Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

ԹՈՒՄԱՆ/Touman

I had always known that “touman” was a currency denomination. ***
I didn’t know this that at one time Tuman was a personal boys’ name. It kind of explains where the family name Toumanian comes from.

http://armenian.name...=term&d=5&t=983

ԹՈՒՄԱՆ -թուրք. tuman բառից: Պարսկական դրամական միավոր է: Իբրև անձնանուն Թումանը հայերի մեջ տարածված էր 17-րդ դարից:
Սրանից է Թումանյան ազգանունը: Փաղաքշականն է Թումո, որից Թումոյան զգանունը:
TUMAN -From Turkish tuman. In Arm. it is in use since XVII c. The corresponding surname is Tumanyan, the short form is Tumo, from which the surname Tumoyan is formed.

Hogwash!!
From furkish??
My eshek!!
In that non -language it means underwear.
http://i1070.photobu...erwear__oPt.jpg
When will those yahoos in Yerevan learn that the Indo-Europian Armenian Language has nothing to do with the turkic furkish. If we were to believe what these yahoos in Yerevan tell us , they will tell us that “khach” is from furkish “hach” and Yekeghetsi is from furkish “kilisa”.
As to the word being from the furkish, see what the Armatakan has to say.

ԹՈՒՄԱՆ= բիւր տասը հազար Թաթարեն “tuman” որ անցել էՊարսկերէնին թուրքերէն “tumen”…դրամի անուն որ արժէ 10.000 դինար =հինգ ֆրանկ

He also says that some spell it as “դումանdouman”
Search and see. Among many Doumanian/Dumanian- http://drdumanian.com/
See Isahakian below.
Of course the above by Ajarian was written when there still was a Franc, deutsche Mark and Italian Lira which now are known as Eurro.
Yes, In the Armenian բիւր biur does mean 10,000.

The toman (Persian: تومان, pronounced [toˈmɒːn]), is a superunit of the official currency of Iran, the rial. Toman, derived from a Mongolian word meaning ten thousand (see tumen), was the currency of Iran until 1932. It was divided into 10,000 dinar. Between 1798 and 1825, the toman was also subdivided into 8 rial, each of 1250 dinar. In 1825, the qiran was introduced, worth 1000 dinar or one tenth of a toman.
In 1932, the rial replaced the toman at a rate of 1 toman = 10 rials (i.e., 1 rial = 1 qiran). Although the rial is the official currency of Iran, many Iranians employ the term toman in everyday transactions for an amount of 10 rials. In unofficial circumstances, a toman may also refer to either 1,000 tomans or 1,000,000 tomans. The order of the magnitude of the amount would be considered to be apparent from the context.

Below we see Avetik use the furkish word “դուման/duman” which in that non-language means “smoke” Nothing to do with “թուման/tuman”

ՍԵՒ ՄՈՒԹ ԱՄՊԵՐ
խոսք` ԱՎ. ԻՍԱՀԱԿՅԱՆԻ

Ս‘եւ-մութ ամպեր ճակտիդ դիզուան,
Դուման հագար, Ալագեա՛զ,
Սրտումս արեւ էլ չի ծաղկում
Սիրտս էլ դուման, Ալագեա՚զ։

Զաո փեշերըդ անցայ, տեսայ,
Սռանց դարդի սիրտ չը կար,
Ա՜խ, իմանաս, ջա՜ն, Ալագեազ,
Իմ դարդիս պէս դարդ չկար...

— է՛լ Մանթաշի նըխշուն հավքեր,
Իմ դարդըս որ ձերն եղներ,