliged to provide a genuinely civilian alternative to compulsory military service. But Armenia’s alternative service is still under the control of the military, making it incompatible with the beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses and others. As of 26 September 2007, there were 82 Jehovah's Witnesses imprisoned as conscientious objectors in Armenia.

"All those wrongly imprisoned must be released immediately and receive adequate compensation. The Armenian authorities must also ensure that they are not denied documents necessary for them to enjoy full rights as civilians – including the right to freedom of movement and the rights to entry into public sector employment or marriage," Laurence Broers said.

Gndakaharela petq drants vor chen uzum tsarayen u gnu eovai vkayen kaynum, ases te vontsvor vkayutsyunen tvel eovain...

#2 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:40 AM

THERE IS NO RELIGIOUS DISCRIMINATION IN ARMENIA

“Armenia does not follow a deliberate religious policy and does not sow enmity or intolerance among religious minorities. And yet, public panic is felt towards some religious groups with regard to their preaching mechanisms and behaviour,” Hranush Kharatian, Adviser to the RA Prime Minister on National Minorities and Religious Issues told A1+ while commenting on the recent report of Amnesty International.

To remind, Amnesty International reported today that Jehovah's Witnesses face discrimination and imprisonment in Armenia because of their beliefs. Many young men in the religious organization are jailed because their faith prohibits them from doing military service, while others have been attacked - including allegedly by supporters of the country's dominant religious group.

Mrs. Kharatian states that the society is ill-disposed towards Jehovah's Witnesses. The negative attitude is perceived at every step. For example, “One Nation” Organisation constantly distributes flyers, conducts actions and urges people to “beware of Jehovah's Witnesses.”

“We cannot name it a religious discrimination as they neither instigate aggression nor take tough measures against Jehovah's Witnesses. Their step cannot be viewed as a call for intolerance,” Hranush Kharatian adds.

“I would like to note that very often citizens complain of Jehovah's Witnesses who visit them and get on their nerves with their preaching.

Amnesty International had better depict the situation in a balanced way,” Mrs Kharatian says.

“Armenia provides a genuinely civilian alternative to compulsory military service. Two types of alternative service are suggested-working military and civilian. Only 19-21 Jehovah's Witnesses have chosen this service.

Shortly afterwards, they announced that the service contradicts their principle to deny military service. Jehovah's Witnesses don't want to have any ties with Military Commissariat or the Ministry of Defense.

The Armenian authorities do not pursue Jehovah’s Witnesses. The matter is under the control of the Defense Ministry as the latter recruits young men to serve in the army and cares for their health if they fall ill.

None of Jehovah's Witnesses has applied for alternative service over the past few years. If they avoid alternative service they are detained and considered deserters.”

Mrs. Kharatian states that the “Law on Alternative Military Service” functions well in Armenia. Jehovah's Witnesses simply avoid service.

www.a1plus.am

#3 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

How did Jehovah's fanatics reach Armenia? I am very much against any personal persecution, but I can't say that I don't feel slightly giddy inside when I hear that those lunatics are pushed around a bit.

#4 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,592 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Anileve @ Jan 17 2008, 01:16 PM)
How did Jehovah's fanatics reach Armenia? I am very much against any personal persecution, but I can't say that I don't feel slightly giddy inside when I hear that those lunatics are pushed around a bit.

the first JW made it to Armenia in 1989 during the Leninakan Earthquake

#5 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Jan 17 2008, 04:43 PM)
the first JW made it to Armenia in 1989 during the Leninakan Earthquake

It's scary and funny at the same time. How is it that there is all of a sudden an influx of lions in this forum?

#6 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

Can't explain but you are more welcome to join the family!!!

#7 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

Its a conspiracy to mingle with the pure race of bears...smile.gif

#8 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,592 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (Zartonk @ Jan 17 2008, 08:13 PM)
Its a conspiracy to mingle with the pure race of bears... smile.gif

all we have is one bear Zartonq jan smile.gif n@mushi hamar

#9 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Jan 18 2008, 01:43 AM)
all we have is one bear Zartonq jan smile.gif n@mushi hamar

Not really one Bear out in the open, the rest are all undercover. wink.gif biggrin.gif

#10 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Yervanti hoqin xorna - steghen asum znachit unevo tam gnezdo!!!

#11 DannyHaszard

DannyHaszard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Anileve @ Jan 17 2008, 04:16 PM)

Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs:

A) They are at your door to recruit you for enslavement to their watchtower corporation,they will say that "we are just here to share a message from the Bible" this is deception right off.

B) The 'message' is their false Gospel that Jesus is ruling in heaven already since 1914.The problem with this is it's not just a cute fairy tale,Jesus warned of the false prophets who would claim "..look he is here in the wilderness,or see here he is at the temple"

C) Their anti-blood transfusion ban has killed hundreds if not thousands
D) once they recruit you they will "love bomb" you in cult fashion to also recruit your family & friends or cut them off. There are many more dangers,Jehovah's Witnesses got a bad rap for good and valid reasons.

99% of the world has rejected the teachings of the Watchtower Jehovah’s Witnesses, the darker truth is they are a destructive and oppressive organization.--
Danny Haszard Jehovah's Witness X 33 years http://www.freeminds.org

#12 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

I strongly advise everyone not to read any articles in the above mentioned website... it could be a trap!!!

#13 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Jan 26 2008, 08:14 PM)
I strongly advise everyone not to read any articles in the above mentioned website... it could be a trap!!!

Ashot jan, in front of our eyes, we saw this "havatq" break apart mother and children from father and a son to be excluded from his father's house....

And at the wedding of one of these new witnesses the DJ played the song " Surb Sarkis" by Asatryan.. you should have witnessed the scene it created... the Uncle of the girl, who happens to be the Head of their little group went up and pulled the Dj by hs shirt.. was threatening that if he played another of the "excluded" songs he would have to stop playing altogether.. that statement he made to everybody in the hall...

The rest of the night the group of ppl at our table had a few laughs tryig to figure out which songs may have been on that "banned list". : )

#14 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:59 PM

Em jan, I would personally pull from the uncle's shirt shame him because his belief does not let him argue, fight, or engage in a hatefull conversation, and tell him to get the hell out from the restaurant before i capped something up his mouth... Personally ever time I notice a jeova witness I ask the dj to play this song - Inchi hamar banak berin, Yeovai v@kanerin, Etig vnase toqerin, Ya Znayu!!!

#15 vartanUSA

vartanUSA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Ashot @ Jan 26 2008, 11:14 PM)

I agree
JW is nothing but a brainwashing doctrine well applied systematic and methodic
They are also asking to donate all your “earthly belongings” like money car real estate to the cult since you can not take them with you to “heavens” anyway

#16 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

I have heard that for the recruitting members it's actually a way of making money...

Here is another thing I do when I see a yeovakan... I tell them to go to the forest lawn and sit there, they ask me why, I tell them because your bible says that one day all the dead will walk on the planet, so go there and greet them!!!

they get so offended lol!!!

#17 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

I don't trust the Jehova's Witnesses either. Not to fight for their country? It's good that Armenia is jailing them. Either jail them or throw them out of the country.

#18 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

The last Jehovah's witness I remember stood wide eyed in front of my doorstep as I shut the door in their face.

Simply superlative. Truly an empowering moment.

#19 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:22 PM

this summer, in yegheknadzor i was walking down a street with my cousin from ottowa that didn't speak armenian, but was trying to learn it. so she was making small talk with anyone who would walking in the street. so this woman was walking next to us, and started smiling at her..so naturally my cousin started going 'barev vonc ek' ba bla bla..
then she was responding, and asking where she was from, and i was translating.
then she started asking if 'canadayum martik havatum en Jehovayi'? at first i could not understand what she was saying, finally i understood that she was asking if there are jeohvas whitnesses in canada..and then for 10 minutes she was talking about jehova with a smile on her face that made me want to slap her...she then proceded to preach to me about jehova, to which i finally responded that i was catholic (yes it's shocking but true, one of the 10% of armenians that are) and that i didn't give a shait about jehova..

bud daaamn...the nerve..i am was so pissed..
i hate jehovas.
my mum is friends with a nun called kuir arrousiak (if you may have heard of her, she runs an orphanage in giumri, and has a jampar in dzaghkadzor)
she says that they came after the earthquake to giumri, and as they were helping, they converted people to bloody jehova. when peoples faith was at their lowest, because of soviet repression, they took advantage.
once these people came to our house (in montreal) and after a discussion on the importance of fighting for your country, i told them to go to cote-des-neiges (a borrow of montreal, which has alot of muslims, not far from where i live), and convert the muslims, because i am already christian.
but see? they are cowards..they know that the muslims will shut the door on them or kill them, so they go convert christians to their perversion of our religion.

and the army offered them non-combatant roles in the military in accordance with freedom of religion, but they did not accept because the military 'still represents violence'...
screw them..they should not even be in the country anyways.

#20 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (hosank @ Feb 10 2008, 09:22 PM)
my mum is friends with a nun called kuir arrousiak (if you may have heard of her, she runs an orphanage in giumri, and has a jampar in dzaghkadzor)
she says that they came after the earthquake to giumri, and as they were helping, they converted people to bloody jehova. when peoples faith was at their lowest, because of soviet repression, they took advantage.

I've also heard that Jehovah's Witnesses is such a successful organization in converting people because they financially support each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users