#22 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

The entire Nation, both in the Diaspora and the Homeland should declare a period of mourning with flags at half staff.

Edited by Arpa, 19 January 2007 - 11:42 AM.

#23 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

Did you guys noticed in the past couple of days the turks have been kind of passive...?
The barbarians have been planning the murder of Hrant Dink for some period of time.

Edited by ArmoArmeN, 19 January 2007 - 11:46 AM.

#24 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hrant Dink: “I just used the word ‘genocide’, which is reality”
By Gayane Mkrtchyan
ArmeniaNow reporter
In a meeting with Armenian press Tuesday, controversial Turkish journalist Hrant Dink said he will challenge his conviction for “insulting Turkish identity” in the European Court of Human Rights.

Dink
Dink has been sentenced by courts in Urfa and Istanbul because he has written that the 1915-18 Turkey-Armenia conflict was “genocide”. His prison sentence is conditional (meaning that he doesn’t serve prison time), stipulating that if Dink uses the word “genocide” in future articles, his sentence will be doubled and will not be conditional.

Dink, who is Armenian (born in Malatia, Turkey) is editor of the Armenian-Turkish weekly Agos, based in Istanbul. He was in Yerevan this week on the invitation of the Third Armenia Diaspora Conference.

“I have not disrespected any identity. I am not a racist. I just use the word ‘genocide’, which is a reality. So I want my identity as of an Armenian not to be disrespected either. If the European Court does not restore my rights either, I will leave Turkey. If they don’t accept me and consider me an enemy, I can’t live in that country,” says Dink.

The editor enflamed passions and became a cause-celebre for Genocide recognition, a year ago, when he wrote that unlike Armenians around the world who speak of the Genocide of 1915, Armenians of Turkey do not even dare to somehow commemorate their dead ancestors on April 24th.

(Dink is one of dozens who have been prosecuted by Turkish authorities for statements that the government finds “insulting” to Turkey. Yesterday [September 21] a court exonerated novelist Elif Shafak on such charges.)

“The majority in Turkey doesn’t know the truth. How can people know, when talking about it has been prohibited for 90 years?” says Dink. “The Armenian side should first teach Turks the real history and then lead a policy of Genocide recognition. There are Turks who recognize the crime committed by their compatriots. Others question if it has taken place or not.”

Dink, 52, said interest toward the Genocide has grown in Turkey in recent years, leading authorities to react severely, as in his case. He says Turkish school books portray Armenians as perpetrators of massacres against the Turks.

According to the editor, the part of the population inhabiting the territory of historical Armenia today is more informed about the Genocide. Their greater part is Armenians converted to Turks who remember the crime against their ancestors. The Kurdish insurgence in Turkey also facilitates raising the Genocide issue.

“The Armenian question came forward along with the Kurdish question. The Kurdish intelligentsia was the first to write about it, mentioning the participation of Kurds in the Armenian massacres,” says Dink.

According to the journalist, there are two ways the government of Turkey can recognize the Armenian Genocide: One is to pressure the international community (especially as Turkey is considered for European Union membership); the second is by the Turkish people themselves.

Dink also said part of the society has begun reflecting on the Genocide, despite obstacles by the regime.

“The growth of the democratization movement is accompanied by that of the nationalistic,” he said. “There are large masses of people in Turkey unwilling to see Turkey in the European Union. These people do the utmost to have Turkey appear before the international community as a ‘dark’ country. These forces are strong enough and sometimes do influence people.”

Dink says Turkish nationalism is conditioned by next year’s national elections.

Dink expressed his personal position on the recognition of the Armenian Genocide in the following way: “The best way is to have Turkey become a democratic country. The demand will come from the bottom and the society will recognize the Genocide without an external pressure.”

For related article, see http://www.turkishda...p?enewsid=45569

#25 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hrant Dink Murdered: Turkish-Armenian journalist shot dead in Istanbul
By John Hughes
ArmeniaNow reporter
Hrant Dink
A popular and controversial Turkish journalist of Armenian descent, sympathetic to the cause of Armenian Genocide recognition, was shot dead in Istanbul today.

Hrant Dink, the editor of the Armenian-language "Agos" was shot four times while leaving his offices Friday (January 19) afternoon.

Dink, who had often run afoul of Turkish government policy for his editorials favoring Armenian viewpoints, was recently found guilty of "insulting Turkishness". He escaped Turkish prison on a provisional sentence, and had pledged to appeal his conviction to the European Court of Human Rights (see “I just used the word ‘genocide’, which is reality”)

According to reports by CNN and others, Dink was shot by a man in his late teens.

Dink, 53, often visited Armenia to attend journalism-related conferences. In September, he was guest of the Armenia-Diaspora Conference, where he was welcomed for his staunch defiance of Turkish law that makes it a crime to characterize Ottoman Turkey's position against early-20th century Armenians as "genocide".

Dink's apparent assassination comes as Turkey's application for membership in the European Union is weighed against the very prejudices that may be behind the journalist's murder. Dink himself had been an advocate of Turkey's application, but had maintained that it should admit the genocide.

He had recently told Istanbul officials, including the city's Vice Mayor, that he had received death threats.

In a press conference soon after news of Dink's death, Turkish Prime Minister Tayip Erdogan said Dink's murder was "an attack on peace and stability."

Speaking to CNN, journalist Andrew Finkel called Dink "a courageous man who died in a terrible way", adding that his death is a "tragedy of a whole nation which is trying to come to terms with its past".

ArmeniaNow will provide further details of these events as they become available.

#26 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

this is a big loos for Humanity and especialy for turks
yevs mi nahatak u zoh u sa verjinne, verj!
es anqam menq enq kotorelu yes drants barbaros kochvats mayr@ q*****em mad.gif mad.gif

my son just called me and he is almost in tears and cant speak,
its a sad day, I agree with Arpa, we should declare 3 days of moorning

#27 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

ISTANBUL, Turkey (CNN) -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed to find the killer of a prominent Turkish journalist of Armenian descent shot to death in broad daylight Friday.

Hrant Dink, editor of the Armenian-Turkish-language weekly Agos newspaper, was killed in front of the building that houses the Istanbul publication.

The murder shocked all of Turkey, where Dink also has earned a reputation for promoting dialogue between Turks and Armenians, backing open borders between Turkey and the nation of Armenia, and expressing a love of his Turkish homeland.

The killing prompted swift denunciation by Turkish PM Erdogan, who said the attack was a "shock" and an "insult" to the Turkish nation and a "dark day" -- not only for Dink's family but for all of Turkey as well.

"The dark hands that killed him will be found and punished," Erdogan said, in televised remarks.

Authorities are looking into a lead that he was shot by a young man who appeared to be 18 or 19 years old. Dink's body could be seen covered with a white sheet in front of the newspaper's entrance, before an emergency vehicle came to take it away.

"Aged 53, Dink was killed by several shots fired at him shortly after midday as he was outside the premises of his privately owned newspaper in Sisli, a district on the European side of Istanbul. The police said they were looking for a youth aged about 18 or 19 wearing a jean-jacket and a white beret," said Reporters Without Borders, a journalists' advocacy group that denounced the killing.

Described as a "well-known commentator on Armenian affairs," Dink had been called into court a number of times on allegations of "insulting" the Turkish state in his writing.

"Some of the trial hearings have been marred by violent scenes inside and outside the courtrooms, instigated by nationalist activists calling for Dink to be punished," says a profile on the Web site of Pen American Center -- the writers' group that defends free expression.
Hot-button issue

Agos was established in 1996, and Dink didn't shy away from dealing with the controversies in that region over the killings of Armenians from 1915 through 1917 -- a hot-button issue in Turkey.

Armenians and other countries regard those killings as a genocide, a claim rejected by the Turkish government, which says Armenians and Turks were killed in civil warfare.

Andrew Finkel, a journalist in Turkey and a friend of Dink's, emphasized that Dink's killing was "a tragedy" for a country attempting to "come to terms with its past."

Finkel said resentment toward Dink existed among ultranationalist Turks, and the people who staged "ugly scenes" at his trials are the same ones who staged rallies directed at Orhan Pamuk, the Nobel Prize-winning Turkish writer who faced charges of insulting Turkishness as well.

He described Dink as a "bright" and brash" man who was a "well-known figure in Istanbul" and an advocate for Turkey's small Armenian community -- a once-populous group now numbering around 60,000 or 70,000.

"If anything, he was a great Turkish patriot," Finkel told CNN in an interview.

Joel Campagna, Mideast program coordinator for the Committee to Protect Journalists, said, "Like dozens of other Turkish journalists, Hrant Dink has faced political persecution because of his work. Now it appears he's paid the ultimate price for it."

Campagna said that Turkey "must ensure that this crime does not go unpunished like other cases in the past and that those responsible for his murder are brought to justice."

He said that over the last 15 years, 18 Turkish journalists have been killed -- making the country the eighth deadliest in the world for journalists in that period. He said that many of the deaths took place in the early 1990s "at the peak of the Kurdish separatist insurgency."

He said killings, other attacks against journalists that don't result in deaths, and the many cases of Turkish journalists facing criminal charges under "vague statutes" create a "chilling effect" among media workers.

Reporters Without Borders, another journalists' advocacy group, also said a proper investigation is needed, underscoring its position that "this will be a key test for a country that hopes to join the European Union. No one would understand if Turkey failed to do everything possible to shed light on this tragedy." Turkey has long coveted membership in the EU.
'Dialogue sought'

Pen American Center said Dink's publication sought to "provide a voice to the Armenian community and create a dialogue between Turks and Armenians."

Here are case histories Pen lists involving Dink:

-- "In 2001, the Turkish government suspended publication of Agos when Dink wrote that 'the laws (on the genocide) will cease to be a problem when Turkey shows consideration for the pain created by 24 April.' While the government brought legal action against Dink, he was found innocent and was permitted to resume printing Agos."

-- "On February 13, 2004, Dink published an article titled 'Get to Know Armenia,' which discussed the modern-day impact of the Armenian massacres and urged Armenians to reject 'the adulterated part of their Turkish blood.'"

-- "Dink explained that he was writing a series of articles focusing on the Armenian diaspora, and that the article was intended as a plea to Armenians to resolve their anger towards the Turks. However, the Turkish government interpreted this comment as an insult to Turkish blood, and Dink was consequently brought to trial for the article."

"On October 7, 2005, the Sisli Court of Second Instance in Istanbul handed Dink a six-month suspended sentence. Dink appealed the sentence and issued a protest, saying that 'as long as I live (in Turkey), I will go on telling the truth, just as I always have.'"

-- After that sentencing, Dink was "placed on trial for remarks that he made at a conference in 2002 that were deemed in violation of Article 301 of the Turkish Penal Code -- 'insult(ing) to the Turkish state.'"

Dink said "charges stem from remarks he made that criticized a patriotic verse Armenian school children are forced to memorize. He said that the lines 'I am a Turk, I am honest, I am hardworking' were objectionable because 'even though (he) was honest and hardworking, (he) was not a Turk, (he) was an Armenian.'"

Pen said Dink had been "critical of a verse in the national anthem that he felt was discriminatory for referring to the Turks as 'a heroic race.' Dink was acquitted on February 9, 2006, although he still faced further charges of trying to influence the courts."

-- Pen said that on July 12, 2006, Dink "was handed a six-month suspended sentence for insulting Turkishness after writing an article which called for Armenians to 'now turn their attention to the new life offered by an independent Armenia.'"

On July 19, 2006, "the Istanbul public prosecutor opened a new case against Dink for referring to the 1915 massacre of Armenians as a 'genocide' during a July 14 interview with Reuters."

Dink was awaiting his next trial on those charges.

Aram Hamparian, executive director of the Armenian National Committee of America, told CNN that the case is the "product of the environment that the Turkish government has created" -- its persistent denial that the killings of the Armenians last century did not amount to a genocide and "a provision of the Turkish penal code that prohibits people from speaking about the Armenia genocide."

Said Hamparian: "Turkey needs to come to grips with its past."

Copyright 2007 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

#28 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE(Edward @ Jan 19 2007, 05:54 PM)  

=======
my son just called me and he is almost in tears and cant speak,

What do you think I have been doing all morning!
What a BEAUTIFUL MAN. I mean MAN, with gntaks bigger than bowling balls.

#29 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

Unlike the "Gna merir ari sirem"....
Of course, we understand where one is coming from.
We have known and loved Hrant for quite sometime.

#30 Dave

Dave

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:18 PM

I can't stand the "politically correctness" in news articles either.
I came across one of these that said "Turkey, being a majority Muslim country and Armenia, allegedly being the first Christian nation in the world...."

etc.

So now they're taking on our Ancient history too

Edited by Dave, 19 January 2007 - 12:19 PM.

#31 Marseliatsi_M26

Marseliatsi_M26

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:25 PM

WE MUST GATHER IN FRONT OF EVERY TURKISH EMBASSY AND CONSULATE TOMORROW AT 12 am TO PROTEST AGAINST THIS CRIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![b][color=#330033][u]

#32 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

IPB Image

Turkish leftist protestors hold Hrant Dink's newspapaer Agos and his photos during a demonstration at Taksim square in downtown Istanbul. Dink, targeted by nationalist circles and the courts for his views on the 1915-18 killings of Armenians, was shot dead outside his office in what was immediately branded a "political assassination."(AFP/Mustafa Ozer)

#33 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

A sad day for us all. Let the Turks continue to re-enforce the world's perception of the barbarian Turk... And may God rest his soul.

--
Hellektor: I understand your anger. We are all angry - but please watch the language, and blatant hate-speak. It is not welcome here, and it sullies the name of Hrant Dink who strong stance transcended petty racial hate.

Marseliatsi: At Midnight?? I don't think that will make much impact. Noon would be better yes?

#34 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

IPB Image

An unidentified woman cries out as she looks down from the window of the Agos newspaper office at the body of Turkish-Armenian editor Hrant Dink on the pavement in front of the building in Istanbul January 19, 2007. Dink, who was convicted last year for insulting Turkey's identity, was shot dead outside his office on Friday. REUTERS/Stringer (TURKEY)

IPB Image

A relative of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink is guided away by policemen from the entrance to the Agos newspaper's office in Istanbul where Dink was killed. Dink, targeted by nationalist circles and the courts for his views on the 1915-18 killings of Armenians, was shot dead outside his office in what was immediately branded a "political assassination."(AFP/Mustafa Ozer)

IPB Image

An unidentified man kneels near the body of Turkish-Armenian editor Hrant Dink who lies covered on the pavement in front of his newspaper office in Istanbul January 19, 2007. Dink, who was convicted last year for insulting Turkey's identity, was shot dead outside his office on Friday. REUTERS/Stringer

#35 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

IPB Image

Armenian Patriarch Mesrob Mutafyan addresses the media in Istanbul January 19, 2007, declaring 15 days of mourning for the Armenian community after Turkish-Armenian editor Hrant Dink, a controversial writer and journalist, was shot by an unknown assailant as Dink left his newspaper office in central Istanbul. TURKEY OUT REUTERS/Anatolian/Oktay Cilesiz (TURKEY)

#36 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

IPB Image

A local shouts as he visits the scene where Turkish-Armenian editor Hrant Dink was shot dead outside his newspaper office in Istanbul January 19, 2007. Turkish broadcaster NTV said Dink, a controversial writer and journalist, was shot by an unknown assailant as he left his newspaper Agos around 1300 GMT in central Istanbul. REUTERS/Ahmet Ada (TURKEY)

IPB Image

An ambulance arrives to take the body of Turkish-Armenian editor Hrant Dink from the pavement in front of his newspaper office in Istanbul January 19, 2007. Dink, who was convicted last year for insulting Turkey's identity, was shot dead outside his newspaper office in Istanbul on Friday. REUTERS/Stringer (TURKEY)

#37 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

IPB Image

Police forensic officers investigate the scene where Turkish-Armenian editor Hrant Dink was shot dead outside his newspaper office in Istanbul January 19, 2007. Turkish broadcaster NTV said Dink, a controversial writer and journalist, was shot by an unknown assailant as he left his newspaper Agos around 1300 GMT in central Istanbul. REUTERS/Ahmet Ada (TURKEY)

#38 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

IPB Image

Protesters stage a sit-in as they hold pictures of Turkish-Armenian editor Hrant Dink to protest his killing in Istanbul January 19, 2007. Dink, who was convicted last year for insulting Turkey's identity, was shot dead outside his newspaper office in Istanbul on Friday. The leaflets read, 'We all are Hirant. We all are Armenians'. REUTERS/Stringer (TURKEY)

#39 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

IPB Image

#40 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE(Marseliatsi_M26 @ Jan 19 2007, 10:25 AM)  

WE MUST GATHER IN FRONT OF EVERY TURKISH EMBASSY AND CONSULATE TOMORROW AT 12 am TO PROTEST AGAINST THIS CRIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![b][color=#330033][u]

i'm sure someone will organize a protest in front of turkish embassy/consulate. we must get a permit first. lets leave it to the people who will organize it.

Mos Jan, thank you for the hard work you do for bringing us the latest news...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users