Originally posted by Berj:

Naira,
The phone or what? Anyway you called first

Berj:
Ok, I'll hang up on you!
Leave me alone, capici?
Que bobo, putain? ...

Gamavor:
I would suggest as well to read my message. But it is useless, I think. You sound very determined. OK, then... go ahead! Let's see what do you want to promote!

#82 Berj

Berj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 21 June 2001 - 03:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by naira:

Berj:
Ok, I'll hang up on you!
Leave me alone, capici?
Que bobo, putain? ...

Whatever. I'll just edit the part your post about Urartu, because it's a misinformation..

#83 Berj

Berj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 04:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gamavor:

To Ali and Thorny Whatever...

Gamavor,

Some common decency would not harm.

#84 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 04:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Berj:

Whatever. I'll just edit the part your post about Urartu, because it's a misinformation..

In that case, it's better to bring some contre-arguments or any information you think is necessary to object mine, without being such an "arse-itcher" with me.
Sorry, Berj!
You seem to have more personal problems with me than with your "being" worried about the historic truth or objectiveness.

Now, let me alone. I'm saying this, again, otherwise, you'll be simply ignored. I mean it!

#85 Berj

Berj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 04:34 AM

Naira,
I'll give it in the "Surnames" thread shortly.

Watch your language.

#86 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 21 June 2001 - 05:38 AM

It seems to me that the discussions of this thread have significantly departed from its original subject. Why not to transfer the unrelated issues to a new thread?

#87 Boghos

Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 21 June 2001 - 06:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aurguplu:
dear boghos,

but i think we have to open up a new topic under a heading like "turkish nationalism" how about it?

regards,

Dear Ali,

Indeed. I will start it in International.

#88 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 21 June 2001 - 08:56 AM

It's always inevitable that topics WILL drift ! How many times have we ever seen that we are awaiting posts in a thread, talking about a subject nothing whatsoever to do with the title? I think this one MUST have drifted at least three times!

#89 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 23 June 2001 - 05:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
I have a proposal about the quarries.

If we can find a formal reference - in Turkish newspapers or elsewhere (better UNESCO materials), I propose based on that evidence writing an open letter on behalf of the Hye Forum to the President of Armenia, copy it to the Minister of Culture of Armenia, and send it to the Ambassador of Armenia in the USA (it's easier to do for us).

What do you think?

A good ıdea!

The only formal reference I know of is the Hurriet Turkish newspaper reference that I mentioned in the "help - (T to E translatation needed)" section. The quarry is also mentioned in a sentence or two in the catalogue for the Ani exhibition in Paris. I do not know how one would get hold of the original UNESCO documents - but I would like to see them.

Armenian organisations have been deliberately silent - for example, I reported the quarry to RAA (research on Armenian architecture) last year - but not a word was said about it in their newsletter, although other things I had said were reproduced.

I will have more graphic photos of the quarries soon (I hope - inshallah ).

Steve

#90 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 23 June 2001 - 06:05 AM

Thanks, Steve. let us know when you you have materials at yur disposal, and we would bring together a text.

#91 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 23 June 2001 - 07:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aurguplu:
i dont know much about tigranakert, so i am not in a position to reply.

Some armenians use "Tigranakert" to refer to Diyarbekir. The deserted site of the original "Tigranakert" was mostly destroyed during the 1980s according to published accounts. No archaeological investigations were undertaken.

quote:

my point was - still is - the fact that an enormous amount of stuff still survives in excellent condition, and a good deal of it has always been on the surface, which means turks could have destroyed/exploited them if they wanted. the fact that they didn't is to their credit.

Very, very little actually survives - stop believing tourism ministry propaganda, Ali!

Destruction is massive in scale and shows no sign of decrease, indeed it is increasing rapidly. Destruction of classical sites and monuments is easy to assess by just reading old accounts and comparing old photos and engravings.

Far more serious for Turkey is the near total destruction of anatolia's traditional towns and cities. For most Turkish cities, in a decade or so at most there may be one of two traditional houses preserved amid a sea of apartment blocks. There is no concept of preserving an entire zone of a town like what would be normal practice in Europe.

Soon almost nothing from the past will remain - I went to one museum in Turkey a few days ago and on display was a laughable load of junk - stuff like 1930s oil lamps from Germany - cheap 1950s imported radios, Turkish money from the 1970s! No European museum would be seen dead with such stuff, yet that was almost all this particular town had left of its past to show.

quote:

also, not all destruction was recent, and not all of it was turkish in origin: in my hometown of urgup (cappadocia) there are about four hundred rock-cut churches in an area of aout ten square miles. to the best of my knowledge this is one of the highest concentrations of churches in a single area in the world. now the churches have frescoes in them, in many cases severely damaged. there are three types of destruction visible:

1. the uppermost layer. this is the most recent type of vandalism, and is in the form of tourist inscriptions "kilroy was here" in a myriad languages (which include most european tongues, incl. greek).

2. the middle layer. this is in the form of litte dents on the surface of the frescoes and the gouged-out eyes. this was done by the local turkish peasants in the 1940s (some twenty years after the local greeks were expelled in the population exchange with the greeks) after two or three years of exceptionally severe draughts. a local imam (muslim priest) said "how do you expect god's forgiveness (fancy term for rain) to fall upon this ground when it is littered with so many infidel churches with engraved images in them?" and the population gathered pebbles and went into the churches to "stone satan". this is still called "şeytan taşlamak" (stoning satan) in the area. the authorities did make life very difficult for the peasants once they found out about it, and now they are protecting them very efficiently, but the damage is done.

3. the first layer. this is the oldest episode of the destruction, and it was perpetrated by .... guess who? the local greeks themselves. it is in the form of entire pieces of frescoes hacked out of the inner surface of the walls, with an accompanying inscription next to them giving the name of the perpetrator and the date and reason of the deed. you see, the local greeks believed that the frescoes had magical properties and a potion made of them would cure all ills! this had given more damage than the other two forms of vandalism combined.

Reason 3 sounds a little like a local myth to me - but maybe it is true. At that time it was normal for believers to write prayers and dedications onto frescoes.

However you miss the point of frescoes. They were, until the expulsion of the Greeks, a living art form. The worshipers would think that if they were destroyed then "so what - they could easily be repainted". They were not things to be automatically preserved.

quote:

thorny rose

the thing about secret schools etc. are rubbish (they might have existed, but not because greek was suppressed). greek was even used as a state language by the ottoman empire, and most dragomans (translators) of the empire, who were so powerful then, were greek. there is no end to the amount of greek printed matter from the ottoman period still found in the bookseller shops in istanbul.

I know that there were secret schools in the black sea region. These were for Greeks who had converted to Islam during oppression in the 17th and 18th centuries - but were secretly still Greek orthodox believers. To openly profess their faith would have resulted in execution. Outside of Constantinople, Greek and especially Armenian publications were also actively surpressed, and had to be read in secret (a bit like modern Kurdish literature and newspapers).

quote:

steve
with all due respect - and the good points in your arguments re the marbles - don't you find that you sound a bit like a spokesman for the british museum? (no offence intended).

regards[/QB]

Not like a spokesman for the British museum (I have never actually seen the statues!) but like a spokesman for every European cıtızen who looks around their built environment and sees and apreciates the influences of the rebirth of Greek and Roman architecture for the 1780s onwards. The removal of the statues and their history since then should be treated as a different issue from their return to Greece.

regards

Steve

#92 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:a little bit of everything.

Posted 23 June 2001 - 08:12 AM

Steve, where are you right now?
Speaking of traditional Turkish houses, I went to that part of Ankara I had told you about last week, to have a look...

#93 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:a little bit of everything.

Posted 23 June 2001 - 08:28 AM

Steve, you've got return e-mail... And, whoo, I'm happy to hear that.
9:24
In fact, check your profile for my phone number for you to use if you need to...

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: Thorny Rose ]

#94 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 25 June 2001 - 10:04 AM

Oooooooh, CONGRATULATIONS. VERY VERY well done. You are SO clever.

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Kazza ]

#95 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 03:39 AM

You know some thing? I am feeling frustrated with this forum. Sometimes I wish I never came on it in the first place. Though there are many good members to talk to.

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: Kazza ]

#96 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 03:41 AM

I think I might take a small break from the forum for a while.

#97 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 June 2001 - 03:42 AM

Oh, I'm just lost for words, here, I've had absolutley enough. No more. I am so ****ing angry.

#98 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 28 June 2001 - 04:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
Oh, I'm just lost for words, here, I've had absolutley enough. No more. I am so ****ing angry.

Why Kazza? I don`t understand? And why do you keep editing your messages?

Steve

#99 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 09 July 2001 - 03:30 PM

I just found the following material at http://www.asbarez.c...2001/010515.htm

Armenia Responds To Turkish Accusations Regarding Destruction of Ruins of Ani

YEREVAN (combined sources)--An article published in the Turkish Hurriet newspaper on May 8 accused Armenia of deliberately destroying the ruins of Ani by means of explosions in the stone quarries near the Armenian-Turkish border. That article was part of the anti-Armenian hysteria raised in Turkey, Secretary General of the National Commission of Armenia for UNESCO Affairs to the Foreign Ministry of Armenia Varduhi Asaturian said. She further noted that blasting operations ceased a month ago.

A statement released by the Armenian foreign ministry, mentions a message that was sent by Turkey's permanent representative to UNESCO on December 18 of last year. Turkey filed a complaint with UNESCO, accusing Armenia of deliberately destroying the ruins of Ani by means of explosions in the mines located 600 meters from the Turkish border. The letter claimed that the explosions are causing damage to the Ani Cathedral, another church, and a mosque.

UNESCO forwarded the letter to the Armenian government, requesting a review of the matter. Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian sent a letter to Industry and Trade Minister Karen Chshmaritian, requesting him to take appropriate measures. The blasting operations were stopped in case damage was actually being caused to the medieval Armenian capital of Ani, which is treasured by all Armenians.

Chshmaritian has stated that the mining will resume till May 31 so that the St. Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral in Yerevan can be completed.

The foreign ministry statement says Armenia understands and agrees with the concerns raised by Turkey. However, the Armenian side does not have the slightest intention of damaging the ruins of Ani. The fact that the Turks chose to apply to international bodies before approaching Armenia is an indication of Turkish efforts to politicize the issue, rather than deal with the actual problem of preserving the landmarks, says the statement.

The Turkish government's concern for historic Armenian landmarks located on its territory is inconsistent with the decades-long official Turkish state policy of intentionally destroying or converting these landmarks into Turkish monuments.

#100 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 10 July 2001 - 03:11 PM

MJ, it is all just ROA propaganda - not a thread of truth in it, alas.

Steve

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
I just found the following material at http://www.asbarez.c...2001/010515.htm

Armenia Responds To Turkish Accusations Regarding Destruction of Ruins of Ani

YEREVAN (combined sources)--An article published in the Turkish Hurriet newspaper on May 8 accused Armenia of deliberately destroying the ruins of Ani by means of explosions in the stone quarries near the Armenian-Turkish border. That article was part of the anti-Armenian hysteria raised in Turkey, Secretary General of the National Commission of Armenia for UNESCO Affairs to the Foreign Ministry of Armenia Varduhi Asaturian said. She further noted that blasting operations ceased a month ago.

A statement released by the Armenian foreign ministry, mentions a message that was sent by Turkey's permanent representative to UNESCO on December 18 of last year. Turkey filed a complaint with UNESCO, accusing Armenia of deliberately destroying the ruins of Ani by means of explosions in the mines located 600 meters from the Turkish border. The letter claimed that the explosions are causing damage to the Ani Cathedral, another church, and a mosque.

UNESCO forwarded the letter to the Armenian government, requesting a review of the matter. Foreign Minister Vartan Oskanian sent a letter to Industry and Trade Minister Karen Chshmaritian, requesting him to take appropriate measures. The blasting operations were stopped in case damage was actually being caused to the medieval Armenian capital of Ani, which is treasured by all Armenians.

Chshmaritian has stated that the mining will resume till May 31 so that the St. Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral in Yerevan can be completed.

The foreign ministry statement says Armenia understands and agrees with the concerns raised by Turkey. However, the Armenian side does not have the slightest intention of damaging the ruins of Ani. The fact that the Turks chose to apply to international bodies before approaching Armenia is an indication of Turkish efforts to politicize the issue, rather than deal with the actual problem of preserving the landmarks, says the statement.

The Turkish government's concern for historic Armenian landmarks located on its territory is inconsistent with the decades-long official Turkish state policy of intentionally destroying or converting these landmarks into Turkish monuments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users