• 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

ՀԱՅՐ եւ ՄԱՅՐ

PATER and MATER
---
This topic was prompted by this question by Sebastia; http://hyeforum.com/...=0
---
At this point I will only scratch the surface and let Johannes/Sebastia et al to expand. I would like to invite everyone to contribute. No input will be dismissed. Also use this thread to expand the subject to Armenian words for all relatives, brother, sister, niece, nephew, uncle, aunt…. and many more even those related by marriage like mother/father/daughter/son/ in law etc. Please. Let us take them one at a time and expand.
---
Both ՀԱՅՐ and ՄԱՅՐ are native Armenian words going back PIE(Proto IndoEuropean/ՀՆԽ (Հնդեւրոպական Նախալեզու). They can be seen in many languages in one form or other, all the way from India to Iceland.
This I find very interesting. Among many languages where orne or other letter may be added, dropped or altered, in some of the Balto-Slavic it turns to “atta”. AHA! Look how some people have added the word “ata” to their non-language. Look what they call their “father” of the republic.
---
One more note. All these words and other seem to have arisen from “baby talk”. Why do children learn to recite “/dada/pap” before they learn to say “mama”?
Once again. I initiated this topic, and promised to just “scratch” the surface. Let Johannes tell us what Ajarian says.
---
Here maybe the best examples of “Pater” and “Mater”
----
Հայր Մեր- Pater Noster

Latin
Pater noster, qui es in caelis:
sanctificetur Nomen Tuum;
adveniat Regnum Tuum;
fiat voluntas Tua,
sicut in caelo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis hodie;
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris;
et ne nos inducas in tentationem;
sed libera nos a Malo.

Ողջոյն Քեզ Մարիամ “Մայր Աստուծոյ Mater Dei”

(Latin)
Ave Maria
Gratia plena
Dominus tecum
Benedicta tu in mulieribus
Et benedictus fructus ventris
Tui, Jesus
Sancta Maria
Mater Dei
Ora pro nobis peccatoribus
Nunc et in hora mortis nostrae
Amen
-----
Ողջոյն քեզ Մարիամ,
Լի շնորհքով, Տէրն ընդ քեզ
Օրհնեալ ես դու ի կանայս
Եւ օրհնեալ է պտուղ որովայնի քո Յիսուս
Սրբուհի Մարիամ, Մայր Աստուծոյ
Աղոթեայ վասն մեզ մեղաւորացս
Այժմ եւ միշտ յաւիտեան
Ամէն

Edited by Arpa, 05 July 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#2 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

http://www.dnforum.a...;ծը

Բայց բնիկ հայերէն բառերը ճշտել եւ երեւան հանել՝ դեռ չի նշանակում նախահայերէնի պատկերը երեւան հանել, ինչպէս որ Ե դարի հայերէն լեզուի քերականութեան հնդեւրոպական գծերը որոշել՝ չի նշանակում նախահայերէնի քերականութիւնը երեւան հանել: Որովհետեւ բնիկ հայերէն բառերը թէեւ նախահայերէն բառերի հետ էապէս նոյն են եւ կազմում են նրանց շարունակութիւնը, բայց ձեւով նոյնը չեն: Այսպէս, օրինակ՝ գիտենք որ հայր բառը հնդեւրոպական նախալեզւում pә՛r ձեւն ունէր. եւ այն բարբառի մէջ՝ որին պատկանում է հայերէնը, յունարէնը, իտալական, կելտական եւ գերմանական լեզուները, արդէն դարձել է patē՛r: Այս ձեւը ղատ ուշ, այն է արդէն Ե դարում եղել է հայր. եւ կարելի չէ ասել թէ հենց որ հայերը բաժանուեցին հնդեւրոպական խմբից, իսկոյն patē՛r դարձաւ հայր: Փոփոխութիւնը եղել է շատ դանդաղ: Այս բառի մէջ մենք ներկայ ենք չորս ձայնական փոփոխութեան. p դարձել է հ, t դարձել է յ, ē ջնջուել է, շեշտը փոխադրուել է նախորդ վանկի վրայ: Ենթադրելով թէ ազգերի բաժանումը 25-րդ դարում եղած լինի, ուրեմն պէտք է եղել 3000 տարի, որպէսզի patē՛r դառնար հայր: Սակայն մենք չգիտենք թէ այդ 3000 տարուայ շրջանի որ կէտում եւ ինչ հերթով են տեղի ունեցել յիշեալ չորս ձեւափոխումները, որովհետեւ մենք չգիտենք ձայնական փոփոխութեանց ժամանակագրութիւնը: Առանց այդ ժամանակագրութեան՝ կարող էր մէկը առաջարկել մի այսպիսի ընթացք.
-2500 թ. patē՛r

-2000 թ. փայի'ր
-1000 թ. հայի'ր
-500 թ. հա'յիր
+200 թ. հայր

#3 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

Thank you Ohan. That was very helpful.
We will expand on each of them. Please don’t let me get me ahead of myself. We have not yet fully extended on Father/ՀԱՅՐ and Mother/ՄԱՅՐ
In the meantime, a list of most all relatives. How many of these have Armenian counterparts? Who knows them?
Note below, “mum” - “amerik”
Merik Merik/Մերիկ մերիկ;

Sorry. I couldn’t resist. Pleaae google “merik merik” and see how many furkish sites will respond
He is one “antep havsi” Sorry again.
Johannes սա խզակը** ճանաչում ես?
** In Marash vernacular խզակ/ խոզիկ/piglet is a nickname for furkish girls just as լակոտ/լէկիւտ/lakot is applied to boys.
(dear mods, if you deem this is off topic and offensive, please remove it. It is only to show how those dogs have stolen our music, without even knowing the meaning of “merik/mayrik“)

-----
Members of a Family
father
dad
mother
mum , mummy , mom (amerik.)
parent
parents
child
children
son
daughter ɔ
brother
sister
grandfather
granddad , grandpa
grandmother
grandma , granny
grandson
granddaughter ɔ
grandchild
uncle
aunt
cousin
nephew
niece
boyfriend ɔ
girlfriend
fiancé
fiancée
bride
groom, bridegroom
wife
husband
spouse
father-in-law ɔ
mother-in-law
parents-in-law
son-in-law
daughter-in-law
brother-in-law
sister-in-law
godfather
godmother
godson
goddaughter
Godchild

Edited by Arpa, 07 July 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#4 Louise Kiffer

Louise Kiffer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

Thank you Ohan. That was very helpful.
We will expand on each of them. Please don’t let me get me ahead of myself. We have not yet fully extended on Father/ՀԱՅՐ and Mother/ՄԱՅՐ
In the meantime, a list of most all relatives. How many of these have Armenian counterparts? Who knows them?
Note below, “mum” - “amerik”
Merik Merik/Մերիկ մերիկ;

Sorry. I couldn’t resist. Pleaae google “merik merik” and see how many furkish sites will respond
He is one “antep havsi” Sorry again.
Johannes սա խզակը** ճանաչում ես?
** In Marash vernacular խզակ/ խոզիկ/piglet is a nickname for furkish girls just as լակոտ/լէկիւտ/lakot is applied to boys.
(dear mods, if you deem this is off topic and offensive, please remove it. It is only to show how those dogs have stolen our music, without even knowing the meaning of “merik/mayrik“)

-----
Members of a Family
father
dad
mother
mum , mummy , mom (amerik.)
parent
parents
child
children
son
daughter ɔ
brother
sister
grandfather
granddad , grandpa
grandmother
grandma , granny
grandson
granddaughter ɔ
grandchild
uncle
aunt
cousin
nephew
niece
boyfriend ɔ
girlfriend
fiancé
fiancée
bride
groom, bridegroom
wife
husband
spouse
father-in-law ɔ
mother-in-law
parents-in-law
son-in-law
daughter-in-law
brother-in-law
sister-in-law
godfather
godmother
godson
goddaughter
Godchild

------------

Arpa, about this list, I can say that French or English vocabulay are very poor compared with ours.
For uncle and aunt, we have more precisions: the brother of your mother, the brother of your father,
the wife of your uncle, the sister of your mother, the sister of your father and some other words that I have forgotten.
I dont'remember how my cousins called my mother, and my father
and how my mother called her brother's wife. Those names are important, I don't understand why the other languages are so evasives.
the

#5 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

Please don’t let me get off track. We will get back,. ONE at a TIME. Only after we have exhausted the etymology of HAYR and MAYR.
--
Yes, Dear Louise.
Where are all our linguists?
That is exactly my point.
In time we will come to each and every one of those words
Yes we do have specific words for some of our relatives. The best of them may be “keri/քեռի”. Even though we use it to mean the mother’s brother, it in fact means the husband of a sister , Quyr/Քոյր.
All of the words like moreghbayr/mobar horeghbayr /hobar**, horaquyr/hoqqour, moraquyr/moqqour are more specific than the generic “uncl” and “aunt” etc, are not native Armenian words. They are artificially compounded and composed.
There are so many linguists here. Pleas tell me. What has bothered me all this time . What is the Armenian word for “cousin/cousine”? Please tell us the Armenian words of the above list, aside from the obvious?
Yes, yes. I know.
The artificially composed “horeghborordi/moreghborordi/tgha, horaqroch/monarqroch aghjik.
Why are we so xenophobic/այլատեաց fratrophobic /եղբայրատեաց that we don’t even have native names/words for the children our brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles?
**When our mothers and fathers teach their children to call their father’s brother (Arabic)“ammi/ammo” and the brother their mother (furkish) “dayi/ (childish)dayday”. ***What is wrong with “hobar” and “mobar”?
*** Ammian and Dayian are Armenian(?) surnames (I personally know a few of them)? What’s wrong with “hobarian” and “kerian”?
Hi Ed/Keri!! :P
I am an uncle, a brother of the father, and the brother of the mother, but I hate it when some will introduce me as “ammo”(Arabic/Kurdish) or (furkish)“dayi/dayday”. How difficult is it to recite “hobar” or “mobar”?

Edited by Arpa, 08 July 2010 - 06:24 AM.

#6 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

Among the many variants of “ՀԱՅՐ” like father, pater, peder etc. is the German “vater” (V in German sounds like F and W like V as in “Folksvagen“.. Be careful not to pronounce the E as EH/Ե, as our choirmaster would say “don’t pronounce like a german jew”. I sounds like the Armenian Ը/@.)
See where the word “vater/father” is used.
Another break for your enjoyment. See where the German “vater” is invoked. Yes, this is the kind of musice I listen to.

I had known the Brahms masterpiece quite well, but I did not know it was based on a poem by Goethe. See the last stanza. Do you see “balsam” in stanza 2? I didn’t know Goethe spoke Armenian “բալասան” He may not have spoken Armenian but we took one of his poems and turned it into a song- Փոքրիկ տղան մի վարդ տեսաւ**
The Rhapsody is a setting of verses from Goethe's Harzreise im Winter. It was written in 1869

German original English translation

Aber abseits wer ist's?
Im Gebüsch verliert sich sein Pfad;
hinter ihm schlagen die Sträuche zusammen,
das Gras steht wieder auf,
die Öde verschlingt ihn.
But who is that apart?
His path disappears in the bushes;
behind him the branches spring together;
the grass stands up again;
the wasteland engulfs him.
Ach, wer heilet die Schmerzen
dess, dem Balsam zu Gift ward?
Der sich Menschenhaß
aus der Fülle der Liebe trank!
Erst verachtet, nun ein Verächter,
zehrt er heimlich auf
seinen eigenen Wert
In ungenugender Selbstsucht.
----
Ah, who heals the pains
of him for whom balsam turned to poison?
Who drank hatred of man
from the abundance of love?
First scorned, now a scorner,
he secretly feeds on
his own merit,
in unsatisfying egotism.
Ist auf deinem Psalter,
Vater der Liebe, ein Ton
seinem Ohre vernehmlich,
so erquicke sein Herz!
Öffne den umwölkten Blick
über die tausend Quellen
neben dem Durstenden
in der Wüste!

If there is on your psaltery
Father of love, one note
his ear can hear
then refresh his heart!
Open his clouded gaze
to the thousand springs
next to him who thirsts
in the wilderness!

----
**Who knows this song?
---

ՎԱՐԴԸ
Խոսք` Վ. Գյոթեի
Թարգմ.` Յովհ. Թումանեանի
Երաժշտ.` Ռ. Մելիքեանի

Փոքրիկ տղան մի վարդ տեսաւ,
Սեսավ մի վարդ դաշտի միջին.
Վարդը տեսաւ, ուրախացաւ,
Մոտիկ վազեց սիրուն վարդին,
Սիրուն վարդին, կարմիր վարդին,
Կարմիր վարդը դաշտի միջին:

Տղան ասավ. - Քեզ կպոկեմ,
Այ կարմիր վարդ, դաշտի միջին,
Վարդը ասավ. - Տես, կծակեմ,
Որ չմոռնաս փշոտ վարդին,
Փշոտ վարդին, կարմիր վարդին,

ՈՒ անհամբեր տղան պոկեց,
Պոկեց վարդը դաշտի միջին,
Փուշը նրա ձերքը ծակեց.
Բայց էլ չօգնեց քնքուշ վարդին,
Քնքուշ վարդին, կարմիր վարդին,

#7 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

We are still spinning our wheels.
----
ՀԱՅՐԻԿ

is the diminutive endearing version , just like “daddy” is the endearing of “dad“.
As in this Nursery rhyme- Twirling the hands in circles, rubbing the stomach and pretend to peek.

Կլորիկ, կլորիկ շաքար հաց
Փորիկըս անօթի մնաց:
Երթամ նայիմ պատուհանէն,
Սիրած ՀԱՅՐԻԿըս ու՞ր մնաց:

-----
Dedicated to Khrimian Hayrik Daddy of us all.

ՀԱԱՅՐԻԿ, ՀԱՅՐԻԿ
Words by N Salakhian , music- H Janikian
(Խրիմեան Հայրիկին)

Հայրի՛կ, Հայրի՛կ, քո հայրենիք
Վասպուրական մեր աշխարհ,
Վարդի փոխան քեզ փուշ բերաւ,
Ցաւերդ դառան բիւր հազար:

Մայիսն եկաւ սոխակներով,
Վարդի թփիկ որոնեց,
Փոխան թփի փշեր գտաւ,
Լալահառաչ ձայն հանեց:

Հայրիկն ասաց՝«Իմ հայրենեաց
Փուշն անուշ է քան զվարդ,
Եւ այն փշոց մէջը դարձեալ
Կ՚որոնեմ ես սիրուն վարդ:

«Այն սայրասուր փշերն ամէն,
Փունջ կապեցէք շար ի շար
Թողէք գլխիս պսակ կապեն
Որուն ճակատս է յօժար

Հայրիկ, Հայրիկ , քո սուրբ ճակատ,
Արիւն, արցունք են ոհ միշտ,
Փթթեալ վարդիցկարմիր թերթեր
Կը սպասեն փառոք զարդ:

Որքան ստոր դաւեր լարեն
Սեւակրինչ ագռաւներ,
Չէ կարելի առծիւն իւր բարձր
Դիրքիցն երկիր, վար բերել:

Edited by Arpa, 11 July 2010 - 08:26 AM.

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Հայրիկ, մայրիկ ու մեծ մամիկ/պապիկ: Ամէնքն ալ ունին մեծ գաղտնիք . Տեսնելու Հայր Բարսեղ նիք նիք. Ծխանեն վար գալու գաղտնիք:
Is the reason why it is “Sirats HAYRIK@s” , not “anoushik MAYRIK@s”, because it is sung by Mayriks, not by Hayriks?

Կլորիկ, կլորիկ շաքար հաց
Փորիկըս անօթի մնաց:
Երթամ նայիմ պատուհանէն,
Սիրած ՀԱՅՐԻԿըս ու՞ր մնաց:

SEXIST!!!
How many fathers sing "Qoun eghir balas"?
----
Now we proceed to
ՄԱՅՐ

Posted Image
Compare.
ՄԱՅՐ ՀԱՅԱՍՏԱՆ - Mother Armenia

Posted Image
Mamma;

Who knows the lyrics of this song, Merik Merik?

Mayr Araksi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mclc0ID9ac4&feature=related
---
Let us invoke “Ave Maria, Mater Dei”, Ողջոյն քեզ Մարիամ Մայր Աստուծոյ

ՄԱՅՐ (Մայրիկ)- Բնիկ Հայերէն բառ , հնխ (PIE/ProtoIndoEuropean) “mater”.

We skip the Sanskrit, etc. … Advance to the Eng “mother” and the German “mutter”.
How does the T in “mater” turn to Յ /Y in Armenian? We’ll let Johannes answer that.
In the Arabic “mother” is “um”, and “my mother" is “ummi“. I was flabbergasted when my neighbor adopted a second child/girl from Korea who was old enough to kind of speak. When she cried she would invoke “ummi, ummi”. As always, the word is “baby talk”. Have you noticed the sound of a baby sucking at the breast? Yes, we know, in the Armenian that sound is interpreted as “ծիծ/ ծծիկ/ծծել/ծիծիկ/to suck”, and in other languages it is known as “tit/teat/tittie”.
**Have you noticed why in the Armenian and others, food/eat in baby talk is called “mam/ham”? Have you wondered why the breast, the natural milk bottle is known as the “mammary gland”?”
Utter/Udder mammogram?
Posted Image

** That “great philosopher P. T. Barnum said “ A ‘sucker’ is born every minute”. How come in the Armenian a “sucker/idiot” is not known as :goof: “ծծան” :jester: ?
PS. Have you noticed that I have been trying, perhaps in vain, to “sucker in”, invoke our language geek friends like Johannes and Nairi who know our language and beyond.
Please! All “rabiz/rubbish” aficioanado’s save your precious pearls for other topics.

afi·cio·na·do also af·fi·cio·na·do \-ˈnä-(ˌ)dō\
Etymology: Spanish, from past participle of aficionar to inspire affection, from afición affection, from Latin affection-, affectio — more at affection
: a person who likes, knows about, and appreciates a usually fervently pursued interest or activity : devotee <aficionado

---
I know I am “muttering” to myself, speaking to myself.
The Armenian would be “մտմտալ/մտորել/mtmtal”.

mutter
1. To speak indistinctly in low tones.
2. To complain or grumble morosely.
To utter or say in low indistinct tones.
A low grumble or indistinct utterance.
Middle English muttren, possibly from Latin muttere.

Have you ever wondered that the Armenian “ՄԻՏ” and the Anglo-Latin “mind” may have a connection?

Edited by Arpa, 11 July 2010 - 06:28 PM.

#9 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

Posted Image
---
ՄԱՄԻԿ ՏԱՏԻԿ/Mamik Tatik. Which is which? Is it the same picture of the transsexual “tatik” ? Why are they labeled “mamik and tatik“, if “tatik/ՏԱՏԻԿ“ means “grandmother“, then what is the word for “grand father”?
Let me once again remind you that the Georgian “dedi” is none other than the Titik/tsitsik/ԾԻԾԻԿ.
----------------
Տեղքայլ ենք անում
We are at a standstill. We cannot proceed before we exhaust all there is about parents. The Armenian word for parent is Ծնող/tsnogh and the plural Ծնողք. We will eventually get vertically down to the offspring, and horizontally to the other relatives
Do we have native words for grand parents? Is it “մեծ ծնող”? That is beside the compound ones like “մեծ հայր/mets hayr/ մեծ մայր/mets mayr/ “ etc.
---
What do you call your grandparents? What do your children call their grandparents, be they male or female?

Here is the can of worms I hate to open,

Posted Image

or the the labyrinth/լաբիրինթոս

Posted Image

if you will, that I am afraid to open.

A Catch 22 as defined by Capt. John Yossarian
Posted Image
---
The more I read the more confused I get.
Some time ago Armenak wrote this here; Are we learning Armenian from the Georgians, who did not even have a language until St. Mesrop taught them.
http://hyeforum.com/...topic=9856&st=0
-----

Arpa,
I just found the Georgian word for "capital city" and I remembered this thread.
The Georgian word for capital city is dedakalakshi, a combination of dedi (mother) and kalakshi (city), which is similar to kaghak in Armenian.
I guess we aren't the only ones. Oh well.

----
It is natural that we call our grandfathers “պապիկ/papik”, “little papa”. But I will never understand why those in Yerevan call their grandmothers “տատիկ/dadik/tatik” when the entire world call their grandfathers “pappy” and their grandmothers “mammy”, and many variations thereof, as many variations as there are babies and mommies/mamma‘s. Should it not be “mamik” rather than “dadik”? Once again look above, the Georgian “dedi” and see where the “տատիկ” comes from. When everyone else call their grandfathers “dede” and their grandmothers “nene”.

Hi NENE/NANE :) :ap:
No, No. Maral is our dear “nene”. Hey Maralik/Mamik are you a “nene” yet? :P :D :)

PS. I will let Johannes tell us about “ՊԱՊ/pap “ and ՏԱՏ/tat”

Edited by Arpa, 12 July 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#10 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

ԶԱՒԱԿ, ՈՐԴԻ, ԴՈՒՍՏՐ

We are still at a vertical mode.
We spoke about grandparents and parents, now we go down to Offspring. One very amateur dictionary says the Armenian words for it are - մանուկներ, սերունդ, ծնունդ
---

Main Entry: off·spring 
Pronunciation: \ˈȯf-ˌspriŋ\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural offspring also offsprings
Etymology: Middle English ofspring, from Old English, from of off + springan to spring
Date: before 12th century
1 a : the product of the reproductive processes of an animal or plant : young, progeny b : child
2 a : product, result <scholarly manuscripts—the labored offsprings of PhDs — Donna Martin> b : offshoot 1a..

----
I don’t like it when in the English slang people call their children “kid”.

Main Entry: kid 
Pronunciation: \ˈkid\
Etymology: Middle English kide, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse kith kid
1 a : a young goat b : a young individual of various animals related to the goat
2 a : the flesh, fur, or skin of a kid b : something made of kid
3 : a young person; especially : child —often used as a generalized reference to one especially younger or less experienced <the kid on the pro golf tour> <poor kid>
— kid·dish \ˈki-dish\ adjective

---
A kid is a young baby goat, as in the Armenian “ուլիկ/oulik”. (Գառ/Garr գառնուկ/garrnouk/Գառնիկ is a baby sheep).
Ուլիկ ուլիկ այ սեւ ուլիկ,
Եկ իմ քովիկ, սիրեմ քիչիկ…

Regardless of the above definition, my impression is that the “kid” to mean child is from the German “kind”, as in “kindergarten/childrens‘ garden/մանկապարտէզ”
I can’t find a site. I remember this German lullaby that goes -
“Gute nacht, gute nacht mein feines kind
Gute nacht, schlaf wol mein kind.
---
Good night, good night my lovely child
Good night, sleep well my child”
---
OK, I found it. Even though I remember it as “Mein feines kind”, The Schubert lullaby says “mein liebster schatz= my dear treasure”.
How about some Armenian Lullabies?
http://www.lyricsty..../standchen.html
-----
Seems like most every Armenian word denoting “child-offspring” are kind of generic , genderless except դուստր/daughter from the phl. dokht@r/ դոխտըր.
Տղայ /tgha is a generic term to mean “child” even if it has eventually ended up meaning “male/boy child”, as opposed to աղջիկ/aghjik- female/girl child.
So are զաւակ/zavak/generation/սերունդ , and որդի/ordi. The latter has ended up exclusively assigned to a male child, the former, often is qualified with մանչ զաւակ/manch zavak or աղջիկ զաւակ/aghchik zavak.
----
As long as we are still at the vertical mode, next we will see what we call our grandchildren. To not forget what մանուկ/manouk means.

#11 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

ԹՈՌ-ՆԵՐ

Grandchildren
We are still at a vertical/ուղղաձիգ mode.
Here we wrote about “ԹՈՌՆ”/grandchild.
http://hyeforum.com/...=1
Above we will see that we are one of the very few people that have specific terms for the child of a child, unlike the English “grandchild” , just as in “grandparents/մեծ ծնողք/ մեծ հայր/ մեծմայր” we don’t call our grandchildren be they male or female- “մեծզաւակ, մեծ որդի/mets zavak/mets ordi” , we have proper names for them. “ԹՈՌ/ ԹՈՌՆԻԿ/ ԹՈՌՆՈՒՀԻ”.
A quote from above, where we see who learned from whom the word for “grandchild“.-

Here we saw about Ms. Fethiye’s book about her Armenian Grandmother Hranush
http://graphics8.nyt...rticleLarge.jpg
Now we see her more recent book, collaborated with Ayshe Gul “Torunlar” to mean the “Grandchildren".
http://www.insanokur...03/torunlar.jpg

---
From ԹՈՌ we move to ԾՈՌ Great grandchild , child of a grandchild as in David of Sassoun ՍԱՍՆԱՅ ԾՈՌԵՐ, ՍԱՍՆԱՅ ԾՌԵՐ
Even if some may suggest that it means the “crooked/ԾՈՒՌ/Crazy Sassountsis”.
From the Dictionary of Synonyms /Հոմանիշների Բառարան
ԾՈՌ= թոռնորդի, թոռորդի, great grandchild.
What do you think Armenian surname “Torikian/Torigian/Թոռիկեան” means?
---
As long as we are still on a vertical mode see what we call the spouses of our children “հարս/hars/daughter in law and “փեսայ/phesa” son in law.
Why is a wedding called “harsanik” and not “pesanik’? :P :D :)

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

We will step back a bit, backpedal, and go up to see who our parents/ծնողք are.
Hopefully from here on, if I don’t get sidetracked we will expand horizontally.
----

ԱՅՐ ՈՒ ԿԻՆ
Man and Woman.
ԱՄՈՒՍԻՆ կնոչ մարդը կամ մարդու կինը Կամուած է «ամ համ միասին եւ ուս= վարժուիլ, սովորիլ”**
In other words an “amousin” is the companion that one gets acquainted, accustomed to.
As seen above it is a generic, genderless word, even if in time it has ended up exclusively to mean “husband/ male spouse, specially ine the western Armenian, in Eastern Armenian it is still used to mean either the male or the female partner. The word is synonymous with thhttp://www.takeourword.com/images/spinster.jpge English “spouse”, the French “epouse” , just as in the Italian “sposare” means to marry.
----

Main Entry: 1spouse 
Pronunciation: \ˈspau̇s also ˈspau̇z\
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French espus (masculine) & espuse (feminine), from Latin sponsus betrothed man, groom & sponsa betrothed woman, bride, both from sponsus, past participle of spondēre to promise, betroth; akin to Greek spendein to pour a libation, Hittite šipant-
Date: 13th century
: married person : husband, wife

----
**Ուսանող =Student, learner and ուսուցիչ teacher
---
Another word for “spouse/amousin” is
ԿՈՂԱԿԻՑ= Literally, next to ones side/rib. (Is it based on the fable of Adam and his “rib” Eve?)

As long as we are talking about married people and spouses, let us see we call the unmarried;
“amouri”, usually applied to an unmarried male person, just as “bachelor”, even if at times an unmarried female person may be called a “bachelorette” the traditional English words, perhaps pejoratively, as “spinster“*** one that spins the wheels of a spinning wheel , or “old maid/virgin”.
What is the Armenian word for and unmarried woman?
-----
ԱՄՈՒՐԻ, չամուսնացած կամ այրի մնացածfrom the Sanskrit? “am/without” and “ouri/houri/ woman/wife”
---
In another postwe saw the word “azap” to mean “unmarried/amouri”. Yes, that word is widely and freely used in that sense. It is from the Arabic “ ‘-azab/ազաԲ”. My Farsi fonts is defective, I cannot find the ltter “Z”. I’m sure Johannes can. Perhaps a “curse” word (?) as in their culture any boy over the age of 12 who is not yet “ married” is suspect.
----
Spinster
Posted Image
Spinning wheel.
Posted Image
Ճախարակ Common with the Pahlavi “չարխ” to mean “wheel”/անիւ“.
Posted Image
Remember when the Sleeping Beauty was pricked by the spindle and slept all that time?
Posted Image
The above picture of the Armenian woman is too modern. See picture on page 51 here;
http://www.azad-hye....o-1922-1936.pdf
Note that some others call that machine “chkhrk/չխրըխ”
** One dictionary says “spinster”= պառաւած աղջիկ, չամուսնացած կին, մանող կին:
Btw, even though in some circles the պառաւ/parav may be used to mean “old/aged//ծեր” it in fact means “old woman/ ծերացած կին/ աղջիկ”
-----
You may choose to ignore the rest.
Why did not Sewak, he being a male person not choose to write “Պառաւում ենք” Instead he wrote “Ծերանում ենք”. Ծեր մարդ v Պառաւ կին
http://www.uzood.com...Ö‚ÕµÖ€-ÕÖ‡Õ¡Õ¯

----------

Ծերանում ենք

Պարու՛յր Սեւակ,

Ծերանում ենք, սիրելի՜ս,-
Հասակակից կանանց արդեն մենք նայում ենք եղբոր պէս,
Նկատում ենք մատղաշներին,
Որոնք մեզ չեն նկատում.
Ամեն մի նոր ծանոթութ իւն չի վերջանում էլ սիրով,
Ոչ էլ երգով մի անարուստ, բայց պառթկուն ու կրակուած…

Ծերանում ենք, Պարո՛յր Սեւակ,
Ծերանում ենք, սիրելի՜ս.-
Մեր ապստամբ մազերն արդեն կա՛մ պատըժուել են մահով,
Կա՛մ իշխանաց իշխան սանրի խեղճ հպատակ են դարձել.
Մեր խռովկան մատներն արդեն դարձել են հեզ ու լսկան,
Իսկ դաւադիր մեր ոտքերը՝ ընտանեսէր- տնասէր…

Ծերանում ենք, Պարոյ՛ր Սեւակ,
Ծերանում ենք, սիրելի՜.-
Մէ՛կ օր խմում
Եւ երկու՛օր արդեն խումար ենք ընկնում,
Մէ՛կ ժամ քայլում
Եւ երկու՛ ժամ խոսում դրա օգուտից
Կամ վնասից,
Եւ ըստ որում խոսում այնպէ՜ս լրջորէն,
Կարծես մի մեծ գիւտ ենք արել
Կամ հերքում ենք մի հին գիւտ.
Եւ «բուժուել» կամ «հիվանդութիւն» բառերն արդեն օրեցօր
Հոլովվում են ու խոնարհւում աւելի շատ եւ նույնիսկ
Առաւել քիչ դժգոհութեամբ,
Քան թե թաքուն պարծանքով…

Ծերանում ենք, սիրելի՜ս.-
Թափառելու ժամ չի մնում,
Չենք հասցնում ձանձրանալ.
Քիչ ենք թախծում մենք անառիթ,
Շատ ենք տխրում առիթով.
Քիչ ենք կարդում, շատ ենք գրում,
Շատ ենք խորհում, քիչ քնում,
Որովհետեւ «անքնութիւն» բառը դարձել է սոսինձ
Եւ ուզում է մեր քրքրուած ջղերն իրար կպցնել…

Ծերանում ենք, սիրելի՜ս,
Ծերանում ենք, սակայն կարծես
Դարձյա՛լ խանքի չենք գալիս.-
Դեռ հիմա ՜ էլ զարմանում ենք.
Դեռ կարո՜ղ ենք զարմանալ
Ժամացոյցի սլաքները ետ ենք տալիս մտովին,
Ի՜նչ է թե մեր արդեն չարածն իբր անենք աշխարհում.
Անկարելի հաղթանակի ելք ենք ճարում ինչ- որ կերպ.
Երբեմն էլի այս աշխարհն ենք դեռ չափչփում հուսալից
Դոն- Կիխոտի ոտքեր կոչուած նո՛յն կարկինով ծայրամաշ.
Իսկ երբ մեկը խոր քնի մէջ մեր երազն է կոխկրտում,
Առաջուա՛ պէս… առաջուա՜ պէս վեր ենք ցատկում ճչալով…

Սակայն… խելքի չե՜նք գալիս…

Edited by Arpa, 18 July 2010 - 07:38 AM.

#13 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

ԵՂԲԱՅՐ/ ՔՈՅՐ

Brother/ Sister.

sib·ling
Pronunciation: \'si-bliŋ\
Date: before 12th century
1 : sib 2; also : one of two or more individuals having one common parent
2 : one of two or more things related by a common tie or characteristic <the sedan's smaller sibling
----
sib
1 a : kindred, relatives b : a blood relation : kinsman
2 : a brother or sister considered irrespective of sex; broadly : any plant or animal of a group sharing a degree of genetic relationship corresponding to that of human sibs
3 : a group of persons unilaterally descended from a real or supposed ancestor

----
Seems like we don’t have word for “sibling“, or do we?. I cannot find an Armenian word for this. The word is not limited to humans, it may apply to plants and animals as well.

1 : sib 2; also : one of two or more individuals having one common parent regardless of gender and sex.

Based on the above, would something like “համածնող” (same/common parent), or even “կաթնեղբայր/ կաթնքոյր” be? A neighbor girl kept calling me “եղբայր”. I finally learned why. We were born about the same time, her mother had not had enough milk and my mother had nursed us both. “կաթնեղբայր/ կաթնքոյր” ? Does “sibling” mean nursing at the same breast?
---
ԵՂԲԱՅՐ
When, after Cain had killed his BROTHER Abel, God asked him, and he answered;

Gen.4
[9] And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
------
Տէր Աստուած հարցրեց Կայէնին. «Ո՞ւր է քո եղբայր Աբէլը»։ Սա պատասխանեց. «Չգիտեմ, մի՞թէ ես իմ եղբօր պահակն եմ»։
------
Եւ ասէ տ(է)ր ա(ստուա)ծ ցկային. ո՞ւր է հաբէլ եղբայր քո. եւ նա ասէ՝ չգիտե́մ. միթէ պահապա՞ն իցեմ եղբօրն իմոյ։

ԵՂԲԱՅՐ բնիկ Հայերէն բառ “bhrater/bhrator”(I have no idea how it ends up as “եղբայր/eghbayr”. It appears in many neighboring languages like “birader/frater/frere/brother/broder” etc.
Many regional dialectical variants like . (Skipping the source od dialects from Abaran to Zeitun)- Not t o forget the Arabic”akh/ekh اخ
Էխբար, էխբայ,աղբար, ախբար, ախպար, ախբեր, ախփէր, ախբեր, աղբայր….etc.
:oops: Some have abridged “brother” to “bro”. So should we abbreviate աղբեր/ախբեր to աղբ/ ախբ ? Some have already done it to “աբ/ab/ap/աբեր/aber/aper”. :oops: again.
Here Sevak says- (We’re getting old) “We’re looking at women of our age as a brother would”.

Ծերանում ենք
Պարու՛յր Սեւակ,
Ծերանում ենք, սիրելի՜ս,-
Հասակակից կանանց արդեն մենք նայում ենք եղբոր պէս,
Նկատում ենք մատղաշներին,
Որոնք մեզ չեն նկատում.…

Here see Avetik Isahakian speak about “Qouyr Im Nazeli/My Dainty Sister”.
http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=17782

Քոյր իմ նազելի, նայիր քո դիմաց՝
Վիրաւոր, աւեր սիրտս եմ բացել.
Ա՜խ, նուիրական ինձ քո գիրկը բաց
Եւ գուրգուրիր ինձ, ես շատ եմ լացել...

Քնքուշ ձեռներով աչերս սըրբիր,
Մի՛ թող ինձ լալու-ես շա՜տ եմ լացել,
Ճակատիս մռայլ՝ մշուշը ցըրիր,
Եւ գուրգուրիր ինձ, ես շա՜տ եմ լացել...

1904 Հոկտեմբեր 16, Թիֆլիս

---

ՔՈՅՐ Բնիկ Հայերէն բառ “suesor” ձեւից

Once again, I have no idea how “suesor” turns to “quyr”, just as “brater” turns to “eghbayr”.
See that in the French “seur” means “sister” and in the Latin “sorority” means “sisterhood”
--
Some provincials. I will not identify them all except in the case of Zeitun, Hajin and Hamshen . In the Marash dialect it is ՔԻՐ** while in the others, where the R is elided it become ՔԻՅ
Here are the rest-
Քուր, քոր, քիւր, քույր, քվիր, քայր***, քուրիկ, քուրուկ քուրվոնք (plural?)
** We will eventually come to this. In the meantime in the Marash dialect ՄՐՔԻՐ is the mother’s sister ՀՐՔԻՐis the father’s sister.
***This in the Svedia (Musa Ler) dialect that some of us may be familiar with

Edited by Arpa, 18 July 2010 - 04:22 PM.

#14 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:39 AM

Another break. We will eventually come back and continue. In the meantime observe this thread where we have spoken about some of relatives and in-laws.
Zoqanch;
http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=15863

Edited by Arpa, 19 July 2010 - 11:41 AM.

#15 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:27 AM

ԱԶԳԱԿԱՆ- ԱԶԳԱԿԻՑ
Relative, next of kin.
The Armnian word is based on ԱԶԳ-nation,dynasty.
A short time ago we saw the following where someone from furkey was looking for relatives. As always it turned out to a not sot so pleasant exchange.
--
---
That word used is from the Arabic., based on (the plural of) “qrb” to mean “near/close”.

Akraba
Aqraba Aqraba Arabic عقربة .... akraba. relative. bir akrabamın evinde kalıyorum - I'm staying at the house …

Based on the Arabic to mean “near/close” see this;

ՄՏԵՐԻՄ= հաւատարիմ, մօտիկ եւ ընտանի բարեկամ

Ajarian shies away to assert that the word is derived from “ՄՕՏ= near/close”. Instead he resorts to such acrobatics that is related to words like “միտ /միտք“ to mean “thought/mind“. Would not that be “համամիտ /համախոհ”, “of the same mind)?
In another monograph he treats the word-

ՄՕՏ= (մօտիկ, մերձ. ոչ հեռու) բնիկ Հայ բառ “ՄԱՏ” as in “մատչելի”,

attainable, close, near.
----
I am NEARING the limit of my tolerance :P :D :)
We will continue.

#16 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

Հաճելի նիւթ է:

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

Հաճելի նիւթ է:

Այո Զարթօնք (Reveille)***, հաճելի նիւթ է, գոնէ ինձ համար, բայց տես թէ ինչպէս տհաճ դառնայ:
Տես «խորթ» :o
-----
Now that we have spoken about immediate relatives like Father, Mother, Brother and Sister, we will proceed to our secondary ones like Nephew, Niece, Cousin, Cousine.
I don’t know. Does anyone else? Do we have Native Armenian words for those above , i.e. beside the artificially compound ones? Like եղբորորդի, քեռորդի, հորեղբորորդի, մորեղբորորդի, հորաքռորդի,մորաքռորդի….

ԱԶԳԱԿԱՆ (relative)- Արիւնակից, հարազատ, մերձաւոր, ազգակից,արիւնամերձ, մերձազաւակ, մոտասէր, ընտանի, ընտանեակ, ընտանեկից, իւրային, բարեկամ, խնամի, թայրաթոտք(?) դաս(?), իրաւոր(?), խզուկ(?), Տոհմակից

Above we spoke about “secondary relatives” . How about “tertiary relatives” (from second marriages) like step father, step mother, step brother, step sister etc.**
**Yes, yes I know - խորթ հայր, խորթ մայր, խորթ եղբայր, խորթ քոյր
:oops: I wish I had not looked it up.
It is an altogether another subject, in the meantime from the Armatakan

ԽՈՐԹ- պոռնկորդի, անհարազատ որդի, խարդախեալ , կեղծ

*** Զարթօնք, Reveille, Revele

:P Զարթիր Լաօ :)
“Sleepers Wake“, a protestant hymn based on this by J S Bach

In the Armenian it is “Արթնցիր(զարթիր), կանցնի գիշերը” (Wake up, the night is over)

Edited by Arpa, 22 July 2010 - 10:49 AM.

#18 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

Before we move forward to see each and every secondary relatives are, let us see what ԽՆԱՄԻ /khnami, loosely “in law” means.
ԽՆԱՄԻ- from խնամ/care խնամել to(take) care. In words like “caretaker/խնամակալ” etc. A relative by marriage.
Who are the khnamis?
From the top; anerhayr, աներհայր/father of “ner”, anermayr/ աներմայր mother of “ner”. Who is “(a)ner”?

#19 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

Before we move forward to see each and every secondary relatives are, let us see what ԽՆԱՄԻ /khnami, loosely "in law" means.
ԽՆԱՄԻ- from խնամ/care խնամել to(take) care. In words like "caretaker/խնամակալ" etc. A relative by marriage.
Who are the khnamis?
From the top; anerhayr, աներհայր/father of "ner", anermayr/ աներմայր mother of "ner". Who is "(a)ner"?

Աները կնոջ հայրն է. աներհայրը կնոջ պապն է (մեծ հայրը). աներձագը կամ աներորդին կնոջ եղբայրն է. զոքանչը կնոջ մայրն է:

Ները երկու եղբօր կիներու իրար տուած կոչումն է:
Աները ների հետ իմաստային կամ ստուգաբանական կապ չունի:

#20 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:24 AM

ՔԵՌԻ - ՔԵՌԱՅՐ

(Before we proceed, let us correct something. Somewhere above we assumed that we don’t have specific words for cousin, cousine, nephew and niece. Or do we? We shall see.)
Hi Ed/Qeri.
Both QERI and QERAYR are based on “qer/ՔԵՌ” to mean “քրոջ/of the sister”. While “qeri” is commonly used to mean the “brother of an aunt/մորաքրոջ եղբայր”, and “qerayr” often used to mean the husband of an aunt in fact means the “husband of a sister”. No harm done. We call our aunts “horaquyr /horqur/hogqur and moraquyr/morqur/mogqur”**

**In the Kilikian dialects they are known “մրքիռ/mrqir/and հրքիռ/hrqir”շ even if at times a “mrqir” may be the wife of an uncle ,(“sister” of the mother?) Also in the Kilikian dialects at times the mother in law is called “kermer/Քերմէր*** (քեռ-մայր)շ Just as the father in law is called Քերպապ.
*** Not to forget “parmer/պարմէր”, “queen bee” http://hyeforum.com/...=1
There is a large dynasty of Kerbabians, most from Kesab.
Google and see how many you see (2,100 hits). I had never given a thought as to what "kerbab/kerpap" meant.

Last name Kerbabian in Kesab, Syrian Arab Republic
Go to last names searcher
In family trees in Genoom. Go to Genoom
2 Kerbabian in Kesab (Syrian Arab Republic)
2 Kerbabian born in Kesab (Syrian Arab Republic)
1 Kerbabian living in Kesab (Syrian Arab Republic)

----
Hey Vava, how many Kerbabians are there in Montreal?

Edited by Arpa, 30 July 2010 - 06:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users